"Common Descent" Favorite Scenes/Quotes/Moments/Awkward Descendant Meetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Common Descent" Favorite Scenes/Quotes/Moments/Awkward Descendant Meetings

Best episode so far? Quite possibly, IMO.

So what were the best moments of the masterpiece?
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Gate damage, no question. Seeing the icon of the series get a piece blasted off it was a surprising sight.

Comment

there was a subtle quote from Greer when Scott(?) told him nice shot. I cant remember what it was but it was something to the effect of "bring em on!"

Comment

"It's a font!", particularly when Park said it annoyedly toward the end, had me in stitches every time.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

-seeing the Stargate being used. I just found it odd that "The Hunt" took place on a planet and not have a Stargate scene of any sort.

-seeing the Stargate damaged. Wow. Epic.

-seeing the City at the end. I was expecting a volcanic mess.

Comment

Chloe to Eli - "You played a lot of SimCity as a kid, didn't you?"

Volker or Brody (always get those two mixed up) - "Let me guess. Rush-a?"

Comment

the reaction to rush being a religious figure.

the different names on the planet lol.

and i agree:

Chloe: "You played a lot of SimCity as a kid, didn't you?"
              eli: "more like simearth"
              sigpic

Comment

the drone attack on the planet. that was epic. it felt like a classical stargate episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                  the drone attack on the planet. that was epic. it felt like a classical stargate episode.
                  Also felt like the beginning of SGA on Teyla's homeworld.

Comment

It was nice to see Camille and Greer hugging after seeing the shuttles arrive. Not too long ago those two hated each other.

Comment

I loved all of it. i thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I was definitely in Eli's camp; expressing his frustration at the others lack of enthusiasm.

It was interesting that Brody was shown to have sided with Rush. He is trustworthy in general; but "Futura"! He became very sullen in this episode. In the past it seems he would husband his opinions; but he clearly has sided with Rush when Rush insisted that dialing the gate while in the Carona of a star was dangerous. Now he knows..and the others know where he would have stood..not absolutely but .in the possibility presented by this going back in time and its events.

His other self; would have held that view. Perhaps he was thinking of that again; either with internal conflict to himself...or uncomfortable that it is now obvious to the others.

Why was Rush standoffish about the whole thing? Was he, like Brody, also uncomfortable about the implications?

Interesting some of the people on the planet were of obvious Asian descent. Did the character Wray find someone else emotionally or did she simply procreate for the needed genetic diversity? Out of a duty to the group?

I was a bit surprised Young and Johansen had a child. What happened to the LA people? Did not Varro make it? (Still bent about Gin getting killed off weeks ago). This fact affected Johansen greatly and it was obvious she was trying to reach out to Col Young afterward; in a conflicted way but still a reach out.

SimEarth? Giving Eli benefit of the doubt...say his dropping out of his first year at M.I.T. was not very recent...let's say he is 23? 24? He would have been three years old when Sim Earth was released. Sure there was a SimCity released in 2003 or thereabouts.

What he really would have played? Civ. Civ4! The initial Civilization release also would have been when he was a tyke..but Civ has "stood the test of time"; and been in a few re-incarnations since. They essentially duplicated a Civ game on that planet. Started with settlers and built cities and high tech.

I was pleased they evacuated some of the people from the colony planet. What of the other two settlements? I assume they were evacuated in relays once Destiny returned with the two shuttles.

Couldn't they have just taken MORE carbon before setting out...to re-replenish the scrubbers after the evacuees debarked? Which it seems they may not? Could there be something of use toward that end in such vast cities on Navos?

So...a super volcano on the planet...tectonic stresses caused by the blackhole/collapsar entering that star system /shrug. Ok. Where is the planet's population? Did they all evacuate through the gate? Couldn't they have got word to the colonies at the start of such an evacuation?

Did the drones get there first? How advanced is their society? We still don't know who built the drones /cough.

For that matter could this have happened before...duplicates traveling back in time...or the future. We may yet find the "Faith" aliens are descended from related to the Destiny Crew. That society could have evolved in the future...ascended...explored time...or be able to perceive time in a non linear fashion. That aside; could the Faith aliens have acted on behalf of this civilization? If they were related...this would give them a reason to do so.

SyFy seems to be adding insult to mortal injury but moving SGU's time slot yet again. I had to command the cable box to start the episode over; discovering it had started 50" previous when I thought I was tuning in 10" prior to start.

I enjoyed this episode immensely. These people, rather some (few) of them; could join the crew; provide technology and insight.

edit: Too bad they only went back in time 2000+/- years. (This one instance?). The crew of the Destiny could have been the ancestors of the ancients themselves. Both human....knowledge can be warped or misconstrued over time. The original crew (versions of) may yet travel in through time...or their alternates or their descendents of alternates.
                      The Ancients may or may not have evolved in the same galaxy which the Ori inhabited. A self fulfilling timeline(s).
                      Last edited by Hohenzollern; 18 April 2011, 09:11 PM.
                      "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

My biggest shock (and annoyance), was seeing the gate get partially destroyed. Previous Stargate(s) have all required a MASSIVE explosion to even come close to denting a gate. The element that the gate is built out of (Naquadah) requires an explosion by a force equivalent to a Mark IX nuclear weapon (aka Gatebuster), or higher.

We've seen enemy craft impact at/near a gate in the past, such as the case in SG-1's '48 hours' when Teal'c got trapped inside the gate system. Tannis ship crashed into the gate, and prematurely severed the connection (trapping Teal'c inside). No mention of the gate's destruction, but then again, they never dialed out in that episode since doing that would've "erased" Teal'c.

Overall a very good episode, but left a whole lot of unanswered (never to be answered) questions. Unless the next 3 episodes all relate to this one, and tries to answer some of the questions, we might never know what happened and why.

Comment

Originally posted by darkthunder84 View Post
                          My biggest shock (and annoyance), was seeing the gate get partially destroyed. Previous Stargate(s) have all required a MASSIVE explosion to even come close to denting a gate. The element that the gate is built out of (Naquadah) requires an explosion by a force equivalent to a Mark IX nuclear weapon (aka Gatebuster), or higher.

We've seen enemy craft impact at/near a gate in the past, such as the case in SG-1's '48 hours' when Teal'c got trapped inside the gate system. Tannis ship crashed into the gate, and prematurely severed the connection (trapping Teal'c inside). No mention of the gate's destruction, but then again, they never dialed out in that episode since doing that would've "erased" Teal'c.
                          So much complaining about this fact. Look, this isn't a difficult concept to get. There's a Game Boy out that survived a bombing. It still works, even if its frame is melted. I guarantee if you stuck a handgun to that thing and pulled the trigger, it'd break. Same here. Gates have survived massive, unfocused explosions, not directed weapons fire. Gates were destroyed by a single drone in Atlantis, and here the energy weapon got a clean hit, a weapon it must be said is meant to puncture spacecraft armor.

Comment

I think the more obvious explanation is that these gates are far less advanced than the ones in the Milky Way and Pegasus. They're clearly nor made of the same materials as the more recent gates, and because they don't go as far they probably don't need as much energy, and thus don't need to me made from Naquadah.

Comment

The space battle at the start was one of the show's best; very exciting, with some great shots of the Destiny's energy cannons.

The scenes with Brody and Volker were hilarious: "Rush-a", "Futura", "Novus Mundus" etc. People who say SGU isn't funny have no idea what they are talking about, I actually think it's more laugh out loud funny than SG-1 and Atlantis. Those shows were rarely ACTUALLY funny (i.e. caused laughter) and were usually cringe-worthy. The only genuinely funny scene I can think of is the "Colonel, Colonel, Colonels, Colonels," "Seriously?" scene.

The Kino footage that Eli watched was also touching, especially for TJ, but also for Eli himself; I think it was nice for him to know that if it came down to it, he could start a family if he wanted to.

The evacuation scene was pretty memorable, but my favourite scene in the episode I think was when the two shuttles soared down; I was actually elated and had a huge grin on my face. It's moments like that when I remember that the show is cancelled...

Comment

Working...
                              X