Zats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zats

Ok, I have seen EVERY episode of Stargate four times. We all know that each time you shoot someone with a zat that it does more damage.

1 time stuns
    2 times kill
    3 times disintegrates

What I have never understood is, when SG-1 is trying to sneak around on a Goa'uld ship or base they only zat people once or twice. I would zat them the third time to get rid of the bodies so that no one would know they were there. That's just always seemed peculiar to me.
    sigpic

They decided that it was a ridiculous thing to happen and the writers regretted it I believe??? I am sure someone else will be able to back me up on this. Am I right in thinking that maybe in a different cut of children of the gods wasn't that removed or something I thought???

Comment

I've got the newest cut of "Children of the Gods" and it was till in there
      sigpic

Comment

Maybe I got it wrong, I could have sworn I read something about the writers realising it was silly and they changed it, but maybe it was more of a quiet change type of thing. Never mentioned but always understood.

Comment

Originally posted by traylormatt View Post
          Maybe I got it wrong, I could have sworn I read something about the writers realising it was silly and they changed it, but maybe it was more of a quiet change type of thing. Never mentioned but always understood.
          They made fun of it in "Wormhole X-treme!" because it was considered so stupid. I remember hearing it in one of the commentaries if I'm not mistaken.
          "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
          - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

It was also in 1969 and another episode, I don't even remember it being in Children of the Gods

Comment

brad and rob have laughed about the zat for years. damn you glassner
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I've also heard that the writers decided it was stupid and just quietly stopped using it after a couple of seasons ("1969" was in Season 2, and therefore may well have been made before the 3-shots-disintegrates idea was abandoned). Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it, and I do use it in my fic, although then again I'm writing a late Season 2 fic that spins off a slight AU from that point, so that's my excuse, lol.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                sigpic
                now also appearing on DeviantArt
                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by nickblack2010 View Post
                  I've got the newest cut of "Children of the Gods" and it was till in there
                  The Zat wasn't introduced until the end of season 1, so the recut Children of the Gods shouldn't have it at all.

I am not sure if it was something they thought was silly or stupid (at least until new show runners took over), but at the time (end of season 1 and during season 2) it did serve a use in some episodes so I don't think they would have considered it stupid or anything like that. If I had to guess why they stopped using it, I think because they wanted to restore the status quo. One of the problems with a show like Stargate, is finding a way to lose something advanced they have learnt. I think between SG1 and SGA, they've lost something like 6 or 7 advanced alien ships and often any advanced technological advanced have had major flaws that have come back to bite them in the ass. It's not so interesting if they keep all the cool stuff they find, or they don't save the day by good old human luck.

From a production point of view, adding Zat effect was probably expensive so doing transition shots removing the body after three hits, was probably just more than they were willing to spend.

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                  It was also in 1969 and another episode, I don't even remember it being in Children of the Gods
                  Family, when O'Neill shot Fro'tac

That's why I don't think it was stupid, as when they first used it and the two following episodes (1969 and Family), it was used smart and could have been used in similar situations throughout the series.

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                  I've also heard that the writers decided it was stupid and just quietly stopped using it after a couple of seasons ("1969" was in Season 2, and therefore may well have been made before the 3-shots-disintegrates idea was abandoned). Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it, and I do use it in my fic, although then again I'm writing a late Season 2 fic that spins off a slight AU from that point, so that's my excuse, lol.
                  The best thing is, that three hits from a Zat was never retconned. They just stopped using it. It makes sense, as when you're in a fight, why waste three shots on a person when one may do, or two if necessary.

sigpic

Comment

Of course, eight or so zat blasts did nothing to a Kull.

Comment

i think that story wise sg-1 didn't use it because they wouldn't kill the jaffa if they didn't have too (most of the time they just zat them once). and as for it not being noticed they would notice that the jaffa are missing.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                        Of course, eight or so zat blasts did nothing to a Kull.
                        SG1 has shown that Zat blasts can be absorbed with the right material. Aris Boch had a suit that could do it, Kull Warrior armour blocked almost everything.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                          The Zat wasn't introduced until the end of season 1, so the recut Children of the Gods shouldn't have it at all.
                          That was my mistake, I thought it had something to do with the re-edit. Been a long time since I watched season one so I stand very corrected.

Comment

What I want to know is why the heck did R&D not redesign the zat weapon to a more hand/sighting friendly version? I mean really? In the ten plus years of exposure to the weapon platform and constant use no one thought, "hey, you know what? I could make this into a pistol so my military experience with that weapon platform would transfer over more easily, huh. I am a genius!" The basis for the redesign was already there in the episode where they found those weapon trainers where the two sides were engaged in mock combat against the SGC. You can't tell me no one thought about this.
                            "AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM"

Comment

why would the change it? i personally loved the design that it had, and i think it made sense it didn't resemble something like a pistol since it wasn't an earth weapon.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X