PDA

View Full Version : Say TPTB decided to go to novel format would anyone be a little satisfied?

General Jumper One
April 19th, 2011, 06:25 PM
So if TPTB decided to continue Destiny's mission and the rest of Stargate Universe in the novel format (because they are writing it, it would be cannon) would anyone be fine with this or not even care?

Major_Griff
April 19th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Meh, I'd probably read it as long as it was written by BW or RCC or JM or somebody like that (assuming any of them would be interesting in writing a novel), but it wouldn't be anywhere near as satisfying to read about it as it would be to watch it.

the fifth man
April 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I would definitely pick up the novels. I enjoy reading, and would love for SGU to continue in some form.

DigiFluid
April 19th, 2011, 06:50 PM
It wouldn't be as satisfying as watching it for sure. But if it was penned by BW or RCC, or they did the story outline (a la the JMS outlined B5 books) I'd still check it out. This show demands resolution and it's truly unfortunate that it won't get it.

the fifth man
April 19th, 2011, 06:52 PM
It wouldn't be as satisfying as watching it for sure. But if it was penned by BW or RCC, or they did the story outline (a la the JMS outlined B5 books) I'd still check it out. This show demands resolution and it's truly unfortunate that it won't get it.

It definitely deserves some resolution. That is for sure.

J-Whitt Remastered
April 19th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I'd read the novels if they were done. Of course, I'd rather see the end of the show if at all possible. Too bad it isn't.

Replicator Todd
April 19th, 2011, 07:21 PM
If the novels were considered canon I would definitely read them. I like to read books so...yeah.

Pharaoh Atem
April 19th, 2011, 07:30 PM
So if TPTB decided to continue Destiny's mission and the rest of Stargate Universe in the novel format (because they are writing it, it would be cannon) would anyone be fine with this or not even care?

i would love it as long as it's released for the kindle

morrismike
April 19th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I'm pretty sure TPTB were shown the door.

magictrick
April 19th, 2011, 07:35 PM
It would be little consolation but at least it would conclude the story. I'd check it out.

Pharaoh Atem
April 19th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I'm pretty sure TPTB were shown the door.

i'm pretty sure brad and company still have a job but nothing new on the drawing board and a deal with a tv station

Browncoat1984
April 19th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I've really enjoyed the post-series TNG/DS9/Voy/TOS/Ent novels and the novel only Trek series like Vanguard and Titan. If they are as well done as some of those books, especially the DS9 series I would love it! The novels are my way of getting new stories with those characters I know will never see action on the big or small screen again. That and Star Trek Online are how I get my fix for new adventures in the Trek primeverse and I'd love for good novels in the Stargate universe set after the series.

AllyCat
April 19th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I would pick them up just to see.... but I don't know if I would like to have to read the continuation and not see it.... o.0

Pharaoh Atem
April 19th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I would pick them up just to see.... but I don't know if I would like to have to read the continuation and not see it.... o.0

some books come with pictures :P

BloomGate
April 19th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I think it would be awesome if they wrote some books to tie up the stories they had in mind for seasons 3-5 - but with the specific expectation that it would all setup a huge awesome 2 hour final movie.

I think that sometimes TV shows suffer from the nature of the business where the writers never know when it's going to end. Not even addressing the SGA and SGU issues, SG1 had an awesome ending at the end of season 8 with Reckoning 1/2 and Threads. Moebius 1/2 was a fun non-finale, but it was the other 3 eps that tied up all the story lines nicely.

I would very much like to see them use books to setup an awesome movie so they can have a proper ending to the story. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Skiffy, I'm pretty sure they could promote the heck out of a movie to tie up the series as long as it's "jam-packed" (I love jam - to quote Vala)

Egle01
April 20th, 2011, 12:10 AM
It wouldn't be as satisfying as watching it for sure. But if it was penned by BW or RCC, or they did the story outline (a la the JMS outlined B5 books) I'd still check it out.Same here.

some books come with pictures :PSome illustrations would be nice. And I'm totally serious here.

KEK
April 20th, 2011, 12:45 AM
I would be very satisfied. I think SGU's style of storytelling lends itself to novels as it is. Only if it was considered canon by Brad & Co though. I imagine getting Brad on board would be the hard part.

Replicator Todd
April 20th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I think graphic novels would be better instead of novels. It seems to be the thing these days for cancelled sci-fi TV shows.

KEK
April 20th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Perhaps we should write to John Scalzi, he's a great novel writer and knows the characters and plot inside out after all...

Jes
April 20th, 2011, 03:41 PM

It would really depend TBH.

I don't worry about the "cannon" agruement much cause if they take the money to put the logo on the book then it is part of the story as far as I am concerned.

As far as my getting the book or being satisfied with it, it would come down to who the writer is and which characters' POV will we be getting.

dacooker
April 20th, 2011, 04:32 PM
The Cast and Crew made SGU what it is. If the writers put together a decent ending in a novel format, it was be extremely unsatisfying.

FrodoFraggins
April 20th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I like SGU, but the show doesn't have any mysteries or unresolved plots that would make me interested in reading a continuation in book form. It's not like Lost or Babylon 5 where I'd be eager to see how it was supposed to end if those shows had been canceled early.

KEK
April 20th, 2011, 11:39 PM
The Cast and Crew made SGU what it is. If the writers put together a decent ending in a novel format, it was be extremely unsatisfying.

I'd say the writers made it what it is more so. You can imagine what the characters would be like saying the lines, or spectacular visuals, but you can't dream up your own canon storyline.

Rylor
April 20th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I would definitely read them. It's better than nothing...

Nathan Reynolds
April 21st, 2011, 02:18 AM
I would if there was an order in the novels, not like SG1 and Atlantis that theres a bunch of them but some take place in season1 or season 8 or between episodes. I dont like that.
I would love to read Stargate novels if they moved the story forward not tell little stand alone episodes that could fit into the seasons but were never done(for whatever reason). Its like even if you read them the overall story stays the same so i wonder "whats the point?"

coZma
April 21st, 2011, 05:36 AM
Not much but I want to see how it ends

Sp!der
April 21st, 2011, 05:58 AM
I would rather much like to see a Graphic Novel (although I think that Graphic Novels from TV shows are kinda difficult) it could help to SG:U not only to tell the story they want to but also with pictures,...I know its dump how I described it... but I think a Graphic Novel Season 3 for SG:U would work quite well...

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
April 21st, 2011, 06:04 AM
Books are better anyway, so definitly. Infact id be completely happy with that decision. All my fave sci-fi is in book form anyway. Another way id be happy to see it go is Audio-dramas, done by a company like Big Finish with all the sound FX, music and actors reprising their roles - You can record the dialogue in as little as a few days for one CD so it would make it easier for the actors (especially if they are doing other things).

FoX-1028
April 21st, 2011, 06:09 AM
I wouldnt like but if its the only way to know the ending... alright

Trinary
April 21st, 2011, 06:44 AM
I preferred an interactive media available from a website dedicated to Stargate franchise such as SWF comics or animations flick. So, they could sell Stargate merchandise and SG series DVD while the SGU continue in form as a 20 minutes SWF flicks twice a week.

Duneknight
April 21st, 2011, 06:16 PM
Books or comics, as long as its quality stuff which i doubt. I doubt Brad would be free to contribute to that kind of thing. I would like a trilogy for the books that will conclude SGU, one for each season they taken from us.

I am Goa'uld
April 21st, 2011, 08:29 PM
id rather have a novel then spend the rest of my life not knowing what happens after this season...