PDA

View Full Version : There But For the Grace of God (119)

Pages : 1 [2]

Lunaeclipse
January 12th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Ah yes, the first of many alternate timelines. Isn't it interesting that in nearly every single one, Sam and Jack are married/engaged/together? Just a thought...;)

...and Daniel went missing in Egypt...

GusF
April 3rd, 2013, 07:22 AM
This is my favourite episode of Season One. I'm very partial to stories about parallel universes / alternate realities - I'm a huge fan of the Star Trek mirror universe - and alternate history is one of my favourite genres so this was right up my alley. Aside from that, however, it also tells an excellent story which lays the groundwork for the series' first season finale. Like many of the best parallel universe / alternate history stories, it paints the picture of an Earth in turmoil and makes the audience realise just how much is at stake by showing us the worst of all worlds and the consequences of inaction.

For me, one of the most engaging and engrossing aspects of alternate reality stories in and out of Stargate is the fact that things are very often the same but different. Here, for instance, we have General Jack O'Neill in command of the SGA instead of Colonel Jack O'Neill in command of SG-1. His job isn't what is the most different about him, however. In most respects, his personality is much more similar to that of the film incarnation of Jack, which makes perfect sense as it was the events of the film which helped the normal version of Jack get his life back together and come to terms with Charlie's death. In no small part, that was due to Daniel's good influence on him. Without Daniel being there for him at a crucial juncture in his life, Jack is, quite frankly, a cold and nasty bastard who is much less likable (for most of the episode, anyway) and much more militaristic than the normal TV version of Jack whom he all know and love. Needless to say, he didn't commit suicide as he was planning to in the film so he must have found some way to deal with Charlie's death but I wouldn't be surprised if this version of Jack detonated the bomb on the surface of Abydos rather than beaming it aboard Ra's ship. He seems rather trigger happy as regards nuclear weapons. I don't think that our Jack would contemplate using them against an inhabited planet. Towards the end of the episode, however, the character shows some of our Jack's warmth and humour and I think that that may be due to Daniel's presence. He really brings out the best in Jack. Plus he can't be all bad if Sam is in love with him.

All of the other characters are more similar to their counterparts from the prime reality. With the exception of her hair and career path, the alternate Sam is practically identical to our Sam: a warm, extremely intelligent and capable woman who is always able to keep a completely level head in a crisis. Given her lack of military training, she is presumably somewhat less capable in terms of physical combat but that's the only real difference that I can think of between the Sams and it doesn't even really come up. Colonel Hammond is much the same as General Hammond, if slightly more severe though nowhere near as much as General O'Neill. His speech to his troops in the Gate Room commending them on their bravery and telling them that it was an honour serving with them is textbook Hammond. Of course, we don't see the alternate Daniel in this episode but he seems to have been much the same as our Daniel was prior to joining the Stargate program, if a bit less sensible for not accepting Catherine's offer.

When it comes to Teal'c, the biggest difference is really his ponytail. He is essentially the same man as our Teal'c was prior to the events of "Children of the Gods": a good man who is forced to play the role that his completely amoral society would have him play. I would attribute Jack's failure to convince him to turn against Apophis in this reality not to the differences in Teal'c's personality but the differences in Jack's. He may well have been more successful if he hadn't sent the bomb to Chulak, killing Drey'auc, Rya'c and (probably) Bra'tac in the process. I admit that I missed some of the subtlety in previous viewings but the look which this Teal'c gives Daniel in their only scene together speaks volumes about his character in my book and yet only communicates one single solitary word to Daniel: "run." He allows Daniel to escape through the Stargate because it's the right thing to do and, in my mind, deliberately avoided killing him by only shooting him in the arm so that he would have a chance to live on. It's a shame that he himself died only moments later, never knowing the life that he could have had as a member of SG-1.

One of this episode's greatest assets is the wonderful character of Catherine Langford as played (brilliantly) by Elizabeth Hoffman. While I was always a fan of Catherine, watching this episode and "The Torment of Tantalus" has made me appreciate just how great a character she was. It's such a shame that this is her final appearance on the series, notwithstanding the middle-aged version's brief cameo in "1969". I wish that she had appeared in at least two or three episodes per season, frankly.

Another thing that occurred to me about this reality is that its differences from the normal one mean that it's fairly unlikely that any of the events portrayed in the series to date happened here. Needless to say, the events of the Daniel- and Teal'c-centric episodes definitely didn't take place but I can't think of events from any other episodes which definitely did take place (especially since SG-1 is seemingly composed of entirely different people) except for the discovery of the Abydos cartouche and even that must have surely occurred under very different circumstances than those portrayed in "Children of the Gods".

One of the best episodes in the series' history.

10/10

Falcon Horus
May 22nd, 2013, 03:56 PM
Daniel really needs to learn not to touch random objects... :p ...it gets him into a heap a trouble more than he can count.

Anyhow, besides that I've always really enjoyed this episode and still do. Not much to say about it really, other than that seeing different realities is always fun. What's different? Who's different? What happened and what didn't? And poor Daniel stuck in the middle...

damnflamingos
June 6th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Anyhow, besides that I've always really enjoyed this episode and still do. Not much to say about it really, other than that seeing different realities is always fun. What's different? Who's different? What happened and what didn't? And poor Daniel stuck in the middle...

I agree, I wish there were more episodes dealing with this. I understand that they limited it, I mean it would be kind of boring repeating yourself all the time, but it's just so much fun!

garhkal
June 10th, 2013, 02:52 PM
After the events in S3 (iirc that was the other time we saw the mirror) did they ever destroy it, or just box it up?

Falcon Horus
June 10th, 2013, 03:08 PM
I think they probably "forgot" to destroy it... again. :p

jelgate
June 10th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Ripple Effect in S9 seems to apply they destroyed it

Falcon Horus
June 10th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I haven't gotten that far yet... so I can't really remember.

Vagabond Serpent
July 11th, 2013, 04:56 AM
I've just rewatched it again, and I've noticed some bad editing today. Just after the 38 minutes pass and they start dialing the gate again for the Beta site, they encoded 2nd chevron and it is... *drum roll* Terran point of origin FP

GusF
July 11th, 2013, 05:04 AM
I've just rewatched it again, and I've noticed some bad editing today. Just after the 38 minutes pass and they start dialing the gate again for the Beta site, they encoded 2nd chevron and it is... *drum roll* Terran point of origin FP

There was often poor editing as regards the dialing computer in the first two seasons and into the third. They always seemed to use the Chulak and Abydos addresses to represent practically every planet.

Vagabond Serpent
July 11th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Yet they would still alter a symbol or two, making it sort of same sector of the Galaxy, different star system. :) But they've never before let the point of origin slip into the address proper. That's the amount of little detail you start to notice without distraction from lame translation and peg-on-my-nose-sitting-in-metal-barrel interpreter speaking on official DVDs... :P

roque872002
July 13th, 2013, 12:20 AM
I love everything AR/AU/AT. This episode was brilliant. I honestly don't know how many times I've watched it but it never gets old or boring

discodiva
July 13th, 2013, 03:34 AM
I love everything AR/AU/AT. This episode was brilliant. I honestly don't know how many times I've watched it but it never gets old or boring

I love it too...and I have the BDU jacket with the staff blast hole in it that Daniel was wearing after he got shot by AU Teal'c and went back through the wormhole...it's my only piece of costume and last year I got it signed by Michael Shanks too..:daniel:

Great episode...absolutely love it....

Deeds xx

garhkal
July 16th, 2013, 02:42 PM
I love it too...and I have the BDU jacket with the staff blast hole in it that Daniel was wearing after he got shot by AU Teal'c and went back through the wormhole...it's my only piece of costume and last year I got it signed by Michael Shanks too..:daniel:

Lucky bugger!

sgelite
August 18th, 2013, 06:04 PM
This episode always makes me chuckle. It starts with sg1 stepping through the gate to a planet, Carter asks Daniel if he recognizes any of the symbols and then the greatest example of stating the obvious occurs... Daniel replies " nope, it's definitely alien"!!!!! HAHA. You don't say Danny boy what gave it away??
I love stargate !

sgelite
August 18th, 2013, 06:14 PM
HAHA or the bit where alternate Carter shows Jackson a map of the earth saying " every one of the red dot is a destroyed city.
Cast your eyes to the UK on the map and every bit is red, except Scotland. Not one single red dot north of the border!!!
Even the goa'uld knew better than to mess with the Scottish!!!

Falcon Horus
August 19th, 2013, 02:58 AM
HAHA or the bit where alternate Carter shows Jackson a map of the earth saying " every one of the red dot is a destroyed city.
Cast your eyes to the UK on the map and every bit is red, except Scotland. Not one single red dot north of the border!!!
Even the goa'uld knew better than to mess with the Scottish!!!

Or Scotland just doesn't have an important city to destroy and are considered harmless... they'll be dealt with on the ground and made into slaves. ;)

garhkal
August 20th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Or Scotland just doesn't have an important city to destroy and are considered harmless... they'll be dealt with on the ground and made into slaves. ;)

Na.. the gou'ald want them for their BEER!

Falcon Horus
August 20th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Na.. the gou'ald want them for their BEER!

They would have found that in Belgium... however, they probably destroyed Brussels from space, and the whole country was hit at once. :p

Gone beer! Gone chocolate!

Seaboe Muffinchucker
August 21st, 2013, 09:30 AM
Well, Switzerland is still there for chocolate (unless they hit it for the banking). We have some pretty **mn good chocolatiers here in Washington, if that happens. They won't hit Washington when California is so much more attractive. ;)

Seaboe

Falcon Horus
August 21st, 2013, 09:37 AM
LOL!! :p

garhkal
August 21st, 2013, 03:26 PM
Wonder if they left the Caribbean as is, for vacationing at!

Falcon Horus
August 21st, 2013, 03:30 PM
They better... even Goa'uld need some R'n'R every once in a while. :p

McAvoy
August 22nd, 2013, 04:27 AM
Well Aphosis would like use Earth as a base.

Though I wonder if the Goa'uld care about the fact Earth is the 'first world'.

Falcon Horus
August 22nd, 2013, 04:35 AM
I think it would look good on the resume though. Imagine being the Goa'uld who reconquered the first world... I bet that would raise the rep-points seriously. :D

McAvoy
August 24th, 2013, 02:03 AM
I think it would look good on the resume though. Imagine being the Goa'uld who reconquered the first world... I bet that would raise the rep-points seriously. :D

It would look great on Aphosis on conquering one of the most heavily populated if not the most populated planet in the galaxy. Even when he destroys the cities and major centers, there will still be a huge population.

Though, the planet is apparently barren of useful material in Goa'uld technology.

Lunaeclipse
August 30th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Well Aphosis would like use Earth as a base.

Maybe he could work out of Area 51

Falcon Horus
August 30th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Maybe he could work out of Area 51

His new cabin out in the desert. :p Away from it all...

Sparky She-Demon
September 6th, 2013, 08:48 AM
This episode is one of the biggest hints from the Universe to Sam and Jack!

garhkal
September 6th, 2013, 11:38 AM
What hint is that?

Falcon Horus
September 6th, 2013, 03:03 PM
What hint is that?

That the Goa'uld mean business...
That there's a universe where they don't have to deal with Daniel's "Let's talk with them"...
That Apophis has no sense of fashion and Teal'c has a ponytail...

...a few possible hints...

:cool:

Sparky She-Demon
September 6th, 2013, 03:13 PM
What hint is that?

That hint is that Sam and Jack find a way to be together, no matter the reality!

Falcon Horus
September 6th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Except that in the reality that matters, ours/theirs they are both in the military and they are bound by fraternization rules (at least as far as season 7/8).

Sparky She-Demon
September 6th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Except that in the reality that matters, ours/theirs they are both in the military and they are bound by fraternization rules (at least as far as season 7/8).

They always find a way, no matter how long it takes.

Falcon Horus
September 6th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Yes, it's called fanfic. ;)

Sparky She-Demon
September 6th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Yes, it's called fanfic. ;)

And in some of that fanfic, it has them blowing the regs straight to Hades! And this is before seasons 7&8.

Falcon Horus
September 6th, 2013, 04:21 PM
In fanfic they can do whatever they like, ... wherever they like, ...however they like... and with whomever they like (or more accurately whomever the authors like them doing it with)...

...and then the conversation went straight into NC-17 territory. :p ...I try not to though.

Sparky She-Demon
September 6th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Well... ;)

hedwig
September 17th, 2013, 12:22 PM
That hint is that Sam and Jack find a way to be together, no matter the reality!

Whether it makes much difference, I don't know. However, in the AU's, Sam is always a civilian.

Sparky She-Demon
September 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Whether it makes much difference, I don't know. However, in the AU's, Sam is always a civilian.

That is a common link. Who's to say that in some of the realities, Jack is the civilian?

garhkal
September 18th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Well, with sam also being an astrophysicist it is not that much of a stretch to see her going civ contractor with the govt. What area would Jack be a contractor in?

Sparky She-Demon
September 18th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Well, with sam also being an astrophysicist it is not that much of a stretch to see her going civ contractor with the govt. What area would Jack be a contractor in?

Jack is a lot smarter than he gives himself credit for being. Maybe some kind of engineering/

Lunaeclipse
September 19th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Jack is a lot smarter than he gives himself credit for being. Maybe some kind of engineering/

...Sometimes I think he pretends to be less smart than he is so they underestimate him...

Sparky She-Demon
September 20th, 2013, 06:27 AM
...Sometimes I think he pretends to be less smart than he is so they underestimate him...

True. That's probably why he does it!

garhkal
September 20th, 2013, 11:23 AM
I would have loved it had they had an episode where it fell on jack to be the smarty pants to save the day, cause carter and daniel were out of it...

fems
September 20th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I would have loved it had they had an episode where it fell on jack to be the smarty pants to save the day, cause carter and daniel were out of it...

Well, he did give Sam the idea to use the lightning to power the gate in Torment of Tantalus...

Lunaeclipse
September 20th, 2013, 12:39 PM

To be the smart one or to use his quirky insults? cause he has some good quirky insults. :)

discodiva
September 20th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I just watched this episode...I love it for many reasons, but mainly because I am now the proud owner of Daniel's bdu jacket complete with staff blast hole and signed by Michael Shanks...:D :D

Deeds xx

hedwig
September 20th, 2013, 01:43 PM
True. That's probably why he does it!

Not that it has anything to do with anything, but he does have a laptop computer on his telescope deck (seen in "Children of the Gods" when Samuels showed up at his house). That was in the earlier days of laptop computers. And using an astronomy program isn't exactly easy, and I'm sure he used his computer for all sorts of other stuff. :)

Falcon Horus
September 20th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Oh, and he mentioned that whole corona thing in 1969... he didn't initially bought the telescope to look at the neighbors, remember. :p

Sparky She-Demon
September 21st, 2013, 06:57 AM
Oh, and he mentioned that whole corona thing in 1969... he didn't initially bought the telescope to look at the neighbors, remember. :p

But it's a perk! ;)

hedwig
September 22nd, 2013, 12:32 PM

:indeed:

jckfan55
September 22nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
Jack knows what an acretion (sp?) disk is.

SGFAN1976
December 9th, 2013, 06:13 PM
JEALOUS :mckay:

AsgardGirl
September 15th, 2014, 08:05 AM
My favorite Alternative Universe episode. However some things are too convenient, as the timing of the event, Daniel bringing camera to the planet...

jelgate
September 15th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Have you watched television? Everything is convenient

AsgardGirl
September 16th, 2014, 01:53 AM

truth

Lunaeclipse
September 18th, 2014, 09:01 PM

Yep it's hard to make coincidence seem like a coincidence on tv..

ngewakl
January 24th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Good episode. One of my faves from season 1. The mirror should have been the first thing that Daniel thought about when everything went wrong. He should have been like, "Only crazy thing that happened today was the shock I got from the mirror. Aha!" Kind of took him way to long to figure it out. But that's just a minor gripe. Good episode though. 3 out of 5 stars.

maneth
August 24th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Yeah. I liked the episode, but it took far too long for them to understand what was going on...

garhkal
August 25th, 2015, 12:49 AM
Good episode. One of my faves from season 1. The mirror should have been the first thing that Daniel thought about when everything went wrong. He should have been like, "Only crazy thing that happened today was the shock I got from the mirror. Aha!" Kind of took him way to long to figure it out. But that's just a minor gripe. Good episode though. 3 out of 5 stars.

But had he returned right away, do you think we would have gotten the same sort of warning, and great ep as we did?

Anja
September 5th, 2015, 07:31 AM
I think the writers did their best to make their coincidences look like coincidences, don't you agree? :rolleyes:

Anja

Lunaeclipse
September 5th, 2015, 04:18 PM
I think the writers did their best to make their coincidences look like coincidences, don't you agree? :rolleyes:

Anja

as much as they could, I guess... I've been writing and have been trying to work out how to make a coincidence seem like a coincidence, but it can be harder than it sounds to put in things that need to be there without people picking them up...sometimes you need people to notice them too though...in my opinion.

Denisa
February 25th, 2017, 09:50 AM
This is one of my most favorite episodes. I always loved "What if" stories and this ep is like straight from a good fanfic author. It shows that writers really put a thought into it.

It`s interesting to see all the changes in AU. I wonder what made Daniel rudely decline Catherine`s offer, but he was probably thinking she was mocking him. Also seeing the whole impact his not joining SGC had. He would never wander off on Abidos and they probably wouldn`t meet Abidonians, or if they had, wouldn`t spend the time with them. They wouldn`t go to rescue Sha're and meet Teal'c, so SGC would have looked totally different.

It`s funny, but until this episode the idea of Jack and Sam didn`t even cross my mind. Admittedly I skipped first ten episodes so didn`t see that they were toying with it at the beginning, but later in the season I liked their strong and professional relationship. This episode gave me a pause and I realized they work great together on personal level too. And the face when Daniel found out was priceless. He looked like he snuck up on his parents.

Another interesting thing was to see how Daniel softens the team, especially Jack. In our reality Sam can`t do that because she is his subordinate, in their reality their relationship was quite new besides I think she had to work hard to keep respect of others, So Daniel really was perfect to opose Jack and keep him morally on higher ground. So maybe if he got there sooner, he would be able to convince him not to send a bomb on Chulack, Teal'c would convert and planet would be saved, even with casualties.

I think it was pretty amazing they were able to put all of this and more into 45 minutes. Thus for me one of the best written episode.

Originally Posted by AsgardGirl
My favorite Alternative Universe episode. However some things are too convenient, as the timing of the event, Daniel bringing camera to the planet...
Daniel had his camera several times. For example in Torment of Tantalus. Scientists like to document their findings.

garhkal
February 25th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Plus iirc wasn't he taking PICS f stuff just before he found that mirror?

Seaboe Muffinchucker
February 27th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Admittedly I skipped first ten episodes so didn`t see that they were toying with it at the beginning

I never had the impression that they were toying with the idea in the beginning of the first season. However, I really quoted this because you made me very curious with your "I skipped the first 10 episodes". What made you do that?

Seaboe

Falcon Horus
February 27th, 2017, 08:06 AM
I never had the impression that they were toying with the idea in the beginning of the first season.

If they had, I would never have watched SG1.
Never would have watched SGA either.

Oh, that's a sad notion to realize. :eek:

Seaboe Muffinchucker
February 27th, 2017, 08:11 AM
What relationship in SGA, Falcon Horus? I haven't seen all of that, so have remained a little behind on the shipping (other than references to John/Rodney).

I can't think of a single show I've ever watched for the ship. ETA: oh, wait. Lois & Clark. But then, there the ship was the show.

Seaboe

Falcon Horus
February 27th, 2017, 08:21 AM
What relationship in SGA, Falcon Horus? I haven't seen all of that, so have remained a little behind on the shipping (other than references to John/Rodney).

I mean, Sam/Jack in SG1 -- if that was meant to be from the beginning, I certainly didn't pick up on it, and if it had been so I wouldn't have watched the show to the end (barely struggled through season 4 as it is).

I don't know about SGA though -- McShep is in the eye of the beholder, but damn... the beholder's eyesight has to be really bad not to see something there. Bromance before the word became popular. :p

I don't watch for ship either -- they just sorta jump out, like all of a sudden there's a click in my brain... Hence why most of the ships I ship (and I multiship like hell) are not canon.

Denisa
March 3rd, 2017, 04:49 AM
I never had the impression that they were toying with the idea in the beginning of the first season. However, I really quoted this because you made me very curious with your "I skipped the first 10 episodes". What made you do that?

Seaboe

By toying with it I meant that the characters were flirting sometimes and that there were a couple scenes where there was shown an atraction, which after a couple episodes quickly stopped. I didn`t mean the show was going pursue any relationship.

As for the answer to your question. I was aware the show existed for years, but never really got into it (never really watched a full episode). I tried several times when it was on TV, but it didn`t catch my attention. But last year when it started on TV again from the beginning I decided to give it a try, particularly because it was on at the time I usually have TV turned on. I watched episodes on and off or as a filler until I started realize that the show has actually really good stories and then came episodes that really caught my attention. I had no idea, that by the end of season I`ll become a big fan and the show end up right among my top favorite.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
March 7th, 2017, 12:40 PM
I can understand that.

I didn't watch the show until it was on DVD, and I started by watching episodes my BFF, my brother, and his family recommended. When I started buying the set, I watched them all (almost).

However, I would never have watched the show at all if I had to put up with cliff-hangers and commercial breaks in real time.

Seaboe

Denisa
March 12th, 2017, 11:21 AM
I know what you mean by cliff-hangers. What I`ve seen from show so far (season 1-5) every one of them ended with one. Adding to it the fact that back then we from outside USA had to wait sometimes even two years for new season, I `would have probably given up on show myself.
But otherwise I don`t mind watching on TV, commercials and all. I kinda like looking forward to a new episode in my case every work day.

It`s for me interesting that you watched first selected episodes, because in my opinion SG-1 works best watched in order, at least for me. When I was rewatching several selected episodes, most of the time I had a feeling they were pulled out of context. I was even surprised a bit how well SG-1 works as a whole and how the episodes connects to each othe through feel and slight development of characters and story.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
March 14th, 2017, 07:47 AM
I watched the selected episodes in season order, though, which may make a difference.

Yeah, the continuity and reference back to earlier episodes is one of the things I like about Stargate.

For me, the trouble with watching TV in real time is that the commercial interruptions make me very aware of the dramatic structure of the shows (act 1-3: set up, act 4: climax, act 5: resolution), and I lose my suspension of disbelief.

Seaboe

P-90_177
September 18th, 2017, 07:56 PM
It's interesting to note that when Daniel is looking at the map of all the bombed cities, all the countries who used to worship the old Norse gods were left untouched.

garhkal
September 18th, 2017, 11:40 PM
Maybe those cities were not 'Strategically important'??

Athenebelle
October 13th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Maybe those cities were not 'Strategically important'??

Considering their "agreement" with the Asgard, I'm guessing those "small" areas as ceded to them and are avoiding them. I'm betting once the rest of the planet it conquered, they probably would try to take those on (maybe with limited success? How many "Thor's Hammers" are out there?)

Falcon Horus
November 26th, 2017, 11:49 AM
The episode with the longest title in season 1 and quite possibly the most action too.

Our first run in with the quantum mirror and trip to an alternate universe. A place that looks the same, feels the same but has subtle differences, and of course is being shot to kingdom come by the Goa'uld. How unfortunate for them, though lucky for us when Daniel figures out what the message says. His sarcasm is sublime. :p

I really enjoy this episode a lot. Then again, I am a bit of a what-if fan so this is like ticking all the right boxes for me.

It's a tragic end for the alternate reality but their legacy will save ours... well, hopefully save ours. At least that's what Daniel is hoping for at least.

Teal'c's ponytail though. An Egyptian touch of fashion, not seen since the original film. Really enjoyed that little throwback.

How would you rate SG-1's "There But For the Grace of God?"

Excellent
Good
Fair
Poor
Terrible

Falcon Horus
November 26th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Bringing forth the 3-episode quiz:

Solitudes -- Tin Man -- There But For The Grace Of God (https://goo.gl/forms/sP790yVjgeiVXMcN2)

Jigsaw --> There But For The Grace Of God (https://www.jigidi.com/solve.php?id=Z3WAA2UA)

jelgate
November 28th, 2017, 11:41 AM
I'm not the biggest fan on S1. Its all over the place with some good episodes but also a lot of bad episodes That side I love what I call the season finale arc which starts with this episode. More than anything I like seeing the Doomsday scenario. With Stargate set in the present its hard to project what a Goa'uld invasion. Although I really want to know how Hammond and Jack switched ranks. I also wanted to Teal'c with that ponytail because it looked ridiculous. Really what makes this episode great is the what if scenario of the Goa'uld invaded. I am at a lost how slow the Jaffa are at dialing a gate. A DHD is supposed to be so much faster than our computer.:P This is a good for me

12/15 on the quiz. I really struggled with the Solitude questions and 18;36 on the puzzle

Falcon Horus
January 12th, 2018, 06:00 PM
24 minutes and 19 seconds
Not bad for 3am in the morning.

BethHG
June 14th, 2018, 08:13 PM
14/15---I guess that I was good at guessing. :)

36:55. Lots of dark pieces!

Daniel really needs to learn not to touch things! ;)

I really liked this episode. MS did a fabulous job on this one. It was interesting to see how things were different, I especially liked Catherine working there.

I also like that Jack was a jerk because Daniel wasn't around to influence him, which means that Jack wasn't there for Teal'c.

I am not sure that I liked the whole Sam/Jack engagement in this one-- he still looked he had some healing to do. Maybe Sam was helping him through it? I don't know, it didn't mesh with my little brain for some reason.

Overall, an excellent episode!

Platschu
August 21st, 2018, 01:31 PM
Errors :

1. They mention that only 50% have gone through of the Genesis list, but we can't see anywhere the rest of the chosen people.

2. Stargate is showed from a weird angle:
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x19/12.jpg
They must have decreased the size of it. It is also lightened without any reason, while everything else is in dark

3. The blue light is left on, while they try to dial:
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x19/05.jpg

4. The usual kawoosh scene. Door is opened, while Teal'c has just shot through it.
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x19/08.jpg
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x19/09.jpg
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x19/10.jpg

5. Also a regular returning mistake. They dial an address, but the 7th symbol,the Tauri is shown between chevron 2 and 3 again.
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/1x19/11.jpg

Falcon Horus
August 21st, 2018, 03:37 PM
Some of them you really gotta wonder whether the editors were fast asleep while they were cutting up the tapes. :p

Platschu
August 21st, 2018, 04:01 PM
I like that scene when the camera zooms on Jack at his execution then the distance of the background is changing even further away. I don't know how this optical illusion called, but very nice and I love it in every movie.

I doubt I can say anything new about a 21 years old episode, but I hope you noticed that the logo of SGC is SGA on the wall in the the alternate timeline.

Falcon Horus
August 22nd, 2018, 06:41 AM
I like that scene when the camera zooms on Jack at his execution then the distance of the background is changing even further away. I don't know how this optical illusion called, but very nice and I love it in every movie.

If I remember correctly from my short film class experience, it's a practical effect by moving the camera while using zoom. It's something technical but the illusion it creates is really cool when done well.

Platschu
August 22nd, 2018, 01:50 PM
Thank you. :)

One more thing. Even if we accept the concept of alternate universes, most of the events should have happened at the same time. So if Apophis attacks Earth in the AU, then it should have happened in our dimension as well at the same time.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
August 27th, 2018, 10:28 AM
If I remember correctly from my short film class experience, it's a practical effect by moving the camera while using zoom. It's something technical but the illusion it creates is really cool when done well.

They use it again in the last episode of Season 2, IIRC. It's mentioned in the commentary.

Seaboe

Falcon Horus
August 28th, 2018, 02:03 AM
They use it again in the last episode of Season 2, IIRC. It's mentioned in the commentary.

Did you just watch the commentary or did you remember it? If it's the latter, can I have your memory-skills? :)

Seaboe Muffinchucker
August 28th, 2018, 07:31 AM
I remembered it. I have a very trivial memory, and no, I won't give it to you. ;)

I listened with particular attention to all the commentaries where they discussed effects. I skipped most of PdL's (especially when he was paired with Gary Jones; running fart jokes are not my thing).

Seaboe

Falcon Horus
August 28th, 2018, 08:57 AM
I remembered it. I have a very trivial memory, and no, I won't give it to you. ;)

No, you can keep it. Mine is a box full of useless information that when I mention any of it, makes my colleagues give me funny looks. :p

I skipped most of PdL's (especially when he was paired with Gary Jones; running fart jokes are not my thing).

Unfortunately, almost all of SGA's commentaries are done with Gary Jones... and they rarely if ever talk about the episodes. If they couldn't find anyone to do those commentaries, they should just have left well enough alone.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
August 30th, 2018, 07:42 AM
No, you can keep it. Mine is a box full of useless information that when I mention any of it, makes my colleagues give me funny looks.
I am lucky enough to work in a field where, and with people who think, my trivia is interesting and useful. Of course, I'm selective about what I share (making sure it's mostly work related).

Seaboe

Who Knows
September 7th, 2018, 02:34 AM

Falcon Horus
September 8th, 2018, 03:19 AM
Ah the good old days of crazy jigsaws. :p

EvaWallE7744
December 7th, 2020, 01:08 PM
I think one of the best parts of There But For the Grace of God is that is shows Daniel coming home and fearing for and wanting to protect his friends, family and the people of Earth. For so long Abydos had been his home and the place he wanted to get back to, the life he had set up with his wife but this episode shows almost a revitalization of his wanting to protect Earth. From this point on Abydos seems to become a "home away from home" and he definitely still loves the people and culture and he goes out of his way to protect Abydos but this episode finally shows that he has returned home. Alternate Universe episodes for me are tricky-sometimes I like/enjoy them and sometimes i don't. One part i don't particularly like about There But For the Grace of God is the Jack/Sam romance-to me it feels too early after the death of Charlie and the breakdown of Jack's marriage to Sara. I am not against the idea of a Jack/Sam relationship but it created an annoyance with the fans when the two never became a couple but to become a couple one of them would have had to give up their life in the Air Force which for the majority of SG-1 was one of the only ways a person could go through the Stargate. One part i do like about the show is that our characters in the alternate universe did not survive because many sci-fi shows like to give civilizations/stories/characters happy endings rather than ones that made you think for example: if alternate Jack listened to Daniel and didn't nuke alternate Chulak would alternate Teal'c turn against his oppressors?