PDA

View Full Version : Exponential increase in minutia?

onik
April 26th, 2011, 02:50 AM
As recording devices got into the hands of an increasing population that takes it's example from Eli, wouldn't the last two thirds of data be mostly diaries and recordings that every individual made religiously? Unless they were capable of recording data in other ways besides like The Office, but since they approached this with sort of a religeous slant it may have actually hampered their progress some. What do you think?

gaguhan.galore
April 26th, 2011, 05:46 AM
magic kino batteries from nowhere and magic kino disk drives from nowhere.

the only solutions i can think of.

*shrug*

Nth Chevron
April 26th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Well they had to record other things, scientific logs, exploration notes, experiment data, theories.

Just leave out the political minutes and Eli could have streamed the archives in the space of the episode :P

N.C

kellx
April 26th, 2011, 08:18 AM
yeah, i find it hard to beleive that there was enough batteries to keep those kinos going for 2000 years

darkthunder84
April 26th, 2011, 08:36 AM
yeah, i find it hard to beleive that there was enough batteries to keep those kinos going for 2000 years

A Naquadah-reactor is a miniature "Nuclear Reactor", and a ZPM is even more powerful than that.

Surely, the Ancients developed batteries which were far more powerful than our Alkaline batteries? :P

Shylodog
April 26th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I would say, the lack of information saved was purely due to Eli's selfish pride. Had he started copying from the latest to the oldest, he likely would have saved the cures that everyone onboard will desperately need. Instead he chose to save from the earliest recordings to the present, just so they could see what their alternate selves did and recorded.

The most effective route would have been to take Rush's stance and just get the most important data first - the most recent and advanced. To hell with with alternate selves. Their legacy is literally staring them in the face onboard Destiny and it shouldn't matter (for our Destinians) how it got there.

Just my 2 cents. Although I personally DID like the background stories.

Kaiphantom
April 26th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Even without power, information can be saved. Our hard drives don't require active power to hold information. So even if the Kino batteries died, there would still be information saved on them, so they'd just need to save the kinos until the civilization advanced to a point where they could read data off them and save it elsewhere.

morrismike
April 26th, 2011, 03:50 PM
A Naquadah-reactor is a miniature "Nuclear Reactor", and a ZPM is even more powerful than that.

Surely, the Ancients developed batteries which were far more powerful than our Alkaline batteries? :P
A credit card sized device with a micro turbine and fueled with a drop of gasoline would provide significantly more energy than a battery.

garhkal
April 26th, 2011, 05:14 PM

They more than likely recharged them from the gate platform.

Even without power, information can be saved. Our hard drives don't require active power to hold information. So even if the Kino batteries died, there would still be information saved on them, so they'd just need to save the kinos until the civilization advanced to a point where they could read data off them and save it elsewhere.

True. Those kinos have so far been able to store stuff even with a dead battery (TIME)..

Keeper
April 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM
considering how prolific eli seemed to be at writing books, and how many advancements were made - it's reasonable to say that, even if they were stored in a diary format, the civilisation stored everything they could.

geographical data, personal diaries, reports... everything. there's no way to know how much material they produced through, for example, medical research alone - with who knows how many diseases they cured, how many advancements they made. mining records were probably kept from the very beginning - considering they're now at skyscrapers, nuclear weapons, and sublight starships, thats a hell of a lot of mining.

by the time they were finished recording all the business diaries, many people may have found it a bit much to have to repeat it all into a personal diary - a quick notation every so often might have been made, but most major things were already a part of their recording systems. even various stages of pregnancy are recorded by any halfway decent doctor, if only to say 'all normal, come back in a few weeks.'

garhkal
April 26th, 2011, 06:03 PM
That makes me wonder WHY they stored everything in that databse. Was it done just in case earth ever made it out there?

tinerin
April 26th, 2011, 06:25 PM
That makes me wonder WHY they stored everything in that databse. Was it done just in case earth ever made it out there?

It was mentioned in the previous episode that many believed Destiny would someday return.

Keeper
April 26th, 2011, 06:28 PM
why not?

eli realised pretty early on that time travel might have happened, so sure, earth making contact was a possibility.

but - we're using the internet right now. why? well, why not?

without storing the information, it would be lost when the people with it die. since they had the means, at an early stage, to record information digitally, they were able to bypass paper to some extent. the records of entire civilisations on earth have been damaged and lost because they weren't recorded and stored safely - and eli would have encouraged novus not to make the same mistake, so that they would always be able to trace back to where they came from.

Puddle-Jumper
April 26th, 2011, 07:22 PM

They wouldn't need that long, plus its possible after 50 years or so they found a way to recharge them, maybe recreate the charging plates from Destiny or they might have built a computer to download the data into, who's to say after 100 years they didn't have recording devices of their own, and the kinos were retired to a museum.

DigiFluid
April 26th, 2011, 08:02 PM
In our world, this is called 'the Youtube effect'.

Shadow_7
April 26th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Perhaps they had the view of the Destiny crew. i.e. Time Capsule. We're all going to die. We'll never make it home. For posterities sake...

Seems to me that the gate could recharge kino's for a duration. Now downloading the contents and storing them long term, it doesn't seem to me that they'd be capable of that for the first decade plus IMO. But who knows, maybe the remote(s) are really fricking big HDDs. And/or the gate(s). Plus that whole iMovie laptop thing.

A bunch of scientists and all, a wet paper towel and a penny can generate a charge. Enough of them and you've got a reasonable power source. Same with potatoes and copper wiring... and such things. Just like a little 3" x 3" solar panel isn't going to power your car, a grid of 100 x 100 of those 3" x 3" panels could.... (in theory).

Nth Chevron
April 27th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Hows about, "Just in-case we have gone back in time, ad Eli's insistence on documenting EVERYTHING, even on Destiny, lets record everything we do and leave it for our selves to read about in the future, or just for the hell of it"

Besides, i believe i am correct in thinking a simple voltaic battery could have helped with power, i believe it was used in Andromeda by using Alkaline soil and heated metal plates?

N.C

garhkal
April 27th, 2011, 03:48 PM
They made several in that 80s show, Gilligans Island with seawater and coconuts..

Trinary
April 27th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I would not surprise if Eli able to charge the Kino power from the Stargate circuit, since he was made a subspace Morse code transmitter from a broken stargate circuit on the last episode.

Vicious
April 28th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Well they had to record other things, scientific logs, exploration notes, experiment data, theories.

Just leave out the political minutes and Eli could have streamed the archives in the space of the episode :P

N.C

Agreed! But that would be too easy

Nth Chevron
April 28th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I would not surprise if Eli able to charge the Kino power from the Stargate circuit, since he was made a subspace Morse code transmitter from a broken stargate circuit on the last episode.

No, he turned the subspace beacon indicating working gate or buggered gate on and off whilst Scott gave him the morse code message to send.

N.C

Shadow_7
April 30th, 2011, 07:31 PM
It's more likely that he showed Scott how to turn it on and off and Scott sent the message. Although Eli does seem to have a natural tallent for linguistic type stuff, so he might have already known morse code.

Keeper
April 30th, 2011, 07:37 PM
as far as i remember:

dot dot dot / dash dash dash / dot dot dot
SOS

morse code - really not that hard, for the simplest message there is :p

and if i've got the dashes and dots the wrong way - well tbh, they're military men and scientists aboard that ship. if they can't figure it out, i'm not sure i want to hang around with them any more anyway :p

garhkal
April 30th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Pity they never showed teh whole message.. Would have been great to see how close to real morse code they were.

morrismike
May 2nd, 2011, 04:38 AM
The message would not be SOS. It would be "the drones are gone, pick us up".