Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of hyperdrives exist on a puddle jumper?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of hyperdrives exist on a puddle jumper?

If the Ancients were so far advanced, why hasn't anyone from Atlantis simply tried to fly a PJ back to earth?

Originally posted by OsirisDICK
    If the Ancients were so far advanced, why hasn't anyone from Atlantis simply tried to fly a PJ back to earth?
    Well, PJ's are made to go through the Gate. They don't seem to have a hypedrive at all.

-IMF
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

yeah we have seen pretty much all of the inside of the puddle jumper and the only engines are the ones that retract and those are just standard engines.

Comment

there are'nt any-
        Spoiler:
        we learn that in The Defiant One
        MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
        I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

IMO it exists a critical size to build a hyperspace-travel ship.
          Since the beginning of SG-1, we havent seen any ship able of efficient hyperspace travel under the Teltak size (approxymately 3x more big than a PJ)....

spoiler season 7
          Spoiler:
          There was the Anubis escape pod in Homecoming, but it s an escape pod... I mean, not a vessel with long-time life support.

More, gateshipping is more economic and faster than hyperespace travel, for little exploration jumpers...
          Ancients may have reserved hyperdrive for transports, cargo ships etc.
          Last edited by Zipacna_fr; 24 January 2005, 06:32 AM.
          GOA'ULD: Who are you?
          WRAITH: I am your death!
          GOA'ULD: Don't believe so... I am your God!
          WRAITH: What is a god? Is it eatable?
          GOA'ULD: O_o

Comment

Jumpers were meant to go through the gate. End of story. I mean, they were the ancients. I'm sure they had a few other classes of vessel, including a cargo ship sized ship.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
              Jumpers were meant to go through the gate. End of story. I mean, they were the ancients. I'm sure they had a few other classes of vessel, including a cargo ship sized ship.
              Spoiler:
              In "Before I sleep" we learn that the Ancients in Pegasus had other ships with hyperdrives, but they were all destroyed by the Wraith during the seige on Atlantis.
              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Yeh im sure the ancients had many other types of vessel.... hell, even Atlantis is a vessel basically

We know of the following vessels the ancients had:

Spoilers...

Atlantis
                Puddle Jumpers
                Warships - Which were superior to wraiths 1v1(Before I Sleep)

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                  Spoiler:
                  In "Before I sleep" we learn that the Ancients in Pegasus had other ships with hyperdrives, but they were all destroyed by the Wraith during the seige on Atlantis.
                  Spoiler:
                  Did they explicitly say that all of them were destroyed? I know several were, but I don't remember them saying all.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Jumpers have two engine systems. One is, of course, the drive pods, which can go in and out. These are designed for higher-speed travel. The second system is located on the bottom of the jumper, it looks like a strip of glowing-ness. It's meant for takeoff/landing, and of course Gate travel. From what I've noticed it's only glowing when the drive pods are retracted, so it makes sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzcoatl
                    Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Jumpers have two engine systems. One is, of course, the drive pods, which can go in and out. These are designed for higher-speed travel. The second system is located on the bottom of the jumper, it looks like a strip of glowing-ness. It's meant for takeoff/landing, and of course Gate travel. From what I've noticed it's only glowing when the drive pods are retracted, so it makes sense to me.
                    That makes sense actually.
                    Spoiler space-38 minutes

What always bothered me about 38 minutes was when it's said the Jumper went through the gate on inertia, implying the engine pods were the only form of propulsion, so it always bothered me that, when it's going through the Atlantis gate, from taking off to entering the engine pods are retracted; so how is it moving?
                    But if the glowing strip thingy is some sort of anti-gravity thing it could work; on a planet it works since there's a planet-worth of mass to work against, but in space there's nothing.

Comment

There's always gravity

Comment

Originally posted by TST
                        That makes sense actually.
                        Spoiler space-38 minutes

What always bothered me about 38 minutes was when it's said the Jumper went through the gate on inertia, implying the engine pods were the only form of propulsion, so it always bothered me that, when it's going through the Atlantis gate, from taking off to entering the engine pods are retracted; so how is it moving?
                        But if the glowing strip thingy is some sort of anti-gravity thing it could work; on a planet it works since there's a planet-worth of mass to work against, but in space there's nothing.
                        Probably.

I mean, it makes sense, Just pick up some speed and go through the gate. Naturally, that would only work in space. Less wear and tear on the engines.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                          Probably.

I mean, it makes sense, Just pick up some speed and go through the gate. Naturally, that would only work in space. Less wear and tear on the engines.
                          Also, the cockpit was through the event horizon, so there was no way to tell it to go forward.

To the original poster: the name "Puddle Jumper" is significant. A puddle jumper is a small utility airplane used for moving passengers and cargo over shorter distances, usually in remote areas. For example, my uncle lives on a large island off the coast of Alaska, and there is an eight passeneger plane that makes several trips between the island and the mainland every day.

In Atlantis, the Puddle Jumpers exist to service places accessible through the Stargate. Their just small utility craft. For tasks involving hyperspace travel, the Ancients would have had other, purpose built ships (warships, transports, etc.)

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Zipacna_fr
                            spoiler season 7

There was the Anubis escape pod in Homecoming, but it s an escape pod... I mean, not a vessel with long-time life support.
                            Anubis' battlebarge was huge, we see a hat'ak under it at one point and it was a little bigger than the center of the whole BB, which is what the pod was, so it was likely alot bigger then even an Alkesh.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

What I'm wondering is why there aren't any blueprints for building ships around atlantis. Surely the atlanteans would have saved and safeguarded that information somewhere in the city?

The team really needs to get cracking on building ships...they should have been this whole time if you ask me. Plus, that would be one of the best ways to learn about the atlantean technology.

Comment

Working...
                              X