Rogue Black Holes and Solar Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rogue Black Holes and Solar Systems

Obviously tidal forces are causing the volcanic activity on Novus, but...

Is it really the gravity of the black hole that is causing the volcanic activity or did the black hole force the planet into a more eccentric orbit with it's sun?

I would think the latter more be more likely. If the black hole was traveling very quickly, the planet would probably be either eaten up or ejected from the system by now. And with a slow black hole, the orbits of the planets would be nudged off course long before any serious gravitational effects were felt. But I'm really just guessing.

Is the situation even feasible?

What's your opinion?

The black hole would push or pull the planet out of orbit and cause it to change the location of its axis which would upset magnetic alignment and throw the planet into chaos.

Comment

True. though i would like to know HOW you get a rogue black hole just turning up? Do they move around?

Comment

concentric orbit with the solar system

Comment

The black hole was ripping the planet apart. The crust was cracking creating new fault lines and volcanos. The planet would eventually be ripped apart an be sucked into the black hole. And yes black holes do move or a solar system can move toward them. Please correct me if I am wrong on the movement of black holes but solar systems do move so yes such a situation is possible.
          ZPM Odyssey

sigpic

Help continue the MALPs in the MALP room song

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...MALP-room-song

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            Do they move around?
            "Moving around" would be the very definition of rogue in this instance.

Comment

Its tidal stresses, a little bit like the way that the moon pulls on the ocean. The magma was being pulled towards the black hole like a high tide and this caused eruptions. That being said yes rogue black holes do exist and have been documented. The only science that did let me down in that episode was that there should be temporal distortions that would arrive at the same time that the gravity did.
              sigpic

Comment

no need for temporal disturbances. the black hole was in the system but our solar system, depending on the definition, is as big as one lightyear across.

the planet only needs to be nudged a little before nasty things begin to happen

Comment

Well look at what happened a few months back, when the moon was at its closest point to the earth in 15 years and we have 4 Huge earthquakes (please tell me I’m not the only person who thinks this is a little coincidental)? The moon is only ¼ the size of earth. A black hole would be insane!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
                    Well look at what happened a few months back, when the moon was at its closest point to the earth in 15 years and we have 4 Huge earthquakes (please tell me I’m not the only person who thinks this is a little coincidental)? The moon is only ¼ the size of earth. A black hole would be insane!
                    Wow, I knew about the proximity during that time period but never even thought of the correlation between the two. We'd need an actual scientific study for more concrete answers, but it's certainly an interesting (and terrifying) coincidence at least.
                    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Which were those earthquakes??

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        Which were those earthquakes??
                        ...Japan, for one?
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

there ws Japan, New zealand, Thailand, and I agree we need an astrophysicist to be 100% sure about it. I found this graph on the internet; look at the spike in earthquake activity in 1995. This is the same year that the moon is closest to earth.

http://fivewisevirgins.com/wp-conten...arthquakes.png
                          sigpic

Comment

you know thinking about the time dilation effect of black holes there should actually be a noticeable difference in the passage of time when destiny passes between galaxies, since earth is closer to the black hole at the center of our galaxy than destiny would be to a black hole in between galaxies.. wow it gets quite confusing actually lol. shame the writers seemed to shy away from the subject, i find it really interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by cor View Post
                              you know thinking about the time dilation effect of black holes there should actually be a noticeable difference in the passage of time when destiny passes between galaxies, since earth is closer to the black hole at the center of our galaxy than destiny would be to a black hole in between galaxies.. wow it gets quite confusing actually lol. shame the writers seemed to shy away from the subject, i find it really interesting.
                              Well there is also the debate over the Doppler Effect; we know that the Lantian warship Tria was subject to time distortion as a result of a poorly slapped together FTL drive. It’s a shame that SG:U sacrificed science for drama, I think if they hadn’t swapped this the show could have gone much further. That being said I’m not a hater, I love SG:U and I’m sad to see it go but the writers did walk away from a winning formula in this regard.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X