Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series Collection" on Blu-ray

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sta...e-Series/15254

Stargate: Atlantis - Blu-ray for 'The Complete Series': Online Listings give Date, Cost, Specs, Art

A press release back in mid-2009 had the startling words that "The 'Stargate Atlantis Fans' Choice' Blu-ray disc is the only high definition release planned for the 'Stargate: Atlantis' series"...but has MGM changed their minds since then? As of this moment, nothing has been officially announced to press from MGM or their distributors at Fox Home Entertainment. And our retail contacts say that nothing's been generally announced to them, either.

However, there is a new pre-order listing at DVDEmpire.com for "Stargate: Atlantis - The Complete Series" on Blu-ray Disc format! It shows that all 5 seasons will be presented on a 20-disc set for $199.99 SRP, with a release date of July 26th. It goes on to mention specs that include widescreen video (presumably in high-def, since this is Blu-ray!), with audio in "ENGLISH: DTS-HD MA 5.1" , plus English subtitles. Our thanks to reader Matt Clayton for pointing this listing out to us.

So far Amazon.com is not taking pre-orders for this title, but they do have a listing for it that asks you to "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available." The interesting this about this listing, however, is that they have a look at early package art for this release, which we're displaying for you below. As you can see, the basic design is exactly like the Stargate: Atlantis - Complete Series Collection DVD set's packaging. However, there's some watermark-style text on the image which notes that this is "temporary art only", so this design could very well change.

Again, neither we nor our retail industry contacts have any sort of official word about this item from the studio; we're just passing along what we know from publicly visible e-tail postings. Stay tuned, of course, and we'll update you as soon as we know more!

UPDATE: Just as we were posting this story, we did manage to speak to the studio, and confirmed that the title is coming. Hooray!

Last edited by DigiFluid; 14 April 2011, 09:07 AM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

In other news: I'm now even more pleased that I've only just recently come around to enjoying Atlantis, and never bought more than Season 1 on DVD
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        In other news: I'm now even more pleased that I've only just recently come around to enjoying Atlantis, and never bought more than Season 1 on DVD
        Lucky you.

Comment

Oh...

HELL

..yes.
          Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Me too!!! I only had Season 1 for a long time.

Originally posted by Ugly Pig View Post
            Oh...

HELL

..yes.
            And it is also in lossless DTS-HD MA.

Interesting that this show was orignally supposed to be the first television show on Blu-ray in the first place. Back then, it may have ended up with an MPEG-2 encode, with PCM audio (still lossless audio, but would have been more space consuming).

Comment

I want this badly, but can't find any UK site taking pre-orders or even listing it. They had better release it here, although I really do not look forward to the finding the price. Our VAT rate (20%) is going to kick this one in the ass hard.

sigpic

Comment

Well....I'm sure it'll be expensive, but not as expensive as they're suggesting here. SRP is pretty much always way more expensive than shelf price.

Comment

Finally!!!, i too have only season 1 on dvd, since it was announced back in 2005 that the bluray release would be arriving soon. I had no idea soon meant 6 years.

Comment

I will definitely be buying this even though I just got the entire series on DVD thanks to the current $15 sale.

Comment

It's about time.

This announcement on Hi-Def Digest says it'll be 1080p:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...r_Blu-ray/6714

The entire run of Syfy's 2004 sci-fi series will be getting the Blu-ray treatment in July.

In an early announcement to retailers, MGM/UA will be bringing 'Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series' to Blu-ray on July 26.

The series was nominated for four Primetime Emmys, two Saturn Awards, and racked up a host of other honors during its course of five seasons.

The Blu-ray box set will include 20 discs with 1080p video and a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack, but supplements haven't been detailed yet.
                      Really looking forward to this. I think I'm going to have to buy a new sound system to get that DTS HD, too.

Amazon shows me a pre-order price of $139.99

Comment

Hopefully it'll be a good transfer. I've only recently come over to the Blu-ray side and so far I've been impressed with everything. I imagine it'll cost a fortune for us in the UK but we'll see.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                          Hopefully it'll be a good transfer. I've only recently come over to the Blu-ray side and so far I've been impressed with everything. I imagine it'll cost a fortune for us in the UK but we'll see.
                          You've got nothing to worry about in that regard since it's not a film-based show and the discs are sourced from the production masters though you will see some serious eyesores in the first two seasons, especially the pilot, that are simply a result of the production quality at the time. Seasons 3-5 will be the best looking and 1-2 will be a bit rough looking at first but get better as the show moves forward.

Comment

DROOL. Yes I have all of Stargate (not SGU as of yet) on DVD and the upconverison on my BluRay player is good for now. However would looks so much cooler in BluRay.

Excuse me while I drool some more.

Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

The price on this has dropped and more information and box art has been revealed.

Amazon.com Stargate Atlantis Complete Series Blu Ray $114.99

Comment

Working...
                              X