PDA

View Full Version : Jumpsuits?

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 20th, 2011, 05:29 AM
How many human civilzations have everyone wearing the same coveralls all the time? Come on why would everyone on the colony planet be wearing the same outfit. Somebody is going to get bored at some point in 30 years and make themselves something new.

Poor costume design.

gaguhan.galore
April 20th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Poor costume design.
more like cutting corners. literally.

s09119
April 20th, 2011, 05:39 AM
How many human civilzations have everyone wearing the same coveralls all the time? Come on why would everyone on the colony planet be wearing the same outfit. Somebody is going to get bored at some point in 30 years and make themselves something new.

Poor costume design.

If you'd rather a show sink half its budget into invidividualized costumes for each minor character that will only appear once or twice, please, go right ahead and request it.

KEK
April 20th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Weren't they all part of an expedition to set up a new colony? Makes sense they might all wear the same.

Mr Evil 37
April 20th, 2011, 05:57 AM
If you'd rather a show sink half its budget into invidividualized costumes for each minor character that will only appear once or twice, please, go right ahead and request it.

This

Weren't they all part of an expedition to set up a new colony? Makes sense they might all wear the same.

And this.

Stop nit-picking.

blazingfire
April 20th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I didn't know it was illegal to nitpick 'round here....

qingdom
April 20th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Got me thinking too.... there were more than one settlements of the expedition team. Destiny just encountered one of the (three?)...

Where were the military personnel? I cannot imagine a highly developed society without a military backbone... just in case of alien invasions... 2000 years isn't a hop, skip, and a jump away.

That's much like Jesus time til now for us. But it doesn't seem like Novus is any more technologically advanced 30 years ago as the crew of Destiny circa 2000 years ago. How could this be? Although English is still the major language amongst the population, I'll give them that tidbit... BUT... what about the technologies?

They have radios... they could just easily have mimicked that shortly after industrial revolution.

Remember... Crew of Destiny circa 2000 years ago had competent knowledge of how to establish a society from scratch... so they didn't need to go through the ancient history of egypt > greece > rome eras, medieval era, dark ages, etc to be where they are today.

J-Whitt Remastered
April 20th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Got me thinking too.... there were more than one settlements of the expedition team. Destiny just encountered one of the (three?)...

Where were the military personnel? I cannot imagine a highly developed society without a military backbone... just in case of alien invasions... 2000 years isn't a hop, skip, and a jump away.

That's much like Jesus time til now for us. But it doesn't seem like Novus is any more technologically advanced 30 years ago as the crew of Destiny circa 2000 years ago. How could this be? Although English is still the major language amongst the population, I'll give them that tidbit... BUT... what about the technologies?

They have radios... they could just easily have mimicked that shortly after industrial revolution.

Remember... Crew of Destiny circa 2000 years ago had competent knowledge of how to establish a society from scratch... so they didn't need to go through the ancient history of egypt > greece > rome eras, medieval era, dark ages, etc to be where they are today.

How many of them knew how to perfectly replicate anything they used on a daily basis though? I know enough about how a laptop works to use one, but strand me on a planet with no sort of infrastructure and my basic knowledge of computers and tell me to make a laptop for someone and see how quickly it gets done.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 20th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Yes, it's a nitpick but geez they could give these people street clothes?

Nth Chevron
April 20th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Jesus, with Destiny's mission being something so huge and unprecedented and all some people can do is nitpick about the clothes they wear.

Seriously?

N.C

Ukko
April 20th, 2011, 08:30 AM

Poor costume design.

We all wear the same stuff now anyway. I dont see how jumsuits in other civilizations are any different.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 20th, 2011, 09:05 AM
NC,

I love the show and Destiny's mission I'm simply saying having everybody wearing identical jumpsuit seems weird without some explaniantion. Particularly in light of the fact they are 30 years on that planet.

Ukko,

We all wear the same stuff now anyway. I dont see how jumsuits in other civilizations are any different.

No, we wear similar things, not identical jumpsuits.

Puddle-Jumper
April 20th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Stop nit-picking.

Indeed, if you wanna pick at a plot issue, the lazy writing, ignoring years of established continuity be my guest.. but don't pick at something that doesn't matter at all.. I dunno about the rest of ye but I hardly notice the costumes as long as they are somewhat fitting with the society and the culture and not Princess Leia and Jabba. Plus someone gave a very good in universe explanation already

You might as well start a thread asking why all the corridors on Destiny look the same

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 20th, 2011, 09:20 AM
*Grumble*

:P

Ukko
April 20th, 2011, 09:24 AM
NC,

I love the show and Destiny's mission I'm simply saying having everybody wearing identical jumpsuit seems weird without some explaniantion. Particularly in light of the fact they are 30 years on that planet.

Ukko,

No, we wear similar things, not identical jumpsuits.

I havent seen entire civilizations wearing identical jumpsuites.

Shadow_7
April 20th, 2011, 09:31 AM
It could be that the two factions are at war, so the uniform, is to ensure they shoot at the right clans. We have school uniforms, work uniforms, and other common things in my country. Not to say that it's right or ideal, but we have them. At least they didn't go with hawaiian shirts and shorts. And a clan of independent brewers with no skill beyond the making of sugar and yeast. Although it might have been a little more interesting of a story. Hey, I recognize you (hiccup), you're Jim "Scott" Beam. And you're (hiccup) Makers "Eli" Mark. And you're Turkey "Chloe" Hill (hiccup).

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 20th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Ukko,

The Novus colonists are all wearing the same jumpsuit, of varying sizes but identical make.

Ukko
April 20th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Ukko,

The Novus colonists are all wearing the same jumpsuit, of varying sizes but identical make.

Just now looking back at the ep, their clothes are similar, not identical.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 20th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Ukko,

I'll have to rewatch when I get an opportunity.

zainea13
April 20th, 2011, 10:29 AM
For the costumes, I slightly agree. They could have had some variation. Say some people wearing the vests, others not. Basically everyone was wearing the exact same thing. Just tell some of them to take it off.

And, I agree, they don't know how to replicate everything they made. Also, the planet they lived on might not have had the same resources as earth. However, after so long, they might have been able to reverse engineer the things destiny's crew brought with them, and they should be a little more advanced than we are now. Just sayin... lol

Nth Chevron
April 20th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Lantean clothes were similar to sometimes identical, Atlantis personal had to wear the same clothes, just color coded for function.

Black - Military
Red - command
Yellow - medical
Blue Scientific.

The ones we saw were all wearing blue which could have meant it was a scientific expedition.

N.C

erotavlas
April 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I think wearing clothing that is functional rather than 'fashionable' is a sign of a more advanced civilization.

Nth Chevron
April 20th, 2011, 06:31 PM
So looking at Earth society today - were still Neanderthals :P

N.C

garhkal
April 20th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Hows about they wear jump suits cause its a function of utility.
Easy on, easy off, easy cleaning.

Gollumpus
April 20th, 2011, 08:32 PM
The jumpsuits, having them speak English, they're small points. Valid, but small.

regards,
G.

zainea13
April 20th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I think wearing clothing that is functional rather than 'fashionable' is a sign of a more advanced civilization.

This is completely ass-backwards... The only function clothing provides is warmth and protection from the elements. These are the clothes that Natives and peasants wore. In an advanced society, luxury is affordable. And therefore everyone can have fashion. Even if it is a functional and fashionable garment. Take North Face gear for example, a popular trend in the US at least, fashionable, and yet it's main purpose it to protect from the elements.

You can bring up silky tops etc. And those clothes are worn in the summer, when it is hot. Thin clothing provides protection from the sun, wicks away sweat, and keeps your bodies cool in some ways. Therefore, functional and fashionable yet again.

Costume designers for television just don't wanna spend a lot of money. For projects like LOTR for example, they will, and everyone wears their own unique costume.

D Toccs
April 21st, 2011, 12:11 AM
Well I can think of at least one expedition that was sent to a remote place for decades to set up a community and everybody there wore variations of the same uniform.

It was called The DHARMA Initiative.

Egle01
April 21st, 2011, 03:36 AM
Is the next thread going to about complaining Icarus's black uniforms? :P

Nth Chevron
April 21st, 2011, 03:42 AM
Dont dangle a carrot in front of them for gods sake ..

N.C

Ukko
April 21st, 2011, 05:42 AM
This is completely ass-backwards... The only function clothing provides is warmth and protection from the elements. These are the clothes that Natives and peasants wore. In an advanced society, luxury is affordable. And therefore everyone can have fashion. Even if it is a functional and fashionable garment. Take North Face gear for example, a popular trend in the US at least, fashionable, and yet it's main purpose it to protect from the elements.

Or the advanced civilization would be beyond stupid fashion trends and simply see clothes as what you pointed out they are for, warmth and protection from the elements, so just wear the same or very similar stuff.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 21st, 2011, 08:43 AM
Egle01,

Military organizations have been wearing "uniforms" for quite some time. You'll get no complaint from me on that score.

D Toccs
April 21st, 2011, 08:55 AM

Well why did they have to be Black ? I mean come on !! Is Magenta really that bad !!??

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
April 21st, 2011, 09:52 AM
Never noticed :p.

Gollumpus
April 21st, 2011, 01:12 PM
Well why did they have to be Black ? I mean come on !! Is Magenta really that bad !!??

Black is slimming...

regards,
G.

garhkal
April 21st, 2011, 04:24 PM
Plus it takes longer to look dirty!

Shadow_7
April 21st, 2011, 08:55 PM
Assuming that advanced means some super material that's one size fits all, bullet proof, zaps mosquitos, self deodorizing, and other things, but only comes in one color? Do you stick with the stitched together road kill, or upgrade?

erotavlas
April 22nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
Or the advanced civilization would be beyond stupid fashion trends and simply see clothes as what you pointed out they are for, warmth and protection from the elements, so just wear the same or very similar stuff.

this is what I was referring to :)

This is completely ass-backwards... The only function clothing provides is warmth and protection from the elements. These are the clothes that Natives and peasants wore.

In an advanced culture clothing that is only functional can be very advanced (bringing many improvements in materials and fabrication process to the garments) so it need not be at the level of what peasants and natives wore many thousands of years ago.

In an advanced society, luxury is affordable. And therefore everyone can have fashion.

what does this mean? Fashion is not luxury.

Even if it is a functional and fashionable garment. Take North Face gear for example, a popular trend in the US at least, fashionable, and yet it's main purpose it to protect from the elements.

You can bring up silky tops etc. And those clothes are worn in the summer, when it is hot. Thin clothing provides protection from the sun, wicks away sweat, and keeps your bodies cool in some ways. Therefore, functional and fashionable yet again.

Costume designers for television just don't wanna spend a lot of money. For projects like LOTR for example, they will, and everyone wears their own unique costume.

You are right in that clothing can be both functional and fashionable, since fashion is just a particular style of clothing or trend for a particular time. Even if everyone on Earth started wearing plain grey jumpsuits, then that would still be considered the current fashion. So what I wrote in the previous post should say something like this instead

"I think using clothing for its functional purpose without the need to use stylistic variations to distinguish oneself socially or economically (for example) from another is a sign of a more advanced civilization."

Which in most cases is how clothing styles are used today in western culture. Sometimes its used to portray ones personality, like and dislikes, but its also used to portray social class and give some people a higher sense of self worth.

The Destiny
April 22nd, 2011, 02:23 PM
I just assumed those were their uniforms. They were an expedition to set up a colony. I assume they were something like personel from the state or something, instead of a couple hundred people picked off the street and thrown through the gate.

They had pieces of brown clothing ( made on the planet maybe? ) over their blue'ish uniforms. Those might have obscured any "colour coding" the uniforms had.