PDA

View Full Version : Novus database

ballastix
April 28th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Not sure if this has been posted but, surely they could have just stopped the upload to Destiny, searched through the database for Tj's cure , make that a priority for an upload. Then just continue upload the rest of the database after the cures has been uploaded?

Dark lord me
April 28th, 2011, 06:26 AM
What I want to know is why did they have to be there for it to upload when everything started to happen they could of gone back to the ship and kept the uplink open...

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 28th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Dlm,

What I want to know is why did they have to be there for it to upload when everything started to happen they could of gone back to the ship and kept the uplink open...

That was my question too. They could have stayed in orbit until the uplink was lost. No reason to stand there watching the information transfer. They should have started the transfer and everyone should have been helping ferry supplies. If there was a problem and time they could correct it when someone onboard Destiny let them know the transfer had stopped.

Keeper
April 28th, 2011, 06:35 AM
by the time they realised they didn't have enough time to get everything, it was already too late. eli actually mentioned they'd have to stop the download, then the bunker started to fall apart. though that brings up an interesting question - how were the crew accessing diaries if the database was inaccessible because of the upload?

i don't know if they 'needed' to be there - but eli isn't the most active person, so he was better monitoring in case of problems. camile and chloe had a clear interest in the culture, and many of the boxes were likely very heavy - so it was better to leave the job to people better suited for heavy lifting. also, too many people working at the boxes wouldn't have helped anyway, so the spares brought down could hang around in the database room. and park was checking out all the features, so she could add to dramatic effect with her geographical survey panic :p

darkthunder84
April 28th, 2011, 07:22 AM
A bigger question would be:

Why didn't they upload the important stuff FIRST? Medical, Technical, Scientific knowledge. I'm sure there was plenty of random personal logs of the "other Destiny" crew, as well as their descendants logs in the 1/3rd of the database that they got.

Would've been smarter to prioritize USEFUL information (as Rush surely would've suggested had he been in the archive-room).

Keeper
April 28th, 2011, 07:30 AM
rush disregarded the entire database actually - he thought it more important to see what physically useful stuff existed, rather than what would advance earth if they ever got back. in his view, at the time - none of the information was strictly 'useful' because none of it would help the mission of getting to the source of the signal.

we don't actually know how they sorted the upload - since they were reading diaries while uploading, it's possible they didn't upload those at all - if they had, they could have done their reading later.

for the rest of the stuff... there's 2000 years of info there. you've suddenly a similar problem to atlantis when they were preparing for the siege at the end of S1 - how do you prioritise medical work, power supply developments, space programmes, whatever else they've got there? do you say that only work published in the last 200 years is useful? the amount that could easily be lost by prioritising one over everything else is immense - and, at the time, technical info was probably more interesting than medicine, considering they didn't know till near the end that medicine had come so far.

darkthunder84
April 28th, 2011, 07:53 AM
They uploaded over 900 "Exobytes" of data (that's 9 BILLION gigabytes) in just a few short hours. And even that, only resulted in ~ 1/3rd of the entire database.

tomstone
April 28th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Eli only said that in order to speed up the Transfer he needed to compress the files into one huge upload. It could be that there was not enough space for a compressed copy of the files and therefore the originals where deleted in the process.

Still, they could have easily made a Search all together to find the Data and save it on a module like they used to watch the kino footage and then reset the Upload, but that would have been way to easy and would have made the discovery pointless.

garhkal
April 28th, 2011, 06:41 PM
by the time they realised they didn't have enough time to get everything, it was already too late. eli actually mentioned they'd have to stop the download, then the bunker started to fall apart. though that brings up an interesting question - how were the crew accessing diaries if the database was inaccessible because of the upload?
:p

Maybe the Diaries were separate from the database..

Why didn't they upload the important stuff FIRST? Medical, Technical, Scientific knowledge. I'm sure there was plenty of random personal logs of the "other Destiny" crew, as well as their descendants logs in the 1/3rd of the database that they got.

Would've been smarter to prioritize USEFUL information (as Rush surely would've suggested had he been in the archive-room).

In their initial convo about it, they (brody and Eli) said something to the effect of it would take years to go through the database.. So how exactly would they search through it, upload what they want in the 36 hrs or so they had?

Vicious
April 29th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Sad truth is, everything can't work out in their favor. They'd have to call the show Atlantis.... lol!

Trinary
April 29th, 2011, 03:41 AM
rush disregarded the entire database actually - he thought it more important to see what physically useful stuff existed, rather than what would advance earth if they ever got back. in his view, at the time - none of the information was strictly 'useful' because none of it would help the mission of getting to the source of the signal.

Not entirely accurate. Without those database, Rush wouldn't know what the highly advanced substance to replace the lime in the CO2 scrubber. That lead Rush said, "They will be okay" referring the Novusians aboard the destiny after saw the lava flooded spaceship factory. Basically, Novus database has help saving Destiny crew and Novusians colony to improve the life support on the ship.

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
April 29th, 2011, 04:07 AM
It was better to get as much of the Database to Destiny as was possible that way they had the best chance to get what they need. There was no guarantee they would find it in a search.

erotavlas
April 29th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Yes a search would have taken too long to complete and by the time TJ found out about her condition the situation on the planet was already reaching critical.

garhkal
April 29th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Too true..

Though i wonder..
Could they have brought Destiny itself in to land, so supplies would have been easier to get aboard?

blueray
April 30th, 2011, 06:53 PM

i thought that they were reading the diaries from their computer, which is where they were uploading from. which brings the question why they couldn't just search of the cure to tj's disease?

Keeper
April 30th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Maybe the Diaries were separate from the database..
i thought that they were reading the diaries from their computer, which is where they were uploading from. which brings the question why they couldn't just search of the cure to tj's disease?pretty much my point - people are complaining about the diaries being uploaded, however: if the database had to be stopped to search for TJ's cure, then the diaries couldn't have been part of the upload. if they were part of the upload, then there should have been no issue with finding the cure - they'd half a dozen people there checking diaries, and yaozuu seemed to recognise the disease pretty easily.

or else, the writers didn't pay much attention to what was going on in the very scene.

Pharaoh Atem
April 30th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Too true..

Though i wonder..
Could they have brought Destiny itself in to land, so supplies would have been easier to get aboard?

there's no evidence that destiny can land and if there's a easy access to inside the ship from the outside

Keeper
April 30th, 2011, 07:38 PM
there's no evidence that destiny can land and if there's a easy access to inside the ship from the outside

even assuming it could, the local area seemed to be wooded. chances are, the nearest landing site would still have been at shuttling distances.

garhkal
April 30th, 2011, 09:05 PM
That it may have, but shuttling things from place X to Y on a planet, is still quicker than shuttling them from planet to orbit.

ngewakl
May 1st, 2011, 05:44 AM
Why didn't they just take the Hard Drives or whatever storage units had. Why download when the dvd is available. Just my two cents!

Keeper
May 1st, 2011, 05:46 AM
Why didn't they just take the Hard Drives or whatever storage units had. Why download when the dvd is available. Just my two cents!

they considered that on-screen - but they'd have to demolish the bunker. the hard drives are built into the wall.

with the bunker already unstable, it's debatable whether they'd have escaped at all - and the terminals seemed fairly close together. without knowing the details of construction, they'd risk destroying the database with explosives.

garhkal
May 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM
Yup. That Novan elder who went with us mentioned the databanks were built into the walls..

beafly
May 27th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Assumptions:

Limited local storage in the archive prevented them from storing a complete copy of the compressed data.

The compression (highly parallel, limited by processing units) and wireless transmission technologies (parallel limited by frequency, serial otherwise) used are much faster, but relative to today's technologies, ie They could compress data far faster than they could transmit it.

-----------
My hypothesis is that they needed to start transmission of the data as quickly as possible. Hence the streaming solution. They could begin compression and immediately start streaming the output directly to the Destiny.

By the time they realized that they needed to search the data for the cure, the compression algorithm had already completed, but the they were still streaming data.

Therefore, they were stuck with a very large chunk of compressed data that would need to be un-compressed prior to searching. And because they don't have enough storage to keep both compressed and un-compressed data, un-compressing the data would necessitate stopping the transfer.

----------
Aside, I agree. Watching blue bars is a waste of time, they would have transfered remote management capability to the Destiny and managed the process from there in safety and relative comfort, or pitched in moving supplies.

Rush had the correct idea, though I'm unclear why he didn't just query the database for supplies listing, go directly to the location of the crates and tag them as priority 1.

garhkal
May 27th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Didn't he go up to that store room AFTER using the terminal?? Can't remember.

Pharaoh Atem
May 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Yup. That Novan elder who went with us mentioned the databanks were built into the walls..

no brody did

Snicker433
April 26th, 2012, 04:13 AM
I loved this episode... I was also wondering why they had to be there while the upload was in progress, they could of sat in orbit until the transfer was terminated by the Novus computer being destroyed. I still say they should of ripped apart the computer and taken the HDD's with them... Nothing is Hardwired!!!

And it was Park who said they were built-in.

garhkal
April 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Maybe them trying to break the walls up to get them would have caused the place to colapse sooner.

Snicker433
April 26th, 2012, 06:48 PM
If its a question of stability then your right, the bunker would have most likely collapsed. But i still don't understand why they had to be there for the up-link.

garhkal
April 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM
They didn't. It was that they felt, since supplies were being grabbed, and that would take time, they might as well stay and 'investigate'..

KEK
April 28th, 2012, 04:20 AM
If its a question of stability then your right, the bunker would have most likely collapsed. But i still don't understand why they had to be there for the up-link.

It's just a plot device really. But for all intents and purposes it's an alien system, so who knows how it might work.