Which shows should I check out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which shows should I check out?

I haven't been following TV much since January, 2009. I slowly made my way through Sanctuary's second season, but that's it. If ya'll could give positive and negative feedback on the below shows I may watch, I'd appreciate it.

Castle: This is nearing the end of it's third season. It's basically a cop drama-comedy. The central characters are a female cop and a male author who's teamed up with her to develop a new character for his next detective book.

Roswell: I've seen this, but it only ran 61 episodes over 3 seasons. It's been years since I've watched an episode. To those who've seen it recently, worth revisiting?

Sanctuary: I've seen the first two seasons, but I'm starting to loose interest. I like the wacky feel, and I love the cast. Unfortunately, I'm finding the characters more interesting than the stories which is leaving me bored with the show.

Stargate: Universe: If you post in the SGU forum, you know my feelings on the show. I'm thinking of checking this out given that there probably won't be a fourth series. Since January, 2009; the only new Stargate I've seen is this show's opening three episodes. How many episodes would you recommend seeing before judging the show?

The Walking Dead: I'm not into zombie horror beyond the odd film, but is this worth checking out? Is it just run from the zombies, or is it more of a survival thriller? I love survival stories.

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Stargate: Universe: If you post in the SGU forum, you know my feelings on the show. I'm thinking of checking this out given that there probably won't be a fourth series. Since January, 2009; the only new Stargate I've seen is this show's opening three episodes. How many episodes would you recommend seeing before judging the show?
    on a personal note, i found air 123 to be good, rest of season 1 part 1 to be... almost grounds for quitting at the midway. from the mid-season point, it was generally better than the first half, and i decided to give season 2 a look, though i wasn't hoping for anything spectacular to come along - i just hoped it wouldn't go down again in my opinion.

season 2 part 1, and indeed part 2 prior to common descent: i made the decision to not bother with season 3. common descent and epilogue, while i've found them to be very good episodes, haven't altered that decision.
    Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

What would you class as being your favorite shows, like what interests you?

Could help knowing what you like and look for in a show to see if you would like the one you have listed.

Comment

One word: Fringe
        sigpic

Comment

Warehouse 13
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

SGU. Give it the whole of season one before you judge it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
              SGU. Give it the whole of season one before you judge it.
              yep, as in: Dont judge the book by its cover!
              sigpic

Comment

The Walking Dead is one of the best new shows on TV.
                sigpic

Comment

Keeper: Basically, the show doesn't pick up till half way into the first season? Why didn't you like the second season? Don't worry about not watching the third season, the show's been cancelled.

Tanith0709: My favorite cancelled shows are Firefly, Star Trek (all five shows), Stargate (SG-1 & Atlantis), and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I like science-fiction, but the show doesn't have to be sci-fi. It just has to have great characters, realistic drama, and brilliant writing.

Mr Evil 37: I have to wait 20 episodes before it gets good?

magictrick: Why do you recommend The Walking Dead?

Comment

@OP:
                    Of your listed shows, I only really enjoy SGU (I think the pace picks up mid-season, but even the first half is worth watching, IMHO) and Castle (a bit predictable at times, but quite funny).
                    I like Sanctuary, but it gets a bit 'slow', at times. I never followed Roswell or The Walking Dead (not a fan of zombie stuff).

For something yet to be mentioned in the thread, I'd wholeheartedly recommend:
                    Farscape

Hmm. Good writing? If you're ok with anime, I'd also recommend the Ghost in the Shell series: GitS: Stand Alone Complex and GitS: SAC: 2nd Gig (and the movie after the two series, GitS: SAC: Solid State Society)
                    It's a bit 'talky' at times, but the action sequences are quite good. I like the tech, too. (the anime is 'cleaner', I think, than the more 'cyberpunk-ish' feel of the comics/manga, but that could also, probably, be attributed to Masamune Shirow's art style in the manga)
                    sigpic

Comment

I tried watching, but I found Farscape too disturbing. It was just... too weird. As for cartoons, I like animated movies, but I just don't like cartoons enough to watch ongoing series.

Comment

Keeper: Basically, the show doesn't pick up till half way into the first season? Why didn't you like the second season? Don't worry about not watching the third season, the show's been cancelled.
                        imho, a well-deserved cancellation too - i'd have hated leaving the rest of the show unwatched.

unfortunately, i felt that season 2 suffered from the same flaw as season 1 part 1 - nothing really happens.

for a character-driven story, i've got 2 characters i give a damn about - and only greer would annoy me if he were killed off. rush could die, and while i'd miss an admittedly enjoyable character, that's about as far as it goes.

admittedly, i know there are some for whom the show just kept getting better since the start. i just don't see it myself - it feels more like a yoyo. one with diminishing returns on the back half of the season at that.

i personally believe that the writing team may have been a liability on SGU tbh. it seemed that a lot of the folks working on it were there from atlantis, and even far back into SG1 time - and trying to write BSG. i just never got the impression that it was what they wanted - they wanted the associated success though, and were prepared to force themselves into the work for it. i didn't really notice any major character developments, most of them seem pretty similar to what they were at the start of the first season to me - and, in case of chloe, she had to be smurfed to become interesting.

forced situations to make a character have anything to do to stop them taking up space, are just that - forced. like i say though, the writing team weren't used to, nor i believe interested in, the style they chose for BattleStarGateUniverse - and i would go so far as to suggest that the writers may not have wanted to try to market a new franchise with a 'done before' concept when an existing one was available to plug it into. the characters themselves had potential which was routinely wasted by writers.

the lack of the stargate's use didn't help matters of course - stargate:destiny has two concepts in the title. and the universe is a bit too broad a concept for the viewer to instantly associate with the show. i've yet to see any show where the title disassociated from the content - success or failure. in SG1/A cases, even while the gate went toward disuse the remainder of the title remained relevant. some can say it doesn't matter what a show is named - and that's true, up to a point. but i'd love to see how star trek (original series) would have worked, using the concept we know of it, if it had used dr who as a title - i can't help but think that it would have flopped after a few episodes, with people wondering who this dr was supposed to be.

the lack of any noticeable turning points for the crew - individually or collectively - didn't help me much in an apparently character-driven show, but nor did the fact they were stuck on the ship the whole time, with nothing happening even in terms of action, and with no real motion on the plotline. we're a little further on than we were at the start of season 1 - we know now that destiny is following the 'god code.' a comparison is that within a couple of episodes we knew SG1 had annoyed the goa'uld, SGA had woke up the wraith, and both were doing something about it - whereas in SGU the code is known about and no one seems to care. it's not even a topic for discussion among the characters - they have to bring people from earth to talk about it, and it isn't something that is done to help the viewers. we're along for the ride - both crew and viewers - and with no clue where we're going, i'm glad that i would have had the choice to get off, if the ride had continued.

i'll point out again, this is my personal thoughts. i'm not going to say 'do' or 'don't' watch SGU - but i'll say watch it with an open mind that the execs have made some serious changes, and consider - this may not, for some people, even be a real stargate show.
                        Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Just out of curiosity have you watched Babylon 5? Would highly suggest that if you haven't.

Other shows I'd recommend;

Fringe: Starts out episodic (Event of the week etc) but moves into story arcs later on. In my opinion its probably one of the last good US science fiction series thats still on the air and been renewed for another season.

The Walking Dead: I LOVE this series. Its finally a good show involving zombies. It's not like a horror film though, it's more like trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world.

Primeval (Still ongoing): UK series. Has a kinda similar feel to SG1 in its early seasons imo. Lower budget so the effects aren't the best ever but the story and acting more than make up for that. It's also one of the few times where a show is brought back after cancellation.

Dr Who: If you like humor and fun in your science fiction then this is a must.

Not sure if you would be into this but have been 2 really good series set in the time of Rome, involving arena fights, Gladiator training etc and tells the story of Spartacus: Spartacus Blood & Sand & Spartacus Gods Of The Arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith0709 View Post
                            Just out of curiosity have you watched Babylon 5? Would highly suggest that if you haven't.
                            I prefer Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Fringe: Starts out episodic (Event of the week etc) but moves into story arcs later on. In my opinion its probably one of the last good US science fiction series thats still on the air and been renewed for another season.
                            I liked it better when it was The X Files.

The Walking Dead: I LOVE this series. Its finally a good show involving zombies. It's not like a horror film though, it's more like trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world.
                            If it's more post-apocalyptic than zombie fest, I may try the first season. Only six episodes.

Primeval (Still ongoing): UK series. Has a kinda similar feel to SG1 in its early seasons imo. Lower budget so the effects aren't the best ever but the story and acting more than make up for that. It's also one of the few times where a show is brought back after cancellation.
                            I looked it up. I'll pass, it's too all over the place.

Dr Who: If you like humor and fun in your science fiction then this is a must.
                            Too cartoony.

Not sure if you would be into this but have been 2 really good series set in the time of Rome, involving arena fights, Gladiator training etc and tells the story of Spartacus: Spartacus Blood & Sand & Spartacus Gods Of The Arena.
                            I like period films, but when it comes to television; I prefer either present-day or a futuristic setting.

Comment

[re: Fringe]
                              I liked it better when it was The X Files.
                              That comparison becomes less and less accurate as the first season goes on, and is pretty much worthless by season 2. It's a bloody brilliant show.

EDIT:
                              Going back to your list:
                              Normally can't stand police procedurals, but Castle's great - generally sharp writing, solid cast with good chemistry.

The first episode of The Walking Dead is excellent, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the rest. Didn't really connect with the characters.

I freaking love SGU. Couldn't say how many episodes you should give it, though, aside from just outright saying "all of it" - I was pretty much on board by the end of Air, definitely after Darknss/Light.
                              Season 2 is certainly better than Season 1, but I liked Season 1 a lot anyway, and a lot of what I'm loving about this season is a result of what was laid down in the first, like the development of the Young/Rush relationship.

Random other great shows: Supernatural and Justified.
                              Last edited by Naonak; 01 May 2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X