Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will they write out Gen Jack O'niell?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How will they write out Gen Jack O'niell?

point 1. We already know the producers are shopping around for a new SGC base commander

point 2. We know they have hired Ben Browder to add to the SG-1 team

point 3. We know RDA has signed on for a very limited number of episodes

option 1: In Threads and Reckoning we are supposed to learn that Sam and Jack come to an understanding with their relationship, Pete is likely put out of the picture and that they do want to be together. Does Jack retire so he can be with her?

option 2: Jack gets shipped off to Washington or another assignment? (I think this solution would be lame)

option 3: Jack gets trapped somewhere offworld or in a parallel universe (also lame and done before)

option 4: Jack gets killed off. (last resort)

What do you think?
    Last edited by OsirisDICK; 22 January 2005, 09:47 PM. Reason: misspelling

Point Three is incorrect. Offically, RDA and MGM are still in negociations. We honestly don't know anything. He might not come back at all.
    Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
      Point Three is incorrect. Offically, RDA and MGM are still in negociations. We honestly don't know anything. He might not come back at all.

That sucks!

I read at other sites he will be in at least 2 episodes.

either way, what do you think would be the best way to handle the situation story-wise?

Comment

Option number one, I hope to God!

After all he's been through he deserves happyness. Just let him retire and be with Sam, is that such a hard thing?
        The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
        |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
          Option number one, I hope to God! After all he's been through he deserves happyness.
          I agree - I'd like to see him with a happier future than endlessly fighting alien bad-guys until he dies... nor would I like to see him off by himself, sitting at his cabin bitterly alone (as in 2010 where he snarkily says that his only decision is whether or not to get a dog!).

If they choose a cool plotline... he and Sam are offworld in peril... or one or the other of them are off trying to rescue the other... fine. But if not that, then give O'Neill a rest -- let him have some happiness - he could either retire completely or retire and work with the SGC part-time.

I have a feeling that TPTB will opt for some kind of storyline that puts O'Neill and Carter offworld in some sort of dangerous storyline that will be mentioned over the first few episodes and then will be incorporated as the main plotline for some major season episodes.

Comment

G-E-N...No, wait; I did that in the 'how will they write out Sam Carter' thread.

But what happiness is Jack going to find by going away and leaving his kids in danger? I'm really curious: Do even the most die-hard of shippers think that Jack, this character who has, time and again, been portrayed as a dedicated and selfless guardian, would ever - could ever - be at peace with himself, or the world at large, if he went off and left the fighting and the danger to the people he has devoted himself to protecting, just so he could hook up with a girl?

Jack has a relationship with Sam. He has a close, intense friendship with her as well as a professional bond of immense respect. This being so, what you are suggesting is that he would give up what has become his life's work in order to...what? Get laid? Even if, for the moment, I accept your basic tenet that Jack loves Sam and vice-versa, when has Jack ever been that selfish?
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

There was a whole discussion over on the shipper thread about this at one point and a most interesting suggestion was made by our Goddess of Goodness, Queen of the Green, Tame! Let Jack become the Alpha site commander... He would still be attached to the SGC, out of Sam's chain of command, and out of most of the eps so that RDA could stay out of the show but still be part of the SGC. But of course, he'd been spending his off time with a certain cute blond Lt. Col...

Comment

Originally posted by meimei
                There was a whole discussion over on the shipper thread about this at one point and a most interesting suggestion was made by our Goddess of Goodness, Queen of the Green, Tame! Let Jack become the Alpha site commander... He would still be attached to the SGC, out of Sam's chain of command, and out of most of the eps so that RDA could stay out of the show but still be part of the SGC. But of course, he'd been spending his off time with a certain cute blond Lt. Col...
                Sure; if that particular shambling zombie romance is your cup of tea then that's a better option than retirement. Only problem is that the alpha site has been established as a subordinate command.

"Hey, hero of the Earth; wanna take a downwards promotion?"

Actually, I think they should make the mission undertaken in Moebius unauthorised, then bust him down to Colonel; like they took away Kirk's flag rank at the end of IV, because he was technically in trouble but they wanted to reward him, so they made him what he wanted to be: A starship captain. Then, as a Colonel, they could give him either command of the Alpha Site or some special SG team with a particular assignment. His team would get lost and they'd find him at the end of the series, living as King Arkhan II or something and trying to reopen a Gate without a DHD.

You'll note that my preferred option avoids Sam/Jack romance because...well, it's largely unfeasable and deeply unconvincing.

Still - and here I pretty much invite a little anger - the times we've seen Jack nearest to actual peace and happiness are right at the beginning, when he's retired, and in 100 Days, when he accepts that he's never going home. This is a man who can't quit, even if he wants to; a man who will never have peace until enforced inaction leaves him no options. I think he could be happy stranded on a desert island/planet, but I actually don't ever see him being satisfied with base command...
                Last edited by Mr Prophet; 23 January 2005, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                  Sure; if that particular shambling zombie romance is your cup of tea then that's a better option than retirement. Only problem is that the alpha site has been established as a subordinate command.

"Hey, hero of the Earth; wanna take a downwards promotion?"
                  Ah, but it could be upgraded! I mean after the events in Mobieus, who knows where the priorities would change...

*Offers shipper cookies to Mr. P*

You look hungry, Mr. P... Hey, it's a southern thing...

Comment

I agree jack would (as much as he jokes about it) never retire whilst still able to help in the fight against the gould etc. however as RDA is leavin i think the best opt out would be the carter related storyline and jack becoming commander of the alpha site. he asked for it before when it was first set up and they said he wasn't ready but if he's already in command of the SGC theres no reason not to let him take over and it gives the writers easier options for future special guest appearances. It'd be pretty unrealistic if he retires but pops back occasionally to catch up
                    the very young do not always do as they are told...

you blow up one star and suddenly everyone expects you to be able to walk on water... next parting the red sea

Comment

I think commander of the Alpha site would be a great solution.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                        I think it would be a good idea for Jack to be the commander of the Alpha side.

But I doubt that he will come back...maybe for a short goodbye moment in the first season 9 episode but nothing more
                        I´m not even beliefe that they really want him back. They have after all two young and sexy cult stars from a cult show and RDA would in their opinion (I suppose) only take time (and viewer interest) away from them...

And no I have nothing against Ben Bowder but I don´t know why bringing in a new actor must mean to cut as much connections to the past as possible? And why they must bring in the female lead from the same show, too?
                        Last edited by Hathor999; 23 January 2005, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor999
                          And no I have nothing against Ben Bowder but I don´t know why bringing in a new actor must mean to cut as much connections to the past as possible?
                          It doesn't. They're bringing in a new actor because they're losing the star. You see how RDA's name goes above the titles? You see how his name is in the production credits? He's not going anywhere on that show except because he wants to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                            Still - and here I pretty much invite a little anger - the times we've seen Jack nearest to actual peace and happiness are right at the beginning, when he's retired, and in 100 Days, when he accepts that he's never going home. This is a man who can't quit, even if he wants to; a man who will never have peace until enforced inaction leaves him no options. I think he could be happy stranded on a desert island/planet, but I actually don't ever see him being satisfied with base command...
                            You have a point here, I wonder if the answer may be in the 100 days plot. TPTB have hinted about the Laira story not nec. being dead & buried. I think that Jack would not have left Laira if he knew she was pregnant, as was the inference at the end of the ep. If he discovered he had a child out there, then maybe he would change his priorities. I think that might make him retire.
                            Oy-Vey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by couchpotatergater
                              You have a point here, I wonder if the answer may be in the 100 days plot. TPTB have hinted about the Laira story not nec. being dead & buried. I think that Jack would not have left Laira if he knew she was pregnant, as was the inference at the end of the ep. If he discovered he had a child out there, then maybe he would change his priorities. I think that might make him retire.
                              But could he be happy if he had been forced to choose to retire; he might feel constrained. I think if the choice were taken from him entirely, that would be one thing, but if something, some alternate duty, took him out of the fight...Don't you think he'd be resentful?

Comment

Working...
                              X