PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't they just...

Joachim
April 18th, 2011, 10:01 PM
If the colonists were going to be such a drain on resources, why didn't they just put them in the stasis pods?

darkthunder84
April 18th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Does Destiny have enough power reserves to sustain 300 people in stasis pods? Not to mention, does it even HAVE 300 stasis pods?

BadOnion
April 18th, 2011, 10:04 PM
they very may well end up doing that

tomaso88
April 18th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Does Destiny have enough power reserves to sustain 300 people in stasis pods? Not to mention, does it even HAVE 300 stasis pods?

I doubt the stasis pods use that much power and I would think the amount would be able to last the week and by that time they would find a new sun to go in

Joachim
April 18th, 2011, 10:09 PM
doesn't matter if there is enough for all, the fact that there should be enough for some would be hugely beneficial.

Greenfire32
April 18th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Can we assure them nothing bad will happen to them while they're in our care without lying to their faces?

Nope.

KEK
April 18th, 2011, 10:55 PM
As far as we know, only Rush, Brody, Eli and Chloe are aware of them. Considering what happened (from their perspective) I doubt Eli, Brody or Chloe would suggest it, and Rush didn't seem to want them there in the first place.

D Toccs
April 18th, 2011, 11:16 PM
A better question is, if the settlers were going to put so much strain on the CO2 scrubbers, that by the time they disembarked, Destiny would be back where it started ie. needing more Lime.

Why wouldn't they just pack extra Lime and have some spare?

morbosfist
April 18th, 2011, 11:35 PM
A better question is, if the settlers were going to put so much strain on the CO2 scrubbers, that by the time they disembarked, Destiny would be back where it started ie. needing more Lime.

Why wouldn't they just pack extra Lime and have some spare?Because they were on the clock and could only find that much.

Esquin
April 19th, 2011, 12:05 AM

Why wouldn't they just pack extra Lime and have some spare?

OR

Why not just fly to the Novus and check things out then use the gate on Destiny to report back. Or are we expected to believe that Destiny's gate has a shorter range than every other gate in the network? There were so many things in this episode that bugged me, so i'm basically calling it. The writers are that out of touch with the show's history that canceling it was the best thing that could of happened. They've lost the wild solutions to impossible situations that made the show great.

Goodbye Stargate. You were great once.

KEK
April 19th, 2011, 12:07 AM
OR

Why not just fly to the Novus and check things out then use the gate on Destiny to report back. Or are we expected to believe that Destiny's gate has a shorter range than every other gate in the network?

Uh, isn't that what they planned to do before they were attacked?

Esquin
April 19th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Uh, isn't that what they planned to do before they were attacked?

Listen to it again if you can. They specifically talk about using the Novus gate if it can be repaired. The whole reason Eli pushes for taking the people with them is because of the implication that if the Novus gate or Novus itself is gone they won't be able to tell these people. Thats a huge point of tension and the only reason they originally want to bring them along, because if the Novus gate is unrepairable then they can't bring the people through.

But yeah, DESTINY HAS A GATE!

Mr Evil 37
April 19th, 2011, 12:52 AM
You guys seem to forget that back in season one people were left behind on planets because Destiny's gate range is a lot shorter than the Milky Way and Pegasus. The only reason the ship can dial Earth is because the gate address has a ninth chevron; that is not so with the gates in the rest of the Destiny network. Given that Novus was a week away, it is almost impossible that the gate would still have been in range. Remember all the planet hopping in "Lost"?

So, the writer's didn't forget the shows history. You just can't remember that history. Stop picking holes that aren't there and just enjoy one of the best episodes of the entire series.

And on the stasis pod question, I highly doubt that there were enough pods for the entire Novus expedition; there were only a dozen or so in the room we saw and Brody said that there were two more of those rooms going off in either direction, so that makes about thirty six pods overall. While I agree it would have made some difference to the supply issue, it would also have used up a quite a large amount of power and given Destiny's currently damaged state, that would not have been a very good idea.

Esquin
April 19th, 2011, 01:01 AM
You guys seem to forget that back in season one people were left behind on planets because Destiny's gate range is a lot shorter than the Milky Way and Pegasus. The only reason the ship can dial Earth is because the gate address has a ninth chevron; that is not so with the gates in the rest of the Destiny network. Given that Novus was a week away, it is almost impossible that the gate would still have been in range. Remember all the planet hopping in "Lost"?

They gated to the planet they were at from Novus. Novus is obviously in range.

Mr Evil 37
April 19th, 2011, 01:08 AM
They gated to the planet they were at from Novus. Novus is obviously in range.

They never said that. They said that they used the "gate network" to get there (I believe). Again, do you not remember the planet hopping?

thekillman
April 19th, 2011, 03:38 AM
gate hopping works.

as to the limited range of Destiny, i believe it has to do with the limitation of the gates themselves. gates need two-way contact to establish and maintain a wormhole. when two gates connect, they constantly communicate. Destiny's gate can, but the dialled gate can not communicate that far. MW gates CAN.

as to the Novus thing:

obviously Novus isn't in range, Eli wasn't even sure if they could reach Destiny with their morse while novus was, and i quote "on our path"

morrismike
April 19th, 2011, 04:12 AM
If they can stay at the city for a while, then supplies will never be an issue again. A quick trip to the Ace Hardware or Lowes and they've got a lifetime supply of quicklime. Better yet, get some piping and build a proper MEA scrubber. I'm thinking that Destiny leave for a while and allow a foraging team to assemble some goodies. Let destiny get a good distance away and dial a gate just prior to jumping back to the planet. Keep the drones busy in the other direction and pick up the goodies. If they have 3 or 4 engineers on the foraging team they'd assemble a sweet care package to keep destiny going. Let's not forget the guns either, hit a military base and get some goodies for the armory.

sholva1
April 19th, 2011, 05:29 AM
that is a major drain of power

morbosfist
April 19th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Novus was always in range. The issue was that, should Novus be inaccessible for whatever reason, they would have no way to care for the entire group.

Kaiphantom
April 19th, 2011, 07:38 AM
There were tons of pods. JM said it would be a plot point coming up, so I can only imagine that they will be used (and thus work).

Power isn't an issue, people. Remember the whole "can dip into a star when you need to" thing? The only possible way it might become an issue, is when they travel between galaxies again. It was only a week to the planet. Keeping some people frozen for a week shouldn't have been a big issue.

And lastly, yes, I did expect someone like Rush to bring it up, as a way to get around the CO2 scrubber issue. vVery surprised it wasn't, and possibly the only weak part of the episode.

Shylodog
April 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM
They never said that. They said that they used the "gate network" to get there (I believe). Again, do you not remember the planet hopping?

However, there were only two gates according to Destiny. With the information we were given - Two gates within range, one connectible; the other, not - we have to assume that the unavailable one is Novus. Unless there was a number of catastorphies on each planet the Novans visited, we were basicly left to assume that Novus was the other gate.

The_Asgard_live
April 19th, 2011, 07:56 AM

So, the writer's didn't forget the shows history. You just can't remember that history. Stop picking holes that aren't there and just enjoy one of the best episodes of the entire series.

So far as I know from the various series, Gates dialing distance is dependent on how much power you can channel into it. Structurally (the gate itself, not the computer dialing device attached to it), is there any difference between the gate on Destiny and those on the planets?

Puddle-Jumper
April 19th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Id imagine it was a power issue in the end

Mr Evil 37
April 19th, 2011, 12:27 PM
However, there were only two gates according to Destiny. With the information we were given - Two gates within range, one connectible; the other, not - we have to assume that the unavailable one is Novus. Unless there was a number of catastorphies on each planet the Novans visited, we were basicly left to assume that Novus was the other gate.

Ah, I forgot about the locked out gate. Yes, that must be Novus. I wish they had explained that.

thekillman
April 19th, 2011, 01:56 PM
that wasn't novus.

the signal Eli used to connect Destiny is what the gates use to communicate and thus their range. Eli wasn't even sure they would still be in range when they sent it.

thus, novus lies out of range. quite a bit.

if the gate issue is power, the Novians have the power to extend it.

if the gate issue is communication, they can boost the signal.

thus Novus, being advanced, would be able to straight out dial the colony

General Jumper One
April 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM
You are all forgetting that fact we can not use the gate without alerting the DRONES to our position

Esquin
April 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM
You are all forgetting that fact we can not use the gate without alerting the DRONES to our position

Irrelevant. We didn't know that until after they'd made the decision to leave them behind and just abandon them. Given the information we have there is no reason they couldn't travel to Novus and then use Destiny's gate to dial back. None at all. There are 2 solutions to this debate.

Either Novus was out of range and they just did a really poor job of explaining that. But this is clearly wrong because they intended to tryand use the Novus gate to contact the planet. No mention of gate hoping was made.

Or Novus was in range and they forgot Destiny had a gate.

Either way really poor writing on their part.

Graybrew1
April 19th, 2011, 04:52 PM
They might also end up needing to use those for themselves.

garhkal
April 19th, 2011, 06:12 PM

Along with would they even consent to being placed IN those pods??

Because they were on the clock and could only find that much.

Along with maybe they got all the lime the planet had in that area.

Perhaps... one wonders though if we showed the locals the addy for that other planet, and whether they would have recognized it.

mjwalshe
April 22nd, 2011, 06:56 AM
they very may well end up doing that

yep I am sure that having shown us the pods they would get used at some point

Dr. Carter
April 22nd, 2011, 07:17 AM
If the colonists were going to be such a drain on resources, why didn't they just put them in the stasis pods? What do you think will happen in the next episode? "Stargate: Universe" is slow and predictable.

Nth Chevron
April 22nd, 2011, 08:31 AM
What do you think will happen in the next episode? "Stargate: Universe" is slow and predictable.

IF it is predictable. then what WILL happen next episode and what do you predict for the whole scope of the show?

N.C

beafly
May 16th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Not mentioning the use/reason_not_to_use the stasis pods as a work-around to the C02 problem bothered me as well.

For that matter, they should be using them on a regular basis at this point to lower the operating costs of the ship in general. Anyone not actively engaged in something should be taking a cold nap.

I also agree that Novus is a treasure trove and they'd be well served by spending some time looping the Destiny back and forth between the sun in that system and the planet to scavenge for resources and make repairs.

They will have semi decent (30 year old) intelligence from the refugees on locations of equipment, geography, the city's layout. Can use the shuttle / suits for EVA to the planet to gather supplies and ferry them back to the Destiny.

They could put anyone not involved in recovery/repair in stasis until everything is operational.

And provided they are truly hidden unless they use the gate, they should be able to do so indefinitely.

If they had to... they should spend literally years affecting repairs to the Destiny and building up supplies.

garhkal
May 16th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Maybe they don't do that, as it might damage the pods..