PDA

View Full Version : SGU TV Movie Followup If Final Episode Ratings Are High?

Whitestar
April 27th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I have enjoyed the Stargate franchise starting with the 1994 film and all the way till SGU. Each incarnation had something new and exciting to add to the Stargate lore. Some episodes in each series were great, good, and some of them were not so good. But all in all, it's been one hell of a ride and now I must admit that I am kind of disappointed with the ending of SGU and the Stargate franchise as a whole, but maybe it's for the best. Star Trek went down that path and now it's better than ever because of new blood and fresh ideas. Despite the recent article about there being no more Stargate for the near future, I have no doubt that it will also be revived with new blood and fresh ideas too. I just wish that the final episode of SGU will have a proper sendoff and considering how the previous two Stargate shows ended with lackluster results, I'm starting to get worried about how SGU will end, and with a major cliffhanger as well.

But if the ratings are high for the final episode, will that spark MGM to consider doing at least a tv movie followup to tie up the loose ends?

DigiFluid
April 27th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Not happening. (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?80683-Brad-Wright-Convention-Q-amp-A-(SGU-Movie-Is-A-No-Go)) When the finale airs, that's the end.

Matlohyn
April 28th, 2011, 03:25 AM
The Stargate Franchise is over, it's unfortunately time to accept it : (

Tanith0709
April 28th, 2011, 04:30 AM
The Stargate Franchise is over

As we know it. Always the chance of it being rebooted somewhere down the road. I like to think of this as being the end of an era.

But yea even if the finale got 4 million viewers it would still be too late to do anything.

Lt.Damnit
April 28th, 2011, 04:58 AM
You are all giving up/ in way too easily. What makes a show successful? FANS. None of these networks would be successful unless us, as the fans watched it. If you count worldwide the number of viewers of Universe its substantial, and if we all pulled together to let the networks know there's still a slim chance whether the sets are down or not to bring it back to get the closure, us, as the FANS deserve after following this franchise for 17 god damn years.

Tanith0709
April 28th, 2011, 05:17 AM
You are all giving up/ in way too easily. What makes a show successful? FANS. None of these networks would be successful unless us, as the fans watched it. If you count worldwide the number of viewers of Universe its substantial, and if we all pulled together to let the networks know there's still a slim chance whether the sets are down or not to bring it back to get the closure, us, as the FANS deserve after following this franchise for 17 god damn years.

If you said that 4 months ago I would agree with you, but since Brad Wright's announcement I personally find anyone still campaigning for SGU's continuation to be deluding themselves (This is coming from someone who was actively involved in the SGUAwareness Campaign).

The franchise may still continue but in regards to Brad Wright's era we need to accept the fact that it's gone (after the next 2 episodes of SGU) and move on.

Egle01
April 28th, 2011, 06:36 AM
But if the ratings are high for the final episode, will that spark MGM to consider doing at least a tv movie followup to tie up the loose ends?If that would happen, I'd be unimaginably happy and bouncy. I wish! Unfortunately, it's not going to happen.

carmencatalina
April 28th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I'm afraid I'm with the (negative) majority here - even if, by some miracle, the final episodes got huge ratings, it is all over for SGU, and perhaps for the current incarnation of the Stargate franchise.

Galileo_Galilee
April 28th, 2011, 07:31 AM
From a network's point of view a show is successful if it makes gobs and gobs of money above the costs of producing it within a very short time of releasing it.

They only understand money, and don't really care about the fans.

While I like the show I say it's time to let it die and start something new.

I still miss Star Trek and would love to see new stuff about it.

But I'd also like to see new space based shows. Perhaps mixed with superheroes.

Yipikyyaysupremecommanderthor
April 28th, 2011, 07:46 AM
well firt off i thought continumm was a pretty good end to sg1 it ended how it began against the goauld but sgu should have a movie of them atleast returning to earth like earth is under LA attack and in the darkest hour destiny rides in and saves the day or they find god or maybe even ascended beings who created the universe... i will miss sgu though syfy is missing out i can say when sgu leaves the last true syfy show has left syfy

PS for santuary fans im not bumming u guys out i like the show i just dont see it as a science fiction show more paranormal

Duneknight
April 28th, 2011, 07:56 AM
fans in numbers do have the power but there arent that many fans to prompt change to stargate's situation. Stargate isnt an overly complicated show to reboot, and thats where its going. I would figure after 3 years we should be hearing some rumors.

Nathan Reynolds
April 28th, 2011, 09:01 AM
It pains me to say this but i believe that we will never see another incarnation of Stargate again.
Either it be a reboot or a sequel it over. IMO

Keeper
April 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM
tbh, i'm not sure even a reboot is in order.

BSG got a reboot - but it's lasted through the decades as a loved show. i never watched the reboot (for me it felt almost like a betrayal of the original) but it took off well at the time, and seemed quite impressively done.

i don't know about other shows that got a reboot.

dr who and star trek got sequels because of their impact on viewers, and their longevity.

star wars got prequels that were supposedly always intended, just the tech wasn't there for them. imho lucas realised he could keep milking a cash cow, but either way it too had an impact on viewers, and had a following that stayed with it through the long darkness of nothing on screen.

but i don't feel that stargate stands in such illustrious company. perhaps if it had been treated badly and dropped like a stone in the early stages, but it's had 17 years now, and the following seems to be decreasing if ratings are anything to go by.

perhaps i'm wrong. but, for me, i've no problem moving on from stargate, as there's 12 seasons of extremely high quality content (sg1-1 thru 8; atlantis 1 thru 4) and 3 seasons of very good content (sg1 - 9+10; atlantis 5) to go back to when i want.

i've yet to feel a desire to rewatch any of SGU though.

my personal opinion, at least.

magictrick
April 28th, 2011, 09:33 AM
But if the ratings are high for the final episode, will that spark MGM to consider doing at least a tv movie followup to tie up the loose ends?

Ratings won't be high and one episode doesn't change anything. You need consistent high ratings for a longer stretch and that's not happening as they have continued to struggle.

Basing on what's happening in Hollywood, the pattern is to reboot anything and everything they can get their hands on. This leads me to believe that in 5-10 years there's a good chance a reboot will happen.

Until then, enjoy your SG-1, SGA and SGU dvds.

Whitestar
April 28th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Not happening. (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?80683-Brad-Wright-Convention-Q-amp-A-(SGU-Movie-Is-A-No-Go)) When the finale airs, that's the end.

Yes, I read about that article as I previously mentioned. But I was wondering, could it be possible to at least tie up the show in a novel format that would be a part of the Stargate canon and fully authorized by Wright and Cooper, much like what J. Michael Straczynski did for the Babylon 5 novels?

KEK
April 28th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I'm sure it's possible, whether there is any will on Brad or MGM's part to do it however is anyone's guess. I'm hoping Gateworld can get an interview with either Brad Wright or Charles Cohen and get all this stuff put to them.

Nathan Reynolds
April 28th, 2011, 01:03 PM
who the hell is Charles Cohen?

As for the novels i would love to see the SGA movie script made into a novel, same goes for the third SG1 movie and now a SGU finale.

majorsal
April 28th, 2011, 01:38 PM
fans in numbers do have the power but there arent that many fans to prompt change to stargate's situation. Stargate isnt an overly complicated show to reboot, and thats where its going. I would figure after 3 years we should be hearing some rumors.

there ARE fans still interested, but i very much believe that a reboot is *not* going to interest the fans that are still craving and wanting sg1/atlantis/sgu.

forget the reboot, unless it's going to include sg1/atlantis/sgu.

i also think i'm giving up with mgm. i don't get any 'interest' from *them*. what about nbc/universal? isn't syfy owned by them? what about nbc/universal teaming with brad/? to buy the franchise from mgm?

Tanith0709
April 28th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Though in say 4 or 5 years from now (Using the time it took Star Trek to be rebooted as an estimate) how much would we still be craving SG1/SGA/SGU?

At that point would say most of us would check out a reboot purely out of curiosity and just be happy to see the Stargate name again. Also need to keep in mind that a reboot is targeted at new fans just as much as the established fanbase.

I was just as much a Star Trek fan as I was a Stargate fan when both were on the air, after Enterprise was canceled I was sad and wished that it could go on. But by the time Star Trek 2009 came along it had been a long while since I had watched anything Star Trek related and was just happy to see the Star Trek name again.

Keeper
April 28th, 2011, 01:56 PM
i didn't bother checking out the latest trek film, nor indeed did i watch much of enterprise. i've seen every episode, or nearly all, of every other trek show and i've seen all the other films.

i actually refused to watch the BSG reboot, because for me the original series is all there is. if it had been a follow on of some sort, sure, but a total reboot killed my interest.

with that in mind - if SG were rebooted, i'm not sure i'd be interested in the first place - 17 years of development is a bit much to throw out imho. even retooling it a bit wouldn't get my attention - whats done is very much done, at this point.

Tanith0709
April 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM
i didn't bother checking out the latest trek film, nor indeed did i watch much of enterprise. i've seen every episode, or nearly all, of every other trek show and i've seen all the other films.

i actually refused to watch the BSG reboot, because for me the original series is all there is. if it had been a follow on of some sort, sure, but a total reboot killed my interest.

with that in mind - if SG were rebooted, i'm not sure i'd be interested in the first place - 17 years of development is a bit much to throw out imho. even retooling it a bit wouldn't get my attention - whats done is very much done, at this point.

Fair enough. I know many fans felt that way with the recent Trek film but it was a success regardless. I have no doubt that if done right a Stargate reboot could be just as much of a success.

Even though I'm a fan of various franchises, I class myself as being a general fan of the genre. I judge every show I watch on its own merits regardless to what had proceeded it. The trailers for Star Trek 2009 looked awesome and so I went to watch it and ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Had the same attitude when I watched SGU aswell.

I would never put "fan loyalty" ahead of quality entertainment but that's just me personally.

KEK
April 28th, 2011, 04:27 PM
who the hell is Charles Cohen?

The MGM exec who is a massive Stargate fan.

Keeper
April 28th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Fair enough. I know many fans felt that way with the recent Trek film but it was a success regardless. I have no doubt that if done right a Stargate reboot could be just as much of a success.

Even though I'm a fan of various franchises, I class myself as being a general fan of the genre. I judge every show I watch on its own merits regardless to what had proceeded it. The trailers for Star Trek 2009 looked awesome and so I went to watch it and ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Had the same attitude when I watched SGU aswell.

I would never put "fan loyalty" ahead of quality entertainment but that's just me personally.

well, i'll be fair and admit i should have given the trek film a shot - i did hear good things about it. but i didn't have time when it was in the cinema, and i just never had enough interest after that to get around to it.

enterprise actually lost me because it was, for me, pretty crap. i saw bits and pieces, and it never made any sense because half of it seemed to be time travel wrecking as much as possible. again, i didn't have time to watch it when it was airing, but i never felt that i missed anything. fan loyalty be damned, rewriting everything that's gone before while pretending to be a prequel was a joke :p

dr who got me to watch it because of my appreciation for the show when i was a kid - the quality, sadly, seemed to degenerate fast in the second season of the new series (tenant's first year.) i stopped watching after that, i think - i don't think i even bothered with the third season at all.

universe got me to watch it because of loyalty, and i nearly stopped halfway through season 1 - the quality, for me, was poor (air 123 were fine - the rest was... iffy.) i gave it to the end of the first season, and it seemed to be picking up, so i thought - lets see what season 2 has. to be honest, i've found the season to be sketchy. common descent and epilogue have been fantastic, but barring a miracle i probably wouldn't have watched season 3 even if it were renewed.

as a result, i personally do believe that, with the quality of universe being... controversial, i think, is the best word (some people love it, some hate it, while SG1/A are more universally appreciated, from what i can tell - and held more solidly to ratings) it may be best to let it go, and remember the franchise well, rather than flogging a rotted husk in a few years time.

of course, season 3 may have shaped up to beat anything in sg1/a, or indeed any other show out there - but it seems that not enough people were pulled in with the changes, too many people were either lost or in the process of leaving, and the show failed to deliver on expectations of the current direction being the right change.

i'd rather remember it well, than watch it crash and burn.

Whitestar
April 28th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Ratings won't be high and one episode doesn't change anything. You need consistent high ratings for a longer stretch and that's not happening as they have continued to struggle.

Basing on what's happening in Hollywood, the pattern is to reboot anything and everything they can get their hands on. This leads me to believe that in 5-10 years there's a good chance a reboot will happen.

Until then, enjoy your SG-1, SGA and SGU dvds.

All too true, any show would need to have consistently good ratings for it to continue. :(

Whitestar
April 28th, 2011, 10:17 PM
tbh, i'm not sure even a reboot is in order.

BSG got a reboot - but it's lasted through the decades as a loved show. i never watched the reboot (for me it felt almost like a betrayal of the original) but it took off well at the time, and seemed quite impressively done.

With all due respect, the original BSG was crap, it wasn't a loved show, okay maybe for a minority of fans, but the rest of the sci-fi community couldn't care less for it. I liked it for nostalgic purposes, but I would hardly call it good sci-fi. The sad truth is that the show was never given a fair chance to succeed because it was originally conceived as a motion picture series, considering the theatrical release version was very successful at the box office, especially on the international market. However, ABC stepped in and ordered it to be shown as a tv series and forced the writers to rush in scripts, resulting in plotless and half-baked story ideas, and costing over a million dollars per episode which made the show go way over budget, eventually leading to its cancellation. Also, with the exception of the great late-Lorne Greene, Richard Hatch, and Terry Carter, none of the other actors were very good at all, especially Dirk Benedict. On the other hand, the BSG reboot is far superior in all aspects. I recommend you give it another chance, you may be pleasantly surprised! :)

i don't know about other shows that got a reboot.

dr who and star trek got sequels because of their impact on viewers, and their longevity.

Those shows got sequel series because they were excellent and very popular, unlike the original BSG.

star wars got prequels that were supposedly always intended, just the tech wasn't there for them. imho lucas realised he could keep milking a cash cow, but either way it too had an impact on viewers, and had a following that stayed with it through the long darkness of nothing on screen.

Agreed, the prequel trilogy was a complete turdfest and doesn't hold a candle to the original trilogy, not by a long shot. :)

but i don't feel that stargate stands in such illustrious company. perhaps if it had been treated badly and dropped like a stone in the early stages, but it's had 17 years now, and the following seems to be decreasing if ratings are anything to go by.

perhaps i'm wrong. but, for me, i've no problem moving on from stargate, as there's 12 seasons of extremely high quality content (sg1-1 thru 8; atlantis 1 thru 4) and 3 seasons of very good content (sg1 - 9+10; atlantis 5) to go back to when i want.

i've yet to feel a desire to rewatch any of SGU though.

my personal opinion, at least.

Stargate should take a much deserved rest and then it will be back better than ever, just like the case with Star Trek and Doctor Who. Just give it some time to cool off first.

Yipikyyaysupremecommanderthor
April 29th, 2011, 07:49 AM
listen their gonna reboot it it later down th road i know because thats what people do and it wont like reboot the entire storyline im guessing theyd reboot and retell stargate in a different way like they did with battlestar...theyll do anything for an audience thats how it works

Nathan Reynolds
April 29th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Even if MGM brings back Stargate it will happen in 5 to 10 years.

I dont believe it will happen in a complety rebooted show. Cos the state of Stargate now was a ton of lore/stories which has proven the soul of stargate success. They may do a "Seq-Boot": a indirect sequel with a little boot. A new writting team, new actors, new setting maybe a new mithology with the backdrop of previouss SG shows. A bit like they did with Star Trek and the various tvshow(i reckon, im not a big fan of the star trek tvshows)