Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Descendant ship armaments (Contains spoilers Epilogue)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Descendant ship armaments (Contains spoilers Epilogue)

Ok so in the last episode we find out that the descendants built ships to escape the rogue black hole. We also know that the reason the crew had to abandon destiny was because of the drone attack. Now if they already knew of the drones then would the descendants have built ships that could withstand or fight the drones off and if so what would they have looked like or been capable of? And do you think there would have been any resemblance to Destinys weapons.
    sigpic

It wouldn't be armed. For one, they don't know the drones are in the neighborhood. They'd be dead if they were. We don't even know if the crew passed it on. Actually, we can be pretty sure they didn't given the colonists' surprise. Second, they were a little busy just trying to survive. Guns are a non-issue.

Comment

we do know that the ships were built by both sides working together, so from that we can surmise they don't need ship-based weapons to fight each other.

while we can't be sure, i find it unlikely that they've encountered any other life form that would be a threat - their first encounter with drones was when destiny brought them to the colony world. that is implied by the colonists not knowing what the drones were. however, it can also be assumed from the fact that - at least as far as i'm aware - the drones aren't even from this galaxy. 2000 years ago, they shouldn't be anywhere near novus, and since they're tracking destiny specifically by gate use, it's fair to say that they should have attacked novus before now - actually, about 30 years ago, at most recent, when the gate was in use. before the lava destroyed it.

it's actually false that the crew had to abandon destiny because of a drone attack - the crew that landed on novus went back 2000 years in time because of a solar flare, which occurred while trying to connect to earth to send most of the crew home. at no point, in the SGU i'm watching so far, have the crew ever abandoned destiny because of the drones.
      Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
        It wouldn't be armed. For one, they don't know the drones are in the neighborhood. They'd be dead if they were. We don't even know if the crew passed it on. Actually, we can be pretty sure they didn't given the colonists' surprise. Second, they were a little busy just trying to survive. Guns are a non-issue.
        I disagree. They know that there's other life out there (as evidenced by their arrival as the survivors of another planet's expedition...), so why wouldn't they arm their ships? There could be hostile aliens all around them, if I was evacuating my entire world's populace on a mission that would take centuries, I'd have those transports armed to the teeth for protection.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          I disagree. They know that there's other life out there (as evidenced by their arrival as the survivors of another planet's expedition...), so why wouldn't they arm their ships? There could be hostile aliens all around them, if I was evacuating my entire world's populace on a mission that would take centuries, I'd have those transports armed to the teeth for protection.
          they were surprised by the use of the gate, and investigated. all the colonists were from novus, or descended from them, which doesn't imply any knowledge of any other life - just an awareness of the gate system, and that some planets are safe for them. they're no doubt aware of the potential of other life - after all they came from a far, far distant galaxy in their origins - but unless they've encountered something to make them prepare for a threat, they'd have no reason to do so here.

it was at least implied that the ships were only built because both sides were prepared to work together.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
            they were surprised by the use of the gate, and investigated. all the colonists were from novus, or descended from them, which doesn't imply any knowledge of any other life - just an awareness of the gate system, and that some planets are safe for them. they're no doubt aware of the potential of other life - after all they came from a far, far distant galaxy in their origins - but unless they've encountered something to make them prepare for a threat, they'd have no reason to do so here.

it was at least implied that the ships were only built because both sides were prepared to work together.
            ...that's my point. They're well aware that other intelligent life exists in the universe, so why would they take a chance that in their 300 year cryo-journey, they won't run into anything hostile while they're floating defenseless in space? I just can't see them not taking weapons into consideration.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
              ...that's my point. They're well aware that other intelligent life exists in the universe, so why would they take a chance that in their 300 year cryo-journey, they won't run into anything hostile while they're floating defenseless in space? I just can't see them not taking weapons into consideration.
              erm, i think you missed mine to be honest.

the only intelligent life they know of in this galaxy is on novus.

they're aware of the gate system, and that some planets are safe - but they have not indicated meeting any other races out there. and aside from the predator in The Hunt, the current destiny crew haven't met any intelligent life here either.

there's no reason to take weapons into consideration, when they ceased hostilities on the planet just to get off it - in fact, i can give you a good reason to not put weapons on ships: trust. if one side got control they could use weapons to destroy the other group. depending on how completely hostilities were ceased, they may not trust each other enough with weapons.

edit - weapons, in most cases, require a concious crew to operate - novus has only just reached space, and i can't see them building AI, capable of dealing with threats in an appropriate manner, quickly enough to be viable.

Comment

they were more concerned about getting off the planet than weapons, imo.

Comment

They would need to be aware of the possibility of other life. After all the reason they ended up on Novis was because the alien built ship (ancients) they were on was attacked by the left over weapons of another alien race because another alien civilisation (Ursini) tricked them into fighting. Besides if your entire civilisation has been packed up to be moved to another planet wouldn’t you want to keep them safe at all costs?
                  sigpic

Comment

If weapons were equipped to the ships, then I would have to say railguns or something primitive like that. No energy weapons.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                      and since they're tracking destiny specifically by gate use, it's fair to say that they should have attacked novus before now - actually, about 30 years ago, at most recent, when the gate was in use.
                      And 30 years before Destiny was there, they weren't tracking it... so the Drones had no reason to constantly detect active wormholes.

(Sorry about double-post)
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
                        They would need to be aware of the possibility of other life. After all the reason they ended up on Novis was because the alien built ship (ancients) they were on was attacked by the left over weapons of another alien race because another alien civilisation (Ursini) tricked them into fighting. Besides if your entire civilisation has been packed up to be moved to another planet wouldn’t you want to keep them safe at all costs?
                        You're assuming they know all this. There's no indication they were left with any history other than the basic facts.

Even assuming they did know, it would be ridiculous to waste time stuffing weapons onto the ship when the planet was literally becoming uninhabitable. Moreover, if they knew, then they couldn't be so stupid as to think any weapon they had could hope to be a match against the threats Destiny faced.

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
                          but they ddin't leave destiny for novus because they were attacked - they left because they messed up with a solar dialling, in Twin Destinies.

they're vaguely aware of other life in the galaxy - not that it's anywhere near them. which it hasn't been until now, i might add.

Comment

I be surprise if someone like Young and especially Geer did not make sure there descendent's would know about the drones and there abilities and possible ways of avoiding the drones.

To me I suspect that Novas armed at least some of there ships, and traveled in convoy to there new home. Those arements would at least included nuclear weapons, and possible energy weapons or some for of rail guns or other type of defensive weapons.

Also us humans have encountered more hostile life forms in the universe than friendly ones, I would not be surprise Young and co laid out special rules and procedures on Kino footage on what to do if they encountered other aliens life forms. It be something I would do before I die building a civilization on the edge of the universe.

An Young and co seem to have work tirelessly to lay a solid foundation for there colony, it does not make sense they left the colony without any knowledge of what lay out there in the universe, the Smurfs, the Ursinis, the drones and the Faith aliens. An at least some ways to defend themselves or hide. The last one would make more sense when they first setting up the colony.

Of cause as the government and there society got more sophiscated its possible that they restricted access to this knowledge to only people that needed to know, it possible the people on the colony Destiny first found simply was not inform about the drones and the aliens.

Comment

The colonists knew nothing about the drones. That right there disproves any notion that they were somehow warned by the original crew. When Novus was founded, the idea was survival. They laid the foundation for civilization, not defense against alien threats.

Comment

Working...
                              X