PDA

View Full Version : Stuff that bugged me in 'Epilogue'...

qingdom
April 26th, 2011, 05:59 PM
How did Yazoo(sp.) know about ALS? Unless it is a genetic thing curable thing like smallpox, then I cannot fathom how he knows this tidbit of data.
Varro took a deeeeeeeep fall. It would have required at least 5+ minutes for Young to analyze his condition for fractures / concusions before moving him especially with a rope tied around the waist area hoisted upwards.
Vulkur's words to Rush about the crew doing well without him, felt like a slap to the face. Vulkur didn't last that long into the founding of the settlement / establishment. Did he have the right to confront Rush like that? Rush found a lime replacement for current survivability. That had to have count for noble cause for the present (but could be cowardice to us audience knowing how Rush is for the most part)
Everythings' falling into place far too coincidentally. i.e. Destiny arriving just in time to get stuff just as the planet / city is deteriorating and lost forever. As if there's a puppet master watching (either this galaxys' ancients or some higher power).

That's all I have so far.... I was following the 'common descent' thread rather than create individual topics.

Thoughts?

morbosfist
April 26th, 2011, 06:03 PM
1. Yaozu knows about ALS because it is a condition passed on to TJ's descendents. With such a small gene pool, it was no doubt quite prevalent throughout their society.

2. The alternative was leaving him to die. Lesser of two evils. They were on the clock.

3. Rush had been moody the entire freaking time. Someone had to say it, and Volker caught on first.

4. Don't even start on this unless you plan to level the same complaint on every piece of fiction, ever.

garhkal
April 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Agreed on 1, 2 and 4.
As for 3. I am hoping someone at least thanks rush for what he did..

Gollumpus
April 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM
1. Yaozu knows about ALS because it is a condition passed on to TJ's descendents. With such a small gene pool, it was no doubt quite prevalent throughout their society.

2. The alternative was leaving him to die. Lesser of two evils. They were on the clock.

3. Rush had been moody the entire freaking time. Someone had to say it, and Volker caught on first.

4. Don't even start on this unless you plan to level the same complaint on every piece of fiction, ever.

1.) Yup.

2.) Yup.

3.) Yup. I mentioned that very thing in last week's forums. I are schmart.

4.) Yup.

I was also a bit annoyed at how big a settlement they had, how much wood they had cut, and how nice and even it all looked. Yes, they have engineers, and they know where various deposits of metal were, still it looked a bit too "clean cut" for my tastes. Granted this is the fault of the site they chose to shoot the episode, still it was a bit too good looking.

regards,
G.

Puddle-Jumper
April 26th, 2011, 07:32 PM
What bugged me is why Destiny isnt out there looking the novan ships, like surely they could travel back and forth between novus and the colonial for months trying to find that ship recharging at the stars as they go... I doubt anyone on board would have a probably with doing everything they could to save TJs life.

General Jumper One
April 26th, 2011, 08:07 PM
What bugged me is why Destiny isnt out there looking the novan ships, like surely they could travel back and forth between novus and the colonial for months trying to find that ship recharging at the stars as they go... I doubt anyone on board would have a probably with doing everything they could to save TJs life.

because all the jumps they would have to do could burn out the engines, we don't know how fast they are or their exact trajectory, they need to continue on with the mission

morbosfist
April 26th, 2011, 09:38 PM
because all the jumps they would have to do could burn out the engines, we don't know how fast they are or their exact trajectory, they need to continue on with the missionAnd even if they paced the engines, it could take years to find the ships, and that's assuming they even left a basic flightplan. One course correction and those ships are lost forever until they reach their destination.

Shylodog
April 26th, 2011, 09:57 PM
On number 2, if there was even the remote chance that Varro could live, he's the last of the LA on board Destiny, so I'm certain Young would do anything he could to save him. Especially since he knows TJ is smitten with him. He COULD have just left him to die so he could get the girl, but that would make him the mustache-twirling villain, since he tried that trick once before and it bit him in the butt.

actuallyliam
April 26th, 2011, 11:26 PM
What really bugged me was, what type of advanced nation, keeps there data storage inside a cement wall. What happens if a drive fails? You have to rip out the entire wall?

morbosfist
April 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I'd imagine the drive is removable, just not very portable. The drives are probably massive, way bigger than the shuttles could hope to carry. They're probably too big to even get out the room in one piece.

Wayston
April 27th, 2011, 03:15 AM
I have no problems with what was mentionned above. What did strike me as very implausible is that they needed to stay around after they had started their uplink. When I click the download button I don't need to physically stay around either the source or the target...

IF they had to download multiple files, then with the ease Eli claimed he whipped up a compression program he could have just as easily put in some sort of friendly trojan allowing them remote access... in fact if you can download remotely then the source is functioning as some sort of server, so you should be able to access the root directories remotely anyway

Basically I just can't imagine a civilization's noah's ark of knowledge could be that clunky to use remotely... except for the fact that if they had been more logical the plot would have been inconvenienced :)

Egle01
April 27th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Only thing that bugged me in "Epilogue" and "Common Descent" before that was men refusing to grow facial hair. Come on. They had tons of hard work to do, everybody were dirty and exhausted, yet they were perfectly shaved.

Nth Chevron
April 27th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Only thing that bugged me in "Epilogue" and "Common Descent" before that was men refusing to grow facial hair. Come on. They had tons of hard work to do, everybody were dirty and exhausted, yet they were perfectly shaved.

That was most likely military discipline and enforced throughout the settlement to increase productivity.

As for me, well the only thing that annoys me is EVERY FREAKING EPISODE SOMEONE POSTS A THREAD LIKE THIS PICKING AT THIS AND ****ING THAT, DONT WATCH THE ******* SHOW IF ALL YOUR GONNA DO AFTERWARDS IS COME ON HERE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE MOTHER ****ING THING ..

N.C

Egle01
April 27th, 2011, 05:37 AM
That was most likely military discipline and enforced throughout the settlement to increase productivity.Okay, I can go with that.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 27th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Egle,

Good point. I doubt electric razors are going to be very practical and when they're still using wooden tools what the hell are they shaving with? Practically speaking the facial hair doesn't work because they didn't have time in filming to allow the cast to grow beards. And paste on beards look fake.

Nth C,

Nitpicking is a time honored tradition among the geek community. Just let it go.

Shylodog
April 27th, 2011, 06:42 AM

However, they DID have Scott with longer hair during Chloe's labor sequence. I totally didn't recognize him except for his voice.

Egle01
April 27th, 2011, 06:55 AM
However, they DID have Scott with longer hair during Chloe's labor sequence. I totally didn't recognize him except for his voice.Yup, noticed that one.

The Destiny
April 27th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Yup, noticed that one.

Noticed that too. It looked quite natural, really well done.

I thought Park looked overly old during her labor sequence, as though she was already 50-60 or something. It looked natural in the scenes where they really were very old, but when she was giving birth.. I dunno, she looked fraking old. Age spots, messy thinning hair, everything.

And recently I just thought how odd it was that Wray was the last surviving member of Destiny. Eli, Chloe, James, Scott, those were all in their 20's when they arrived. About 10-15 years younger than Wray. I would've imagined one of them to be the last survivor. I guess she got really, really old.

thekillman
April 27th, 2011, 07:19 AM
but people like Wallace and Scott most likely had more dangerous jobs.

Shylodog
April 27th, 2011, 07:26 AM
And recently I just thought how odd it was that Wray was the last surviving member of Destiny. Eli, Chloe, James, Scott, those were all in their 20's when they arrived. About 10-15 years younger than Wray. I would've imagined one of them to be the last survivor. I guess she got really, really old.

Ancient Chinese Secret.

For those too young to remember, that was a line from a Calgon commercial back in the 70's. Seemed to apply here. ;)

The Destiny
April 27th, 2011, 10:40 AM
but people like Wallace and Scott most likely had more dangerous jobs.

Schoolteacher is a stressful profession :)

Meshakhad
April 27th, 2011, 02:31 PM
It definitely bugged me that Camille was the last survivor, given that she's in her forties or fifties, while Eli, Scott, Chloe, Greer, and probably half of the soldiers are in their early twenties.

Razor One
April 27th, 2011, 02:38 PM
My dad used to have a full head of hair.

Two years after my older brother was born, he was bald.

Families and children will take years off your life.

s09119
April 27th, 2011, 02:39 PM
It definitely bugged me that Camille was the last survivor, given that she's in her forties or fifties, while Eli, Scott, Chloe, Greer, and probably half of the soldiers are in their early twenties.

So? Why is that bothering people so much? Some people die young, especially with a lack of medicines and technologies. And some people live to be very old; Asians usually do.

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
April 27th, 2011, 02:56 PM
So? Why is that bothering people so much? Some people die young, especially with a lack of medicines and technologies. And some people live to be very old; Asians usually do.

Yes but they are not in modern Japan. I don't know if Chinise-Americans live longer though. It's not impossible for her but for Eli to have grandchildren that are about 25-35 (I think that's who he was) and Wray to be alive seems unlikely.

Perelandra
April 27th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Wray living longer than the others surprised me, too, but in a society without advanced medical technology/antibiotics it wasn't uncommon for women to die in childbirth...
So that might account for some of the women crew-Camille apparently didn't have children.
As, for the men-women tend to live longer?

garhkal
April 27th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Good point. I doubt electric razors are going to be very practical and when they're still using wooden tools what the hell are they shaving with?

Knives!
Crocodile Dundee style!

Not really. Her work was more than likely less stressful/exhausting.

darkthunder84
April 28th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Assuming the following:

Settling on Novus:
Camille age 40
Eli age 25

Eli get's his first kid ~10 years after arriving on Novus. Now, Camille is 50. Kid grows up and has his own kid (a son) at age 20. When Eli first becomes a grandfather, he would be 55 years old, and Camille would be 70.

The grandchild grows up to become the new principal of "Eli Wallace Elementary" at around age 25. Thus Eli would've been around 80, and Camille would be 95. Eli could've died just prior to the opening of the school, or he could've died 10 years prior. Either way, his age was definitely enough, and Camille wouldn't be "super old". Given the right conditions, and living habits, all humans have a theoretic life length of 100 years, some even live longer. More common in Asian people, than any other ethnicity.