The New Ancients?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New Ancients?

Assuming the people on Novus are still alive, but what if the humans on Earth become the "Ancients" for the humans on Novus. A circle if you will, as humans seed this new galaxy and have some left over writings of how this ancient civilization thrived on a planet called Earth.

I wouldn't call them the Ancients.
    sigpic
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Not right away, but assuming the Novuns live long enough, and hundreds of thousands of years later.

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
      I wouldn't call them the Ancients.

Comment

Yeah, I made this point in another thread. It seems interesting how it has happened. A lot of similarities. Obviously they are not seen as technologically amazing as we see the ancients, but obviously the originators of their world and bringing them to that part of space.

Comment

I doubt the Novus would hold Earth in any series regard, given their distance from Earth and the large amount of time since their foundation 2,000 years ago.

It's also going to be hard for them to seed the galaxy, because Destiny's first generation Stargate is basically short range so there is a 300 light year (give or take) range between planets which can be dialled, they'd be limited to the two planets (Novus and the colony) so they couldn't seed the rest of the galaxy without a proper DHD like the Milky Way or Pegasus gates.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
            I doubt the Novus would hold Earth in any series regard, given their distance from Earth and the large amount of time since their foundation 2,000 years ago.

It's also going to be hard for them to seed the galaxy, because Destiny's first generation Stargate is basically short range so there is a 300 light year (give or take) range between planets which can be dialled, they'd be limited to the two planets (Novus and the colony) so they couldn't seed the rest of the galaxy without a proper DHD like the Milky Way or Pegasus gates.
            They could connect to other gates than Novus and the new planet. The young man said "our people were sent here as an expedition. one of several sent to find other viable worlds." So that implies that they were able to reach more worlds than just that one.

Comment

They are only separated by 2000 years.. thats not nearly enough in terms of physical evolution.. though Id love to see the story explored further through SGU about these humans.
              I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by traylormatt View Post
                They could connect to other gates than Novus and the new planet. The young man said "our people were sent here as an expedition. one of several sent to find other viable worlds." So that implies that they were able to reach more worlds than just that one.
                From Destiny's location, it could only dial Novus (which was offline) and the colony. It's always possible that from Novus, several other gates could have been in range. Since the colony was stuck there, it's reasonable to believe that no other planets than Novus were in range from the colony. Eli or one of the other scientists would have needed to bring a database of gate address, which when used with a proper power supply/DIY DHD could allow long range dials across the galaxy. If not, they were stuck using the scanners which detect gates in range and would have eventually range out of planets to visit. They'd basically be skipping from planet to planet but eventually they'd run out.

sigpic

Comment

From Destiny's location, it could only dial Novus (which was offline) and the colony. It's always possible that from Novus, several other gates could have been in range. Since the colony was stuck there, it's reasonable to believe that no other planets than Novus were in range from the colony. Eli or one of the other scientists would have needed to bring a database of gate address, which when used with a proper power supply/DIY DHD could allow long range dials across the galaxy. If not, they were stuck using the scanners which detect gates in range and would have eventually range out of planets to visit. They'd basically be skipping from planet to planet but eventually they'd run out.
                  Yeah, definitely. from the colony it is safe to assume only Novus was ever in range. But from Novus more than just the colony was definitely accessible to the people of Novus.

Comment

Originally posted by traylormatt View Post
                    Yeah, definitely. from the colony it is safe to assume only Novus was ever in range. But from Novus more than just the colony was definitely accessible to the people of Novus.
                    I couldn't really understand that actually, Destiny seemed to have a fairly long journey considering the gates range is supposed to be very short, like previously we saw that one jump in FTL will put them out of range...
                    I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

what bugs me is even with 2000 years of advancement they are not as advanced. they don't seem to have space capabilities, although the civ was founded by people including some physicists ....... and their exploration base doesn't look as promising after 30 year as it looked after 10 years of landing of eli's team in novus.

well it just might be how the writers wanted it, but still .... it bugged me.

however it's still an awesome ep, and another reason why we don't want SGU to end.

Comment

Originally posted by Alien encounter View Post
                        what bugs me is even with 2000 years of advancement they are not as advanced. they don't seem to have space capabilities, although the civ was founded by people including some physicists ....... and their exploration base doesn't look as promising after 30 year as it looked after 10 years of landing of eli's team in novus.

well it just might be how the writers wanted it, but still .... it bugged me.

however it's still an awesome ep, and another reason why we don't want SGU to end.
                        Where can they go with space travel? They'd also not need it, because of the Stargate. I'm also starting to think that perhaps they are the ones responsible for the drones (two factions, no longer around, could be a coincidence though) so they may have space and hyperdrive technology.

sigpic

Comment

Where can they go with space travel? They'd also not need it, because of the Stargate. I'm also starting to think that perhaps they are the ones responsible for the drones (two factions, no longer around, could be a coincidence though) so they may have space and hyperdrive technology.
                          interesting point there ..... but if they were behind the drones with hyper-drives, they would probably be aware of their destination loc and would not remain only on gate itself - just like SG-1.

but 2000 years is supposed to be a huge time for development & no one needs a valid reason for space travel thanks to human's eternal exploration desires . however, its difficult to think of an advance civ without satellites.

may be these points will be answered in next episodes, or may be they were sacrificed for the sake an interesting story.

Comment

Why would they make the drones if they knew quite a bit from the founders that the drones would destroy their makers and stuff

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                              Why would they make the drones if they knew quite a bit from the founders that the drones would destroy their makers and stuff
                              Yeah this is what I can't figure out. Everyone seems to keep saying this idea of them building the drones. They seemed to have no idea what those things were during the episode and why would they build them if they know they would destroy them in the future. But hey ho.

I wonder if it was ever to be exaplined how the drones came to use to gates. Does that mean the Ursini were using the gates a lot or had a small empire and they used the gate signal to work out where they all were. who knows.

Comment

Working...
                              X