Head toward the star!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head toward the star!

Seriously, have they not learned that drones will follow them through the star and thus eradicate their problem? If I was in command, I would definitely use the star gate when I was in close proximity to a star. Then, once the drones come, I would head toward the star and wipe them out. Rinse, then repeat.

Also, FTL appears to disintegrate the drones as well.

I guess I'm just frustrated to see no tactics involved at all.

I'm also frustrated that Eli didn't figure out how to make a makeshift CWIZ and use it as drone defense. It would be much more effective than Destiny's defenses, and as shown by the fight scene on the ground, very much effective.

what is a CWIZ?

Comment

Originally posted by SG-1-AU View Post
      Seriously, have they not learned that drones will follow them through the star and thus eradicate their problem? If I was in command, I would definitely use the star gate when I was in close proximity to a star. Then, once the drones come, I would head toward the star and wipe them out. Rinse, then repeat.

I guess I'm just frustrated to see no tactics involved at all.

I'm also frustrated that Eli didn't figure out how to make a makeshift CWIZ and use it as drone defense. It would be much more effective than Destiny's defenses, and as shown by the fight scene on the ground, very much effective.
      That planet was a long way from the star and they can't exactly outrun the drones when they're low on power until they get there. And jumping to FTL to destroy them only works when they're directly on top of the ship and they're safe to make said jump.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
        what is a CWIZ?
        Automatic mini-gun that can shoot down anti-ship missiles. Google images is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          That planet was a long way from the star and they can't exactly outrun the drones when they're low on power until they get there. And jumping to FTL to destroy them only works when they're directly on top of the ship and they're safe to make said jump.
          Perhaps you missed my intent. I'm not holding it against them the first time. It's them getting caught with their pants down again and again is what I get annoyed at.

Comment

Dialing the Stargate whilst close to the Star, anyone else think this could be tempting fate .. again?

N.C

Comment

how do you expect Eli to mount CWIZ on destiny?? How about kino min-guns??
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                Dialing the Stargate whilst close to the Star, anyone else think this could be tempting fate .. again?

N.C
                Close is relative. Earth dialed close to a sun without a problem, except when we didn't know what we were doing and over rode gate dialing protocols.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                  what is a CWIZ?
                  It's CIWS. Phalanx Close-in Weapon System. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS They kick out a wall of 20mm depleted uranium shells to foil incoming missiles. The rate of fire is sufficiently rapid (3k-4k rounds/min) that they sound like a fast, loud, buzz, or a "brrrrrrrrrrrrp". You don't hear the individual round reports. We used to call the sound "The Abandon Ship Alarm" ;-)

Issue of not being able to combust propellant for the rounds outside the ship; aside...even a contemporary type CIWS would require some machining tools they seem to lack on board. Unless that robot can machine things but I doubt it.

They could use gauss cannons like the initial armament of the Prometheus and Daedalus class ships; but I would expect those would need even further advanced machining; and exotic alloys for the power caps, etc etc.

On the hyperdrive strat to destroy the drones...the ships acceleration seems to smash them against the shields. I never tire of seeing that. Just looks cool. Issue of not being able to go to hyper drive on whim (wear on engines, countdown timer, w/e).

Edit: CIWS being a sort of generic acronym for ANY close in weapon system. There are others...the Russian AK-630M2 "Duet" with 30mm rounds; and 5k rounds/min. http://warfare.ru/?linkid=1737&catid=311&image=2071
                  vid: http://youtu.be/OHk7yUzHCWI
                  Last edited by Hohenzollern; 22 April 2011, 05:01 PM.
                  "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

Was there one nearby to go into?

When the 2nd wave launched from the command ship, we saw a lot less stick around us as we powered up.. heck i only remember seeing 1 get caught/blown up. So i think they can learn.

A) with what.
                    B) what would they make ammo from
                    C) would a CWIS even work in space
                    D) How would they weld it? With what would they control it?

Comment

I'm sure the drones are smart enough to register the danger on their sensors and avoid it, after all they manage to survive and function years after their creators were extinct.

Comment

You're frustrated that Eli, a computer gamer however smart didn't make a makeshift CWIZ ???
                        I can't tell if you're joking or not.

As for your point about using a Sun to kill the Drones. I agree that it is a valid tactic if they were to be attacked while in close enough range to a Sun.
                        But as for using the gate near a Sun in order to lure Drones into a trap, I think that would be a tactical mistake. A better decision would be to try and avoid the Drones, not to draw them to you no matter how sure you are of your plan.

Comment

As for your point about using a Sun to kill the Drones. I agree that it is a valid tactic if they were to be attacked while in close enough range to a Sun.
                          But as for using the gate near a Sun in order to lure Drones into a trap, I think that would be a tactical mistake. A better decision would be to try and avoid the Drones, not to draw them to you no matter how sure you are of your plan.
                          You saw how well drawing all the replicators to Halla worked right?

I think that might be the reason why it would never even be considered as a battle strategy.

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
                            You're frustrated that Eli, a computer gamer however smart didn't make a makeshift CWIZ ???
                            I can't tell if you're joking or not.

My idea would be to mount a couple of the assault rifles to a remote controlled turret.

Comment

My idea would be to mount a couple of the assault rifles to a remote controlled turret.
                              You do realize that they have a very limited supply of both guns and ammunition? There's also the issue of how would you reload the gun during a battle if it's mounted on the outside of a spaceship?

Comment

Working...
                              X