Speed Of Destiny [SPOILERS Epilogue] not very accurate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed Of Destiny [SPOILERS Epilogue] not very accurate

Yes i know that "Speed of Destiny" sounds like some romance song/movie , but let's try to calculate the speed of the ship named destiny .

Warning I am not Very Good at math so check my math before attacking me .

Ok before i start i will use some premises :

A.) Biggest speed

- The ships that the Novas use have 0.90 c ( i will also post the numbers for 0.5 c and 0.25 c) .
    - They take 900 years to get to their destination ( they said hundreds of years and anything less would ) .

Calculations for A :

1.) finding out the distance in light years ( Travel distance * Speed of novas ships = distance )

900 years * 0.9 c = 810 Ly .

2.) Calculating the speed of destiny based on the fact that it covers the same distance in 10 days ( Distance / 10 days = Speed of destiny in Ly/Days )

810 / 10 = 81 Ly/day

I will compare that with the distance to PG ( the real life PG ) a little later .

B .) Medium speed

- The ships that the Novas use have 0.50 c .
    - They take 500 years to get to their destination ( medium distance ) .

Calculations for B :

1.) finding out the distance in light years ( Travel distance * Speed of novas ships = distance )

500 years * 0.5 c = 250 Ly .

2.) Calculating the speed of destiny based on the fact that it covers the same distance in 10 days ( Distance / 10 days = Speed of destiny in Ly/Days )

250 / 10 = 25 Ly/day

D .) Slow speed

- The ships that the Novas use have 0.25 c .
    - They take 300 years to get to their destination ( Because i like the sound of 300 ) .

Calculations for D :

300 years * 0.25 c = 75 Ly .

75 / 10 = 7.5 Ly/day

E .) 250 years travel

- The ships that the Novas use have 0.80 c .
    - They take 250 years to get to their destination ( Because i like the sound of 300 ) .

Calculations for E :

250 years * 0.80 c = 200 Ly .

200 / 10 = 20 Ly/day

The Speed of a 304
    :

As i searched the internet i found the Dwarf galaxy named Pegasus (also known as Andromeda VI) , this celestial body is a satelite of Andromeda ( the galaxy not the show ) and it's situated nearly 2.7 Mly (according to a nice obscure website) .

Let's calculate 2.7 Mly=2700 kly = 2700000 ly .

Now let's see , a ZPM 304 can get there in 4 days so :

2700000 ly / 4 days = 675 000 Ly/day ( now that's fast )

And without the ZedPM :

2700000 ly / 18 days = 150 000 ly /day ( fast then destiny ever was )

Note :
    The say that i hate Destiny , so a small calculation to see what it would take for destiny to match the speed of a 304 .

- we will give Nova the biggest speed 0.9999 c

- and the traveling time for the nova ship 1 500 150.02

and after we do the math we get the same speed as the 304 without a ZPM , but at this point there numbers are getting to intergalactic distances .

Now i hope my math is good .

P.S. : You could argue that Destiny uses another engine to travel the galactic void ( now way ) or that they didn't have energy to go faster then 10 days ( they where in a solar system , they could recharge ) .

Ok feel free to green me .
    Last edited by webxro; 30 April 2011, 10:44 AM. Reason: adding a few things, calculating for 250 years
    sigpic
    Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
    StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
    GW member infractions : 1

The Novan ships will take somewhere between 200 and 300 years to make it. Eli's pretty clear on that.

Comment

did the math using 250 years of travel
      sigpic
      Stargate Mods List

Comment

You seem to be assigning arbitrary numbers to vague descriptions in episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          You seem to be assigning arbitrary numbers to vague descriptions in episodes.
          YES.

There are a few arbitrary numbers , but even if i chose the best case scenario Destiny is way slower then 304 .

The idea is that they said that the Novas ships are not faster then light so they won't got at speeds bigger then 0.9999999 c ( maybe slower ) , so the big point behind this is that Destiny is very slow no matter what numbers do you chose .
          sigpic
          Stargate Mods List

Comment

It took Destiny 1 week to get from the first colony to Novus, it takes the Novus ships several hundred years to get from Novus to the second colony, i don't see any way to calculate how fast Destiny is going based on this information.

Comment

it takes destiny 10 days to get to the second colony
              sigpic
              Stargate Mods List

Comment

I'll point out that that Destiny seems to speed up on the intergalactic leg. From all we've seem, it seems FTL speed in directly affected by the flatness of the space time it's traveling through. Rougher (as near planets and stars) means increased degradation of drive capacity until it shuts down; smoother (as in the empty space between galaxies) the faster it goes.

Comment

Ok 1st. The Daedalus takes 18 days to travel between galaxies, while destiny takes 10. 2nd Destinies drives are millions of years old while the Daedalus class ships are what 5 years old at most? Any way math looks ok, but I will re watch the episode and refine it for you
                  sigpic

Comment

Where did you get the idea that Destiny can travel between galaxies in 10 days? It takes 10 days to travel between Novus and the second colony.

Comment

Originally posted by Solokiller View Post
                      Where did you get the idea that Destiny can travel between galaxies in 10 days? It takes 10 days to travel between Novus and the second colony.
                      This. Also, there is a difference between Hyperdrive and FTL I believe.
                      sigpic

Comment

I do not think Destiny flies in a straight line, unlike 304 which do not have to worry about silly things such as planets, stars, and black holes it can just fly straight through them.

The destiny has to plan it route around such objects as it does not fly in hyerspace. Which is a other possible reason for the use of the seed vessels. To map it route. An it also why the maths for calculating a route for destiny is to complicated to be done by either Rush or Eli, so only Destiny computers and chloe has shown that capability.

So why the destiny may be slower with in a galaxy it could be faster with in the void between galaxies for all we know as there no silly little things like planets, blackholes and stars to get in it way.

Comment

Well that’s the point. In the voids between galaxies destiny doesn’t need to pilot between stars planets and anything else you might find out there. This would mean that yes the intergalactic run could potentially be much faster than travelling through galaxies. Also I did read in another post a general consensus about the time it took to travel between galaxies, im not sure what post it was in so don’t hold me to that tho
                          sigpic

Comment

From what I can gather, the FTL drives on the Destiny speed up over time, so the speed of the Destiny is exponential.

Comment

Originally posted by pleed View Post
                              From what I can gather, the FTL drives on the Destiny speed up over time, so the speed of the Destiny is exponential.
                              That was my impression as well. It would explain how Destiny can traverse a galactic void so quickly.
                              sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Working...
                              X