Retraction regarding wormhole drive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retraction regarding wormhole drive!

Ok so I’ve posted this on a few posts now regarding the use of a Wormhole drive to jump to destiny.
    Originally posted by Crias View Post
    Ok after working all night to figure out where the Pegasus Dwarf galaxy is and how far Atlantis would have jumped I have come up with a general ballpark figure, so give or take 100 light years Atlantis jumped 108000 light years using 3 zero point modules. Once we think about the amount of power needed to keep shields up and fire drones + land the city I’m assuming that Atlantis depleted one and a half to two fully charged ZPM’s. Now Pegasus is 3 mly (give or take .1 mly) so if Atlantis were to jump from the outer Pegasus to earth you would need 28 + Zero Point Modules! And that’s only to jump to a relatively close galaxy. If you wanted to jump to destiny (assuming a minimum of 20 galaxies between us and destiny) using wormhole drive you would need 560 ZPM’s! Think about that number people. Please stop posting about wormhole drive, Its dead people let it go.
    Now when I posted this I assumed destiny was 20 galaxies at 3mly apart away from us, this was wrong. Rush has said numerous times that destiny is SEVERAL billion light years from earth. So my original estimate of 560 zero point modules to jump to Destiny should have been 9324 ZPM’s and that’s only to jump 1 billion light years.
    sigpic

Your still assigning arbitrary numbers to unknowns. Either way the number is huge.

Comment

Well they are not exactly arbitrary. The outer edge of the Milky Way that’s closest to the Pegasus Dwarf galaxy is 108 000 light years away. The Pegasus galaxy is about 28 times this distance; therefore you would need 28 to jump Atlantis there. A galaxy 1 billion light years away is 9324 times the distance Atlantis jumped. So if we work on absolute minimum numbers here you would need 9324 ZPM’s to jump Atlantis to destiny. Now this number is the minimum to jump just to prove how much power would be needed best case scenario. But I will concede that it’s not an exact number, it could be double this distance or power. I guess you could call it proof of concept, or disproof lol.
      sigpic

Comment

...why does this get its own thread...?
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Wouldn't the number of ZPM's be on the order of 27972 considering it took three of them to use the wormhole drive to reach Earth, and they were nearly depleted in the process?

HERMIOD: 'Crap' indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
            Well they are not exactly arbitrary. The outer edge of the Milky Way that’s closest to the Pegasus Dwarf galaxy is 108 000 light years away. The Pegasus galaxy is about 28 times this distance; therefore you would need 28 to jump Atlantis there. A galaxy 1 billion light years away is 9324 times the distance Atlantis jumped. So if we work on absolute minimum numbers here you would need 9324 ZPM’s to jump Atlantis to destiny. Now this number is the minimum to jump just to prove how much power would be needed best case scenario. But I will concede that it’s not an exact number, it could be double this distance or power. I guess you could call it proof of concept, or disproof lol.
            The problem is, we don't know the exact amount of energy drained from the ZPMs for the jump in "Enemy at the Gate". Furthermore, you assume the correlation between distance and required energy is a linear one, without any real evidence. You were trying to find a lower limit, but the fact is, we have so little information that any calculated value is most likely far off from the real value and is therefore useless. "Many" (or "too many to be a realistic option") is the only answer with the available information.
            sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hermiod View Post
              Wouldn't the number of ZPM's be on the order of 27972 considering it took three of them to use the wormhole drive to reach Earth, and they were nearly depleted in the process?
              nvm I just read your first post with the assumptions of how many were depleted. Looks sound.

HERMIOD: 'Crap' indeed.

Comment

This is the third thread regarding wormhole drive in the top five active threads in the SGU Science and Tech section, and one of the other two was started by you.

Considering that everyone seems to agree that it would require a ludicrous amount of ZPMs to reach Destiny, why start a whole new thread about it?

And I don't mean that in a "stop starting threads" flame way. I'm just saying that this could have been posted in one of those other two threads.

Comment

agreed

besides, yes your calculations are absolutely arbitrary considering we don't know what distance does to the power required. it could be an exponential increase.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    agreed

besides, yes your calculations are absolutely arbitrary considering we don't know what distance does to the power required. it could be an exponential increase.
                    Agreed. We have no data on determaning distance travelled. It could be that it takes half a ZPM to transport regardless of it is travelling 1billion light years or just to the corner to get some stamps.

We only think it is because it may work on a similar principal to the stargates and we have seen the further it goes the more power.

Either way, it is a stupid drive and everyone needs to forget about it.

Comment

nah the drive is awesome. it's just sad it came out of nowhere.

We only think it is because it may work on a similar principal to the stargates and we have seen the further it goes the more power.
                      but the stargate facility can dial abydos or the other edge of the galaxy without noticeable trouble.

Comment

Thats because in the range of the MW, using the MK2 gates - and outgoing wormhole draws power from the offworld location gate, allowing it to sustain the wormhole, whilst the dialling gate only has to supply the power for the initial connection.

We dont know if any other gates use that duality system, Mk1 doubtful, Mk3 unknown but totally possible.

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                          Well the reason I posted this in a new thread was because I’ve posted the initial thingo in about 5 different threads and I really couldn’t be bothered finding each post and changing it individually.
                          Originally posted by Hermiod View Post
                          Well that’s why I said it’s a proof of concept, it’s not meant to be an absolute. It’s sort of a yard stick to measure how many would be needed. If sometime down the track we hear that Atlantis depleted 2 full ZPM’s all you would need to do is multiply the number by 2. Same goes with the distance, if someday we get a really good look at the star map on destiny we could calculate the amount needed to do so by multiplying.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                            Because people are stupid

We have absolutely no way to work out how many ZPMs it would take to jump to Destiny.. none at all.. leave it alone

Plus we all hate wormhole drive
                            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Wait, we hate the wormhole drive since when? I thought we just hated that It was brought in at the last minute for the reason it was needed.

Seriously the whole idea of Atlantis since they discovered the wraith was not letting them get to Earth. Atlantis went to Earth and stopped them. Saving Earth. It served it's purpose.

It seems to me like a logical step after having gate travel. Would be near even quicker travel between galaxies for ships. I can see why the Ancients made it.

The reason, or a logical reason, it takes more power. Is that a gate works like a piece of string between the two gates connecting them and sustaining a wormhole. It only draws power for the initial connection.
                              The sheer size of the item traveling through the worm hole.
                              Because there are no gates, it has to create a wormhole around a ship and maintain it the entire journey through or it would collapse which isn't a problem when you have gates holding each end open.
                              Last edited by actuallyliam; 22 April 2011, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X