• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You Win Or You Die (107)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON ONE
    YOU WIN OR YOU DIE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 107
    Ned confronts Cersei Lannister with what he has learned about her family, and House Lannister plans to march against the Starks if Tyrion is not returned. King Robert returns from his hunt gravely wounded, forcing Ned to decide where power will fall next. Jon Snow is dealt a personal blow, and an attempt is made on Daenerys' life.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 08 October 2011, 01:03 PM.

I watched it a week ago, so I've had time to process/fanboy over it all on my lonesome, so this week, I'm going to sum up my opinions in a new way... Presenting... The King's Landing Chronicle!

The King's Landing Chronicle: Bringing You All The News Of Westeros

A Nation In Mourning: King Robert, Dead.

King Robert, first of his name, the reagent protector of the Seven Kingdoms, died this morning after returning from a hunting expedition in the Kingswood. His party came up against a vicious boar, who gored King Robert at the same time his Grace skewered the beast, the two of them both suffering mortal wounds. The King was returned home, said goodbye to his family, and died peacefully in his sleep. His son, Joffrey Baratheon, is expected to take the Iron Throne in his father's wake.

For more information, including the time and date for the royal feast of boar, see Page 2. For commentaries on King Robert's time as King, see pages 4-6 - read as one anonymous critic had this to say: "So, are we going to put the boar in the Kingsguard now? Maybe marry his sister off to the new King? I have to wonder..."

SKIRMISH IN THE CASTLE: Lord Eddard Stark, Traitor?

An anonymous City Watchman has just delivered us shocking news! Lord Eddard Stark, Hand of The King, just participated in a confrontation with the new King, Joffrey Baratheon, in the royal court, and it ended with blood! "We had to kill his men," the City Watchman reveals. "It had to be done!"

Lord Eddard Stark has not been sighted since the confrontation, and is expected to be imprisoned somewhere, awaiting trial. For more information, go to Page 3.

Attacks Continue On Tully Lands! See Page 8 for details.

Ladies! This week's personality quiz, featuring the Stark heiresses! Are you an Arya or a Sansa? Take this week's quiz to find out, on page 9!

Foreign News: A khalsaar was seen leaving Vaes Dothrak just this morning, a raven tells us. The Khal, Drogo, was seen heading the pack, and they were headed, curiously, west. The Khal's new wife, rumoured to be Daenarys Targaryen, the daughter of the former Mad King, was seen riding a beautiful mare with a naked man tied to its backside... See Page 7 for details.

A Touch Of The Lighter Side? Lords and Ladies, read our newest speculation on the sexuality of several of your favourite high Lords. This week: Lord Renly Baratheon. To Page 10!

Where Are They Now? This week we talk about Theon Greyjoy, son of the failed rebel Lord Balon Greyjoy. One newest addition to the western whorehouse spills all about the Winterfell's unwanted ward! "He gets really soft and limp immediately after he's done," the whore, Roz, reveals. "It's embarrassing for him, I know."

I had too much fun doing that.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
      I watched it a week ago, so I've had time to process/fanboy over it all on my lonesome, so this week, I'm going to sum up my opinions in a new way... Presenting... The King's Landing Chronicle!

The King's Landing Chronicle: Bringing You All The News Of Westeros

A Nation In Mourning: King Robert, Dead.

King Robert, first of his name, the reagent protector of the Seven Kingdoms, died this morning after returning from a hunting expedition in the Kingswood. His party came up against a vicious boar, who gored King Robert at the same time his Grace skewered the beast, the two of them both suffering mortal wounds. The King was returned home, said goodbye to his family, and died peacefully in his sleep. His son, Joffrey Baratheon, is expected to take the Iron Throne in his father's wake.

For more information, including the time and date for the royal feast of boar, see Page 2. For commentaries on King Robert's time as King, see pages 4-6 - read as one anonymous critic had this to say: "So, are we going to put the boar in the Kingsguard now? Maybe marry his sister off to the new King? I have to wonder..."

SKIRMISH IN THE CASTLE: Lord Eddard Stark, Traitor?

An anonymous City Watchman has just delivered us shocking news! Lord Eddard Stark, Hand of The King, just participated in a confrontation with the new King, Joffrey Baratheon, in the royal court, and it ended with blood! "We had to kill his men," the City Watchman reveals. "It had to be done!"

Lord Eddard Stark has not been sighted since the confrontation, and is expected to be imprisoned somewhere, awaiting trial. For more information, go to Page 3.

Attacks Continue On Tully Lands! See Page 8 for details.

Ladies! This week's personality quiz, featuring the Stark heiresses! Are you an Arya or a Sansa? Take this week's quiz to find out, on page 9!

Foreign News: A khalsaar was seen leaving Vaes Dothrak just this morning, a raven tells us. The Khal, Drogo, was seen heading the pack, and they were headed, curiously, west. The Khal's new wife, rumoured to be Daenarys Targaryen, the daughter of the former Mad King, was seen riding a beautiful mare with a naked man tied to its backside... See Page 7 for details.

A Touch Of The Lighter Side? Lords and Ladies, read our newest speculation on the sexuality of several of your favourite high Lords. This week: Lord Renly Baratheon. To Page 10!

Where Are They Now? This week we talk about Theon Greyjoy, son of the failed rebel Lord Balon Greyjoy. One newest addition to the western whorehouse spills all about the Winterfell's unwanted ward! "He gets really soft and limp immediately after he's done," the whore, Roz, reveals. "It's embarrassing for him, I know."

I had too much fun doing that.
      My God I was ROFLMAO about Theon. Someone who had watched the episode with me--a woman--said something about that sex scene with Roz that echoed your words. She said, "Well that's definitely comes off as fake. Men don't get limp that quickly after sex." She then shot me a very weird look.

As she and I don't have a romantic relationship, it got really awkward after that.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
        My God I was ROFLMAO about Theon. Someone who had watched the episode with me--a woman--said something about that sex scene with Roz that echoed your words. She said, "Well that's definitely comes off as fake. Men don't get limp that quickly after sex." She then shot me a very weird look.

As she and I don't have a romantic relationship, it got really awkward after that.
        Ahahaha. Classic.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Stuff I liked:
          - The Lannister camp (hmm. still no tabards w/ heraldry? I like Jaime's Lannister armour, tho'...it is more ornate than the regular 'samurai lannister' sets, right?)
          - Ooh. Tywin.
          - Littlefinger (ok, the 2 girls doing stuff was a bit over-the-top, but I did like the conversation there...as well as his role later in the episode "I'm not going to fight them. I'm going to **** them." I'm definitely liking the character more in the series than in the books)
          - Osha's conversation w/ the Maester
          - More Jon & Sam (the short discussion and the oath at the weirwood)
          - Khal Drogo's speech
          Last edited by gotthammer; 30 May 2011, 12:36 AM. Reason: oops
          sigpic

Comment

Also sorts of win this week, as usual. Lesbians, shocking yet inevitable betrayals, more deaths, Drogo making epic speeches, but most importantly Charles Dance as Tywin. He is just perfect casting.

Comment

fantastic episode and the ending was gripping was usual (i seriously think this show has the best endings to episodes) but i have a question for the book readers was the scene with littlefinger and the two girls in the book or was it added to the series?
              sigpic
              The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
                fantastic episode and the ending was gripping was usual (i seriously think this show has the best endings to episodes) but i have a question for the book readers was the scene with littlefinger and the two girls in the book or was it added to the series?
                It was added. It didn't seem out of place to me, (the books themselves are full of explicit sex scenes) and it was necessary for exposition. Because we can't hear the characters internal thoughts as in the book, it was a way of showing his motivations in betraying Ned Stark. It is also like many other scenes in the series, very symbolic. He's getting two people to screw each other while he directs, just as he's getting the various noble houses to screw each other over while he profits.

Comment

I loved...
                  -The scene with Jamie and his father. Jamie's a good guy(basically), and his father was kind of scary talking while butchering that animal lol.
                  - Cersei's scene with Ned. I like Cersei, I feel bad for her. She's done(and still does) bad things, but she's done what she's needed to for her children, and in order to survive and get ahead in the world that she's in.
                  - Jon and Sam, and the conversation they had after Jon finds out he was chosen to be a steward, and not a ranger. Sam is great and I love his friendship with Jon.
                  - Drogo's speech; Jason Momoa did a great job.
                  - Littlefinger betraying Ned. I felt bad for Ned; he's a nice, honorable guy(too honorable in a way), but he really was too trusting, and that made him kind of weak (especially for the position he was in). He wasn't cut out for the politics of King's Landing, and he knew that, but he couldn't say no to his King, so he was put in a bad position of having to choose between the honorable thing, and probably what would have been the smarter thing to do for a man in his position.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                    It was added. It didn't seem out of place to me, (the books themselves are full of explicit sex scenes) and it was necessary for exposition. Because we can't hear the characters internal thoughts as in the book, it was a way of showing his motivations in betraying Ned Stark. It is also like many other scenes in the series, very symbolic. He's getting two people to screw each other while he directs, just as he's getting the various noble houses to screw each other over while he profits.
                    thanks for telling me
                    sigpic
                    The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

I really wouldn't want to be one of Ned's men. They don't get to live long...

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
                        I really wouldn't want to be one of Ned's men. They don't get to live long...
                        Yeah, I wonder whether they're wearing red shirts under their armour.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                          Yeah, I wonder whether they're wearing red shirts under their armour.
                          Spoiler:
                          Hehehe, I guess that's the same colour that Ned wears under his armour, too, eh?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                            Spoiler:
                            Hehehe, I guess that's the same colour that Ned wears under his armour, too, eh?
                            To be honest, at the rate the books and now the series kills off characters, all of them seem to be wearing red undershirts. I mean we're 7 eps in, and already 1 recurring character and 2 major characters are dead.

Comment

So who wears command yellow?!?

Last edited by gotthammer; 30 May 2011, 04:28 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X