Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Ginn told Eli; quarantine vs deleting their portion of the database?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Ginn told Eli; quarantine vs deleting their portion of the database?

I two interesting questions to raise about "Seizure" that I think raise some interesting ambiguities within this episode that could have ramifications later on.

Firstly, given how Ginn was cut off just before she could tell Eli what to do (a cliche, and something which happened two episodes ago in "Alliances", but oh well ), how can Eli be sure that she wanted him to quarantine Mandy and Ginn's consciousness? He said that was what Ginn wanted, but what if he was wrong? What if there was another solution?

Secondly, why was Mandy so adamant that Eli was deleting them when he was simply quarantining them? And after Rush got out of the simulation, he seemed to be very shocked at what Eli had done, and seemed to be acting like Eli had done something he hadn't intended to do (if that makes sense). Perhaps, for whatever reason, Eli thought that he was quarantining them, but in fact he deleted them? It just seems strange that Mandy made such a big deal about it when he didn't do anything fatal to them. Although, I guess from Mandy's perspective, she was being deleted, as that version of her consciousness would not be aware that Eli had made a copy of her.

Thoughts?

Oh,...what I got out of this is that Ginn and Mandy still exist but won't ever be able to communicate with anyone again. Like Rush said he did to Franklin last week? Where is Gloria?

I didn't feel like Mandy was being "so adamant that Eli was deleting them"... in that sense. She was just feeling like she would never be able to touch him again. Supporting thoughts--to her touch is everything because she was quadriplegic (is that the right term?) for so long. To her the physical closeness to Rush was everything.

To her, being quarantined off in an incommunicable zone is much like being deleted.

I'd make a big deal of it, as Eli made a big deal of it too. They want to be with the person they love. Not an entity in a ship.
    sigpic
    Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
    O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
    Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
    O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

Although, I guess from Mandy's perspective, she was being deleted, as that version of her consciousness would not be aware that Eli had made a copy of her.
      Not sure about not being aware - I would imagine that Mandy's consciousness includes all of memories up to the moment it was copied.

Comment

Her exact words are "deleting the memory where our consciousness is stored". Eli wasn't deleting them, but rather the partition where they were being kept. He moved them to another partition, one where they couldn't affect the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
          I two interesting questions to raise about "Seizure" that I think raise some interesting ambiguities within this episode that could have ramifications later on....snip...

Thoughts?
          I am thinking that Ginn meant to delete just Perry's consciousness, but eli thought it meant quarantine both..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            I am thinking that Ginn meant to delete just Perry's consciousness, but eli thought it meant quarantine both..
            I think Perry implied that both she and Ginn were stored in the same "partition", so to speak, so Eli might not have been able to quarantine just one. The metaphor breaks down a bit, but that's what comes to mind.

Comment

So, does this mean that Franklin also cannot interact with the crew anymore? If the consciousnesses of living people inside Destiny's computer are all stored on the same type of wavelength or something similar than it would make sense that Eli couldn't simply isolate Perry's consciousness, but had to quarantine Ginn as well. I think Gloria might have been an early attempt for Destiny's computer to contact Rush by using someone he would be willing to listen to. I wonder if there is a way to release Ginn and Perry from quarantine now that Rush is out and the simulation is no longer running.
              sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

Who knows.. I hope they revisit it later before the season end.

Comment

Eli couldn't quarintine Amanda without doing the same to Ginn, I think she thought the only way to stop the sim was to delete them but Eli figured out something so he didn't have to delete.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                    Eli couldn't quarintine Amanda without doing the same to Ginn, I think she thought the only way to stop the sim was to delete them but Eli figured out something so he didn't have to delete.
                    His comment and Perry and Ginn "talking" made me think the same thing - that they are stored together (presumably because they were uploaded together) so they had to be isolated together.
                    sigpic

Comment

Interesting point. Would they then be able to know each other's thoughts?

Comment

Judging by both of their reactions, I believe Eli when quarantined them in Destiny's computer, both programs/consciousnesses were combined. Thus making it impossible to ever separate, and interact with them again.
                        sigpic

Comment

He says nothing of the sort. If he had done such a thing, then he would have said that instead of just saying he locked them away.

Comment

Working...
                          X