dialing from a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dialing from a ship

How are they dialing to and from a ship, in the first 2 stargate shows that was something they couldn't do unless they were near a planet and they would dial the planet's address, also the ship is moving so how can it constantly have the same address?

well if the ship was moving slow enough and was still in the same area of space that the point of origin applies to, then theres no problem.

However Destiny was destined to be able to be reached anywhere in the universe so they must have created some sort of work around to get past this. As Destinys address is a code (when dialing from the Milky Way) it seems to be able to extrapolate where Destiny is and create a connection.

Based on the fact that we've seen the Ancients had ways of communicating over vast distances through subspace (the communication stones), the stargates must work on a similar frequency so its not so far a stretch.

Comment

Ok you can only dial a ship when its in the same general area of space, that’s why destiny drops out of FTL when people are trying to dial in. So being near a planet doesn’t really make a difference. I would agree with Eco, I think that destiny’s address would be constantly changing so a there would need to be some type of subspace link between the gates. I doubt that destiny’s address would stay the same when dialing it within the same galaxy.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
        Ok you can only dial a ship when its in the same general area of space, that’s why destiny drops out of FTL when people are trying to dial in. So being near a planet doesn’t really make a difference. I would agree with Eco, I think that destiny’s address would be constantly changing so a there would need to be some type of subspace link between the gates. I doubt that destiny’s address would stay the same when dialing it within the same galaxy.
        well as i said in another thread the area of space where a point of origin is valid is enormous. Earths point of origin encompasses at least 23,104,000,000,000,000 km^2, but the area could be even larger for other planets. We know that the Destiny era gates have a subspace link to each other (Aftermath) so I would assume that they can communicate with Destiny over the universe. The "code" must send out a signal to Destiny to create the connection and Destiny drops out of FTL and lets them board.

Im pretty sure that Destiny's address stays the same everywhere, perhaps in a shorter code for the ship but then again we've only seen the address for Destiny once (Lost) so who knows.

Comment

Hmmm, see now I’m going to ask something silly and sound like a noob but I thought destiny’s address would change depending on where it drops out. But I guess if the glyphs on the gate are meant to be a type of numerical system destiny would always be at x0,0 y0,0 z0,0 wouldn’t it?
          sigpic

Comment

That could also be a secondary function of the gates the Seed ships have dropped and why they have only been dropped in a straight line.

Dialling from ANYWHERE in the MW would not allow the instantaneous ping backs from Destiny's gate and the dialling gate not at that distance.

So the code is used to activate a special protocol in the first Destiny mark gate dropped on a planet, say, in the middle of the void between MW and the first galaxy Destiny headed for.

It dials that gate sends to ping packet and then gate #2's subspace link with the next gate in the que sends it along like what the Midway station did with people, only this one does it with the ping packet saying "hey, slow down, we wanna dial"

Destiny drops out and sends her relevant targeting data back down the chain to the dialling gate and boom, Connection.

I admit for the distance that far out the ping is pretty instantaneous for it to be too feasible without more info, Alteran MMO's mutsve been awesome.

N.C

Comment

Well the Alterans did build the communication stones before destiny so maybe as soon as a 9 chevron dial is attempted it activates a subroutine at about the 8th chevron that drops destiny out so that the wormhole can connect.
              sigpic

Comment

and yet Atlantis can't do this?I would think that Atlantis would have this feature too being that it was so important to the ancients.that way other ancients who were ''left'' behind could easily dial up and reach atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by caribsci View Post
                  and yet Atlantis can't do this?I would think that Atlantis would have this feature too being that it was so important to the ancients.that way other ancients who were ''left'' behind could easily dial up and reach atlantis.
                  If you are referring to "Adrift" thats because they were moving too fast for a point of origin to be calibrated, the correlative updates the gate system does would have settings for each gate for each location it would be in - so the point of origin can refer to a smaller area for certain points in the year, probably based on the planets orbit so there would be a January point of origin location and a February point of origin location etc but also for years as well.

Atlantis was not in a small enough area for that to work, the system could probably be configured to work around but it would probably take the configuration of the whole system for that. If not for this then it would be incapable of handling more than one stargate in a solar system, which we know that there is.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                    That could also be a secondary function of the gates the Seed ships have dropped and why they have only been dropped in a straight line.

Dialling from ANYWHERE in the MW would not allow the instantaneous ping backs from Destiny's gate and the dialling gate not at that distance.

So the code is used to activate a special protocol in the first Destiny mark gate dropped on a planet, say, in the middle of the void between MW and the first galaxy Destiny headed for.

It dials that gate sends to ping packet and then gate #2's subspace link with the next gate in the que sends it along like what the Midway station did with people, only this one does it with the ping packet saying "hey, slow down, we wanna dial"

Destiny drops out and sends her relevant targeting data back down the chain to the dialling gate and boom, Connection.

I admit for the distance that far out the ping is pretty instantaneous for it to be too feasible without more info, Alteran MMO's mutsve been awesome.

N.C
                    if im following you correctly (sorry a bit drunk and tired) your assuming that the code for destiny sends the request through the gate system instead of a simple point to point signal like the comm stones. A subspace connection between inactive stargates would allow for this otherwise you would have gates activating on one end and then having the other end activate. I'm guessing that six symbols gets the destination and the signal is sent, when the point of origin is locked in the connection can be made.

Destiny's code would probably unlock a subroutine in the Stargate system so once the eight symbols are dialed the signal is sent allowing the ship to drop out of FTL then the final symbol creates the connection. Now a six symbol code may also be used to dial the ship from nearby gates as we have seen but this may have also been an address, however that would need to constantly change and based on the fact that the gates connect with each other over subspace and to those Ancient remotes so that probably wouldn't be a problem.

Comment

How about this : Destiny's SG sends a message via subspace about it's location , the 9 chevron address is needed to get to the exact frequency/wavelength/whatever so the gate knows where to dial .
                      The idea is that the same system doesn't need this much power for shot range so you can get signal with a remote and dial ( i strangely suspect that this is the same for every gate ) .

And for any other gate dialed from the ship , well it goes like this :
                      - the DHD gate has priority for incoming gates .
                      - the newer version has priority over older gates , also stooping the old gate from dialing .
                      - if you dial the gate in orbit of a planet , then you use the planet PoO.
                      - if you are outside any established PoO , you must reconfigure the gate dialing program to use that portion of space as a PoO .
                      - you can't receive a incoming gate if you move at FTL speeds , but if you are not in hyperspace a signal can be sent and the gate can get out of FTL to receive the incoming gate .

Did i miss any of the situations ?
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                      StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                      GW member infractions : 1

Comment

so if I understand correctly, the 9 symbol address for dialing from the milky way sends a signol to the ship to drop it out of FTL to make the connection, also the ship is sending signols to tell all the gates were it is. that way the gates know were destiny is so they can dial to and from, as for the ship moving the ship could calculate it's point of origen each time it drops out of FTL, however a continuously changing address would be confusing, so the ancients could have programmed it in a way so the address that people have to dial stays the same, and the ship fills in the relevent information. example: the symbol for PoO tells the ship to use current PoO rather than telling it to use a specific PoO

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
                          Well the Alterans did build the communication stones before destiny so maybe as soon as a 9 chevron dial is attempted it activates a subroutine at about the 8th chevron that drops destiny out so that the wormhole can connect.
                          I don't think they built those com devices. I think they Found them and adapted them to their needs.. And it was the discovery of those that led to the tech/religion split..

Comment

Originally posted by caribsci View Post
                            Atlantis was never expected to be 13 galaxies away and more millions of lightyears away from the MW than you can count on your fingers and toes.

I don't think they built those com devices. I think they Found them and adapted them to their needs.. And it was the discovery of those that led to the tech/religion split..
                            Its an interesting theory and could be relevant to the split, Destiny's mission (ulterior motive), the fact there were never any in Atlantis herself but there was at least one in the Pegasus galaxy.

It almost seems that the original devices were spread out at like 1 per galaxy.

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              They built the communication stones, the decoration of the device makes that very clear. But I’m fairly sure that in the Pegasus galaxy they would have had very little use for them because the invention of subspace communication made them obsolete. Though I would speculate that there would have been a room dedicated to communication stones on destiny when it was built because destiny predates their subspace technology.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X