Medical knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical knowledge

Since TJ was the most medically knowledgeable person on board and she was not a trained doctor, it seems like this is one area in which the society would have started off with a serious lack of knowledge. Given that, its a little surprising that they would have ended up having cured diseases which we or even the ancients could not cure.

I have not seen the episode.

But from what I have read, the disease was genetic. Given there small size of the gene pool, I can easily imagine that the civilisation focus its energy on genetic manipulation and removing and or repairing genetic flaws as and when they prop up. An given I am sure these people were pretty advance Mathmatics and engineering, way more advance than anything they could actually build, I could imagine many people focus there talents on developing one area where they were not quite as advance. An area where they could easily experiment and play around, Medicine.

I would not be surprise that by the time Destiny have launch than the Ancients have already removed many genetic diseases from there genome and simply did not upload this knowledge onto the Destiny databanks.

Comment

Is there a doctor within the Novusians colony on destiny?

Comment

For plot convenience, and the great drama that following TJ decline over the next 3 planned seasons, no there will not be a doctor amongst the survivors we picked up that knows the cure of by heart. Sadly we will never see those seasons written and filmed.
        Last edited by knowles2; 26 April 2011, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Since TJ was the most medically knowledgeable person on board and she was not a trained doctor, it seems like this is one area in which the society would have started off with a serious lack of knowledge
          given she has the most valuable knowledge and the key to a continued future, i think Eli would have a Kino on her at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by BadOnion View Post
            Since TJ was the most medically knowledgeable person on board and she was not a trained doctor, it seems like this is one area in which the society would have started off with a serious lack of knowledge. Given that, its a little surprising that they would have ended up having cured diseases which we or even the ancients could not cure.
            There is a very limited pool of people really smart enough to make medical advancement anyway. At the present, most of those people are in engineering, science, law and a few of them are in medical school. The Novus society will be teaching kids actual stuff instead of schools being a babysitting service. I'm not so sure starting from scratch would be such a bad thing as our existing "knowledge" is no doubt holding back a lot of needing advancements.

Comment

How the colony survive for 30 years to dealt with sickness and diseases without a doctor?

Any medical practitioners or nurses will do to understand symptoms and know where to look in the database to help finding a cure.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                For plot convenience, and the great drama that following TJ decline over the next 3 planned seasons, no there will not be a doctor amongst the survivors we picked that knows the cure of by heart. Sadly we will never see those seasons written and filmed.
                Do you think those three seasons would have jumped ahead in time? She wouldn't show any symptoms for 5 years...so wonder if the writers would have skipped ahead/moved SGU time faster than our time.
                sigpic
                Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
                O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
                Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
                O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

Originally posted by icsteffi View Post
                  Do you think those three seasons would have jumped ahead in time? She wouldn't show any symptoms for 5 years...so wonder if the writers would have skipped ahead/moved SGU time faster than our time.
                  And worse case scenario, there are always the stasis pods.

Comment

Originally posted by icsteffi View Post
                    For spoiler stake. My answer is in the tags.

Spoiler:

I think there are many possibilities and roads the writers could go down. For instant something on Novas slowed down the disease for instant.
                    But we know they are also going to be using the status pods found by Rush, Brody, and Eli in the next 2 episodes, so it possible that they spends years in those chambers but the statis chambers does not slow down or prevent TJ disease from progressing.
                    But the writers would be stupid to ignore such a great story telling device.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinary View Post
                      How the colony survive for 30 years to dealt with sickness and diseases without a doctor?

Any medical practitioners or nurses will do to understand symptoms and know where to look in the database to help finding a cure.
                      The same way our ancestors did. Experimentation and observation. The present medical knowledge gave the Novians an advantage that say the ancient Greeks didn't have
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Another advantage in favour of the Novans is that they didn't inherit certain superstitious beliefs that held back medical knowledge in the real world. They knew right off the bat that diseases were not caused by demons, magic or any other hocus pocus, nor would they have considered certain things such as basic hygiene to be unnecessary if one was of high status.

While new superstitions probably did grow to fill in the vacuum, the fact that they had written and visual records soon after they got established would have curtailed the loss of too much knowledge and would have spurred development.

Comment

Originally posted by BadOnion View Post
                          Yeah makes sense. Maybe she did an Eli and wrote a book or two before she got worse.

Originally posted by Razor One View Post
                          Another advantage in favour of the Novans is that they didn't inherit certain superstitious beliefs that held back medical knowledge in the real world. They knew right off the bat that diseases were not caused by demons, magic or any other hocus pocus, nor would they have considered certain things such as basic hygiene to be unnecessary if one was of high status.

While new superstitions probably did grow to fill in the vacuum, the fact that they had written and visual records soon after they got established would have curtailed the loss of too much knowledge and would have spurred development.
                          On the contrary they believed Rush was a demon who could suck the life out of them. Superstition was alive and kicking on Nova.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceship View Post
                            On the contrary they believed Rush was a demon who could suck the life out of them. Superstition was alive and kicking on Nova.
                            Wait..... he's not?

Comment

Actually, i believe the words spoken were "The less enlightened amongst us believe he was a demon who could suck souls out of peoples bodies

I think this phrase was intended to show that, the story of Rush being a demon was used to frighten kids into doing their chores and homework, where as once you grew out of them, you begin to understand that Rush was a Destiny crew member whose actions placed concern on his rather dubious moral fibre, but definitely not anything magical

N.C

Comment

Working...
                              X