The Politics of the Novus Settlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Politics of the Novus Settlement

Okay, with the video clip we are treated to it is established that some decades after the survivors of Destiny arrive on Novus Young is still the "Leader" of the group. I'm curious to see if they set up some democratic system for selecting leaders or if he maintained his control based upon his commission and his original appointment as the commander of the Icarus Base.

What does everyone think. Once they were perminantly stranded on Novus with no hope of return to Earth or communication with Earth is it time to form a more normal government for those who are living there?
    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
    Okay, with the video clip we are treated to it is established that some decades after the survivors of Destiny arrive on Novus Young is still the "Leader" of the group. I'm curious to see if they set up some democratic system for selecting leaders or if he maintained his control based upon his commission and his original appointment as the commander of the Icarus Base.

What does everyone think. Once they were perminantly stranded on Novus with no hope of return to Earth or communication with Earth is it time to form a more normal government for those who are living there?
    Young seemed pretty old in that recording, so they probably thought of his replacement near his death. It maybe that they appointed Youngs Kid as his Followup. That would explain why the scientists did not accept it and build their own Goverment where People get selected by choice, not by heritance.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
      Young seemed pretty old in that recording, so they probably thought of his replacement near his death. It maybe that they appointed Youngs Kid as his Followup. That would explain why the scientists did not accept it and build their own Goverment where People get selected by choice, not by heritance.
      I doubt they would have put Young's children in power. that is not how the military works nor is it how the US works so I doubt anyone would have gone for that unless he was proven to be a very good leader somehow.

I personally believe they may have established some kind of high council type scenario. things will be elected on and though Young may be the head of it, most things will be put down to a vote of sorts between those that already seem to have a say in the current Dynamic. Wray, Eli, Chloe, Matt, TJ, Greer, Voulker, Brody and who ever else. Maybe not so many, but you get my meaning. A high council of sorts.

Comment

Originally posted by traylormatt View Post
        I doubt they would have put Young's children in power. that is not how the military works nor is it how the US works so I doubt anyone would have gone for that unless he was proven to be a very good leader somehow.

I personally believe they may have established some kind of high council type scenario. things will be elected on and though Young may be the head of it, most things will be put down to a vote of sorts between those that already seem to have a say in the current Dynamic. Wray, Eli, Chloe, Matt, TJ, Greer, Voulker, Brody and who ever else. Maybe not so many, but you get my meaning. A high council of sorts.
        Then why where there 2 Goverments if they all worked together?
        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
        There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Do you really need a government with 80 people?

Comment

Originally posted by spaceship View Post
            Do you really need a government with 80 people?
            Yes.

And the caption said it was the 14th election he was speaking at, didn't it? That would imply they had a functioning democracy in which a majority continually elected Young as their leader.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
              Yes.

And the caption said it was the 14th election he was speaking at, didn't it? That would imply they had a functioning democracy in which a majority continually elected Young as their leader.
              Caption? I missed something. Time to watch it again...

Comment

There was a caption? I dont remember a caption.

I think it would be a meritocracy; appointed because of merit, not by birth, power or your old military rank. The best leader simply gets the job.

Comment

He was the best man for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                    He was the best man for the job.
                    It took him about a season, but yeah, he was most likely the best man for the job and just continued to be their leader after leaving destiny where he was appointed leader ( by the military ).

Comment

Then why where there 2 Goverments if they all worked together?
                      Because maybe a massive divide became apparent. not just "I think we should dedicate more time to building new houses" "well I think we should dedicate more time to improving our power sources" or what ever.

they may have been arguing over something more to do with core values. There could be any number of reasons.

and I think you do need a government of sorts with 80 people or a few hundred, but I can not imagine it being any kind of government like we have today. Something much simpler where every person truly does have a voice but there are those that simply run the situations they get given.

For instance, they probably wont be needing a chancellor of the exchequer any time soon or any government officials to deal with pensions. But they may still just nead leaders so they all work towards a common goal, and it may have been those goals that people eventually divided on.

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
                        Caption? I missed something. Time to watch it again...
                        Watch the episode with subtitles on.
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I doubt the division was science vs. everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                            Watch the episode with subtitles on.
                            it isn't in the actual show, just in the subtitles? Either the subtitle guy made it up or something or he was told to add it.

Comment

Speaking of Brody;

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis...um=148&pos=227

I knew i'd heard that voice before

N.C

Comment

Working...
                              X