PDA

View Full Version : SGU Books?

Pecisk
April 19th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I know we all wanted new seasons or at least movies, but story (especially rich in detail as SGU one) could be finished as books, so I'm hoping that SGU community will push MGM to finish story in dead paper or at least e-book format. It isn't that expensive right?

Or not continuing Stargate franchise was political decision and nothing to do with money? That would explain lot of things.

KEK
April 19th, 2011, 03:13 AM
I know that Mallozzi has said he thinks it would be a great idea, but it doesn't look like any of the producers would really want to get involved in it. It would be great to hear Brads thoughts on a novel continuation, and whether he'd be willing to hand over his notes so that the story could be resolved.

Mr Evil 37
April 19th, 2011, 04:16 AM
The producers have never been a fan of the Stargate novels; they are not generally regarded as canon. If some SGU novels were written by the writers and producers of SGU and were regarded as canon then I would be interested; if not, then I'm out.

Pecisk
April 19th, 2011, 04:29 AM
The producers have never been a fan of the Stargate novels; they are not generally regarded as canon. If some SGU novels were written by the writers and producers of SGU and were regarded as canon then I would be interested; if not, then I'm out.

But that's exactly what I am talking about - strike the deal with MGM to let Brian and rest of bunch finish this story in all glory details in books. It's not like it will hurt MGM - hey, it could help us to give conclusion of SGU story and be with peace that SG story is over for now.

Mr Evil 37
April 19th, 2011, 04:39 AM
MGM might want to keep their options open when dealing with the franchise in the future. Plus books aren't as profitable as television series or movies. But then they do cost far less...

It would be cool, but I doubt it will happen.

Pecisk
April 19th, 2011, 04:46 AM
MGM might want to keep their options open when dealing with the franchise in the future. Plus books aren't as profitable as television series or movies. But then they do cost far less...

But how SGU story will continue then? It is quite separated from main branch, it has definitive ending in writers and producers minds, I think MGM has knowledge of it too. I don't see anyway how they will loose any any money doing this.

Mr Evil 37
April 19th, 2011, 05:04 AM
SGU's story won't continue; that's the point. You could say why hasn't Firefly been continued in novels? Or Terminator: TSCC? Or any number of cancelled TV shows. It's because more people watch television than read novels, and novels based on established franchises are not often very successful (Halo and Star Wars being notable exceptions). MGM might not lose money from it, but if they don't make a huge amount, they still won't take the risk.

KEK
April 19th, 2011, 05:05 AM

It could be a cost-effective way of keeping the fans interested during the hiatus. Then again they're being run by bankers, so we shouldn't expect might in the way of foresight.

Calluna
April 19th, 2011, 07:12 AM
SGU's story won't continue; that's the point. You could say why hasn't Firefly been continued in novels?

Because SGA and SG1 have quite a few novels between them with more planned, judging from that website? I know you've said they aren't canon and cost vs fan interest might be a factor, but it's not a silly question to wonder if MGM will comission someone to end the story in novel or graphic novel form. SGA has the apparently quite well received "Legacy" stories post EATG after all, even when the SGA movie was still on the table, so they don't seem to mind having different types of canon ala Lucasfilm.

Firefly/Serenity (and Buffy and Dollhouse) have all been continued in graphic novels which are basically considered canon by Joss Whedon and he's been involved with some of the stories as have his other writers.

Mr Evil 37
April 19th, 2011, 07:40 AM
That's the thing, the Serenity comics are made by Whedon and ARE canon. The SG-1 and Atlantis novels are NOT; they are basically published fan fiction. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea, I just highly doubt MGM would do it.

KEK
April 19th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Comics may be a good idea. That's something Brad or one of the other writers could do without taking too much time out, and without needing much experience in the format.

zainea13
April 19th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I read once that many of the books are in fact cannon. The one I read fits in well without any interruptions from the story.

Also, I think books is a perfect way to finish off SGU, it won't ever be picked up as SGU again, maybe a new stargate in years to come. But not SGU. So, I would like to know where they story would go from here.

Comics sell worse than books.

And why not organize (or reorganize existing campaigns) to get in touch with people and see if it would be a possibility.

Puddle-Jumper
April 19th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Ya it'd be great.. just for MGM to find a way to take the writers vision and finish the story somehow so we know how things would have ended

the fifth man
April 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I would support anything that allows the story of SGU to continue.

Replicator Todd
April 19th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Comics may be a good idea. That's something Brad or one of the other writers could do without taking too much time out, and without needing much experience in the format.

I would love something like that. It seems to be working with Farscape, Buffy, and Serenity!

Artemis-Neith
April 19th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I read once that many of the books are in fact cannon. The one I read fits in well without any interruptions from the story.

Also, I think books is a perfect way to finish off SGU, it won't ever be picked up as SGU again, maybe a new stargate in years to come. But not SGU. So, I would like to know where they story would go from here.

Comics sell worse than books.

And why not organize (or reorganize existing campaigns) to get in touch with people and see if it would be a possibility.

From my pov you're absolutely right. "Official" books get a prove from the company where the series is made, like those for ST, B5, and a lot of other series.

Over the years I've read books for ST: Voyager, ST: Enterprise, N-BSG, and Babylon 5. Some I liked, some were mediocre, and some were really good. All of them fitted into the series on TV. Stories of books are never part of the series on TV, or mentioned in them. Do people really expect this? Is that the reason, why people say they're not canon? Books, after TV series, exist for those people who love reading an additional story about their favorite series. And I do remember some really good books for Babylon 5, I'd say those books were better than the TV version (and one was definitely better than the TV-film made afterwards).

I also read fanfiction, and I'd say, those who say there is a similarity between fanfiction and official books, written by professional writers, have never read fanfiction, or never read one of those books. Because they are so not alike. Fanfictions are not made by professionals, and I don't want to go further here, cos most of you can imagine what that means. Most Fanfinctions are very short, often drabbles, or some kind of short stories, that's fine, but it's by far not a book. Fanfictions are very often AU. Fanfiction writers can write their characters as they want them to be, I guess you also understand the implication here. A lot of fanfictions never see the end of the story (uh, that's what they have in common with TV products!). And the list goes further and further.

A last question: why can't an official book, written after a guideline of the original writers of the series, not be canon, if there's no series anymore to proof it non-canon?

Skiznot
April 20th, 2011, 09:17 AM
To support this idea I went on Amazon and bought the novelization of "Air." There were only three new copies left when I did. SGU was such a literary style show with episodes more like chapters that I think it would translate well. Comics not so much IMO. I could see it working with something like Farscape but that show is a little more cartoony. I'm happy to be proven wrong. If they do I hope it's high quality art and not scratchy drawings.

zainea13
April 20th, 2011, 09:26 AM
To support this idea I went on Amazon and bought the novelization of "Air." There were only three new copies left when I did. SGU was such a literary style show with episodes more like chapters that I think it would translate well. Comics not so much IMO. I could see it working with something like Farscape but that show is a little more cartoony. I'm happy to be proven wrong. If they do I hope it's high quality art and not scratchy drawings.

Woah! Farscape is not cartoony! Just because they have animatronics instead of CGI for all the characters doesn't make it cartoony!

But, I think in general comic books don't work. For one, they are often written in separate series, rather than one continuing storyline. And also, they have an association with kids, and aren't seen as an adult medium. Whereas books are. That's why I would prefer a book. Not because SGU is too sophisticated for comics.

I mean look at it this way. You take a comic book to read on your lunch break, people laugh at you. You take a book, people think you are smart or something.

KEK
April 20th, 2011, 10:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuFNZJe6PSM

Skiznot
April 20th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Sorry didn't mean to side track the thread. I just meant Farscape was more flamboyant with costumes and colors and each of the characters is very different from each other physically whereas SGU is a group of regular people in plain clothes. I found Farscape a little hyper-kinetic and melodramatic for my tastes but that doesn't say anything about the depth of the stories or characters.