PDA

View Full Version : Now I am really, really sad...

sjleader
May 2nd, 2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I know, its over-- get a life, lol...

I have enjoyed SGU since the beginning but I gotta say the last couple of episodes have really kicked it up. I guess better to end good than get so super lame that you give on it but, seriously, what a huge bummer.

JUst venting....

MattSilver 3k
May 2nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
We're getting like one of these every week. I see about a dozen comments in other forums saying the same thing. It's sad that the sense of actual unity and positivity about the show has only come about now it's getting cancelled.

Paladine
May 2nd, 2011, 08:56 PM
I'm just sad the finale seems to be focusing on drones.

I would prefer a story dealing with destiny's mission, but maybe when the series reboots.

General Jumper One
May 2nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
I'm just sad the finale seems to be focusing on drones.

I would prefer a story dealing with destiny's mission, but maybe when the series reboots.

I like the drone story line.

Cold Fuzz
May 2nd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Franklin was very correct in Trial and Error. One threat passed--the Smurfs--only to have a much worse threat coming at Destiny--the drones. It would've been nice to see the Smurfs go at the drones some more but I think the Smurfs know they're heavily outmatched by the sheer numbers of drones and command ships.

ZoSo
May 2nd, 2011, 09:13 PM
We're getting like one of these every week. I see about a dozen comments in other forums saying the same thing. It's sad that the sense of actual unity and positivity about the show has only come about now it's getting cancelled.

I agree. I think it's really the writing that killed it back in season 1. I and many others never really got into the show until the second season. I still watched all of season 1, but I didn't enjoy it very much, and by season 2 it was too late.

Vanek26
May 2nd, 2011, 09:17 PM

Thats because Season 1 was such a departure. I didn't really like it, stuck with it, was rewarded with these masterpieces. And I re-watched some early season 1 recently, liked it better the 2nd time through.

MattSilver 3k
May 2nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
Oh I know why it happened, I'm just musing. I mean, even some the haters of early season one who love the show now can probably admit that if it wasn't for a few choice very character-y moments in the episodes early on, some of their liking for the show now would be gone. Even if they didn't realise it happened that way, it still did. Hmm.

General Jumper One
May 2nd, 2011, 09:26 PM
I agree. I think it's really the writing that killed it back in season 1. I and many others never really got into the show until the second season. I still watched all of season 1, but I didn't enjoy it very much, and by season 2 it was too late.

I love Season 1 as much as I love Season 2.

Replicator Todd
May 2nd, 2011, 09:33 PM
Season 2 is just outstanding. If only only shows were renewed based on quality. :(

jelgate
May 2nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
Season 2 is just outstanding. If only only shows were renewed based on quality. :(

What is quality to you is garbage to others

Kanten
May 2nd, 2011, 09:44 PM

If that's the logic we're going with then SG-1 should have been screwed seeing as it really didn't get moving until the last three episodes of Season 1. The difference there is that it had a network that was willing to stick with it and marketed it past its premiere.

SupremeLegate
May 2nd, 2011, 09:52 PM

Then I must have a VERY different idea of quality, because 95% of what is on TV is garbage too me.

escyos
May 2nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Ego Deserdi Universum.....

Shylodog
May 2nd, 2011, 10:21 PM

And yet, one man's trash is another man's treasure...

Replicator Todd
May 2nd, 2011, 10:32 PM

Yes. I know. :p

sjleader
May 2nd, 2011, 11:01 PM
I did love season one also!
I'd rather pay for a channel (like paying for HBO) that had shows like this, not even just sci-fi, but good stuff - I cant stand fake reality bullcrap or laugh tracks!...
Well, here to hoping warehouse 13 gets better and hopefully Blood and Chrome will do well- I was very much enjoying Caprica too--

Pecisk
May 2nd, 2011, 11:48 PM
I never had problem to enjoy Session 1. Those who are looking for excuse - yes, it lacked high octane action like this, but these episodes are only possible just because of serialized story telling - you actually care about characters because you have seen their way to this point. Chloe - who knew that she will turn into descent girl? Would you believe that she just start suddenly just behave like she used to now? Of course not.

Why people reject stories like this? Because it goes against 'it is just fast-food entertainment' nature of television. It is NOT something you can watch relaxed. You actually have to get involved. Ohh yes, there are several *serialized* series who have made big, but for how long?

knowles2
May 3rd, 2011, 02:17 AM
What really make me sad is that we will not see how TJ storyline turnsout like, see her slow decline and see the pain that will cause Young and Varro. An see Rush fight there demands to turn Destiny around and go look for the Noas people.

We will not see how Park will cope with her blindness.
An we will not see the Destiny reach her goal after tens of millions of years of trying to get there. An we will not see Volker get the girl in the end. That what makes me sad about the show ending.

But the reason it so great now is because they have spent time evolving the characters, letting them gain new abilities, learn to live and embrace there lives on Destiny. Season would not be nearly as great if we have not have had season 1 foundations.

The reason SG1 survive it first season was the network order several seasons worth of episodes when they commission the show. An season 2 episodes were being made and produce before season 1 finished airing its first season.

morrismike
May 3rd, 2011, 02:55 AM
Oh I know why it happened, I'm just musing. I mean, even some the haters of early season one who love the show now can probably admit that if it wasn't for a few choice very character-y moments in the episodes early on, some of their liking for the show now would be gone. Even if they didn't realise it happened that way, it still did. Hmm.
and many of the season 1 fans that are tolerating the return to what made the franchise what it is would have to admit a lot of the content of season 1 was unnecessary.

morrismike
May 3rd, 2011, 02:57 AM
In all fairness we (the fans) never got an opportunity to see that quality until the decision to cancel was already in place. TPTB made the choices that led to the downfall of the SG franchise. They took a really huge chance without using focus groups or anything else to gage SG fandoms response to "Joanie loves Chachy" and WE paid the price.

KEK
May 3rd, 2011, 03:08 AM
I saw that quality in season 1, as did others. Nothing much has changed beyond the pacing, compared to 1.5 anyway.

The Destiny
May 3rd, 2011, 03:37 AM
I saw that quality in season 1, as did others. Nothing much has changed beyond the pacing, compared to 1.5 anyway.

QFT

Many, many scenes of the first half of season 1 still rank as my favourites. The first half had an incredible atmosphere, the music was brilliant, brilliant I tell ya!

Pecisk
May 3rd, 2011, 04:25 AM
In all fairness we (the fans) never got an opportunity to see that quality until the decision to cancel was already in place. TPTB made the choices that led to the downfall of the SG franchise. They took a really huge chance without using focus groups or anything else to gage SG fandoms response to "Joanie loves Chachy" and WE paid the price.

Please cut it out. Quality was always there. You just started to get over your grief and anger over SGA - and ups, it was too late. Put blame where it belongs. I loved SGU "Time", which I think was one of the best eps (even after S2), and that was in S1!

Elite Anubis Guard
May 3rd, 2011, 04:47 AM

Indeed. I went into SGU expecting something fresh and different and got what I was after. Stargate with a twist. I loved most of SGU (Earth is probably the only one I'm not keen on) and count Time as one of my favorite SG episodes. I love the different style. I've loved S2 for the most part and I'm sad to see it go.

carmencatalina
May 3rd, 2011, 06:18 AM
I just want to say that I am so with you all in just getting sadder and sadder with each excellent episode - but I'm happy my favorite show is going out with a bang, with really great stories, and that we will get to see all of the stories that got finished.

Remember when some folks said that the episodes would be burned off, or never shown, because of the low ratings?

So glad that didn't happen, because these last few episodes have been fabulous!

Perelandra
May 3rd, 2011, 06:33 AM
I love Season 1 as much as I love Season 2.

Same here. and yes, I 'm very sad, too. After next week ,no new SGU:(
But I agree with what CC said above-these last few episodes have been outstanding!

Keeper
May 3rd, 2011, 10:02 AM
Please cut it out. Quality was always there. You just started to get over your grief and anger over SGA - and ups, it was too late. Put blame where it belongs. I loved SGU "Time", which I think was one of the best eps (even after S2), and that was in S1!

quality was always there, sure. but for some of us, it's been a bit too sporadic.

we, like you, have a right to our opinion. regardless of 'grief and anger' over another show, which i can assure you is not always the case.

i wasn't aware, when SGU was launched, that it had brought about the end of SGA (though i was aware SGA was cancelled.) i approached SGU willing to give it a chance, and for me, it failed to deliver reliably. this is of course my opinion, and i don't dispute that other people think differently - nor, really, do i care. let them.

good episodes, for me, have been limited enough that i wasn't planning on watching S3 anyway - but iirc, the viewing numbers for SGU have dropped since launch. a show of spectacular quality all the way through, delivering exactly what viewers want, doesn't lose viewers. i'm sure not all of those who have stopped watching have done so because of another show being cancelled - and while it's an easy scapegoat, it is by no means true for all, especially after airing started.

on-topic - i do agree that some of the more recent episodes have improved a lot. it's a shame that they didn't happen earlier, or that a similar approach didn't happen earlier. however: if the show is ever brought back in the future, or indeed if the franchise is brought back at some point, whoever picks it up can take a look over what SGU has provided. they can take a look at what worked and what didn't, and see the feedback that has been provided (bad as well as good) without having invested their time and attention to the show, and look more objectively at whether they can do things... not better, but differently.

and of course, if the show never returns, at least it's out on a high note, showing the crew trying to move forward.

Alien encounter
May 3rd, 2011, 11:16 AM
quality was there but theme was different. stargate fans are used to explore the space, techs, civs and in during, the characters.

first half of season 1 went all out to explore the characters, with very little about rest - the stuff a normal stargate fan expects. it was basically a different genre.

Air was very stargate like though. :vortex04:

kimmyg
May 3rd, 2011, 05:57 PM
Franklin was very correct in Trial and Error. One threat passed--the Smurfs--only to have a much worse threat coming at Destiny--the drones. It would've been nice to see the Smurfs go at the drones some more but I think the Smurfs know they're heavily outmatched by the sheer numbers of drones and command ships.

Who knows, maybe the drones followed the Smurfs back to their galaxy. Something we wouldn't see because that's going backwards from Destiny's mission.

kimmyg
May 3rd, 2011, 06:09 PM

I disagree. I think the writing of these characters, developing their backstory to a higher degree than either SG1 or SGA was important to really appreciate what is happening now in this show. I will also admit that I didn't know if I would like SGU after watching Air. I said to my friends as we watched it together, that this wasn't our normal Stargate. My friends complained that there was no one for them to like on the show. I stuck with it and like you I also had to watch S1 over again to connect the dots of story arc and allow these characters to grow on me.

I will truly miss this show when it ends. I only hope that MGM cleans out its cobwebs, looses their indecision and at the very least allows novels to be written to continue Destiny's story. Otherwise, its multiple views of BLU-RAY disc (Hear that MGM!) and writing & reading fan fiction.

kimmyg
May 3rd, 2011, 06:45 PM
quality was always there, sure. but for some of us, it's been a bit too sporadic. good episodes, for me, have been limited enough that i wasn't planning on watching S3 anyway

Okay, I can admit to some inconsistencies in the writing and pacing of the show. However, nothing was so grievous to make me not want to come back for more. To each their own in terms of happiness.

i wasn't aware, when SGU was launched, that it had brought about the end of SGA

I don't subscribe to that theory either. While I enjoyed watching both SG1 and SGA, the tired, episodic, creature/planet/gate kawoosh of the week was very snaggly of tooth. I liked from the beginning when SG1 created a story arc in those last few episodes of S1. It kept me coming back for more. SGA could have carried on another few seasons sure, and I would have watched it along with BSG. SGU did not, despite vehement claims from some people, kill SGA. The economy was starting to slip at the time some of those decisions were made. With pools of money drying up, TPTB who hold the money strings didn't want to sink funds into two shows in the same franchise. Yes, the producers did strongly state they didn't want to do two shows at the same time. Yes, they could have brought new blood in for either show, but possibly part of saving money was doing double duty. As most of them had already experienced that when SGA launched under SG1's wings, I can't blame them for wanting something of a life.

erotavlas
May 3rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Then I must have a VERY different idea of quality, because 95% of what is on TV is garbage too me.

Indeed !

k1037
May 3rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
I think a lot of people were so disoriented by SGU being different from the typical SG script that it took a while for the quality of the show to sink in. But if you go back and watch Season 1 now, I bet you'll find that it really wasn't as bad as you may remember.

Take the "classic Greer" speech at the beginning of "Light" (Season 1, Episode 5):
"I can't think of a better way to move on from this world into the next - or whatever comes - than to fly into the most powerful thing in all of creation: a star. Out in a blaze of glory. I like that. That's beautiful."

In the same episode, we had the crew take their first look at Destiny from a kino as it flew away - a great shot, a bittersweet scene in the shuttle with people telling Riley happy birthday, the epic moment when we realized Destiny powered up inside stars (and the entire ship started coming online), Young saying Rush needed "a lot of work," and that entire slingshot maneuver where Eli proclaimed himself "math boy" and asked, "Why am I watching this on TV?" Complete with epic music throughout. An incredible episode, but I bet a lot of people barely remember it.

I'll grant that four of the first ten episodes were kind of bleh, but 6/10 isn't all that bad, and two of those (Light/Time) were among the best episodes of Stargate ever, and the second half of Season 1 only had one episode which was a flat-out dud (Divided/Episode 16).

Rewatch Light, Time, Space, Lost or Sabotage and you'll spot the same incredible series that we've had in Season 2. I even enjoyed episodes like "Pain," "Subversion" and "Human" when I went back and rewatched them recently - despite thinking they were "so-so" at the time.