PDA

View Full Version : So what was up with the purple fruit?

BadOnion
April 20th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Any theories?

MathiasE
April 20th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Considering the women were kinda giggly about it I'd guess it was more about the shape of the fruit rather than the taste of it.. But that might just be my dirty mind playing tricks..

D Toccs
April 20th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Taking all bets on how long this thread will last ;)

ZoSo
April 20th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Maybe they're the oysters of the current galaxy.

k1037
April 20th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Probably just birth control (which Wray wouldn't mind, either, as many have the side effect of reducing the occurrence/severity of periods or stopping them altogether).

thekillman
April 20th, 2011, 11:47 PM
they probably pulled a prank with it

Bagpuss
April 21st, 2011, 12:11 AM
This is the third attempt at a topic based round the Fruit and it's possible uses.

Keep it clean this time and the topic can stay.:)

ZoSo
April 21st, 2011, 01:22 AM
lol so much for keeping it clean.

Bagpuss
April 21st, 2011, 01:25 AM
Yup.Try harder ,folks.No more smut or it won't just be the thread that takes a time out.

D Toccs
April 21st, 2011, 01:34 AM
Making an educated guess, I would have to say they are probably used for :

*^#* @^$**^ with **@$#% and then ^*%^$
or : *#&**^ with a little water, then *#@#$*% the *#*&[email protected] until @***#$*^.

It's the only logical explanation. :)

knowles2
April 21st, 2011, 02:35 AM
Making an educated guess, I would have to say they are probably used for :

*^#* @^$**^ with **@$#% and then ^*%^$
or : *#&**^ with a little water, then *#@#$*% the *#*&[email protected] until @***#$*^.

It's the only logical explanation. :) Yes that is completely logical.

SupremeLegate
April 21st, 2011, 04:11 AM
Well the innuendo was not exactly suttle, so I think anyone should be able to figure out to what they were referring. In fact, I think Eli should have been able to figure it out.

Considering the women were kinda giggly about it I'd guess it was more about the shape of the fruit rather than the taste of it.. But that might just be my dirty mind playing tricks..

Yours isn't the only one.

And I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention this. lol

Shadow_7
April 21st, 2011, 04:27 AM
Is there a visual reference to said fruit? (of the fruit itself?)

My guess was that it had something to do with feminine hygiene, not anything to do with the eating factor. Or a reference to that time that Brody got smurfed. Was that only a Kino webisode? Kino 24. Or not, that was the purple potato, which isn't a fruit.

General Jumper One
April 21st, 2011, 05:37 AM
This?
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season1/108-Time/screencaps/normal_sgu_108_0052.jpg

SaberBlade
April 21st, 2011, 05:41 AM
As I live in a house full of women and coming from a family dominated by women, my manly "oh god, I don't need to know that" sense kicked in and I thought they were aiming towards them being good for monthly women problems.

Airlock
April 21st, 2011, 08:13 AM
Chloe seemed to be a big fan of purple fruit's effects. Wray concurred.

they may have tasted "awful" BUT.....

all i can say is the way it was presented on screen was that the purple fruit's redeeming quality was a unique chemistry with females that was able to provide a feminine sensation - most likely erotic in nature.

...down there.

... or perhaps all around :)

Shylodog
April 21st, 2011, 08:26 AM
Here is what I figured: The writers wrote this segment to garner the response it has. For most men it would seem sexual in nature, but for all we know it was just some really awesomely scented hair conditioner. It was a bit of creative writing that let the fan's imagination run wild while having a little fun at the expense of Eli.

traylormatt
April 21st, 2011, 08:34 AM
My bet would have to be either the writers just added it as a little thing to put in to get people talking. OR it is something sexual as both Wray and Chloe don't seem to be saying in a relieved way that it will stop menstrual cramps or anything but rather in a genuinely excited way. But hey, as long as they enjoy em.

sholva1
April 21st, 2011, 09:51 AM
probably sexual

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
April 21st, 2011, 09:58 AM
Something to do with sex I think.

garhkal
April 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM
Why just sex.. Some food as more of an effect on women (emotional etc) than men.

Duneknight
April 21st, 2011, 04:48 PM
seriously guys this one is obvious. Something concerning women's sexual something.

BadOnion
April 21st, 2011, 05:47 PM
Well, I'm honored to be the only person here who could keep his purple fruit up.

Nth Chevron
April 21st, 2011, 05:52 PM
It could have held a compound that affected womens physiology for heightened sense of sexual awareness.

N.C

Cold Fuzz
April 22nd, 2011, 12:13 AM
Is there a visual reference to said fruit? (of the fruit itself?)

My guess was that it had something to do with feminine hygiene, not anything to do with the eating factor. Or a reference to that time that Brody got smurfed. Was that only a Kino webisode? Kino 24. Or not, that was the purple potato, which isn't a fruit.

I was actually thinking that it was a reference to the previous Kinosode. In one of the early ones, the purple fruit/vegetable/whatever could be used as a dye in a practical joke on Brody.

morbosfist
April 22nd, 2011, 12:40 AM
Then Elii would have gotten it.

SupremeLegate
April 24th, 2011, 07:22 PM
From Josephmallozzi's Weblog
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/

E writes: “Could you tell us what was the purple fruit about? There’s been two threads about it on GW, they’ve both been pulled because the discussion got very guttery and the third thread is barely surviving.”

Answer: That damn purple fruit. What the hell WAS it good for? We asked Rob this question (he wrote the script for Common Descent) and he simply shrugged and claimed he didn’t know. There was considerable speculation in the writers’ room, none of which can be repeated on this blog.

Egle01
April 25th, 2011, 02:19 AM
*high fives JM for answering*

Wayston
April 25th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Ok so there's the answer, there is no answer :). If I had to venture a guess... since Chloe is in a stable relationship and Wray is not, it's probably something reasonably harmless, feminine hygiene seems like a good bet.

SupremeLegate
April 25th, 2011, 02:56 PM
There is also the possibility that it was simply a joke, due to the shape of the fruit.

General Jumper One
April 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM
There is also the possibility that it was simply a joke, due to the shape of the fruit.

Have we even seen the fruit before?

Nth Chevron
April 25th, 2011, 05:05 PM
We arent 100% sure, there is a purple fruit on the test sheet during "Time"

but we dont know if its the same or not.

N.C

Master_Fnog
January 24th, 2014, 12:44 AM
I think there's something everyone has been overlooking;

Eli is a square

Camille is a free-spirited hippie (just look at that painting)

Chloe is rich and went to Harvard

A ship full of nerds with nothing but time (they even have a still for moonshine!)

Based on those character traits, someone might conclude that perhaps the purple fruit, if prepared and then consumed a certain way, it may have certain narcotic properties. Since Camille is HR it would stand to reason that the effects would probably need to be more or less non-addictive and relatively harmless.

But I think this discussion is focusing so much on the fact it was two women joking about it while a man is oblivious, instead of thinking about Eli being a square and would probably object to the use of any narcotics (no matter how harmless) on board the Destiny. Think about this, in both seasons, I think all the main characters (and some recurring characters) have had a swig from the alcohol still, except Eli, it might be plausible to think he would be out of the loop if this were the case as well.

With all parties being civilians, it's a little harder to come to a conclusive argument. If, say, for instance, it were Lt. James in Eli's place and she didn't get the joke, you can draw the narcotic joke over the feminine joke, as it's plausible that, because she is military, she would also be out of the loop if it had narcotic properties.

On the flip side, if it were, say, Camille and Lt. James making the joke, and Eli not getting it, then it's more likely it's a "ladies-only" joke.

It would've been easier to figure the implied use if those two weren't so laid back...dirty Harvard hippies.