X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm, DRONES

this got me thinking.

Spoiler:
    drones = novan experiment from the distant past gone wrong.

Spoiler:
    1. 2000 years is a long time.
    2. the novus civilization obviously has been colonizing other planets. how long is anyone's guess.
    3. one of their offshoots may have progressed much farther technologically while remaining cut off from the rest, deliberately or otherwise (remember the futuran-tanaran split)
    4. drone interiors look derived from ancient-y designs.
    5. the ursini never knew who made them, they merely found the drones sleeping. presumably after destroying their own creators.

we'll probably never know now would we

But we encountered the drones BEFORE the alternate team travelled back in time. There are two timelines, one with Novus, one without, yet the drones are in both.

Doens't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by gaguhan.galore View Post
      this got me thinking.

Spoiler:
      drones = novan experiment from the distant past gone wrong.

Spoiler:
      1. 2000 years is a long time.
      2. the novus civilization obviously has been colonizing other planets. how long is anyone's guess.
      3. one of their offshoots may have progressed much farther technologically while remaining cut off from the rest, deliberately or otherwise (remember the futuran-tanaran split)
      4. drone interiors look derived from ancient-y designs.
      5. the ursini never knew who made them, they merely found the drones sleeping. presumably after destroying their own creators.

we'll probably never know now would we
      I think we may find out who made them. I mean, I thought the other Destiny crew died and I never did guess we'll find out what happened to the ppl left behind on that planet. So who knows what they have planned for us.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        But we encountered the drones BEFORE the alternate team travelled back in time. There are two timelines, one with Novus, one without, yet the drones are in both.

Doens't make sense.
        Actually, it makes perfect sense. We may not have encountered them yet, but the folks on Novus have been around in our timeline for 2000 years. The settlement we stumbled across had been around for 28 years(ish) before we even boarded Destiny.

Time travel episodes can be tricksy evil things.

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
          Actually, it makes perfect sense. We may not have encountered them yet, but the folks on Novus have been around in our timeline for 2000 years. The settlement we stumbled across had been around for 28 years(ish) before we even boarded Destiny.

Time travel episodes can be tricksy evil things.
          Yes but we ENCOUNTERED the drones BEFORE that timeline was created. Novus NEVER existed until we tried to dial home, thus the drones wouldnt have existed.

Comment

In anticipation of rebuttle:

Drones existed in both timelines, but Novus only exists in the current timeline.

Comment

Yes but we ENCOUNTERED the drones BEFORE that timeline was created. Novus NEVER existed until we tried to dial home, thus the drones wouldnt have existed.
              But you can't say that. We only met the drones before we KNEW about the paradox. That doesn't mean it hadn't been created yet. It was created 2000 years ago. Round about the time we were nailing a Savior to a cross.

You're looking at it in the terms of as soon as the folks jumped through the gate, a great wave washed over the universe and things had changed. I'm looking at it as if we were born in the very calm wake of the event.

Like I said before, it's a tricksy thing.

Comment

In anticipation of rebuttle:

Drones existed in both timelines, but Novus only exists in the current timeline.
                And we can postulate that in every time line EXCEPT this one, the crew always jumped through the gate. Thus continually creating the paradox in every line of the multiverse that matters, except this one.

Comment

time travel itself within the show doesn't make sense (barely).

hammond sending sg1 back in time to fulfill his past.
                  he always knew he was going to make sg1 go back to 1969 but not until that cut on carter's hand.

it could be that the act of dialing within the star that caused the timetravel fiasco was already set in stone and none of the characters even knew about it.

speaking of stones, there's that obelisk on maybourne's planet.....

with time travel you never know if you were living in a modified timeline or otherwise. (cue fishing on an empty pond suddenly with fish)

Comment

And we can postulate that in every time line EXCEPT this one, the crew always jumped through the gate. Thus continually creating the paradox in every line of the multiverse that matters, except this one.
                    If they time travelled EVERY time then Rush would have been there in the first place to tell them not to dial, BUT HE WAS NOT.

Comment

Originally posted by gaguhan.galore View Post
                      time travel itself within the show doesn't make sense (barely).

hammond sending sg1 back in time to fulfill his past.
                      he always knew he was going to make sg1 go back to 1969 but not until that cut on carter's hand.

it could be that the act of dialing within the star that caused the timetravel fiasco was already set in stone and none of the characters even knew about it.

speaking of stones, there's that obelisk on maybourne's planet.....

with time travel you never know if you were living in a modified timeline or otherwise. (cue fishing on an empty pond suddenly with fish)
                      Exactly. There's at least two trains of thought in timetravel in SG. One: In going back, you create a paradox and create an alternate timeline (as you mentioned). Two: Your travel is predestined and you don't change a thing (as in 1969). They never allow for BOTH to happen, because if you're actions are predestined, then you cannot alter the timeline.

Comment

If they time travelled EVERY time then Rush would have been there in the first place to tell them not to dial, BUT HE WAS NOT.
                        That we KNOW of. It gets too perplexing and polarizing to continue this line of discussion, and TPTB know this. We get to see that which is important to THIS timeline. And quite frankly if TPTB decide to use Novus as the origin of the drone, I'm fairly certain the majority of the viewers would be ok with it.

Comment

That we KNOW of. It gets too perplexing and polarizing to continue this line of discussion, and TPTB know this. We get to see that which is important to THIS timeline. And quite frankly if TPTB decide to use Novus as the origin of the drone, I'm fairly certain the majority of the viewers would be ok with it.
                          As will I be, but until then IT DID NOT HAPPEN!

Comment

As will I be, but until then IT DID NOT HAPPEN!
                            That you know of.

ok, ok. I won't argue for arguing's sake. We'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

I know that i've already written a similar post on the discussion of the episode Common Descent, but does anybody think that the AI that controls the drones might be that of Rush seeing as though
                              Spoiler:
                              Alt Rush used the chair on Alt Destiny and could have uploaded his consciousness as some sort of AI. As Alt Destiny was heading into a star, Rush could have made the ship time travel and built the drones for some awesome Rush plan

I know it sounds far fetched, but I think that the writers are going to explain the drones and they wouldn't have made Alt Rush do what he did unless they had a plan.

Also,

Spoiler:
                              It seems a little weird that they reintroduced the idea of AI on Destiny and then dropped it, unless they had some use for it in season 3.

What does everybody think?

Comment

Working...
                              X