PDA

View Full Version : So now even less great travel.

Ziel
April 20th, 2011, 10:35 AM
As much of an improvement as the second season of SGU has been in so many aspects, alien encounters, control of bridge, AI, character interactions and time-travel, the biggest thing that continues to bother both myself and many others, is the lack of Gate travel.
For the 3 episodes immediately before ''Twin Destinies'' and the 3 episodes immediately after ''Twin Destinies'', excluding MW stuff in ''Seizure'', there was no usage of the Stargate. And even in ''Twin Destinies'' the only Stargates shown or mentioned are the pair of Destiny Gates and the Earth Gate.
With the news from ''Common Descant'' that the Drones have been tracking Destiny via Gate activity and thus further limiting Gate usage, this is just what I didn't want.
Discuss please.

KEK
April 20th, 2011, 10:51 AM
That is unfortunate for you.

/thread

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 20th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Is "great travel" a pun or a typo?

carmencatalina
April 20th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Given that there are only 3 episodes left, I hardly think this is going to be a major issue. Maybe if there had been a 3rd season.

LtColCarter
April 20th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'm sorry that its "what you didn't what." However, as another poster stated...I don't foresee this as being much of an issue with the show coming to an end.

J-Whitt Remastered
April 20th, 2011, 12:10 PM
As much of an improvement as the second season of SGU has been in so many aspects, alien encounters, control of bridge, AI, character interactions and time-travel, the biggest thing that continues to bother both myself and many others, is the lack of Gate travel.
For the 3 episodes immediately before ''Twin Destinies'' and the 3 episodes immediately after ''Twin Destinies'', excluding MW stuff in ''Seizure'', there was no usage of the Stargate. And even in ''Twin Destinies'' the only Stargates shown or mentioned are the pair of Destiny Gates and the Earth Gate.
With the news from ''Common Descant'' that the Drones have been tracking Destiny via Gate activity and thus further limiting Gate usage, this is just what I didn't what.
Discuss please.

It's like complaining that every show about the military doesn't show daily PT and raising and lowering the flag during Taps and Reveille. We know it happens so why so it? I'll never understand the need to complain about the lack of seeing a Gate.

Gollumpus
April 20th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I view the use of the gate in SGU as I did the use of the transporter systems in ST:V, it's part of the furniture of the show, but it's not the show. The people, and their stories are the reason for SGU. The occasional run through the gate is nice, but whether the action takes place on a planet or on board Destiny, it's the people that make the show go.

regards,
G.

blueray
April 20th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I view the use of the gate in SGU as I did the use of the transporter systems in ST:V, it's part of the furniture of the show, but it's not the show. The people, and their stories are the reason for SGU. The occasional run through the gate is nice, but whether the action takes place on a planet or on board Destiny, it's the people that make the show go.

regards,
G.

^this

as much as i was happy to see the gate, i think that was a great explanation of how they were followed. and since there is only 3 episodes left i doubt rather they use the gate or not is going to matter.

The Destiny
April 20th, 2011, 01:15 PM
In many SGA episodes the gate didn't serve that big of a purpose either apart from a means to travel to another planet. It could easily have been replaced with the daedalus beaming them down. The point is they go to another planet, wether it is through the gate, down with a shuttle, or beamed down by a ship. Same result. ;)

Ziel
April 20th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Is "great travel" a pun or a typo?
Originally a typo but I'm going to go ahead and say it's a pun now haha.

Given that there are only 3 episodes left, I hardly think this is going to be a major issue. Maybe if there had been a 3rd season.
Maybe not but I'd hate to think of the idea that they won't use it as freely as they'd should/could for the remaining episodes. And anyway even outside of that, this plot device was wrote when they thought that there would be a 3rd season.

I'm sorry that its "what you didn't what." However, as another poster stated...I don't foresee this as being much of an issue with the show coming to an end.
Typo has now been corrected. At least this issue didn't arise earlier in the season.

regards,
G.
My preference for the gate is that it's an instant scenery change, it's just a little something I like to see in all the shows that this franchise has offered us.
Not a major complaint, just a little annoyance that I wanted to express.

thekillman
April 20th, 2011, 01:20 PM
yes s5 of SGA showed us the gate often.

Nth Chevron
April 20th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I wonder if anything is gonna be good enough for some of you ...

N.C

J-Whitt Remastered
April 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM

N.C

When they get to write the shows themselves they'll be happy. Until they realize other people don't like what they're writing that is.

erotavlas
April 20th, 2011, 04:30 PM

regards,
G.
this x2

(minus the phrase 'furniture of the show' - just reminds me of set furniture like props or chairs)

Ziel
April 20th, 2011, 06:03 PM
You can please all of the people some of the time,
Or some of the people all of the time.

Or vice-versa.

garhkal
April 20th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Yup. Personally i am happy with the level of gate usage so far in S2.

LtColCarter
April 21st, 2011, 11:34 AM

N.C

I know where you're coming from! You can't please all of the people all of the time, and it seems in Gate World...you can't even please some of the people some of the time. ;)

tomstone
April 22nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
The Drones are not that much of trouble. First they can use the Shuttle, secound the big problem is that they cant Jump again that fast. So why not wait a bit, till Destiny is near FTL capability again and then Dail the Gate. They should have enough time before Drones arrive and can still gather what they need.

Shylodog
April 22nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
I'm just wondering - and maybe it's been discussed in previous threads I havent' read yet - why doesn't Destiny play cat-and mouse repeatedly with the drones by leading them into a sun? Given the footage we've seen, the drones don't seem to wisen up that they are being lead to their destruction in a sun's corona. Also, why not head toward the command ship, and then at the right distance jump to FTL and allow the command ship to be disintegrated in the process (as was explained about how the shuttle would be disintegrated if it wasn't docked and within Destiny's shield, as well as what happened to the drones in this episode) - unless the mass of the command ship is so great that it would have adverse results?

tomstone
April 22nd, 2011, 11:12 AM
I'm just wondering - and maybe it's been discussed in previous threads I havent' read yet - why doesn't Destiny play cat-and mouse repeatedly with the drones by leading them into a sun? Given the footage we've seen, the drones don't seem to wisen up that they are being lead to their destruction in a sun's corona. Also, why not head toward the command ship, and then at the right distance jump to FTL and allow the command ship to be disintegrated in the process (as was explained about how the shuttle would be disintegrated if it wasn't docked and within Destiny's shield, as well as what happened to the drones in this episode) - unless the mass of the command ship is so great that it would have adverse results?

They dont need to hit it directly, striving it while jumping should cause enough Damage without risking that we get polverized along with the other Ship.

Ziel
April 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
The Drones are not that much of trouble. First they can use the Shuttle, secound the big problem is that they cant Jump again that fast. So why not wait a bit, till Destiny is near FTL capability again and then Dail the Gate. They should have enough time before Drones arrive and can still gather what they need.

I love this idea. They get to use the Gate anytime after 3 hours of dropping out of FTL and before they jump back into FTL.

Shylodog
April 22nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
They dont need to hit it directly, striving it while jumping should cause enough Damage without risking that we get polverized along with the other Ship.

They could call it, "The Bull-Rush Maneuver". ;)

tomstone
April 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
I love this idea. They get to use the Gate anytime after 3 hours of dropping out of FTL and before they jump back into FTL.

I cant help but think thats sarcasm.(sorry if I am wrong) It does not seem much, but if they send People there with the Shuttle to gather supplies and later Dail the Gate to get the supplies to Destiny they should have enough time to get away before the Drones even arrive.

In this Episode they made at least 2 Gate travels before the Drones arrived, so it should be possible.

garhkal
April 22nd, 2011, 11:57 PM

True they can wait, but iirc once the destiny jumps out doesn't it auto dial?

tomstone
April 23rd, 2011, 01:23 AM
True they can wait, but iirc once the destiny jumps out doesn't it auto dial?

Nope, that was only in the beginning. Since they have access to the Bridge there is no need for Destiny to do that stuff anymore.

thekillman
April 23rd, 2011, 03:46 AM

well given the energies we're talking about, the result would be FAR from pretty.

though i must say, why the hell didn't Destiny turn around when it was chased by the Command ship, and blast it to hell with the main cannon?

Nth Chevron
April 23rd, 2011, 07:53 AM
Because we would be flying into a wall of drones which one one pass could knock out weapons or propulsion, leaving us ROYALLY screwed.

N.C

Ziel
April 23rd, 2011, 09:45 AM
I cant help but think thats sarcasm.(sorry if I am wrong) It does not seem much, but if they send People there with the Shuttle to gather supplies and later Dail the Gate to get the supplies to Destiny they should have enough time to get away before the Drones even arrive.

In this Episode they made at least 2 Gate travels before the Drones arrived, so it should be possible.

Sorry, it wasn't supposed to sound sarcastic. I really do like that idea.

tomstone
April 23rd, 2011, 05:10 PM
Sorry, it wasn't supposed to sound sarcastic. I really do like that idea.

No, I am sorry. It just seems weird to me that I can actually write something intelligent for a change. ;P

garhkal
April 23rd, 2011, 05:36 PM
Because we would be flying into a wall of drones which one one pass could knock out weapons or propulsion, leaving us ROYALLY screwed.

N.C

True.. Though no command ship, no worry from drones.

Ziel
April 24th, 2011, 08:53 AM
No, I am sorry. It just seems weird to me that I can actually write something intelligent for a change. ;P

That's a bit harsh, isn't it?

tomstone
April 24th, 2011, 09:35 AM
That's a bit harsh, isn't it?

I take it from another viewpoint. If I dont expect myself to write something intelligent, I wont be dissapointed if BS comes out in the end. Also it makes the Joy even bigger when People actually agree with you.

Shadow_7
April 24th, 2011, 09:57 AM
We don't know much about the command ships though. They could be capable of manufacturing drones quicker than Destiny could ever hope to destroy them. They had five allied ships last time they beat a command ship. If you could call them that. Seed ship plus Destiny, and 3x Blues. 2x Blues didn't make it to round two. And the Seed ship perished in round two. Of course why the drones didn't show up in Twin Destiny's? Dialing from inside a star to earth should have been a pretty major sub space event.

Gate travel skippage would have sucked had there been another season. And they'll likely still use them to draw them away from their descendants. If there's enough remaining content. But I agree to some extent. It's the lack of scenery on Destiny that otherwise made the show a hard watch for some folks. You can only do so many scenes in the mess and on the bridge. And with everyone still wearing the same clothes as season 1... Can you say old hat. Year old underroos, that's gotta be a plus when working the ladies... Let's go back to my place, the bed sheets are a million plus years old, but I've got a window...

Shadow_7
April 24th, 2011, 09:58 AM
We don't know much about the command ships though. They could be capable of manufacturing drones quicker than Destiny could ever hope to destroy them. They had five allied ships last time they beat a command ship. If you could call them that. Seed ship plus Destiny, and 3x Blues. 2x Blues didn't make it to round two. And the Seed ship perished in round two. Of course why the drones didn't show up in Twin Destiny's? Dialing from inside a star to earth should have been a pretty major sub space event.

Gate travel skippage would have sucked had there been another season. And they'll likely still use them to draw them away from their descendants. If there's enough remaining content. But I agree to some extent. It's the lack of scenery on Destiny that otherwise made the show a hard watch for some folks. You can only do so many scenes in the mess and on the bridge. And with everyone still wearing the same clothes as season 1... Can you say old hat. Year old underroos, that's gotta be a plus when working the ladies... Let's go back to my place, the bed sheets are a million plus years old, but I've got a window...

Ziel
April 24th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I take it from another viewpoint. If I dont expect myself to write something intelligent, I wont be dissapointed if BS comes out in the end. Also it makes the Joy even bigger when People actually agree with you.

As a great man once said; ''Aim low and avoid disappointment''

garhkal
April 24th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Of course why the drones didn't show up in Twin Destiny's? Dialing from inside a star to earth should have been a pretty major sub space event.

Perhaps their sensors got baffled by the sun's fields..

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
April 24th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I still enjoyed the episodes that didn't involve the gate, so no complaints from me.

tinerin
April 24th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Of course why the drones didn't show up in Twin Destiny's? Dialing from inside a star to earth should have been a pretty major sub space event.

Maybe Destiny's gate is shielded somehow? So the drones are really detecting the gate that Destiny is dialing and then tracing it back to the ship.

tomstone
April 24th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Maybe Destiny's gate is shielded somehow? So the drones are really detecting the gate that Destiny is dialing and then tracing it back to the ship.

I think the Sun masked the Stargate Event a little bit.

Keeper
April 24th, 2011, 05:59 PM
personally, i have to agree with the OP - the lack of the gate is... disappointing.

other sci-fi shows stick to the title - B5 takes place on B5, red dwarf on a ship called red dwarf....

star wars is about... surprise surprise, a war in the stars.

star trek, journeying through the stars. even on DS9, the station was where a lot happened, but the journey was brought to it in the form of visiting aliens, and when thy got the defiant up and running they could head out for a spin whenever they wanted.

in stargate: sg1 was about the team (and seasons 9+10, iirc, were supposed to be SGC - but syfy wanted 200 epis in one show, and blocked the name change.)
atlantis took place on atlantis.

universe takes place in the universe, sure, but thats a pretty broad concept. and the stargate isn't a major part of the plot - it's a sideline, when they remember to dust it off every few weeks. we rarely see the gateroom, and we almost never get shots of the gate - even in the background. atlantis - even where they weren't actively using the gate - established that it hadn't hopped off one of the piers, by flashing past it.

it's hard to call the show 'stargate' when the iconic gate isn't visible. when the entire command crew seem happy to congregate in the applecore, the bridge, or the mess hall, and only pop into the gateroom on their way between scenes (off-camera) to make sure it's not hopped out an airlock, the show loses the 'stargate' title, and retains 'universe' - a rather vauge concept, with lots of space we don't seem capable of getting at.

of course, it's only one issue - but it IS an issue which could easily have put many people off the show, leading to the cancellation.

i do agree that with only 3 episodes left, it's not a big deal anymore. it's just a shame that the titular character was shoved into storage often enough to contribute toward us having only 3 epis left.

Nth Chevron
April 25th, 2011, 12:08 PM
In this show its more about the characters for season 1 and 2, the story would probably have revolved more around the gate more in season 3, season 4 and 5 would have been majority, wise about the ship.

We really cant bash it when the whole story isnt even finished !

N.C

LtColCarter
April 25th, 2011, 03:20 PM
In this show its more about the characters for season 1 and 2, the story would probably have revolved more around the gate more in season 3, season 4 and 5 would have been majority, wise about the ship.

We really cant bash it when the whole story isnt even finished !

N.C

I agree...it took a lot to get me to watch the 2nd half of the 1st season...but I'm glad I did...and I enjoyed season 2.

garhkal
April 25th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Makes me wonder how many eps for S3 were slated to use the gate.

tinerin
April 25th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Makes me wonder how many eps for S3 were slated to use the gate.

Based on the previews for the last three episodes, I'm pretty sure this issue would have to have been resolved within the first one or two episodes of season three.

Aewon
April 26th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Maybe not but I'd hate to think of the idea that they won't use it as freely as they'd should/could for the remaining episodes. And anyway even outside of that, this plot device was wrote when they thought that there would be a 3rd season.

New season = New galaxy.

I don't see any potential problems.

Mr. Jack
April 26th, 2011, 08:02 AM
While I understand some people like having the gate in the show since the whole discovery of new worlds aspect is what drew them to it in the first place, wouldn't it get a little old if this was the only formula time and time again?

Keeper
April 26th, 2011, 08:42 AM
While I understand some people like having the gate in the show since the whole discovery of new worlds aspect is what drew them to it in the first place, wouldn't it get a little old if this was the only formula time and time again?

star trek mostly flew around in ships.

andromeda... mostly based from the ship andromeda (season 5 based from planets in a star system for the most part, but while trying to repair the ship)

babylon 5... centres around the station.

leaving scifi - law and order... police units.

the simpsons.... huh, who'da guesssed?

friends

cheers

umpteen reality shows

there's many ways to change the formula while retaining the show. star trek proved that when they were able to retain the spirit of the franchise while going onto a space station - and i vaguely remember around that time that people thought the show couldn't work - because it was on a station, rather than a ship.

they retained a sense of journey, of exploration, travelling through the stars even while sitting at the edge of federation space - essentially retaining the right to call itself star trek. even enterprise (and i didn't have a clue what was happening in that, though i wasn't able to sit down to it regularly) retained enough trek to fall within the franchise.

universe, for me, feels... well, like it's capitalising on a franchise that it doesn't want much to do with, but that was easier to use as a starting point than trying to break into the market by itself. my problems with the show are greater than just the lack of the stargate, but for me, the universe is a bit too broad a concept for it to work as the titular tie-in with what's going on in the show. stargate: destiny would have been better, because the title would have tied to the ship. instead, the title ties closer to the stargate, which causes disassociation when the stargate doesn't even get shown in some episodes, let alone used.

as i say, i've more problems than just the lack of gate usage. it's an extra problem that has helped reduce the show's quality as a whole, in my personal view.

for the folks saying we can't bash lack of a gate, when the story isn't finished - and that it may have been used more next season? 2 problems:
1. speculation - for all we know, the gate might have been blown up in season 3. the story so far has set the gate back a bit too often to be sure.

2. characters can be developed without getting rid of the gate. in fact, i've not really seen much development of some characters - chloe had to be smurfed to become useful, for example. young dipped into and jumped out of alcoholism so fast that it didn't seem to do anything for him. scott and chloe's relationship was hardly developed - it went from 'hi, whats your name' to 'can i have your babies' so fast that it felt forced. young and tj's relationship is so underdeveloped that it seems hard to understand how she got pregnant. rush and eli seem to have some of the strongest development, with greer and wray getting some attention - but brody, volker, park et all are still relatively unknown.

contrast: SG1. by the end of the first season, it was clear that jack and sam had feelings for each other, and a general feeling of actually 'knowing' major players (all of sg1, hammond, even major whats-his-name - samuels? - who worked from the pentagon)

atlantis - again, a better feeling of knowing all the major folks from a single season.

neither show sacrificed gate travel, exploration, or meeting new folks - while universe feels like it's trying to develop cardboard cut-outs while trying to drop the franchise. yet there's a great deal of potential - it just seems wasted in gimmicks like 'lets panic while we fly into a star.'

for me, many problems, the gate being only one of them - and the rather dubious character development being another - the only thing that would have gotten me to watch season 3 was an incredible cliffhanger. in fact, season 1's first half nearly made me stop watching anyway, the second half picked up enough for me to watch season 2. but the show shouldn't yoyo so much, and if the gate isn't a major prop now, it probably isn't a major prop in the future.

Mr. Jack
April 26th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Well I respect your opinion on the matter, to me as long as a show is entertaining I don't really mind what it's called or what they do. In my eyes, the Stargate was always a tool to get characters from point A to point B for the sake of exploration, combat, or something else. Sort of like the hyperdrive in Star Wars.

In fact, two of the best episodes of Stargate SG-1 barely used the Stargate: Jolinar's Memories and the other one after it that I don't feel like looking up. Enemies didn't use the Stargate at all and didn't even feature any exploration. Be All Thy Sins Remember'd featured no exploration nor any Stargate.

While universe didn't seem very Stargate like to me at first. I think it's retained its sense of identity while trying something completely new. I guess it really comes down to what aspects of Stargate appeal to you. To me it was always:

1. Modern day humanity interacting with alien cultures. We don't really have that much in SGU, though lately it's gotten better.
2. A keen sense of optimism for humanity in general. After the latest episodes I think SGU really pulled this off brilliantly. They brought forth the cynical man's best arguments and completely shattered them with the latest episode. "It must break your heart to know we got along just fine without you, Dr. Rush."
3. Humor. SGU uses a different, more subtle sense of humor but I think it still has it.
4. Likable characters. At first I didn't really like the characters all that much, but as the show progressed I think many of them have shown their truly heroic sides. These are realistic characters who aren't flawless and always up to following their ideals. They are very, very complex and emotional beings. Yet in the end, they still reveal that they are good at heart. I guess this ties into the whole optimism thing.
5. Lots of problems and clever ways to solve them. Again, SGU was kind of lacking on this somewhat. In a typical SG-1 episode you had plenty of problems pop up and plenty of clever ways of solving them. In SGU there's usually one big problem and then some convenient solution at the end of the episode. Lately it's gotten better though.

Now for the stuff that's completely new about SGU that I love:
1. ****ing realism. We've got realistic physics in space, aliens that don't speak English, and planets that don't all look like Canadian forests. We have realistic, emotional characters who can't solve every problem right off the bat.
2. A true sense of exploration. I'm loving the edge of the universe thing. Quite frankly I was getting tired of every single thing in the Milky Way or Pegasus being related to the freaking Ancients. This is why I loved the earlier seasons of SG-1. We got some other aliens with unique cultures who weren't humans at all. Later on it was all about the Ancients and nothing else. Now, we're on the edge of the universe where the whole place is wild. There's no terraformed planets or leftover ancient goodies: everything is completely foreign.
3. Survivalist Aspects. I've always been a survival geek to some extent. I like the fact that they have to make due with what they have. It makes every mission through the Stargate more than just exploration; it's a matter of life or death in some cases.