PDA

View Full Version : Drones

Spidey3121
May 2nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
I know we've had threads devoted to Drones before but considering this is a new episode i figured it wouldn't hurt, considering it gave us even more questions. Or at least it left me with quite a few. For instance...

(a) who built them?
(b) how many command ships are there?
(c) was this their original purpose?
(d) just how far and wide do they reach? We had thought we left them behind. Now we figure/know they tracked us to where we are now. It seems though they would have been in this region of space prior to our arrival given the condition of the planet we found...
(e) How is it that the home world of Novus went undetected if a less advanced colony such as this 1 drew their attention?

Also, they seem to know a lot about Destiny. Even if they ascertained that it recharged in a star in their first encounter how would they know to single out that specific type of star when blockading us?

Or am i thinking too much...? :-p

morbosfist
May 2nd, 2011, 06:20 PM
Novus went dark 30 years prior. This world had an active Stargate only a few years ago.

Spidey3121
May 2nd, 2011, 06:26 PM
Okay - so then the Drones have only been around within the past 30 years? I mean i guess that would be the assumption. It definitely seems as if these people were wiped out some time ago or at least prior to Destiny venturing through this region of space. There isn't a way to know for sure though :-/

And if they were "here" first (where we, Destiny, are now) what brought them all the out to where we first encountered them? I'm definitely confusing myself BTW, as points in space are too hard to keep track off. They should provide us with a big map of where we've been and where we're going. Never mind the fact that space is 3 dimensional...

Pharaoh Atem
May 2nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
Drones: what the borg should have been.

morbosfist
May 2nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
The drones, like any good automated weapon, would have one directive. Destroy, move on. Considering this, it's probable they just moved ahead from the Ursini, catching up to Novus space within the last few years. The Teneran colony wasn't pumping out enough EM to be a target, but a 21st century city like the colony in this episode would make a tempting target. Novus was already dead of EM, so no signal to attract them.

Replicator Todd
May 2nd, 2011, 07:03 PM
I love the Drones, they are like the SGU version of Replicators. Space Replicators..or something.

But I honestly think the question of who built them and why will never be answered. Even if SGU wasn't cancelled I believe there would be many questions that would never be answered by the writers on purpose. As Destiny and its crew would be the focus.

General Jumper One
May 2nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
But I honestly think the question of who built them and why will never be answered. Even if SGU wasn't cancelled I believe there would be many questions that would never be answered by the writers on purpose. As Destiny and its crew would be the focus.

Just like who and what created Eden.

Replicator Todd
May 2nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Just like who and what created Eden.

Right exactly! :)

Flibby
May 2nd, 2011, 08:04 PM
I think JM promised to answer all our questions once it's all over, so we may still get an answer, although I doubt it'll be very interesting out of context.

goga
May 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
Its possible that the Ursini know more about them and if we ever run into them they will tell us more.

Crias
May 2nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
All the ursini are dead :( sad day for anyone who likes aliens when a race is wiped out. But yah I’ve been thinking the same thing over the past few days, why didn’t the constant gate activity on Novus draw the drones? I guess it’s just going to be another one of these things that we will have to spend allot of time debating so we (the fans not the writers, I think it’s safe to assume that we won’t be getting much more info out of them) can all reach a conclusion that suits the story while not breaking any major rules.

Pharaoh Atem
May 2nd, 2011, 08:22 PM
Its possible that the Ursini know more about them and if we ever run into them they will tell us more.

dead all dead

Flibby
May 2nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
All the ursini are dead :( sad day for anyone who likes aliens when a race is wiped out. But yah I’ve been thinking the same thing over the past few days, why didn’t the constant gate activity on Novus draw the drones? I guess it’s just going to be another one of these things that we will have to spend allot of time debating so we (the fans not the writers, I think it’s safe to assume that we won’t be getting much more info out of them) can all reach a conclusion that suits the story while not breaking any major rules.

As far as we know, the drones weren't around that area until Destiny brought them.

Shylodog
May 2nd, 2011, 10:18 PM
As far as we know, the drones weren't around that area until Destiny brought them.

But they said in this episode that the planet had been devoid of life for years, and we know the Drones wiped out the inhabitants because of the newspaper. So Destiny did NOT bring these drones here. Of course this is contrary to what Rush insisted in Common Descent, so a plot hole has been detected moving into this system.

Flibby
May 2nd, 2011, 11:54 PM
Hopefully there's more to this than we know that will explain it in the next episode.

Ouroboros
May 3rd, 2011, 01:46 AM
I think one of the Novus offshoot civilizations created them, then used them against their neighbors only things went too far and they wiped out everything in sight including their fomer masters.

They might have been programmed to avoid Novus for some idealogical reason. Their creators didn't want it razed, maybe even planned to return there or open relations with their former homeworld.

They might also have intended to use the threat of the drones as diplomatic leverage. They were clearly more advanced technologically but maybe they needed for other things.

morrismike
May 3rd, 2011, 03:06 AM
I think one of the Novus offshoot civilizations created them, then used them against their neighbors only things went too far and they wiped out everything in sight including their fomer masters.

They might have been programmed to avoid Novus for some idealogical reason. Their creators didn't want it razed, maybe even planned to return there or open relations with their former homeworld.

They might also have intended to use the threat of the drones as diplomatic leverage. They were clearly more advanced technologically but maybe they needed for other things.

This is the only solution that makes sense.

The Destiny
May 3rd, 2011, 03:30 AM
No it isn't. Timetables solve all problems!

Timetable:
- whenever: drones are created

- whenever <-> couple years ago, let's say 20 ( to be clear: I made this number up ): the drones go dormant.

- 30 years ago: last gateactivity on Novus, the gate is destroyed/buried by eruptions. It's colonies still survive and use the gate.

- 20 years ago: The Ursini wake the drones.

- 20 years <-> a couple months ago: The Ursini battle the drones. During the war the drones come across the Novus colony and destroy the colony, or several colonies, and their technology. Among the destroyed planets is Novus Pittsburghus.

- a couple months ago: Destiny comes across the drones and the drones start chasing them

- last episode: The crew of the destiny comes across Novus Pittsburghus.

Easy as pie :)

Shylodog
May 3rd, 2011, 06:29 AM
It seems that the writers are edging closer to revealing that the drones were created by an offshoot of the Descendents. Maybe not, but with the line Scott(or Eli?) gave in this episode about how the Novans have been sending out colonial groups for hundreds of years, who's to say that one of those groups didn't start out as a penal colony? Hell-bent on getting back at those who cast them out?

AndSoItBegins
May 3rd, 2011, 06:39 AM
Drones: what the borg should have been.

Correction: what the Borg was until Star Trek:First Contact and the entire Star Trek: Voyager series.

thekillman
May 3rd, 2011, 07:17 AM

i consider this unlikely.

first and foremost, because the drones kick the crap out of Destiny and Destiny was built at the height of the Anquieta empire, so whoever built them was around ancient level.

second of all, given their directive, whoever built them didn't know or expect other races to exist than just them and their enemy, since "destroy any tech except our own" is a VERY open directive

KEK
May 3rd, 2011, 07:21 AM
I don't think the writers intended to reveal the origin of the drones any more than they already have. It's fairly inconsequential really.

mizzoueng
May 3rd, 2011, 07:31 AM
The function of the drones is puzzling. They first destroyed all high level tech on Pittsburguh, then they systematically went down the technological food chain until there were only people left and killed them all.

What I found weird is they targeted cars before people. It was said in the episode that volunteers drove the cars into the hills to buy time. Why would the drones attack unarmed immobile vehicles rather than the people that are targeting them?

Also, in the episode, the drone only attacked when it detected the radio signal. Is it possible if the people walked out with no tech on them, the drone would not have attacked?

Volker and the other got away (with no tech on them) and were not targeted while Greer and Scott were and they had the radios and guns. Is it possible their ONLY directive is to destroy tech and not lifeforms, well, unless those lifeforms are using tech then they are just in the crossfire.

And how long does it take for bones to decay into dust? Shouldn't there have been bodies in the streets or something?

Lastly, Novus was not attacked by the drones, it was wiped out by a volcano and the rouge black hole. The city was intact and there were no signs of damage other than seismic.

morbosfist
May 3rd, 2011, 07:45 AM
The people evacuated through the gate.

thekillman
May 3rd, 2011, 07:52 AM
What I found weird is they targeted cars before people. It was said in the episode that volunteers drove the cars into the hills to buy time. Why would the drones attack unarmed immobile vehicles rather than the people that are targeting them?

because humans are weak without tools and tools is what the Drones destroy. plus they do kill humans as proven in Blockade, they just focus on technology first.

Also, in the episode, the drone only attacked when it detected the radio signal. Is it possible if the people walked out with no tech on them, the drone would not have attacked?

drones aren't blind. they would've attacked. however if a car was nearby, it would've been destroyed the instant the Drone arrived.

Volker and the other got away (with no tech on them) and were not targeted while Greer and Scott were and they had the radios and guns. Is it possible their ONLY directive is to destroy tech and not lifeforms, well, unless those lifeforms are using tech then they are just in the crossfire.

their Main Directive is to annihilate all technology other than their own. lifeforms are probably covered in another programmed clause, probably under "attack if provoked "

And how long does it take for bones to decay into dust? Shouldn't there have been bodies in the streets or something?

i presume Wildlife would go crazy on all the food in the city.

Lastly, Novus was not attacked by the drones, it was wiped out by a volcano and the rouge black hole. The city was intact and there were no signs of damage other than seismic.

yes and? space is big, we don't know the detection radius for gate activity

morbosfist
May 3rd, 2011, 07:54 AM
first and foremost, because the drones kick the crap out of Destiny and Destiny was built at the height of the Anquieta empire, so whoever built them was around ancient level.Flawed logic. There are hundreds of drones per engagement. It's easy to win when you zerg rush your enemy. They don't have to be superior, just more numerous.

thekillman
May 3rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
I don't think the writers intended to reveal the origin of the drones any more than they already have. It's fairly inconsequential really.

true. but i think it's fairly obvious two powerful races had a clash. perhaps two factions of the same race had a clash. we can determine the following things:

-the species never discovered any other species, since the Drone Directive indicates no specifications on technology. it's just the "anything that's not us is an enemy" directive. aspecific mass annihilation. they probably had a subspace SETI (like the Aurora in Travellers) and determined that there was no other advanced presence to destroy, so they never put in effort to let the drones differentiate.

-given that the Drones can easily overcome Destiny and since we're only alive because we flee, we can determine that the creators of the Drones were roughly as advanced as the Ancients during their Milky Way prime.

-the enemies of the Drone Creators were about equally advanced. this can be determined because the Drones are linked to a single command ship and that ship only. Drones do not transfer command ships. this indicates that the enemy would've been capable of capturing and reprogramming Drones, so the Creators decided to isolate the Drones per Command Ship to prevent large-scale virus attacks.

-because the Directive is to destroy advanced technology mainly, we can determine that the Creators only desired to defeat, not annihilate.

thekillman
May 3rd, 2011, 08:02 AM
Flawed logic. There are hundreds of drones per engagement. It's easy to win when you zerg rush your enemy. They don't have to be superior, just more numerous.

the powersource and weapons that can fit into drones is, well, to cry about. if these tiny drones can hold weapons capable of defeating a much larger ship, i dread any battleship the creator race made. i dread the ships they were designed to defeat even more.

besides, do you really think that a zerg rush of 300 Death Gliders would even remotely damage the shields?

clearly they abuse one single fault within pretty much every capital ship design in Stargate: Point Defence.

morbosfist
May 3rd, 2011, 08:06 AM
the powersource and weapons that can fit into drones is, well, to cry about. if these tiny drones can hold weapons capable of defeating a much larger ship, i dread any battleship the creator race made. i dread the ships they were designed to defeat even more.

besides, do you really think that a zerg rush of 300 Death Gliders would even remotely damage the shields?

clearly they abuse one single fault within pretty much every capital ship design in Stargate: Point Defence.A single drone cannot defeat a larger ship. Hundreds of them can. I guarantee you that if you managed to gather a few hundred gliders and pitted them against a Hatak, the Hatak would go down. Destiny probably would, too. It's not nearly as advanced as late-era Ancient tech. You don't have to be superior when you have limitless backup.

thekillman
May 3rd, 2011, 08:13 AM
I guarantee you that if you managed to gather a few hundred gliders and pitted them against a Hatak,

ha ha ha. a 800+ m ship fitted with massive reactors and shields versus a, what, 10+ meter glider which has tiny weapons and a tiny reactor and no shield?

don't make me laugh.

the only uncertainty is that the Ha'tak has little to no point defence whereas Destiny has plenty.

You don't have to be superior when you have limitless backup.

you did see what a handful of plasma bolts did to Destiny?

i didn't say they were superior. they aren't, but they're in the same league. when you're talking about a multi-million year old race, it's not like a few hundred years fluctuation actually matters. it's like whining about decimals in a ZPM calculation.

A single drone cannot defeat a larger ship. Hundreds of them can.

deducting from dialogue, i'd say 100-150 drones were present. powerful, but the Blues couldn't crack the Destiny's shields over the course of several hours with multiple Motherships. those 100+ drones have the combined firepower and power output of multiple blue motherships. given how quick the battle progresses, i'd say about 5-8 Blue Motherships.

that's damn, damn impressive.

morbosfist
May 3rd, 2011, 08:18 AM
ha ha ha. a 800+ m ship fitted with massive reactors and shields versus a, what, 10+ meter glider which has tiny weapons and a tiny reactor and no shield?

don't make me laugh.

the only uncertainty is that the Ha'tak has little to no point defence whereas Destiny has plenty.As before, one glider may not be impressive. Hundreds pounding away on the shields all at once is going to do damage.

you did see what a handful of plasma bolts did to Destiny?

i didn't say they were superior. they aren't, but they're in the same league. when you're talking about a multi-million year old race, it's not like a few hundred years fluctuation actually matters. it's like whining about decimals in a ZPM calculation.Six drones were no threat. A hundred are. They aren't that powerful, no more than a glider based on the damage their weapons do to structures, but there's a lot of them.

deducting from dialogue, i'd say 100-150 drones were present. powerful, but the Blues couldn't crack the Destiny's shields over the course of several hours with multiple Motherships. those 100+ drones have the combined firepower and power output of multiple blue motherships. given how quick the battle progresses, i'd say about 5-8 Blue Motherships.

that's damn, damn impressive.Three motherships, and they fire fairly slow. The drones fire a lot faster and there's a lot more of them. Not saying they aren't of a higher order than the blues, that much is fairly obvious, but Ancient level is pushing it.

Azriel
May 3rd, 2011, 08:46 AM
I would be interested to see how effective any number of these Drones would be against a Destiny class ship that had just rolled off the assembly line. Bottom line is it's an unfair comparison given the condition Destiny is in, the fact her systems are barely functioning the majority of the time and the amount of damage she's sustained over the years. Add to that how old she is and it doesn't surprise me that these Drones could quickly overwhelm her shields.

Of course the fact that Drones are small, agile, whereas Destiny presents a large, slow moving target doesn't help.

thekillman
May 3rd, 2011, 09:59 AM
As before, one glider may not be impressive. Hundreds pounding away on the shields all at once is going to do damage.

yes but the energy output of a fighter versus a carrier is crazy. it's literally a thousand times higher. and that matters because in this universe, that power is used for shields. and those shields are hard to penetrate with 100 ships which collectively are still weaker than the capital ship. Death Gliders are laughably weak. they would only win because a Ha'tak has pretty much zero effective weapons against them.

i'm interested in a 304 versus the drones, since our CIWS and even a few nukes would do miracles.

Three motherships, and they fire fairly slow. The drones fire a lot faster and there's a lot more of them. Not saying they aren't of a higher order than the blues, that much is fairly obvious, but Ancient level is pushing it.

Ancient level depends on how you define it. plus what order of tolerance you add to it. i'm talking about 1000+ years deviation. which is very small given that the ancients are 50+ million years old.

Three motherships, and they fire fairly slow

does that matter? they put what seems like several seconds of their shio's output into a bolt of energy and that only mildly rocks the ship. 10 or so Drone Blasts rock the ship harder than that. the Drones overcame the shields much faster, while being, what, 1/1000th the size of a Blue Mothership? perhaps even 1/10 000th of a Blue Mothership.

even if we rip all crew-associated systems out of a Blue Mothership, the Drones still have a higher level of firepower per cubic meter. at least an order of magnitude.

Of course the fact that Drones are small, agile, whereas Destiny presents a large, slow moving target doesn't help

the only effective weapon against the drones is nuclear flak. i'm talking a series of weapons with roughly 5 Kt warheads launching them into outer space and detonating once they're like 50-100 meters away, before the drones can properly target them.

though Destiny has proper Point Defence, it seems designed more against mid-small sized warhships (al'kesh to prometheus) than drones the size of tel'tak.

i think a 304 would, with a bit of knowledge on Drones, completely and utterly kick their collective asses. vastly superior rate of fire with good impact capacity. the drones do not appear to have any form of shields on them or their command ships, so the railguns are effective. APBW's would deprive the command ships of their privates.

wabbit42
May 3rd, 2011, 10:04 AM
Flawed logic. There are hundreds of drones per engagement. It's easy to win when you zerg rush your enemy. They don't have to be superior, just more numerous.

Destiny is also quite old, and as has been stated time and time again in the series, not at anywhere near full capacity.

Ouroboros
May 3rd, 2011, 10:17 AM

first and foremost, because the drones kick the crap out of Destiny and Destiny was built at the height of the Anquieta empire, so whoever built them was around ancient level.

Destiny isn't that hot combatively to be perfectly honest. The last episode showed just hoe feebly under gunned it actually is, and it's been worn down and shot to pieces for millions of years.

The drones attack in swarms of dozens at a time and if they were built by a civilization that originated on Destiny/Novus I could easily see them being a threat to the battered old ship.

second of all, given their directive, whoever built them didn't know or expect other races to exist than just them and their enemy, since "destroy any tech except our own" is a VERY open directive

That's also been inferred to be their objective by the team. A situation like this could have potentially arisen when the people under attack by them tried to reprogram them in time honoured stargate tradition, that is removing whatever IFF system they had that prevented them from attacking their creators technology as well.

They got overzealous in removing it though, possibly because they didn't fully understand the tech they were dealing with, and what resulted was similar to the Asuran thing in Atlantis. The drones just started attacking everyone.

morbosfist
May 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
yes but the energy output of a fighter versus a carrier is crazy. it's literally a thousand times higher. and that matters because in this universe, that power is used for shields. and those shields are hard to penetrate with 100 ships which collectively are still weaker than the capital ship. Death Gliders are laughably weak. they would only win because a Ha'tak has pretty much zero effective weapons against them.Energy output doesn't matter against numbers. All those ships firing from every angle would put undue stress on the shield emitters. In fact, that's pretty much why Destiny keeps losing. They can't take so much fire from so many directions.

i'm interested in a 304 versus the drones, since our CIWS and even a few nukes would do miracles.304s would fare much better, but it would still lose unless it could catch the entire cloud with a nuke or two. Once they started swarming, it'd be over. The ship wouldn't likely survive a close-range detonation unless it was a low-yield warhead.

Ancient level depends on how you define it. plus what order of tolerance you add to it. i'm talking about 1000+ years deviation. which is very small given that the ancients are 50+ million years old.If you consider Ancient level on the same level as Destiny, then I'd still treat them as inferior. Their command ship was beaten down easily by a few shots from the main cannon. What makes them dangerous is their numbers.

does that matter? they put what seems like several seconds of their shio's output into a bolt of energy and that only mildly rocks the ship. 10 or so Drone Blasts rock the ship harder than that. the Drones overcame the shields much faster, while being, what, 1/1000th the size of a Blue Mothership? perhaps even 1/10 000th of a Blue Mothership.

even if we rip all crew-associated systems out of a Blue Mothership, the Drones still have a higher level of firepower per cubic meter. at least an order of magnitude.The blues are doubtless weaker, but I would not say by much. If they could fire their main cannons faster, Destiny would lose in minutes instead of hours. As I've said continuously, drones only have more firepower by volume, not case by case. A single drone is no more than a smaller, unmanned glider as far as the last episode shows, maybe slightly more powerful.

pbellosom
May 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM

I thought it predated most the Empire? Also it's in nowhere near it's original condition, it's falling apart and can be taken out by things that it would probably not even notice when it was in its prime. I took this as a deliberate way of lowering the increasingly ridiculous power levels of ships in SG1 and SGA. I imagine a 304 would utterly massacre the Destiny, the blues or possibly even the drones. But in the region of the universe where the Destiny is, all the ships are less powerful than Milky Way built ones.

Spidey3121
May 3rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Lots to respond to here...

Some people have indicated that the writers never intended to give us an explanation on where the Drones originated from. I however find that to be somewhat unlikely. Those same people usually add on that it's inconsequential and that it's the people on Destiny that should be the focus. Now in principal i agree, and this is the same reason i frown upon episodes that result on impending threats to Earth (Lucian Alliance). I would have also let it go if the Drones only appeared in our mid-season 2 parter. A 1 off where we find Alien technology, it engages us, we get away (we go through the gate, get into trouble, get out of it). Since they've become such a reoccurring nemesis though i want to know more.

As for how advanced they are i'm not one for comparing the previously encountered technology. They seem to have a significant advantage over ourselves and other aliens we've encountered (in Universe) however. Now i believe they hypothesized that the creators died out but of course we don't know this for a fact. If the Drones were truly intended to wipe out any alien technology (presumably an enemy of their creators) then they too are probably gone seeing as the Drones still remain.

Basically though i want to know how far an wide the Drones reach in space. When encountering them in Common Descent it was remarked that we (thought we) had left "Drone Occupied Space" and then came to the conclusion that they were tracking Destiny through use of the Stargates. This is a head scratcher though as (a) why did it take them several episodes to catch up when we had been using the Stargate? (b) how is it they were lying in wait for us when we had just dropped out of FTL? Although now that i think about it we had dialed a gate long enough to send a Kino but for them to arrive so quickly seems suspect. Could it have been a different command ship (than seen in Deliverance) altogether? I mean we don't know how many command ships there are...

And really i have to believe they were already in said region of space to have found Pittsburgh in such rough shape. I got the impression that the city was targeted prior to the Destiny's arrival in the region. Of course for Novus to remain intact the Drones would have had to only show up within the past 30 years...

Ugh - too many questions, too few answers :-p

garhkal
May 3rd, 2011, 06:25 PM
I think JM promised to answer all our questions once it's all over, so we may still get an answer, although I doubt it'll be very interesting out of context.

Its a pity we just get the answer that way rather than IN the show..

It seems that the writers are edging closer to revealing that the drones were created by an offshoot of the Descendents. Maybe not, but with the line Scott(or Eli?) gave in this episode about how the Novans have been sending out colonial groups for hundreds of years, who's to say that one of those groups didn't start out as a penal colony? Hell-bent on getting back at those who cast them out?

When? What time? I never heard that.

because humans are weak without tools and tools is what the Drones destroy. plus they do kill humans as proven in Blockade, they just focus on technology first.

From seeing the ep, it looks just like it shot at poss tech (or threats with the can trick).

Wraith tactics 101

I would be interested to see how effective any number of these Drones would be against a Destiny class ship that had just rolled off the assembly line. Bottom line is it's an unfair comparison given the condition Destiny is in, the fact her systems are barely functioning the majority of the time and the amount of damage she's sustained over the years. Add to that how old she is and it doesn't surprise me that these Drones could quickly overwhelm her shields.

Heck, what 6 blue shuttles did it? So i agree, their bumb rushing and smacking the Destiny around is only working CAUSE of her condition.

spaceship
May 3rd, 2011, 08:35 PM
I don't see how you guys can compare the drones to either the borg or the replicators. The borg were so much more. They sought perfection. The replicators also had character. They wanted to be like the ancients that made them. The drones just want to kill kill kill.

Shylodog
May 3rd, 2011, 08:36 PM
When? What time? I never heard that.

When the Kino was giving them their first look at Pittsburg. Eli told Young that the Novans had been sending out colonists for hundreds of years, and based on ideologies, isolation, etc, that's they may have varying levels of technology. The part about a penal colony was pure speculation on my part.

Shylodog
May 3rd, 2011, 08:38 PM
I don't see how you guys can compare the drones to either the borg or the replicators. The borg were so much more. They sought perfection. The replicators also had character. They wanted to be like the ancients that made them. The drones just want to kill kill kill.

Only some of the Pegasus Replicators wanted to be like the ancients. Most of them wanted to destroy all that the Ancients created and loved. The Milky Way Replicators just sought to replicate.

garhkal
May 4th, 2011, 02:51 PM

The Reps were separate from the Asurans who wanted to emulate the Ancients..

spaceship
May 4th, 2011, 08:51 PM
They were referred to as human-form replicators.

spaceship
May 4th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Only some of the Pegasus Replicators wanted to be like the ancients. Most of them wanted to destroy all that the Ancients created and loved. The Milky Way Replicators just sought to replicate.

Yes that is sort of the point. There was something going on there. Some power struggle. But nothing of the sort with the drones. They're all just the same lifeless machines.

Shylodog
May 4th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Yes that is sort of the point. There was something going on there. Some power struggle. But nothing of the sort with the drones. They're all just the same lifeless machines.

Just like the MW replicators.

erotavlas
May 8th, 2011, 07:42 AM
You know what doesn't make sense to me is this. The drones are out to destroy all technology so whoever invented them has a thing against any civilization with technology. Yet the drones themselves are also technology. Why don't they destroy themselves?

KEK
May 8th, 2011, 09:15 AM
foreign technology*

ggf31416
May 13th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Destiny is not a military ship, it's an old rusty science ship made by a pacifist civilization. It's not surprising that drones are dangerous to Destiny.

garhkal
May 13th, 2011, 03:45 PM
True dat.. Heck it seems that until the Ancients encountered the wraith, they were VERY pacifistic in their ways.

GoodSmeagol
May 15th, 2011, 02:43 PM
lmao zerg rush
Attack a planetary fortress with 200 lings. A good 150 of them will die a horrible death. However even with their small 4 dmg per attack they WILL kill it if you attack it with enough zergligns pretty fast too.
*Drones vs Destiny

Fly in 3 Brood Lords, they will sit and shoot at the PF for much longer then the 200 zerglings would have.
They will leave alive once the PF is dead tho.
*Blue MS vs Destiny.

Sorry I just hadda draw out 'zerg rush;

jedc28
June 4th, 2012, 03:33 AM
If you consider Ancient level on the same level as Destiny, then I'd still treat them as inferior. Their command ship was beaten down easily by a few shots from the main cannon. What makes them dangerous is their numbers.

Yeah their numbers but, after season 2, it was clear that there are ALOT of command ships in that galaxy, each command ship are equipped with hyperdrive, with that many of command ship, i can safely assume the creators of the drones, are as advanced or more advanced than the ancients, with that many of command ships the civilization that created them must have been a galactic empire which can span multiple galaxies. Yes any ship youve seen from SGA- AND SG1 decimates the command ship. Do you seriously believe that the race that built them have no battleship?

garhkal
June 5th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Depends on why they had the drones in the first place.. And i doubt they were in more than 1 galaxy.