PDA

View Full Version : "Common Descent" Favorite Scenes/Quotes/Moments/Awkward Descendant Meetings

s09119
April 18th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Best episode so far? Quite possibly, IMO.

So what were the best moments of the masterpiece?

morbosfist
April 18th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Gate damage, no question. Seeing the icon of the series get a piece blasted off it was a surprising sight.

themeatcleaver
April 18th, 2011, 07:39 PM
there was a subtle quote from Greer when Scott(?) told him nice shot. I cant remember what it was but it was something to the effect of "bring em on!"

s09119
April 18th, 2011, 07:46 PM
"It's a font!", particularly when Park said it annoyedly toward the end, had me in stitches every time.

Replicator Todd
April 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM
-seeing the Stargate being used. I just found it odd that "The Hunt" took place on a planet and not have a Stargate scene of any sort.

-seeing the Stargate damaged. Wow. Epic.

-seeing the City at the end. I was expecting a volcanic mess.

Starsaber
April 18th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Chloe to Eli - "You played a lot of SimCity as a kid, didn't you?"

Volker or Brody (always get those two mixed up) - "Let me guess. Rush-a?"

blueray
April 18th, 2011, 08:09 PM
the reaction to rush being a religious figure.

the different names on the planet lol.

and i agree:

Chloe: "You played a lot of SimCity as a kid, didn't you?"
eli: "more like simearth"

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
April 18th, 2011, 08:19 PM
the drone attack on the planet. that was epic. it felt like a classical stargate episode.

jsunski
April 18th, 2011, 08:22 PM
the drone attack on the planet. that was epic. it felt like a classical stargate episode.

Also felt like the beginning of SGA on Teyla's homeworld.

m626
April 18th, 2011, 08:37 PM
It was nice to see Camille and Greer hugging after seeing the shuttles arrive. Not too long ago those two hated each other.

Hohenzollern
April 18th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I loved all of it. i thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I was definitely in Eli's camp; expressing his frustration at the others lack of enthusiasm.

It was interesting that Brody was shown to have sided with Rush. He is trustworthy in general; but "Futura"! He became very sullen in this episode. In the past it seems he would husband his opinions; but he clearly has sided with Rush when Rush insisted that dialing the gate while in the Carona of a star was dangerous. Now he knows..and the others know where he would have stood..not absolutely but .in the possibility presented by this going back in time and its events.

His other self; would have held that view. Perhaps he was thinking of that again; either with internal conflict to himself...or uncomfortable that it is now obvious to the others.

Why was Rush standoffish about the whole thing? Was he, like Brody, also uncomfortable about the implications?

Interesting some of the people on the planet were of obvious Asian descent. Did the character Wray find someone else emotionally or did she simply procreate for the needed genetic diversity? Out of a duty to the group?

I was a bit surprised Young and Johansen had a child. What happened to the LA people? Did not Varro make it? (Still bent about Gin getting killed off weeks ago). This fact affected Johansen greatly and it was obvious she was trying to reach out to Col Young afterward; in a conflicted way but still a reach out.

SimEarth? Giving Eli benefit of the doubt...say his dropping out of his first year at M.I.T. was not very recent...let's say he is 23? 24? He would have been three years old when Sim Earth was released. Sure there was a SimCity released in 2003 or thereabouts.

What he really would have played? Civ. Civ4! The initial Civilization release also would have been when he was a tyke..but Civ has "stood the test of time"; and been in a few re-incarnations since. They essentially duplicated a Civ game on that planet. Started with settlers and built cities and high tech.

I was pleased they evacuated some of the people from the colony planet. What of the other two settlements? I assume they were evacuated in relays once Destiny returned with the two shuttles.

Couldn't they have just taken MORE carbon before setting out...to re-replenish the scrubbers after the evacuees debarked? Which it seems they may not? Could there be something of use toward that end in such vast cities on Navos?

So...a super volcano on the planet...tectonic stresses caused by the blackhole/collapsar entering that star system /shrug. Ok. Where is the planet's population? Did they all evacuate through the gate? Couldn't they have got word to the colonies at the start of such an evacuation?

Did the drones get there first? How advanced is their society? We still don't know who built the drones /cough.

For that matter could this have happened before...duplicates traveling back in time...or the future. We may yet find the "Faith" aliens are descended from related to the Destiny Crew. That society could have evolved in the future...ascended...explored time...or be able to perceive time in a non linear fashion. That aside; could the Faith aliens have acted on behalf of this civilization? If they were related...this would give them a reason to do so.

SyFy seems to be adding insult to mortal injury but moving SGU's time slot yet again. I had to command the cable box to start the episode over; discovering it had started 50" previous when I thought I was tuning in 10" prior to start.

I enjoyed this episode immensely. These people, rather some (few) of them; could join the crew; provide technology and insight.

edit: Too bad they only went back in time 2000+/- years. (This one instance?). The crew of the Destiny could have been the ancestors of the ancients themselves. Both human....knowledge can be warped or misconstrued over time. The original crew (versions of) may yet travel in through time...or their alternates or their descendents of alternates.
The Ancients may or may not have evolved in the same galaxy which the Ori inhabited. A self fulfilling timeline(s).

darkthunder84
April 18th, 2011, 10:15 PM
My biggest shock (and annoyance), was seeing the gate get partially destroyed. Previous Stargate(s) have all required a MASSIVE explosion to even come close to denting a gate. The element that the gate is built out of (Naquadah) requires an explosion by a force equivalent to a Mark IX nuclear weapon (aka Gatebuster), or higher.

We've seen enemy craft impact at/near a gate in the past, such as the case in SG-1's '48 hours' when Teal'c got trapped inside the gate system. Tannis ship crashed into the gate, and prematurely severed the connection (trapping Teal'c inside). No mention of the gate's destruction, but then again, they never dialed out in that episode since doing that would've "erased" Teal'c.

Overall a very good episode, but left a whole lot of unanswered (never to be answered) questions. Unless the next 3 episodes all relate to this one, and tries to answer some of the questions, we might never know what happened and why.

morbosfist
April 18th, 2011, 10:32 PM
My biggest shock (and annoyance), was seeing the gate get partially destroyed. Previous Stargate(s) have all required a MASSIVE explosion to even come close to denting a gate. The element that the gate is built out of (Naquadah) requires an explosion by a force equivalent to a Mark IX nuclear weapon (aka Gatebuster), or higher.

We've seen enemy craft impact at/near a gate in the past, such as the case in SG-1's '48 hours' when Teal'c got trapped inside the gate system. Tannis ship crashed into the gate, and prematurely severed the connection (trapping Teal'c inside). No mention of the gate's destruction, but then again, they never dialed out in that episode since doing that would've "erased" Teal'c.So much complaining about this fact. Look, this isn't a difficult concept to get. There's a Game Boy out that survived a bombing. It still works, even if its frame is melted. I guarantee if you stuck a handgun to that thing and pulled the trigger, it'd break. Same here. Gates have survived massive, unfocused explosions, not directed weapons fire. Gates were destroyed by a single drone in Atlantis, and here the energy weapon got a clean hit, a weapon it must be said is meant to puncture spacecraft armor.

KEK
April 18th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I think the more obvious explanation is that these gates are far less advanced than the ones in the Milky Way and Pegasus. They're clearly nor made of the same materials as the more recent gates, and because they don't go as far they probably don't need as much energy, and thus don't need to me made from Naquadah.

Mr Evil 37
April 19th, 2011, 01:24 AM
The space battle at the start was one of the show's best; very exciting, with some great shots of the Destiny's energy cannons.

The scenes with Brody and Volker were hilarious: "Rush-a", "Futura", "Novus Mundus" etc. People who say SGU isn't funny have no idea what they are talking about, I actually think it's more laugh out loud funny than SG-1 and Atlantis. Those shows were rarely ACTUALLY funny (i.e. caused laughter) and were usually cringe-worthy. The only genuinely funny scene I can think of is the "Colonel, Colonel, Colonels, Colonels," "Seriously?" scene.

The Kino footage that Eli watched was also touching, especially for TJ, but also for Eli himself; I think it was nice for him to know that if it came down to it, he could start a family if he wanted to.

The evacuation scene was pretty memorable, but my favourite scene in the episode I think was when the two shuttles soared down; I was actually elated and had a huge grin on my face. It's moments like that when I remember that the show is cancelled... :(

Egle01
April 19th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Drones appearing again. Did not see that one coming.
Eli panicking out loud.
Annoyed Rush. :)
Eli being so fascinated. Helped me to get excited too.
TJ watching as her other self gives birth. And it was Young's child! Really fought hard to keep back the tears.
Drones attacking the settlement. Felt like good old days, when death gliders attacked poor villages.
Gate getting hit, and realizing the drones had followed us thanks to gate usage. Clever.
Seeing the city. Very impressive.

I loved this episode!

thekillman
April 19th, 2011, 03:45 AM
the only things bugging me were that Varro didn't go with TJ and the problem of genetic diversity.

the rest? it was awesome

MattSilver 3k
April 19th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Greer: "Betty seems nice."

spinny magee
April 19th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Best Episode of the season, hell just as good as Time.

Each episode has got better...........at this rate the finale will blow my brains out the window

Also, i could imagine Greer working in a Nursing Home after The Betty Encounter

icsteffi
April 19th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Eli: "Common, and I the only person here that thinks this is the coolest thing ever??"

I think it's the coolest thing ever! I was really annoyed at Rush. This type of thing seems right up his alley. Well, I thought. I loved that it was up Wray's alley though! She seemed SO happy when meeting the descendants. Her genuine smile is so sweet. :)

KEK
April 19th, 2011, 05:58 AM
"He said awesome!"

Commander Zelix
April 19th, 2011, 05:59 AM
It was interesting that Brody was shown to have sided with Rush.
Brody's disproportionate embarrassment and Rush's detachment were actually nice unsaid subplots and scenes. They turned out to be right after all.

Egle01
April 19th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Few more -

One of the drones getting hit and the crashing onto the right side of the Destiny.
Chloe standing behind TJ and showing her support, when they watched the recording.

Mr Evil 37
April 19th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I really liked the shot at the beginning which was almost from the perspective of one of the energy cannons as it destroyed a drone.

The Destiny
April 19th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Man, I had chills during the last 2-3 minutes when they descend to Novus and see the city. Chills! Even though it's hot outside!

I loved the ancient kino footage where they start building etc.

Space battles, amazing as usual

Drones attack the planet. Great stuff. What I really liked as well was that the drones destroyed all advanced technology ( generators, beacon, the stargate ) and then left again.

land of the young, or 'land of Young' , haha.
Rus(h)sia... that was great xD

Perelandra
April 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM
LOL'd at Brody/Volker thinking each other's idea of a founding name(Futura, Novus Mundus) was stupid.

"Futura is a font"-Park.

kimmyg
April 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Loved the Futura is a font lines from Park & Volver. LOL.
Loved the Kino footage especially TJ/Young baby birth. Young was so excited.
Loved the Gate being damaged - moral dilemma for Young to decide - stay or go - leave team behind.
Park being real .. she was afraid when Drones initially attacked then shocked when Young told her to jump, and mad when Young sided with Rush.

Starsaber
April 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Chloe standing behind TJ and showing her support, when they watched the recording.

When I saw that scene I was sure alternate TJ was going to die during the birth. The reactions just gave me a feeling that something bad was going to happen on the video.

Shylodog
April 19th, 2011, 01:44 PM
When I saw that scene I was sure alternate TJ was going to die during the birth. The reactions just gave me a feeling that something bad was going to happen on the video.

Or that the baby was going to die. For just a split second I feared that would be the outcome, especially when there was a pause in the baby's crying. I'm so glad that didn't happen. Prolly cause I've got 4 kids of my own. :P

Nth Chevron
April 19th, 2011, 03:04 PM

I got that feeling too, i nearly switched it off because i didnt wanna know, glad it turned out well :)

Also, Eli's only regret being that his Mother would never meet her grandkids or see the kind of man he has grown to be from the lazy gamer, was a line that made me smile. Eli, although he said it was his dream for something like what happened to him, i dont think he envisaged being stuck on Destiny where it was. Tbh, out of all the characters in SG-verse i think Eli got the rawest end of the stick when it came to his SG adventure. Granted Shepperds was the same in circumstance, but do to personal problems he didnt really have anyone back home to miss and pine over.

N.C

garhkal
April 19th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Gate damage, no question. Seeing the icon of the series get a piece blasted off it was a surprising sight.

Loved it.

Chloe to Eli - "You played a lot of SimCity as a kid, didn't you?"

Empire earth, civ.. Many games emulate that.

Volker or Brody (always get those two mixed up) - "Let me guess. Rush-a?"

That was funny as heck!

the reaction to rush being a religious figure.

Especially Wray's comment "lets not tell him"

It was nice to see Camille and Greer hugging after seeing the shuttles arrive. Not too long ago those two hated each other.

With all those 2 went through in Alliances, i was hoping we would see how that bonding they made would go over..

His other self; would have held that view. Perhaps he was thinking of that again; either with internal conflict to himself...or uncomfortable that it is now obvious to the others.

Perhaps it is he finally realizes that rush IS their head guy and acts accordingly..

Why was Rush standoffish about the whole thing? Was he, like Brody, also uncomfortable about the implications?

Most likely. He stayed as cautious as he was from last week.

Interesting some of the people on the planet were of obvious Asian descent. Did the character Wray find someone else emotionally or did she simply procreate for the needed genetic diversity? Out of a duty to the group?

More than likely it was for the 'common good'.. as being one of the few females of child bearing age, she would have had to do her part.

Couldn't they have just taken MORE carbon before setting out...to re-replenish the scrubbers after the evacuees debarked? Which it seems they may not? Could there be something of use toward that end in such vast cities on Navos?

Perhaps that was all they could get. Or that when the shuttles came back they got more?

True, but remember, these are prototype gates, and who knows if they are even made of Naquida..

Drones appearing again. Did not see that one coming.

One of the previews of the ep did show the destiny's beginning battle''.. so i was expecting it. BUT not them showing up on the planet.

With her losing one child previously, it was great the amt of support they all seemed to show her, even if it was in the past some 2000 yrs.

Drones attack the planet. Great stuff. What I really liked as well was that the drones destroyed all advanced technology ( generators, beacon, the stargate ) and then left again.

Not really.. They did stay around to shoot the people as well, but maybe that 'was an after thought" of them strafing the gate.
Though it was surprising one of their rifles took one down.

dgh64
April 20th, 2011, 01:05 AM
I liked the ship battle scenes. And ejecting the captured drone into space, and then blasting it was awesome.

The TJ giving birth scene reminded me of the episode of Lost when Kate helped Claire deliver her baby.

I wish I knew who alternate-Eli ended up with. He said he wished his mom could see her grandchildren, but he never mentioned who the mother was.

Rylor
April 20th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Scenes/Moments
The battle with the drones. Great to see they were not a one-time threat.
The damaged gate was an interesting sight.
TJ watching herself giving birth. Alaina Huffman did a great job.
Shuttles to the rescue!
The city on Novus was very impressive.
Rush meeting the people of Novus on the bridge was priceless :D I love the idea that he became a mythological figure (savior for some, demon for others)

Dialogue
Ellie: "You're Matthew Scott. And you're Ronald Greer"
Scott: *Points his gun at Ellie* How do you know our names?!"
Chloe: "You played a lot of Sim City as a kid, didn't you?"
Eli: "Actually, this is more like Sim Earth"
Eli: "Destroying that drone only helps us if we make it to the next jump, assuming that's how they tracked us in the first place"
(Rush throws him a look)
Eli: "Sorry, just panicking out loud."
Bettie: "You're even more handsome in person."
Greer: "Bettie seems nice"
Eli: "They thought Rush was still onboard Destiny and would one day come and rescue them. Eventually he became some sort of savior figure. They broke off and formed a country of their own"
Brody: "Let me guess: 'Rush-a'?"
Volker: "That's funny"
Eli: "They called it 'Futura'"
Volker: "Really?!"
Brody: "What's wrong with 'Futura'?"
Volker: "It's a dumb name!"
Brody: "Yeah, how is it dumb?"
:D
Brody: "Mundus?!"
Volker: "Yeah. It's Ancient for 'world'. Novus Mundus, new world"
Brody: "It sounds stupid"
Volker: "Yeah, and 'Futura' sounds cool?!"
Brody: "Yeah, obviously it's a matter of opinion"
Park: "It's a font!"

I loved the music in the episode, SGU has a very good soundtrack.

garhkal
April 20th, 2011, 08:01 PM
IT was strange to see brody say that about it being stupid, then eli commenting it was HIM who came up with it.

Gollumpus
April 20th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I figured Rush's aloofness had to do with the fact that he was not part of this new world (Rush hadn't made it through the gate) and as such he viewed current events as yet another threat to the completion of "the Mission".

regards,
G.

Shylodog
April 21st, 2011, 07:43 AM
IT was strange to see brody say that about it being stupid, then eli commenting it was HIM who came up with it.

Volker is the one who said it was "dumb" just before Eli said Brody came up with it.

traylormatt
April 21st, 2011, 08:11 AM
Favorite quote:

Yaozu: Will you sit?

Matt: Sure, why not.

Eli: Sitting's good (then I am pretty sure he says "dumb" a few seconds later to himself)

What a fantastic genius IQ vocab you have there Eli. When prompted to sit - "sitting's good" made me laugh.

garhkal
April 21st, 2011, 04:15 PM
Volker is the one who said it was "dumb" just before Eli said Brody came up with it.

Thanks for the clarification.