This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much money could it truly cost to fund a SGA movie

If movie is the main reason we still dont have an sga movie why dont the fans who are the one's paying for the movie anyway do something about it. My though is we all want this movie so what if in order to raise the money the studio/controlling entity start a dvd/blu-ray preorder in which fans order a copy of the movie pay for it with the comitment of the studio to use the funds to make the movie. If the charged $25 for dvd and say $35 for blu-ray they could easyly make the movie and still have profit on the front end let alone the profits they would get when the movie is released.

Thsi is just a thought let me know what you guys think.

About $8 million, and they'd never charge that much for DVDs OR BDs. You're looking more likely at a $20 price range (at most), which translates into having to sell 400,000 copies just to break even.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Taking money from fans to finance a movie is a legal nightmare
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        About $8 million, and they'd never charge that much for DVDs OR BDs. You're looking more likely at a $20 price range (at most), which translates into having to sell 400,000 copies just to break even.
        Just $8 million? I could fund that right now. Oh wait, I left my wallet in my other pants.

Would it not cost more considering all the sets would have to be rebuilt? I'm not sure whether or not additional money would be needed, as Ark and Continuum just had to pay rent on sound stages to keep them up until they were finished.

If fans could come up with 8 million, I'd tell them to give it to the actors and let them write, direct and star an independent SG movie even if it's considered fan based. Works for Star Trek and it's actors showing up in fan works.
        Last edited by SaberBlade; 05 April 2011, 07:09 PM.

sigpic

Comment

The budget for Continuum was around $7 million. So even using this more conservative number, you'd have to sell 280,000 DVDs at $25, which is quite expensive for a DVD in the first place. And this would just break-even.

Its a good idea in theory, but in reality, such a thing would be chaos to conduct. Just considering the legal ramifications alone would turn off any studio from taking this approach.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
            The budget for Continuum was around $7 million. So even using this more conservative number, you'd have to sell 280,000 DVDs at $25, which is quite expensive for a DVD in the first place. And this would just break-even.

Its a good idea in theory, but in reality, such a thing would be chaos to conduct. Just considering the legal ramifications alone would turn off any studio from taking this approach.
            Considering the relative size of the market here, 280000 isn't a huge amount of discs to sell. DVD sales are not restricted by time or country to turn a profit so your market just became a whole lot larger than it is for a TV show to be viable.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              Considering the relative size of the market here, 280000 isn't a huge amount of discs to sell. DVD sales are not restricted by time or country to turn a profit so your market just became a whole lot larger than it is for a TV show to be viable.
              It's not a huge amount of discs to sell, but the amount of sales required does go down when you factor in profits from rentals (digital, store and mail based services), the rights to air on television, blu-ray sales (which increase profits a bit) and I wouldn't be surprised if someone broke down and did a 3D conversion which can easily cause a movie to make it's production cost back due to the higher ticket prices in cinema but I'd expect an SG move to get a limited release.

sigpic

Comment

$20 million Kwenama (which is the Ancient currency, see The Atlantis Set Tour on Season 1 DVD of Atlantis, which is canon material, unlike anything on the Wikia stargate site)

Comment

It's not canon unless it appears in an episode.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                    $20 million Kwenama (which is the Ancient currency, see The Atlantis Set Tour on Season 1 DVD of Atlantis, which is canon material, unlike anything on the Wikia stargate site)
                    You forgot, it need also the greenlight from BW and JM to be canon .

BTT:
                    20 - 25 $ each? Okay, I'm in. And I really love the idea to hire some other writers to do the movie.
                    My question is: what about MGM in this scenario? Would they accept when the fans and the actors would do something in the SG-verse?

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                    Sig & Avi by Josi
                    sigpic
                    LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                    I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

It's not canon unless it appears in an episode.
                      Sure it does, if Armando Von Spekler the Third is canon name then so is this.

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
                      You forgot, it need also the greenlight from BW and JM to be canon .

BTT:
                      20 - 25 $ each? Okay, I'm in. And I really love the idea to hire some other writers to do the movie.
                      My question is: what about MGM in this scenario? Would they accept when the fans and the actors would do something in the SG-verse?
                      You misunderstood me, $20 million from MGM/syfy etc....They CANNOT legally accept money from outside fans to fund such a thing.

Comment

I haven't a clue what that's referring to.

But no. If it doesn't appear in an episode or movie, it's really not canon.

Comment

Who the hell is Armando Von Spekler the Third?

sigpic

Comment

I haven't a clue what that's referring to.

But no. If it doesn't appear in an episode or movie, it's really not canon.
                            Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                            Who the hell is Armando Von Spekler the Third?
                            It was the name given to the guy that Varro shot through the chest in Incursion, Part 2. I think its a terrible name and am actually willing to overlook it....mostly.

Comment

Where did the name come from?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X