Wormhole drive, again? really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wormhole drive, again? really?

Ok so I’ve seen about 20 different posts about using wormhole drive to dial Destiny, I would like to just say to people that wormhole drive would use the same amount of power if not more power than simply dialling through to Destiny normally. When you think about the fact that you would need to jump a huge ship + shield it + power weapons + Jump back when you want to come home. So thoughts, comments?
    sigpic

The wormhole drive in SGU concept has to do with them SAVING the crew while dialing the gate cannot do such a thing. Either way the idea is a dumb one considering how much you stand to lose in the process.

Comment

People seem to forget the fact that one wrong calculation could have really bad consequences, it was just luck that it worked the first time. Calculating a jump from Pegasus to the Milky Way would be easy in comparison to reaching the Destiny.

It's just not worth the risk. Especially if they haven't managed to re-engineer the technology (there's no way they would risk Atlantis for 80+ people).

Comment

I doubt they would send Atlantis, more like a smaller frigate class ship with the WH drive ripped out of Atlantis or an Earth based design.

It would reduce the power requirements aswell seeing as a Frigate class Earth ship would be FAR smaller than Atlantis.

N.C

Comment

Well what people seem to not understand was that Atlantis jumped from the outer edge of the milky way and almost depleted all 3 ZPM‘s. Its completely inefficient and a fluke.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes its inefficient, just pray mckay doesnt get his hands on it

I would think there is someway to make a drive that performs a similar function, but is limited in range, same 1 million lightyears - would cut down and power consumption if using a capacitor based power source for the drive and prevents any serious power drain issues due to its limited range.

Also takes a few unknowns out of the equation when dealing with unknown coordinates.

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
              Yes its inefficient, just pray mckay doesnt get his hands on it

I would think there is someway to make a drive that performs a similar function, but is limited in range, same 1 million lightyears - would cut down and power consumption if using a capacitor based power source for the drive and prevents any serious power drain issues due to its limited range.

Also takes a few unknowns out of the equation when dealing with unknown coordinates.

N.C
              Also we can increase the safety by mounting the WH drive to a small probe and send it ahead , if it work then you move the probe out of the way and jump .
              sigpic
              Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
              StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
              GW member infractions : 1

Comment

But can we even take the WH drive OUT of atlantis without destroying something else?

Comment

We dont know, this is sheer speculation, but its pretty good speculation

N.C

Comment

Well lets say we pull the drive out of Atlantis and put it on a 304, we would still need to send the ship god knows how far with nowhere near enough power to do it. Wormhole drive was just an easy fix the writers came up with at the end of season 5. I have no doubt that if Atlantis had continued for another season we wouldn’t have seen that little stunt with wormhole drive.
                    sigpic

Comment

A lot of people seem to forget that the Wormhole Drive was used for a relatively small jump from a point in the Milky Way to Earth, and it drained most of their power doing that.
                      Imagine how much more power it would have drained if it had made an intergalactic jump from Pegasus.

They needed three ZPMs to use the Wormhole Drive within one galaxy, a single stargate uses significantly less power to travel the same distance.
                      So if a Stargate needs the power of an entire planet to reach Destiny, then the amount of power that the Wormhole Drive would require is just mind boggling.

Comment

Ok after working all night to figure out where the Pegasus Dwarf galaxy is and how far Atlantis would have jumped I have come up with a general ballpark figure, so give or take 100 light years Atlantis jumped 108000 light years using 3 zero point modules. Once we think about the amount of power needed to keep shields up and fire drones + land the city I’m assuming that Atlantis depleted one and a half to two fully charged ZPM’s. Now Pegasus is 3 mly (give or take .1 mly) so if Atlantis were to jump from the outer Pegasus to earth you would need 28 + Zero Point Modules! And thats only to jump to a relatively close galaxy. If you wanted to jump to destiny (assuming a minimum of 20 galaxies between us and destiny) using wormhole drive you would need 560 ZPM’s! Think about that number people. Please stop posting about wormhole drive, Its dead people let it go.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
                          Ok after working all night to figure out where the Pegasus Dwarf galaxy is and how far Atlantis would have jumped I have come up with a general ballpark figure, so give or take 100 light years Atlantis jumped 108000 light years using 3 zero point modules. Once we think about the amount of power needed to keep shields up and fire drones + land the city I’m assuming that Atlantis depleted one and a half to two fully charged ZPM’s. Now Pegasus is 3 mly (give or take .1 mly) so if Atlantis were to jump from the outer Pegasus to earth you would need 28 + Zero Point Modules! And thats only to jump to a relatively close galaxy. If you wanted to jump to destiny (assuming a minimum of 20 galaxies between us and destiny) using wormhole drive you would need 560 ZPM’s! Think about that number people. Please stop posting about wormhole drive, Its dead people let it go.
                          You are wrong, because like so many people, you are operating under the assumption that Atlantis used the Wormhole Drive to jump from Pegasus to Earth.

If you rewatch Enemy at the Gate you will see that Atlantis was already within the Milky Way galaxy when it activated the Wormhole Drive.
                          Thus the distance it jumped is so much shorter. A normal Stargate can open a wormhole of similar distance while being powered by lightning, whereas a Wormhole Drive took three ZPMs.

Comment

Also Pegasus is 3 million light years away.

Comment

Well what people seem to not understand was that Atlantis jumped from the outer edge of the milky way and almost depleted all 3 ZPM‘s. Its completely inefficient and a fluke.
                              Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
                              A lot of people seem to forget that the Wormhole Drive was used for a relatively small jump from a point in the Milky Way to Earth, and it drained most of their power doing that.
                              What a lot of people seem to forget is that the wormhole drive was a last minute "Oh crap the series is ending and we have no way to wrap up the story" device. Easily the biggest mistake ever. Chalk that up there with the "3 shots disintegrates" and the furlings.

Why the wormhole drive is even open to speculation is a wonder to me.

In a way, I agree with the OP, but for different reasons. I could care less if it's impractical or inefficient. It's just plain stupid, and that's why I hope we don't see it again.

And I almost forgot:
                              Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
                              You are wrong, because like so many people, you are operating under the assumption that Atlantis used the Wormhole Drive to jump from Pegasus to Earth.
                              Next time, read his post D Toccs.
                              sigpic
                              ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Working...
                              X