PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones renewed for a second season!

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 19th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Yes, I the Mighty 6 platoon, on a dodgy internet connection thanks to Manchester Airports bad wifi, bring you news of a second season of Game of Thrones.

Entertainment Weekly is reporting it has been officially renenwed, and further, got good ratings, 4.2 million across 3 viewings on the first night. All in all then, good times. :D

Here's the link
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/19/game-of-thrones-renewed/

Andron
April 19th, 2011, 07:49 AM
That's how it should be :D Another 10 or maybe 12 episodes to look forward to.
There are some very interesting events happening in A Clash of Kings!

Here's another source that reported the renewal
http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/04/hbo-renews-game-of-thrones-for-second-season/

Arative
April 19th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Lets hope the ratings justify continuing renewal and GRRM can keep pace with the series.

Mr Evil 37
April 19th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Really surprised at the renewal after only one episode. But good for Game of Thones :D I look forward to watching it on Blu-ray.

Ukko
April 19th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Awesome news:D If only these guys had their claws in SGU:(

starg8fans
April 19th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Really surprised at the renewal after only one episode. But good for Game of Thones :D I look forward to watching it on Blu-ray.

From what I heard they were THIS close to renew the show anyway, guess they just wanted to see the ratings for the premiere to announce it. So it wasn't unexpected for me, but it's still nice to have the official confirmation. Guess I'll be reading the first book during the break between the seasons.

chrono trigger
April 19th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Yes, I the Mighty 6 platoon, on a dodgy internet connection thanks to Manchester Airports bad wifi, bring you news of a second season of Game of Thrones.

Entertainment Weekly is reporting it has been officially renenwed, and further, got good ratings, 4.2 million across 3 viewings on the first night. All in all then, good times. :D

Here's the link
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/19/game-of-thrones-renewed/

great news:)

Andron
April 19th, 2011, 09:46 AM
George R.R. Martin speculates that will be more episodes in season 2 than in season 1.

Go here to read the entire blog entry (contains a book spoiler, though it won't actually mean anything to somebody who hasn't read the books ;) ) http://grrm.livejournal.com/211736.html

magictrick
April 19th, 2011, 10:18 AM
From what I heard they were THIS close to renew the show anyway, guess they just wanted to see the ratings for the premiere to announce it. So it wasn't unexpected for me, but it's still nice to have the official confirmation. Guess I'll be reading the first book during the break between the seasons.

Yea and everyone at HBO was excited for this series for a long time now. They are pretty good at determining when they have a hit series on their hands and they seem to have been right about GoT.

FrodoFraggins
April 19th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Yea and everyone at HBO was excited for this series for a long time now. They are pretty good at determining when they have a hit series on their hands and they seem to have been right about GoT.

Two of my favorite shows, Rome and Carnivale, were given second season nods but never got more from HBO. Rome had enough notice to speed things up and give a decent ending. Carnivale was meant to be six seasons and ended with a cliffhanger. :(

I'm glad HBO renewed GoT but it will be a long time before I give HBO any of my money. If they manage to complete GoT I'll definitely subscribe for the final season.

starg8fans
April 19th, 2011, 11:21 AM

It was mentioned somewhere that here are 15 million fans of the books out there. Provided they don't mess up the adaptation, that's quite a target audience to work from...

magictrick
April 19th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Two of my favorite shows, Rome and Carnivale, were given second season nods but never got more from HBO. Rome had enough notice to speed things up and give a decent ending. Carnivale was meant to be six seasons and ended with a cliffhanger. :(

I'm glad HBO renewed GoT but it will be a long time before I give HBO any of my money. If they manage to complete GoT I'll definitely subscribe for the final season.

Nobody's perfect, but from their track record, those two are exceptions as opposed to the norm. Also, HBO is pretty open when it comes to this kind of thing, they admitted canceling Rome was a mistake. Same with Deadwood. I'm not sure about Carnivale as I never followed that show.

Ekras
April 19th, 2011, 05:27 PM
That's how it should be :D Another 10 or maybe 12 episodes to look forward to.
There are some very interesting events happening in A Clash of Kings!

Here's another source that reported the renewal
http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/04/hbo-renews-game-of-thrones-for-second-season/

Actually how it SHOULD be is 20 episode seasons, with 3 seasons announced before launch. If it does well after the first several episodes, renew it for an additional 2 seasons at that time. This season-by-season crap is really starting to tick me off....

VampyreWraith
April 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I'm really glad the show's already been renewed for a second season. :)

DigiFluid
April 19th, 2011, 06:09 PM
I came in to the subforum to post just this news, awesomesauce :D

starg8fans
April 19th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Actually how it SHOULD be is 20 episode seasons, with 3 seasons announced before launch. If it does well after the first several episodes, renew it for an additional 2 seasons at that time. This season-by-season crap is really starting to tick me off....

Especially when they announce their decision at the last moment when the season finale is pretty well done, so the show ends on a cliffhanger...

DigiFluid
April 19th, 2011, 09:53 PM
20 episode seasons have a tendency to run too long for the story they're trying to tell. I much prefer the premium cable/UK tendency to do 10-13 episode seasons.

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 20th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Nobody's perfect, but from their track record, those two are exceptions as opposed to the norm. Also, HBO is pretty open when it comes to this kind of thing, they admitted canceling Rome was a mistake. Same with Deadwood. I'm not sure about Carnivale as I never followed that show.

In the case of both Deadwood and Rome it wasn't even their fault entirely. In Deadwood's case, the costs were spiralling rapidly out of control, the creator, David Milch had them build the entire town of Deadwood, not just the sets they needed. Also they had a large cast of very well known actors. That being said they offered David Milch a miniseries to wrap things up, but he turned them down and tried to raise funding for couple of movies to wrap up Deadwood, and failed.

As for Rome, that was mostly the BBC's fault, they provided 15% of the funding, and the costs again were spiralling out of control. The BBC butchered the show when they showed, cutting down episodes, and combining them, so the reaction was very negative in the uk. They then pulled out of funding and HBO was left it a very expensive show (much more expensive than GOT) and it was worried about ratings. So they told the creator they were ending it after the second season and gave the writers time to wrap thing up. As it turned out the ratings were very good for Rome, but before they could renew it, the set burned down and the actors moved on the other projects. But they are trying to put a movie together as we speak.

HBO are pretty good with their shows, if they do cancel them they try and give warning, or ways to wrap them up and they have admitted their mistake in cancelling Deadwood and Rome. As for GOT it should hopefully go on for a long time, it’s estimated they’ll make $1 billion from the first season alone, they’ve already made something like $300 million in international sales. :D

MattSilver 3k
April 20th, 2011, 02:01 AM
I like HBO. They're fun. HBO and AMC. Both fun. I like them.

Andron
April 20th, 2011, 06:05 AM
HBO co-president Richard Plepler and programming president Michael Lombardo told EW that the second season will have 10 episodes.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/19/game-of-thrones-season-two-2/

mr_kennedy
April 20th, 2011, 07:01 AM
First of all good news about the renewal, secondly i kinda wish that it got the full season pick up, i like longevity in my shows i think it adds to rewatchablity

Shan Bruce Lee
April 20th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Between this and Boardwalk Empire, HBO has some of the best shows on TV right now. I'm not at all surprised they renewed it just from how good it looked visually.

MattSilver 3k
April 20th, 2011, 07:29 AM
First of all good news about the renewal, secondly i kinda wish that it got the full season pick up, i like longevity in my shows i think it adds to rewatchablity

What. Dude, this is HBO. They don't do back-nine pick ups or whatever. Second season is the pick-up.

maxbo
April 21st, 2011, 01:40 AM

That's an interesting bit of info. If HBO sees the cancellations of Rome and Deadwood as mistakes then perhaps this will work in GoT's favor so if the show's costs soar and the ratings drop a bit, HBO will stick with for the long haul.

magictrick
April 21st, 2011, 06:40 AM
That's an interesting bit of info. If HBO sees the cancellations of Rome and Deadwood as mistakes then perhaps this will work in GoT's favor so if the show's costs soar and the ratings drop a bit, HBO will stick with for the long haul.

Its already a very expensive production and with season 2 on the way the costs for that will likely increase. I'm sure HBO is aware of this or else they would not have committed to a 2nd season so quickly. Either way it looks like they are putting their full support behind the series because they expect great things.

Duneknight
April 21st, 2011, 01:42 PM
lets not have this one slip from our hands. This is one hell of a story being told for tv, not gonna get this chance again with that kind of production value.

FrodoFraggins
April 21st, 2011, 05:23 PM
I've never seen anything by HBO that states they felt canceling Deadwood, Rome or Carnivale was a mistake. If they did it's basically lip service at this point. I'm glad that HBO has made some of my favorite shows, but they've kind of broken my heart by not ensuring they were given a decent sendoff.

It's great that GoT is guaranteed two years, as even if it gets canceled it will get completed in novel form unless GRRM pulls a Robert Jordan. The main reason I've kept away from the novels is that I'd like to know that the series will be finished.

DigiFluid
April 21st, 2011, 11:53 PM

What. Dude, this is HBO. They don't do back-nine pick ups or whatever. Second season is the pick-up.
Yes. Not sure what you're talking about, kennedy. HBO seasons are always 9-13 episodes--a 10 episode order is a full season pickup.

Cold Fuzz
April 22nd, 2011, 12:04 AM

It tends to vary a bit from show to show. A full season of True Blood is 12 episodes. Oz was almost always 8 episodes, though season 4 was a bit different with that with an additional 8 episodes. The Pacific and Band of Brothers both got 10 episodes.

Yeah, there would be salary considerations for the caddy, not to mention having to worry about all the divots around the green. Thankfully, there's no need for a big handicap for this show.

Egle01
April 30th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Already renewed? That's great, now I don't have to fear that I'll grow to like the show lots, and then it gets canned. At least not any time soon.

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 30th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Already renewed? That's great, now I don't have to fear that I'll grow to like the show lots, and then it gets canned. At least not any time soon.

Almost all HBO shows get second seasons, of 1 hour drama's I think only 2 of their shows only have 1 season, John from Cincinnati and Tell Me You Love Me. And Tell Me You Love Me was renewed for a 2nd season, it's just the creator of that show couldn't find a direction to take that show in. So the big battle it's getting a 3rd and 4th season, if GOT gets those it should be a runaway success and be allowed to go for the 7 or 8 seasons needed to tell the story.

Egle01
April 30th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Almost all HBO shows get second seasons, of 1 hour drama's I think only 2 of their shows only have 1 season, John from Cincinnati and Tell Me You Love Me. And Tell Me You Love Me was renewed for a 2nd season, it's just the creator of that show couldn't find a direction to take that show in. So the big battle it's getting a 3rd and 4th season, if GOT gets those it should be a runaway success and be allowed to go for the 7 or 8 seasons needed to tell the story.Okay, thanks. Not familiar with HBO shows.

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 30th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Okay, thanks. Not familiar with HBO shows.

HBO generally take better care of their shows than other networks, ahem syfy we're looking at you, and try and give their shows the multiple seasons. They have cancelled stuff, but they have at least admitted it was a mistake, and on several occasions given the creators of the show ample warning about cancellation.

Hopefully GOT doesn't have to worry about any of that, they're estimated to make $1 billion from the first season alone, and have already racked up several hundred million dollars in foreign sales of the show.

Egle01
April 30th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Hopefully GOT doesn't have to worry about any of that, they're estimated to make $1 billion from the first season alone, and have already racked up several hundred million dollars in foreign sales of the show.Sounds very impressive.

Steelbox
May 15th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Seams awesome! Already ordered the two first books! I was surprised about Momoas appearance, didn't saw any news about him being on GOT earlier so it was a good surprised. I hope others from SG join him.

Sp!der
May 20th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I am not sure where to post this, do you know when a season 1 will be released on dvd? I know its still airing blabla... but I suppose sometime next year in may? or are there any words? True Blood gets always released in May (at least in europe!) but Game of Thrones are aired sooner than True Blood, does that mean that the dvd are released sooner as well?

The Mighty 6 platoon
May 20th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I am not sure where to post this, do you know when a season 1 will be released on dvd? I know its still airing blabla... but I suppose sometime next year in may? or are there any words? True Blood gets always released in May (at least in europe!) but Game of Thrones are aired sooner than True Blood, does that mean that the dvd are released sooner as well?

We may get the DVD's a bit earlier, maybe February or March. HBO normally releases DVD's just before the next season (I think :D).

Andron
May 20th, 2011, 10:46 AM
We may get the DVD's a bit earlier, maybe February or March. HBO normally releases DVD's just before the next season (I think :D).

They may release the DVD's even for Christmas. Wouldn't they be the perfect present? :)

Here's the amazon site for the season 1 DVD box set, no release date yet
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-Lena-Headey/dp/B002IFT1ZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305916979&sr=8-1

Sp!der
May 20th, 2011, 10:18 PM
They may release the DVD's even for Christmas. Wouldn't they be the perfect present? :)

Here's the amazon site for the season 1 DVD box set, no release date yet
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-Lena-Headey/dp/B002IFT1ZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305916979&sr=8-1

I so hope its gonna be released at chrismas but I dont hold my breath..

Shylodog
May 25th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I have a question maybe someone can answer. I noticed that earlier someone made a comment comparing HBO and SyFy. I'm certain they did it tongue-in-cheek, but it brings up a good question.

How does a non-commercially driven cable channel (HBO) get their money for the shows vs. a commercially driven cable channel (SyFy)? Is it just through DVD and service sales? What would prevent HBO from cancelling GoT, since they don't have commercials to drive their revenue?

The Mighty 6 platoon
May 25th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I have a question maybe someone can answer. I noticed that earlier someone made a comment comparing HBO and SyFy. I'm certain they did it tongue-in-cheek, but it brings up a good question.

How does a non-commercially driven cable channel (HBO) get their money for the shows vs. a commercially driven cable channel (SyFy)? Is it just through DVD and service sales? What would prevent HBO from cancelling GoT, since they don't have commercials to drive their revenue?

HBO instead of having commercials, replace that revenue with subscriptions fee's, which are fairly heavy. Aside from that they make a great deal of money from DVD sales and sales of the show to foreign networks and for syndication. HBO care mostly about increasing their number of subscribers, that's their main source of revenue. So they do care somewhat about ratings, they want to know that their subscribers are watching the content they put out, and they want to entice new subscribers. However unlike Syfy, because HBO don't have to deal with commercials, HBO don't care how people watch it, as long as they do, be it by watching the premiers of the episodes, any of the repeats, recording or watching it later, or watching it online via HBO Go. The most important ratings are not the ones for the premiere showings of the episodes on Sunday nights, which for GOT are around 2.5 million on average, but the overall audience figures, which are for GOT are closer to 9 million per episode.