PDA

View Full Version : Spare part and tools at Novus!

Trinary
April 19th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Hope they just suit up with the exo-suit and salvage any useful equipment on the planet. Destiny could hovering around the planet for months. For sure, there a lots of part that could fix the CO2 scrubber and a lots more many things that useful.

It just about 30 years after the civilization went dead. So, many thing could still useful to help hundreds of people on destiny to continue survive for a very long time. No need for the stasis pod at the moment.

traylormatt
April 19th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Yeah, they could have power sources, advanced medical supplies and equipment, weapons (at least hand weapons), Glasses for those who need it.

They could even get a few luxury items. Books that have been written. Hey maybe even a TV with their versions of DVDs as you would assume they have developed that kind of thing given their city size people would want entertainment. Music. Computers to use to interface with Destiny possibly better than their current ones. not better than Destiny's computers, but earths.

I know they may not be advanced compared to Earth (or at least not 2000 years) as they would need to start from the bottom in a way they would have just gotten there quicker. They were at least to a nuclear age and looking at their cities they are advanced. No space ships or else they would have flown to the settlement to find out what is going on.

they could get spare clothing, much needed footware. So much stuff.

aquaman
April 19th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Everyone seems to be missing the obvious, there are two machine destroyers of all technology and there were TWO different cultures on neuvos... It seems their rivalry went beyond nuking thy neighbour, but using tech to destroy the tech of thy neighbour which has lead to their extinction and the only survivors are the few settlers that are on off neuvo's world alpha, beta, gamma, delta etc sites...

knowles2
April 19th, 2011, 04:49 AM
There was no nuclear war, there was no radiation found. An no EM signals either.

The city was also intact. No battle damage. no riot damage, and sadly no motorcars It seem the population was just picked up and transported to some other place .
It was a volcanic induce winter. Cause by a incoming black hole.

I do hope we spend sometime there picking up supplies and materials on the planet. An repairing the ship systems.

I would say the Nova are equal to earth current day to day tech or slightly more advance than us today, an that was thirty odd years ago, judging by there skyscrapers.. So If we ever do fine survivors that have maintain there technology progress they should be thirty or more years ahead of us technology wise. Presuming they have kept on making progress.

aquaman
April 19th, 2011, 04:54 AM
why 30 years ago? I am guessing they did not have the Church running industry and civilisation for 800 years as we had on Earth. Nothing progressed for over 8 Centuries! Imagine where they would be without religious wingnuts dictating that life should be lived according to a institutionally constructed book. Humanity stagnated for almost a millennium. I totally expect that if this civilisation/world did not have that hinderance, they would be far far more advanced than we are or will be for centuries. Societies to the level that we currently are, use nukes to destoy a world, but a society that is up to a 1000 years more advanced than us, would have far more creative ways of destorying each other...

knowles2
April 19th, 2011, 05:06 AM
why 30 years ago? I am guessing they did not have the Church running industry and civilisation for 800 years as we had on Earth. Nothing progressed for over 8 Centuries! Imagine where they would be without religious wingnuts dictating that life should be lived according to a institutionally constructed book. Humanity stagnated for almost a millennium. I totally expect that if this civilisation/world did not have that hinderance, they would be far far more advanced than we are or will be for centuries. Societies to the level that we currently are, use nukes to destoy a world, but a society that is up to a 1000 years more advanced than us, would have far more creative ways of destorying each other...

I guesting there population size would have placed some limits on there technological progress. Size of the population would have meant they would be limited to what they could build and when they could build it. Also we know there is some form religion on the planet so that may have held back there progress a little.

Also these two fractions may of been peaceful for centuries and as much as we may hate war, Humanity advance the quickest when we are trying to kill each other or trying to survive a natural disaster. They seem have on a idyllic planet with plenty of resources, an pretty free of diseases and germs.

traylormatt
April 19th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Although they have the downfall of initial small genetic pool, it is a pretty impressive genetic pool to begin a civilization with. Some of the brightest minds earth has produced and some of the best military and physical people earth has produced. If they just keep the balding guys out of the equation (I am a balding guy and only mid 20's so I mean no real offense by it) they could have a nice and perfect genetic pool down the line.

The size of the population would have hindered their capabilities to produce huge sky scrapers etc, though they did have some impressive buildings. I think the technology could have been really advanced, given their starting point. It would really depend on how much they could build before they were dead in order to pass on information their their children and so on.

Kaiphantom
April 19th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Somehow, I don't think they'll be able to remain on Novus for too long. Something is gonna force them away before they get too much. But in a brighter note, they probably picked up all or most of the gear on the settlement planet, so they do have more stuff now.

knowles2
April 19th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Somehow, I don't think they'll be able to remain on Novus for too long. Something is gonna force them away before they get too much. But in a brighter note, they probably picked up all or most of the gear on the settlement planet, so they do have more stuff now.

We know they spend some time there exploring the planet, they find a underground memorial for the ancients (themselves) and they explore other ruins.
Plus the other episodes look like Destiny going to be is a lot of battles, especially if we take the titles of the episode literally, they will need to do some serious repairs for the ship to survive those.
An I want to see the ship get a bit better before see the last of her.

kcatlantis
April 19th, 2011, 10:10 AM
People seem to forget one thing. The stupid Countdown.

eonflux
April 19th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Why are people assuming a war happened there is no evidence of such a thing.

Anyways, the ship needs a major repair. I am betting this is where it happends. 2000 Years a huge amount of time to develop and they had a head start.

morbosfist
April 19th, 2011, 10:32 AM
People seem to forget one thing. The stupid Countdown.They can always jump and u-turn.

talyn2k1
April 19th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Hope Novus has plenty of spares of spark generators, I think Destiny used all theirs up in this episode.
I thought Atlantis was bad for spark overuse but SGU is giving them a run for their money! :)

Pond Hopper
April 19th, 2011, 01:59 PM
People seem to forget one thing. The stupid Countdown.

At this point the countdown is only a suggestion, they have to ability to override it.

garhkal
April 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Why are people assuming a war happened there is no evidence of such a thing.

Anyways, the ship needs a major repair. I am betting this is where it happends. 2000 Years a huge amount of time to develop and they had a head start.

Plus since the society was founded BY those from the Destiny, perhaps they anticipated its return and built up stock piles of repair parts!

lvalen18
April 19th, 2011, 05:41 PM
That City looked like Capica with a mix of ancient... But how can a civilization this advance not predict a Volcanic Eruption or for that matter have some kind emergency shelters.. With a population in the millions they had to evac somewhere or a ship or something.. They went from wooden huts to an enormous city that rivals any on Earth in 2000 years..

They had technology that was compatible with Destiny's Systems so they advanced to Destiny's level of technology

Buy seeing as this is Stargate nothing is really going to be taken back to Destiny no matter how advance it might be.. Some people will die obviously they got to be written out some how and then they make a narrow escape from an attack or something

Maxwellxii
April 19th, 2011, 05:59 PM
concider this the novans probaly dialed out and evacd the planet so maby there next desination is another colony

Pond Hopper
April 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM
That City looked like Capica with a mix of ancient... But how can a civilization this advance not predict a Volcanic Eruption or for that matter have some kind emergency shelters.. With a population in the millions they had to evac somewhere or a ship or something.. They went from wooden huts to an enormous city that rivals any on Earth in 2000 years..

They had technology that was compatible with Destiny's Systems so they advanced to Destiny's level of technology

Buy seeing as this is Stargate nothing is really going to be taken back to Destiny no matter how advance it might be.. Some people will die obviously they got to be written out some how and then they make a narrow escape from an attack or something

I think the intention was for them to be more or less at Earth level technology, with that in mind you have to ask yourself this; would we we fare any better if we suffered a catastrophe like this? I certainly can't see some underground shelters sustaining any significant number of people for 10 years, never mind 30.

garhkal
April 19th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Plus even WITH our level of tech, we can't predict volcanic erruptions very well, or tornados with much more than a few minutes warning.

morrismike
April 19th, 2011, 08:29 PM
There was no nuclear war, there was no radiation found. An no EM signals either.

The city was also intact. No battle damage. no riot damage, and sadly no motorcars It seem the population was just picked up and transported to some other place .
It was a volcanic induce winter. Cause by a incoming black hole.

I do hope we spend sometime there picking up supplies and materials on the planet. An repairing the ship systems.

I would say the Nova are equal to earth current day to day tech or slightly more advance than us today, an that was thirty odd years ago, judging by there skyscrapers.. So If we ever do fine survivors that have maintain there technology progress they should be thirty or more years ahead of us technology wise. Presuming they have kept on making progress.
Unless they went thru a dark ages they'd be well beyond Tolan level of advancement.

Demoniser
April 19th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Unless they went thru a dark ages they'd be well beyond Tolan level of advancement.

Just because they might have had hundreds of years without religion and fear to hold them back, doesn't mean that they actually advanced continuously for those hundreds of years.

BadOnion
April 19th, 2011, 10:04 PM
True, religion is not the ONLY reason people do stupid things, just one of them.

knowles2
April 20th, 2011, 02:00 AM

We will see the emergency shelters next week. I think saying they advance to Destiny tech is stretching imagination a little. I suspect there computer technology, the crystal memory storage for instant is compatible with Destiny, but this was because they had the Kinos to reverse engineer and I pretty sure Brody, Eli and Volker taught there children as much as they could remember.

They also may of decided base on there knowledge of the drones to withhold certainly technology and knowledge so not to attract there attention. It also possible they could have been warned not to developed certain technologies that Eli knew would attract the wrong kind of attention.

But in weapons they still only had nuclear weapons level technology, and there communication systems were still em base or other wise they could just call there planet.
An they do not seem to have any interstellar vessels, fly vessels, cars.

I suspect there level of technology has massive variations across different areas. Some places they are way ahead some place they are way behind us.
Hopefully there were some scientists on the colony we picked up and we will see them helping to repair and run the Destiny in the future.

morrismike
April 20th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Just because they might have had hundreds of years without religion and fear to hold them back, doesn't mean that they actually advanced continuously for those hundreds of years.
Look at the level of advancement we made between 1850 and 2011. Within 200 years of settlement they are at 1940 levels of industrialization (steel, concrete, power generations, etc.). IF in the first 200 years there were just a few key individuals (like a Tesla, Heviside, Edison, etc.) years 200 to 400 would put them well beyond earth 2010 tech (not counting asgard and ancient tech). They also have the advantage of having a high octane gene pool to start with. If the kinos have adequate storage for the initial crew to film lesson plans and a means to recharge they would a society of engineers and scientists.

traylormatt
April 20th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Can you imagine a society where people are praised and revered and almost worshiped for their mental ability and intellect rather than being able to run fast, jump high or being good at football (soccer). They would be able to instill this mentality into their culture.

knowles2
April 20th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Can you imagine a society where people are praised and revered and almost worshiped for their mental ability and intellect rather than being able to run fast, jump high or being good at football (soccer). They would be able to instill this mentality into their culture.

May be that the Futura side. They did worshipped Rush.

Nth Chevron
April 20th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Kind of a contradiction in idolizing intellect when you worship a deity, much less Rush for cryin our loud.

N.C

Shylodog
April 20th, 2011, 07:53 AM
One thing we have a pretty good indication on... since they said they were scouting other worlds, it's highly likely they know how to make dialing devices. Whether that's on-par with with Destiny's device or Earth's, they're definitely intelligent enough to do that. This is of course assuming they sent out multiple parties in different directions from Novus.

Nth Chevron
April 20th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Or a plugin laptop connection like Atlantis, or even a bluetooth adapter as the remotes are not connected.

N.C

traylormatt
April 20th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Yeah, Eli established they could easily interface with the gate and then it was later shown they were able to make new, very small data storage devices that were compatible with Destiny (possibly showing they have based their technology partly on Destiny) but I think it would be safe to assume they were able to interface with the gates and dial them.

and yeah, I found it a little weird when he said "the less enlightened of us believe looking into his eyes will blah blah blah" surely they were brought up understanding that Rush was only a man and not some kind of demon. Their ancestors would have just been human and though his characteristics may have become exaggerated, surely the fact he was just a man would have remained. Very weird indeed.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 20th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Ivalen,

Well, just because you can predict an eruption and then shelter yourself from the immediate impact doesn't mean you can survive the serious evironmental damage caused by a massive eruption. The Great Dying the (Permian/Triassic extinction event) that killed 95% of all life on Earth is thought to have been caused by massive vulcanism that lasted for up to a million years. There is no preperation that will allow life to go on if you can't evauate in the face of something like that.

KEK
April 20th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Indeed. There would have been enough **** thrown up into the atmosphere to block out the sun for years.

Nth Chevron
April 20th, 2011, 12:27 PM
It was stated by someone, cant remember who, that the basis of the Novans tech WAS Destiny tech so maybe we'll find something to boost Destiny.

Hell in season 3 we might even ... have..

Never mind.

N.C

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 20th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Nth Chevron,

It was stated by someone, cant remember who, that the basis of the Novans tech WAS Destiny tech so maybe we'll find something to boost Destiny.

Hell in season 3 we might even ... have..

Never mind.

N.C

Other than the Kino's and Remotes what Destiny Tech could the evacuees have been carrying with them?

Nth Chevron
April 20th, 2011, 12:44 PM
It was BASED on, i.e from memory, i know they had nothing with them substantial enough to reproduce Destiny tech exactly, i think they were things derived from Destiny tech and then built for use with Destiny after Eli predicted she would return.

Other than that it could just have been Earth'ish recreations of Destiny tech as best they could approximate their function.

N.C

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 20th, 2011, 12:57 PM
N.C.

It was BASED on, i.e from memory, i know they had nothing with them substantial enough to reproduce Destiny tech exactly, i think they were things derived from Destiny tech and then built for use with Destiny after Eli predicted she would return.

Other than that it could just have been Earth'ish recreations of Destiny tech as best they could approximate their function.

N.C

Riiiight. In all their spare time.

traylormatt
April 20th, 2011, 01:07 PM
N.C.

Riiiight. In all their spare time.

What do you mean in all their spare time. The Novas weren't around for just like a week, 2000 years they developed the tech and during that time they DID develop some tech that could be used with Destiny. The small pen drive style data bank. It directly interfaced with Destiny when plugged into the ship. I doubt they were developing tech on the off chance Destiny arived, making these few data banks they keep on them. Clearly this was the style of technology they used.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 20th, 2011, 01:37 PM
traylormatt,

What do you mean in all their spare time. The Novas weren't around for just like a week, 2000 years they developed the tech and during that time they DID develop some tech that could be used with Destiny. The small pen drive style data bank. It directly interfaced with Destiny when plugged into the ship. I doubt they were developing tech on the off chance Destiny arived, making these few data banks they keep on them. Clearly this was the style of technology they used.

Two thousand years after the founding of Novas, yes, they can do this.

Trinary
April 20th, 2011, 01:39 PM
And don't forget they had some portable computers with them with a copies destiny database contents. May be not all, but useful bunch of technology to started with to help them survive and progressing.

I guess, Eli's Ipod alone has a lots things that could become part of the base technology for their new civilization.

traylormatt
April 20th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Of course they can, it is deomnstrated in the show that they can. We have no idea how far into the 2000 years that this kind of tech was developed.

Kaiphantom
April 20th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Those talking about whether Novis should have predicted the Super Volcano and/or built shelters... might want to look at Earth, and it's own Super Volcanoes. For instance, Yellowstone is one(of the national park in the US), and we have no idea when it will blow, and we have no shelters set up. If it does, it'll pretty much kill all life on this side of the Atlantic, and make life a bit hellish for everyone else, although life should go on elsewhere.

So, I believe there should be survivors, but then again, it's a big planet and may be impossible to actually find them.

Nth Chevron
April 20th, 2011, 04:06 PM
The planet might be alot smaller than Earth though, so 1 SV means the same all over aside from the initial kinetic outburst.

N.C

garhkal
April 20th, 2011, 08:20 PM

It makes a change...

May be that the Futura side. They did worshipped Rush.

Hallowed is the rush!

and yeah, I found it a little weird when he said "the less enlightened of us believe looking into his eyes will blah blah blah" surely they were brought up understanding that Rush was only a man and not some kind of demon. Their ancestors would have just been human and though his characteristics may have become exaggerated, surely the fact he was just a man would have remained. Very weird indeed.

Look at how much has changed concerning attila the hun, or vlad tepes..

Other than the Kino's and Remotes what Destiny Tech could the evacuees have been carrying with them?

Some must have taken their laptops... or other pieces of tech.

traylormatt
April 21st, 2011, 04:05 AM
Look at how much has changed concerning attila the hun, or vlad tepes..

Some must have taken their laptops... or other pieces of tech.

Sorry if I have missed the point, but people don't see these figure as demonic. They see them as historical figures. I don't know anyone who would look at them and fear them for any other reason than genuine fear, noting mythical of demonic. Unless I have missed something or your point??

And I think that it is a possibility one or two of them could have taken a lap top with them. Though I did just do a re-watch and the only piece of tech I could see them taking through the gate was the Kino and remote. At the most they may have taken a flash drive or something in their pockets, but I don't know.

Is there any way to do a 3 way kind of stone communication?

If they picked up the extra stones from Destiny, I like the idea of them leaving one of the pad things and a stone or two with the folks on Novus if they find anyone so that they could contact people on Earth and talk about heir technology.

stargeek123
April 21st, 2011, 07:04 AM
Even Eli could have taken his Iphone with him. Imagine with version of the Iphone they could have been on by now.

stargeek123
April 21st, 2011, 07:13 AM
Before the people on Novis died out could they have had the technology to dial Destiny from their planet? Even if Destiny was some distance from them?

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 21st, 2011, 08:37 AM
stargeek,

Even Eli could have taken his Iphone with him. Imagine with version of the Iphone they could have been on by now.

First, as others have pointed out it will take a very, very, long time for Novus to have the capacity to build tech like an Iphone even if they have one and someone who understands how it operates. Second, there's no guarantee Novus is rich or even has the materials necessary to reproduce something like an Iphone, or if it does that those materials are nearby and easily accessable to a society that will be using pickaxes (as best) to do its mining for quite a long time.

knowles2
April 21st, 2011, 10:36 AM
About Rush, he did not go to the colony, there no Kino footage of him as far as we know, he always avoids Eli attempts to film him.

It not hard to imagine that with all the other names in there history having faces attach that Rush with half the crew hating him evolve more as a legion and myth hated and feared by one side love by the other over the centuries.

garhkal
April 21st, 2011, 04:19 PM
Sorry if I have missed the point, but people don't see these figure as demonic. They see them as historical figures. I don't know anyone who would look at them and fear them for any other reason than genuine fear, noting mythical of demonic. Unless I have missed something or your point??

The point was, people's view changes through history, even with knowledge known.

And I think that it is a possibility one or two of them could have taken a lap top with them. Though I did just do a re-watch and the only piece of tech I could see them taking through the gate was the Kino and remote. At the most they may have taken a flash drive or something in their pockets, but I don't know.

Is there any way to do a 3 way kind of stone communication?

If they picked up the extra stones from Destiny, I like the idea of them leaving one of the pad things and a stone or two with the folks on Novus if they find anyone so that they could contact people on Earth and talk about heir technology.
I could have sworn i saw a few backpacks..

About Rush, he did not go to the colony, there no Kino footage of him as far as we know, he always avoids Eli attempts to film him.

True, there is that..

traylormatt
April 21st, 2011, 04:22 PM
The point was, people's view changes through history, even with knowledge known.

I could have sworn i saw a few backpacks..

True, there is that..

Yeah but we never think of a real figure as some mythical person do we? unles obviously some mythical figures DID actually exist and now we just assume they were mythical, but I suppose we can't get into that.

And no, I just rewatched because I thought they had packs and stuff but I didn't see any. Even the bag Eli had with him at the start of the scene was put down and not picked up again. Only people to have anything storage wise were the military and that was only things like their jackets, no bags or packs or anything.

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 22nd, 2011, 05:37 AM
Traylormatt,

And talking to the Romans/Chinese/or other civilaztions 2000 years ago about their technology would have helped the newly stranded crew, how? Additionally, until the Stones are discovered by the SG teams how will the stranded crew on Novus communicate with Earth even if they have the stones?

traylormatt
April 22nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Ser,

I meant today. So say if there are people still alive and well on Novus today. Not 2000 years ago. You know, in that dust covered city. I just thought it could be nice if they left a stone and a pad with them so they could talk to people on earth, all in the year 2011 not back in time.

Because when we went onto the twin destiny, they may have grabbed the extra set of stones that would be there you know.

Trinary
April 22nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Because when we went onto the twin destiny, they may have grabbed the extra set of stones that would be there you know.

Good thinking. I've was never thought that they will take those stones set while everyone was in hurry getting spare parts in a very short time.

If they use this set of stones, I think they will connected to our current timeline of SGC. SGC will tell them they was lost contact with the destiny after getting ready to make a connection with the destiny gate and Telford never arrive there.

garhkal
April 22nd, 2011, 11:56 PM
Yeah but we never think of a real figure as some mythical person do we? unles obviously some mythical figures DID actually exist and now we just assume they were mythical, but I suppose we can't get into that.

And no, I just rewatched because I thought they had packs and stuff but I didn't see any. Even the bag Eli had with him at the start of the scene was put down and not picked up again. Only people to have anything storage wise were the military and that was only things like their jackets, no bags or packs or anything.

I rewatched it myself last night.. i stand corrected on what was taken.