How did Destiny travel through time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did Destiny travel through time?

When the Destiny found the second Destiny 'orbiting' the star that they had tried to use to open a wormhole to go back to Earth in, how did the Destiny travel backwards in time?
    The crew went through the gate while the wormhole passed through a solar flare, and I'm assuming that because the connection to Earth was lost the gate (instead of simply shutting down), just sent them to the closest available planet (2000 years in the past because of the flare).
    But Destiny didn't go through the stargate, so how did it manage to move back in time, and if it is because "flying through a solar flare makes you go back in time" (which doesn't make any sense as Destiny must have recharged from suns of thousands of times over its lifespan), surely it should've gone back the same amount of time as the stargate propelled the crew?

Or is there some really obvious explanation?

it probably has to do with humongous solar flare + gate activity.

Comment

The writers did it.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        it probably has to do with humongous solar flare + gate activity.
        this and it was needed for the plot

Comment

cuz that was Destiny's destiny

Comment

Because destiny was drawing power from the star, the amount of power needed was huge and therefore Destinies mass would have been increased dramatically. Add to that the speed they were travelling and the shields were losing strength. It’s the perfect storm, at that point the Destiny could do one of two things. It could either be torn to bits (boring story) or it could travel back in time and give the people on Destiny a chance to fix the ship (good story.) lol
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
              Because destiny was drawing power from the star, the amount of power needed was huge and therefore Destinies mass would have been increased dramatically. Add to that the speed they were travelling and the shields were losing strength. It’s the perfect storm, at that point the Destiny could do one of two things. It could either be torn to bits (boring story) or it could travel back in time and give the people on Destiny a chance to fix the ship (good story.) lol
              I didn't realize we were making up rules for ships we know nothing about. Glad to know that the writers aren't consistent enough to answer my question.

Comment

Its physics. If you increase something’s mass time will slow down around said thing, its why we see time dilation around black holes. It’s also how gravity works, when this happened inside the star the ship would have been exposed to god knows how much radiation while it was trying to re charge and connecting the wormhole could have created a minor subspace event that broke the camels back. Like I said, perfect storm.
                sigpic

Comment

Because it's apparently something that happens when a ship uses solar power to dial a gate while inside a star. It's no more or less contrived than a solar flare causing time travel in the first place.
                  Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                  Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                    Because it's apparently something that happens when a ship uses solar power to dial a gate while inside a star. It's no more or less contrived than a solar flare causing time travel in the first place.
                    *starts singing* Clap your hand if you believe in fairies!

Comment

putting aside the fact that time travel as it is portrayed in the stargate franchise is fairly childish. At least SG1 gave a reason for it.. matter in a wormhole is treated like energy and the wormhole itself winds round gravity wells (stars, planets etc) so when a solar flare intersects the wormhole while someone is being transported it effects the time the wormhole exits back into space.. simple.

but destiny wasn't being treated like energy, wasn't in a wormhole, and it wasn't explained adequately for a sci-fi program imo, they deviated into fantasy fiction on that episode.

Comment

Agreed that the physics does get a little vague at times in SG:U. Maybe its something to do with the active Stargate inside the star or the fact that the shields were failing who knows. We as fans need to fill in these blanks and make them fit with the facts of the show.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cor View Post
                          putting aside the fact that time travel as it is portrayed in the stargate franchise is fairly childish. At least SG1 gave a reason for it.. matter in a wormhole is treated like energy and the wormhole itself winds round gravity wells (stars, planets etc) so when a solar flare intersects the wormhole while someone is being transported it effects the time the wormhole exits back into space.. simple.

but destiny wasn't being treated like energy, wasn't in a wormhole, and it wasn't explained adequately for a sci-fi program imo, they deviated into fantasy fiction on that episode.
                          True if Destiny was captured and dragged along the wormhole wouldn't mass from the star, also be captured along?
                          sigpic
                          - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
                            Agreed that the physics does get a little vague at times in SG:U. Maybe its something to do with the active Stargate inside the star or the fact that the shields were failing who knows. We as fans need to fill in these blanks and make them fit with the facts of the show.
                            I think sci-fi fans need to complain when writers bring too much fantasy into the shows, if we don't i think its too easy for writers to fall into fantasy-fiction style kind of like Lost did at the end (not really explaining anything). There is a LOT of fans for the fantasy-fiction genre and i guess I'm one, but i also like my science-fiction, and i like it to have real or at least imagined science in it.

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
                            True if Destiny was captured and dragged along the wormhole wouldn't mass from the star, also be captured along?
                            the thing is that energy that's traveling through a wormhole might be able to go back in time (I'm willing to say i don't know enough to discount it), but to turn matter into energy and back again takes a stargate.. i don't see how destiny could have went into its stargate without being ripped apart. I kind of feel like the writers couldn't figure out a way for it to legitimately happen either, which is dissapointing.

Comment

To be honest the more I think about this the less I can justify this in my own head. I think that while it did make for a good plot line, out of context this episode will be looked back on in the same way we all view that whole wormhole drive fiasco at the end of Enemy at the gate.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X