Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts about planetary-wide evacuation of indigenous species / creatures from the p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts about planetary-wide evacuation of indigenous species / creatures from the p

It got me thinking about preservation and evacuation of the the other living organisms that are not human. Are they also part of the evacuation list or are they left to die along with the planet? Sanctuary ship and all.

In addition, are the zoology archives part of the ships library for all the ships or just the one carrying the animals, reptiles, insects, etc. if at all any?

It just causes me to think what a loss it would be if only humans gets brought on board the evacuation ships and no process exist for preserving zoology archives and other living creatures on the planet.

Surely quite a few Novus evacuee's would have had some pets to take with them (unless, if not allowed).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by qingdom; 29 April 2011, 04:46 AM. Reason: ... from the planet; preview before posting thread fail.

We can only speculate at this point. I'd like to think they bought along seeds and such like we did, perhaps they even took genetic samples of a few herd animals, but I doubt there's a Noah's Ark situation on those ships

Comment

I would hope that they took a good deal of the animals with them

Comment

I can imagine them preserving ( a significant amount of ) animal species, but no ship dedicated to carrying nimals or anything. It's a trip of hundreds of years, they need to keep generations of animals alive ( and make sure they don't die out ).

It will probably depend on how much enviromental awareness the Destiny crew passed on to Novus; clean industries? Green economie? etc.

Comment

i'd just collect some reproductional cells and once i get to my new planet, add some water, mix the right cells and you have a new thriving animal population

Comment

chances are, the colony planet will have a good number of its own animals.

adding in novus animals would, then, lead to potential imbalances in ecosystems - which could lead to the destruction of indigenous life.
            Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

This is something that is too often overlooked when it comes to assessing what is needed to create a civilization and that is food supply. No doubt they would be bringing something of the zoology of their world with them. It may of taken a long time to domesticate the plants and animals of Novus, so they would not want to start all over again.

The smartest thing to do would be to send livestock, plants, farmers and their families through the gate first so that there would be an agrarian infrastructure in place on Novus II long before the ships got there.
              sigpic

Comment

Think about feeding the population , no animals equals no meat for the next few hundred years , so i guess they have some farms on those huge ships .
                sigpic
                Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                GW member infractions : 1

Comment

im sure they brought some form of animals with them either in genetic material or the actual animal. It'll bee 100 years before they reach the new planet so thy have to have protein somehow
                  sigpicWELCOME TO END OF THE WORLD.....IM AM OZZYMANDIAS KING OF KINGS LOOK UPON MY WORKS YE MIGHTY AND DESPAIR

Comment

if they're in stasis pods, they won't need food.

the destiny crew have, as far as we're aware, gone quite some time without meat, and they're not suffering.

and if the new planet has animals of its own, they're not gonna struggle with finding meat there.

Comment

well these animals are used to a different enviroment than the one they would be taken to how will they ever survive?
                      sigpic

Comment

The same way other species that have seen transplant to new environments survive. In fact many have displaced the native species they have done so well, because they often find they have no natural predators.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                          The same way other species that have seen transplant to new environments survive. In fact many have displaced the native species they have done so well, because they often find they have no natural predators.
                          its a different planet, everything is different i cant imagine them surviving in it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Why not? From what we've seen all of these planets are incredibly similar. Far more alike than some of the new different environments species have managed to adapt to on Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
                              its a different planet, everything is different i cant imagine them surviving in it.
                              in that case, how can humans survive? it's fair to say it has to be a novus-type planet, in which case most things they could bring would be capable of surviving.

iirc, the potato first developed in south america. today, it's grown so easily in ireland that it's almost part of the cultural identity, and certainly i know a few people who think it actually originated here. south america and ireland are sufficiently different that i wouldn't like to try growing any other foods from there here though

Comment

Working...
                              X