Seed ship 2000 years ahead of Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed ship 2000 years ahead of Destiny?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they were weeks away from Novas in this episode and even if months away from their location in Twin Destinies, the fact they went back 2000 years means a gate existed for them to go back to. What am I missing?

I don't think you're missing anything. This establishes that stargates have been planted by seedships in this galaxy at least 2000 years prior to Destiny's arrival. I don't believe that contradicts anything previously stated on the show.

If you're referring to Eli's explanation that they wound up on Novus because "there wasn't a gate there 2000 years ago", he was talking about the gate on board Destiny. I believe what he meant was, the wormhole was redirected to Novus instead of looping back to Destiny because Destiny's gate wasn't there 2000 years ago.

Comment

It probably wasn't exactly 2000 years
      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

When ever a Stargate is used to go back in time, the wormhole double backs on itself and you arrive where you left from just in a different time. So if you left from Earth in the 2,011 and travelled back in time 2,000 years, you should come through the wormhole in the year 0,011 on Earth.

Because Destiny wasn't in that region of space 2,000 years ago, when the wormhole double backed it couldn't reconnect to itself so it connected with another gate close by. That's why it was said "there was no Stargate here 2,000 years ago".

It is however possible that there were no Stargates there 2,000 years ago and that the same effect of the gate appearing then shimmering away happened as in the episode "1969". If this was the case, they are lucky they didn't wind up in connect to themselves, arrive on Destiny then have the Destiny disappear. However the effect of time travel using a Stargate, while mostly consistent is changed for plot purposes.

sigpic

Comment

I can see there being a gate there 2,000 years before Destiny arrived. Only if Destiny has been traveling for millions of years. If the seed ships are just a little bit faster than Destiny then over the space of millions of years the seed ships could pull a few thousand years ahead.

Two brothers leave their house at the same time. They both are driving to the shops but one is in a people carrier and the other is in a smaller sports car. They are not going to arrive at the shops at the same time. The smaller sports car will get there first.

If the seed ships are x amount faster than Destiny every year say, multiply that over millions of years and you have a few thousand year cushion. We saw the ruins on that one planet that had a Stargate. We don't know if the seed ships would have been programmed to plant a gate on a planet that already has intelligent life, personally id say they wouldn't (though this could have been how the blue aliens found out about Destiny) so if something evolved after the gates got there then it must have been some time between building a society and it becoming ruins.

Comment

Originally posted by Archetype View Post
            I don't think you're missing anything. This establishes that stargates have been planted by seedships in this galaxy at least 2000 years prior to Destiny's arrival. I don't believe that contradicts anything previously stated on the show.
            It doesn't contradict anything, 2000 years may just be a bit longer then what we might have been expecting.. but then again 2000 years in the grand scheme of things... given how long Destiny has been running.... isn't really that much
            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

I dont think any of us actually imagined he Seed ships to be so far ahead of Destiny.

But if thats true then doesnt it mean any information about an area received from the Seeder ships is null and void as soon as they read it/find it.

Which explains no knowledge of the Blues/Ursini/Drones, now we know this (but no season 3 :'( ) i would find it more scary if the Seed ships reported on a space fairing people, in 2000 years they could be a much bigger threat or maybe more peaceful..

N.C

Comment

Thats a good point about the seed ships and the drones, the timeline fits. which is EXTREMELY odd for something in stargate....
                I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Of course would the older model ships (seed ships) have the faster engines? Granted that Destiny seems predestined to stop a lot. More so with Rush pushing buttons. But perhaps some benevolent aliens (faith planet) might have restored them to factory condition and they took the lead. Or perhaps a faster scout seed ship to plant one gate per galaxy just to test the waters. And let the other seed ships know if it's worth the effort.

We don't really know much about the seed ships at this point. Aside from one broken one that might only be one of many different types. Gatherers, Makers, Planters, and whatever other specialization(s).

Of course if they're that diversified, there would have to be many hundreds of them out there. If only to survive the attrition factor. Or for spare parts on a rainy day. To meet up one day and form Voltron... Oh wait, wrong series...

Comment

Also, in continuum, they gated to a different planet in the past. Totally can happen. The wormhole just has to be bent out of its standard flow. This happens from massive gravitational pull, according to the show.
                    Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

Originally posted by zainea13 View Post
                      Also, in continuum, they gated to a different planet in the past. Totally can happen. The wormhole just has to be bent out of its standard flow. This happens from massive gravitational pull, according to the show.
                      We don't know for sure he gated to a different planet. All we know is an appropriate solar was found and Mitchell went through the Gate. If it followed normal time travel rules (of sort) that we've seen happen before, Mitchell should have found himself back on the planet he left. This would have given him 10 years to find a way back to Earth. We also never saw Baal going back, so he should have also arrived in the past on the planet he original left. For the purpose of storytelling, we don't get to see what really happened.

Telford going back in time and arriving on Earth, or even the Descendants going back in time and arriving on another planet was a change to how we've seen time travel done before simply because these episodes wouldn't have worked without the changes. Tney should have looped back, arrived back on Destiny and like the episode "1969", time would have changed around them and they'd be dead in space because the ship wasn't there 2,000 years ago. Telford in theory should have arrived back on Destiny 12 hours earlier assuming that his Destiny and Destiny 12 hours earlier were in the same Point of Origin area so the gate would have connected to itself, he'd come through safe. If not, he too should have found himself floating in space dead.

sigpic

Comment

I think its safe to say that the solar flares that make the gate do a 180 and a flare that just warps the wormhole for time travel but still ends up at the intended location have different characteristics.

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                          It is however possible that there were no Stargates there 2,000 years ago and that the same effect of the gate appearing then shimmering away happened as in the episode "1969". If this was the case, they are lucky they didn't wind up in connect to themselves, arrive on Destiny then have the Destiny disappear. However the effect of time travel using a Stargate, while mostly consistent is changed for plot purposes.
                          If that were the case then their decendants would have witnessed a seed ship plant the stargate on Novus at a later time, which would have been cool to see.

Comment

What about the SG-1 episode "1969" where they went back in time to a location that had no stargate. The gate dematerialized after they arrived. Seemed pretty hokey to me.
                            Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

i think that the reason why the crew were sent to novus was because as said the flair would have sent them back to destiny but since it wasn't there 2000 years prior the wormhole jumped to the nearest stargate which was on novus.

telford went through the gate before it got unstable so he ended up on earth safe, except since destiny was sent back in time, he ended up in our reality where the crew hadn't attempt to use the stargate yet.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X