PDA

View Full Version : Is Dr. Rush a "Bad guy" what do you think?

boxdudea
April 26th, 2011, 08:12 PM
What does the forum think? Is Dr. Rush a good guy or a bad guy? I can't make up my mind. Sometimes he seems like he's on the "up and up" and othertimes he seems so devious and only has HIS best interests in mind, not anyone else's. If this is in the wrong section please move this. I am not sure if this is in the right section because I thought this just talked about the characters of the show and most of the questions I see on this thread is This character likes this other character.

Pharaoh Atem
April 26th, 2011, 08:27 PM
nicky started out working against everyone but once he discovered destiny's true mission and getting beating up by young again made him realize that he needs to the crew to succeed. thus becoming equal with everyone

D Toccs
April 26th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't say that he's good or bad. He's pretty much the definition of "Chaotic Neutral".

He doesn't work against the crew as much as he initially did, but he is still prepared to manipulate everyone and keep secrets in order to further his own agenda.

Rush only cares about "the mission" to him everyone and everything else is irrelevant unless they can contribute to the furtherance of "the mission".

thekillman
April 26th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Rush is a pragmatist. what he wants, he achieves via the -in his eyes- best path.

even though his coup failed, it did make Young a stronger, better leader. and Young knows he needs to remain strong or else Rush steps in again and will do a coup again.

Rush does the most pragmatic thing. it shows in Epilogue where, when everyone is watching tapes, he goes look for useful supplies.

xxxevilgrinxxx
April 27th, 2011, 07:11 AM
What does the forum think? Is Dr. Rush a good guy or a bad guy? I can't make up my mind. Sometimes he seems like he's on the "up and up" and othertimes he seems so devious and only has HIS best interests in mind, not anyone else's. If this is in the wrong section please move this. I am not sure if this is in the right section because I thought this just talked about the characters of the show and most of the questions I see on this thread is This character likes this other character.One of the joys of SGU is that it never breaks down so simply as good guys and bad guys. He's done some awful things and there are times I'd like to throw the character out of an airlock. I certainly wouldn't trust him if my life depended on it, even a little, but he's not a moustache-twirling villain of yore either. In fact, the 'good guys' have done lots of shady things too. Rush isn't my idea of a good guy, but in SGU it's all a matter of degree, and how bad have you been this week. I think Rush is getting better at being better.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 28th, 2011, 07:26 AM
I don't think there are any "bad guys" or "good guys" on SGU. I think everyone is working, to some extent, for their own goals.

(this goes a long way to explain why I like this show so much)

Keeper
April 28th, 2011, 03:02 PM
rush is very much - for the good of the mission.

in such circumstances, people can easily fluctuate between what others would see as 'good' and 'bad' - yet they're merely working for the end goal. the methods might not be the most pleasant sometimes, but they forget that what they're doing is harmful to others, or even to themselves.

cor
May 5th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Rush it the most likable character on the ship imo. the more back-story i get on him the more i think i would have acted the same.. though his agenda with the ship has so far been to keep it in one piece and there for keeping every one alive has been synonyms with that.. not sure what will happen when its not.

Selkhet
May 11th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't say that he's good or bad. He's pretty much the definition of "Chaotic Neutral".

He doesn't work against the crew as much as he initially did, but he is still prepared to manipulate everyone and keep secrets in order to further his own agenda.

Rush only cares about "the mission" to him everyone and everything else is irrelevant unless they can contribute to the furtherance of "the mission".

I agree with that. Rush is based on Lost in Space's, Dr. Zachary Smith.
He is the guy everyone loves to hate, lol. ;)

You can't throw him out of an airlock because he is too valuable, but you cannot trust him father than you can throw 2 ton pick up truck either.

Trig
May 12th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I dont think he is good or bad, he doesnt seem to have the same sort of morals as other people, perhaps in his mind there is this big picture that is bigger than everyone else on the ship and more important than everything so loosing a few people along the way or lying to the crew is just something that has to be done...

KEK
May 13th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I don't think good guys and bad guys really exist in SGU. He certainly plays the antagonist at times, but I don't think he fits into any sort of 'villain' archetype.

Pharaoh Atem
May 13th, 2011, 09:33 PM
rush turned out quite alright by the end of the series.

mikee_junko
May 14th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Yeah i would say he is essentially a good guy. Not perfect by no means. But he knows what he's doing and how to get it done. He developed so well on that mission. Probably my favourite character by far.

admittedly i thought he was well dodgy at first. But as the saying goes genius's are often the crazy ones.

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM
"Crazy Uncle" sums it up quite well, really :D

Ripley2012
May 15th, 2011, 12:45 PM
This is such a good question and one that totally had me all over the place in the series. It seemed at the beginning of the story line, that he was devoid of all empathy towards crew members and egotistically driven to devise and conquer his own destiny (no pun intended) regardless of who it effected BUT the more his character developed, one could see a totally human side. His relationship with Amanda Perry kind of enfolded his true nature. Even near the end, especially when they were on the planet, I believe episode Twin Destinies, while everyone was very involved with the history of the other destiny, Rush was hell bent on another task which was to get enough fuel for the life support system. That scene in itself changed my whole outlook on him. Again, awesome question!!!!

Ripley2012
May 15th, 2011, 12:46 PM
totaly Crazy Uncle!

Trig
May 15th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Oh deffo the crazy uncle..

I think to start with he thought it was HIS destiny to be on the ship and the rest were just there because they came with him, I think later on he changed that to they were all there for a reason...

Anto117
January 1st, 2012, 04:04 PM
I never liked myself and if I was Colonel Young I would have killed him right on that planet where they found the crashed ship in season 1 and I would not lose 1 bit of sleep over it. As a man like Rush cant be trusted as far as you could throw him.

Duval
January 1st, 2012, 05:26 PM
I think that Rush is someone voucher at the bottom(in fact), if it countered cold or bad it is just by clumsiness or simply because it is not a sociable person and showing its feelings. After all, contrary to Young, he never has to try to kill whoever, certainly, he uses people, but to a certain extent, Young also (at least is this my opinion(notice)). Rush moreover, is capable of recognizing the potential at people, especially Eli, and of urging them to surpass itself (not always friendly certainly). In any case, I estimate(appreciate) him a lot, it is an interesting and very human character, what what makes him so imperfect, so charming (more in any case, than a lieutenant quite smooth scot or another quite smooth chloƩ also, this say, I have nothing against the fans of these two young people ^^)...

maneth
January 2nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Rush is the most interesting character in the SG franchise and I'd argue in sci-fi tv in general, with NuBSG Starbuck a close second. Good and evil are labels that don't apply to him. He's a pragmatist.

AlexanderD
January 2nd, 2012, 11:01 AM
I would never say bad. In my eyes he is a man driven, willing to be devious when needed. Also remember that a fine line exists between genius and insanity. He is brilliant, but more than willing to push the envelope to get where he wants to be.

maneth
January 2nd, 2012, 11:08 AM
Yeah, and he's pretty good at reading people and judging reactions before they happen too.

teyla-nick94
January 3rd, 2012, 02:44 AM
I don't think Rush is a "Bad Guy". I think he just doesnt want anyone get to close to him and than loose them like he lost Amanda and Gloria.
I like Rush - despite his sometimes strange behaviour

Duval
January 4th, 2012, 05:44 PM
And one not to say that Rush is bad, because, it is capable of love also, real love (not I am not romantic, not I dream not in secret that he likes(loves) I in brief). It is also a sensitive person, I have to notice that it is the one that we most see crying Oo
I said that he does not show his feelings, but in fact, he does not show them to whoever it is everything. It is a whole man, one can nutcase can be but seen that he in lived in his life, me does not say that that justifies its sometimes strange behavior and bad, but it can explain.

myhelix
January 5th, 2012, 09:51 AM
No, he was just obsessed and sometimes more rational than the rest of the crew.

teyla-nick94
January 6th, 2012, 03:55 PM
No, he was just obsessed and sometimes more rational than the rest of the crew.

:indeed: And the other people on board didn't like him.

Duval
January 6th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Other persons on board are stupid > <
Rush is not understood ;_;

maneth
January 6th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Smart, driven people rarely are. But I think he'd do better if he made the effort to understand others.

psl1
January 16th, 2012, 08:41 PM
From what I can understand of the plot and the mission, Rush is the single most important character in SGU. SGU would have failed without him. Yes Eli is brilliant, but without Rush to ask the right questions, Eli's relative brilliance would still be wasting away in some virtual world.

Great people always remember the great teachers that sparked them into their genius.

maneth
January 18th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Yeah, exactly. They'd be lost without Rush and his understanding of Destiny. Nobody else knows even a fraction of what he does.

Duval
January 18th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I also agree, Rush dedicates a lot of time to Destiny while the others content with waiting, complaining. Eli is a genius of mathematical but he is immature.

maneth
January 18th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Eli needs a good mentor, and I'm not sure Rush is patient enough for the task.

ZRFTS
January 28th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Good... Nah.
Bad... Nah.
Neutral... Yeah.

He just seems to be one of the guys who's only purpose is to work on Destiny; his actions may be up for interpretation but then again, there is the whole perception thing and the characters aren't helping much in that matter.

maneth
January 29th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Agreed. But he does soften around the edges a bit. Rush seems a lot more human in the second season.

psl1
February 2nd, 2012, 07:56 PM
I think if I were on destiny I would be closest to Eli and Rush. But I'd have my eyes on Lt James 8-D

teyla-nick94
February 10th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Agreed. But he does soften around the edges a bit. Rush seems a lot more human in the second season.

He showed some emotions in the first season, too. In 1x16 to Mandy - unfortunately just TJ noticed it. I wonder how the others would think of him if they saw him with Mandy

Duval
February 10th, 2012, 01:13 PM
He showed some emotions in the first season, too. In 1x16 to Mandy - unfortunately just TJ noticed it. I wonder how the others would think of him if they saw him with Mandy

They would have seen that he is not so horrible as that, that it is a man as the others, just more tortured and that if Mandy, so soft and kind woman, likes Rush it is for a good reason and as he thus gains to be better understood, better known.

teyla-nick94
February 26th, 2012, 07:04 AM
They would have seen that he is not so horrible as that, that it is a man as the others, just more tortured and that if Mandy, so soft and kind woman, likes Rush it is for a good reason and as he thus gains to be better understood, better known.

Maybe even the bad relationship between him and Young would have gone better and the others aboard wouldn't blame him anymore for what happened.

jeri
February 26th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Although, I thought that people on Destiny did notice that he and Mandy were friends, and probably did think that he can't be as hard as he seemed. I recall the part where they come into the mess hall and Mandy tries the bitter food, or when they go to have a drink, I think people noticed he was happier.

sacredclay
February 27th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I would never say bad. In my eyes he is a man driven, willing to be devious when needed. Also remember that a fine line exists between genius and insanity. He is brilliant, but more than willing to push the envelope to get where he wants to be.
He does have the ability to see to the heart of things, assessing the needs of many against a few. He may be coldly calculating, but he's calculating for the greater good as well, and ultimately, Young recognized that as an asset, however heartless it may be.

jeri
February 28th, 2012, 08:08 PM
He does have the ability to see to the heart of things, assessing the needs of many against a few. He may be coldly calculating, but he's calculating for the greater good as well, and ultimately, Young recognized that as an asset, however heartless it may be.
Yes, and the thing is, someone had to be that way, otherwise they would have been in worse trouble a number of times.

ZRFTS
February 29th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Yes, and the thing is, someone had to be that way, otherwise they would have been in worse trouble a number of times.

Correct. Without Rush, those people would never get anywhere onboard Destiny; even with Eli.

LT. COL. John Sheppard
February 29th, 2012, 03:57 AM
no

jeri
February 29th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Correct. Without Rush, those people would never get anywhere onboard Destiny; even with Eli.
Yeah, Eli was sure "out to lunch" there for a long while! I kept yelling at him, "You're on a spaceship! Wake Up!" I felt Rush's pain dealing with him. He finally got with it in the end though.

AutumnNoxx
March 4th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I don't think Rush is a "Bad Guy". I think he just doesnt want anyone get to close to him and than loose them like he lost Amanda and Gloria.
I like Rush - despite his sometimes strange behaviour

I was thinking the exact same thing because I totally understand his ambivalence towards people. When I was 3 I had a baby brother 2 years younger than me that was born with a heart problem because my mom's husband at the time was an abusive alcoholic and pushed her on the floor really hard when she was pregnant. He also burned my neck with a cigarette because I was crying about something and he was drunk and wanted me to shut up. Although Frankie (my brother) was in the hospital more than he was out while he lived, I got used to the routine and assumed he was always going to come home eventually. He died 2 days before his first birthday. To say I didn't take this news well would be the understatement of a lifetime. The only reason I am providing so much detail is because after that, I went mute. I didn't talk for two years. If anyone tried to talk to me, I'd put my fingers in my ears and walk away. It's why I cannot remember anything of my life before the time I was 4 years old. A tragedy like this can really mess a person up for life. Because of this, I have a really hard time allowing people to get too close to me (emotionally). So I immediately understood what was driving Rush. I also think that's why he's so obsessed with ascension. He's looking for immortality.

Kikyonyc
March 5th, 2012, 12:10 AM
No. He's more real, he definitely has weaknesses.