Exponential increase in minutia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exponential increase in minutia?

As recording devices got into the hands of an increasing population that takes it's example from Eli, wouldn't the last two thirds of data be mostly diaries and recordings that every individual made religiously? Unless they were capable of recording data in other ways besides like The Office, but since they approached this with sort of a religeous slant it may have actually hampered their progress some. What do you think?

magic kino batteries from nowhere and magic kino disk drives from nowhere.

the only solutions i can think of.

*shrug*

Comment

Well they had to record other things, scientific logs, exploration notes, experiment data, theories.

Just leave out the political minutes and Eli could have streamed the archives in the space of the episode

N.C

Comment

yeah, i find it hard to beleive that there was enough batteries to keep those kinos going for 2000 years

Comment

Originally posted by kellx View Post
          yeah, i find it hard to beleive that there was enough batteries to keep those kinos going for 2000 years
          A Naquadah-reactor is a miniature "Nuclear Reactor", and a ZPM is even more powerful than that.

Surely, the Ancients developed batteries which were far more powerful than our Alkaline batteries?

Comment

I would say, the lack of information saved was purely due to Eli's selfish pride. Had he started copying from the latest to the oldest, he likely would have saved the cures that everyone onboard will desperately need. Instead he chose to save from the earliest recordings to the present, just so they could see what their alternate selves did and recorded.

The most effective route would have been to take Rush's stance and just get the most important data first - the most recent and advanced. To hell with with alternate selves. Their legacy is literally staring them in the face onboard Destiny and it shouldn't matter (for our Destinians) how it got there.

Just my 2 cents. Although I personally DID like the background stories.

Comment

Even without power, information can be saved. Our hard drives don't require active power to hold information. So even if the Kino batteries died, there would still be information saved on them, so they'd just need to save the kinos until the civilization advanced to a point where they could read data off them and save it elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by darkthunder84 View Post
                A Naquadah-reactor is a miniature "Nuclear Reactor", and a ZPM is even more powerful than that.

Surely, the Ancients developed batteries which were far more powerful than our Alkaline batteries?
                A credit card sized device with a micro turbine and fueled with a drop of gasoline would provide significantly more energy than a battery.

Comment

They more than likely recharged them from the gate platform.

Even without power, information can be saved. Our hard drives don't require active power to hold information. So even if the Kino batteries died, there would still be information saved on them, so they'd just need to save the kinos until the civilization advanced to a point where they could read data off them and save it elsewhere.
                  True. Those kinos have so far been able to store stuff even with a dead battery (TIME)..

Comment

considering how prolific eli seemed to be at writing books, and how many advancements were made - it's reasonable to say that, even if they were stored in a diary format, the civilisation stored everything they could.

geographical data, personal diaries, reports... everything. there's no way to know how much material they produced through, for example, medical research alone - with who knows how many diseases they cured, how many advancements they made. mining records were probably kept from the very beginning - considering they're now at skyscrapers, nuclear weapons, and sublight starships, thats a hell of a lot of mining.

by the time they were finished recording all the business diaries, many people may have found it a bit much to have to repeat it all into a personal diary - a quick notation every so often might have been made, but most major things were already a part of their recording systems. even various stages of pregnancy are recorded by any halfway decent doctor, if only to say 'all normal, come back in a few weeks.'
                    Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

That makes me wonder WHY they stored everything in that databse. Was it done just in case earth ever made it out there?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        That makes me wonder WHY they stored everything in that databse. Was it done just in case earth ever made it out there?
                        It was mentioned in the previous episode that many believed Destiny would someday return.

Comment

why not?

eli realised pretty early on that time travel might have happened, so sure, earth making contact was a possibility.

but - we're using the internet right now. why? well, why not?

without storing the information, it would be lost when the people with it die. since they had the means, at an early stage, to record information digitally, they were able to bypass paper to some extent. the records of entire civilisations on earth have been damaged and lost because they weren't recorded and stored safely - and eli would have encouraged novus not to make the same mistake, so that they would always be able to trace back to where they came from.
                          Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

They wouldn't need that long, plus its possible after 50 years or so they found a way to recharge them, maybe recreate the charging plates from Destiny or they might have built a computer to download the data into, who's to say after 100 years they didn't have recording devices of their own, and the kinos were retired to a museum.
                            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

In our world, this is called 'the Youtube effect'.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X