PDA

View Full Version : Chloe is the new Siler?

SG-1-AU
March 30th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Has anyone else noticed that anything alien related almost always happens to Chloe?

Riley seemed to be like Siler, but since Riley's death, it seems the mantle has passed to Chloe.

Kaiphantom
March 30th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Pretty much. It's highly disappointing, really. It's like the only way they can justify her presence, is to use her as the lightning rod for the weird; that's pretty much the only purpose she has aboard ship. I was really hoping she'd develop as more of her own person, as a character in her own right, too. She had a few moments, but not many.

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
March 30th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Riley seemed to be like Siler.

It even rhymes, not :D.

s09119
March 30th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Pretty much. It's highly disappointing, really. It's like the only way they can justify her presence, is to use her as the lightning rod for the weird; that's pretty much the only purpose she has aboard ship. I was really hoping she'd develop as more of her own person, as a character in her own right, too. She had a few moments, but not many.

She's developing quite epicly, if I say so myself.

SaberBlade
March 30th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Chloe is definitely the Jackson of the SGU. He's the one who went through physical and mental hijackings like that.

Siler went through all the small, stupid accidents like falling or getting caught in an overload, stuff like that. Chloe is definitely a full blown Daniel Jackson by this stage.

Kaiphantom
March 30th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Jackson actually developed despite the "hijackings" or in some cases, because of them. Chloe, after Air, has been pretty much the same. She needed super powers just to stay relevant and become useful, which is a real shame, when they could have had her develop usefulness on her own. They hinted at it, with Justice and Divided, but never followed through. Seeing such potential abandoned makes me go :(

Replicator Todd
March 30th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Chloe has been one of my favorites since the beginning. In fact she was my favorite in the beginning. If she is the new Siler it just increases her awesomeness. :D

SaberBlade
March 30th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Jackson actually developed despite the "hijackings" or in some cases, because of them. Chloe, after Air, has been pretty much the same. She needed super powers just to stay relevant and become useful, which is a real shame, when they could have had her develop usefulness on her own. They hinted at it, with Justice and Divided, but never followed through. Seeing such potential abandoned makes me go :(

I do agree they had to do something to give her a usefulness to the show, but that's the difference between SG1 and SGU. SG1 had four characters they had to work on developing with the occasional bit into Hammond and Fraser. SGU has like 7 primary characters and a group of backgrounds so it's not as easy for them to instantly develop her into a better character after her experiences. I would have expected her to start developing more into the third season along with Greer as most of the other characters have had their fill.

garhkal
March 30th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Chloe is definitely the Jackson of the SGU. He's the one who went through physical and mental hijackings like that.

Siler went through all the small, stupid accidents like falling or getting caught in an overload, stuff like that. Chloe is definitely a full blown Daniel Jackson by this stage.

Most all SG1 had various instances of being taken over by other things. Whether gou'ald, that wierd sphere thing, or the computer program that took over carter.

SGU has like 7 primary characters and a group of backgrounds so it's not as easy for them to instantly develop her into a better character after her experiences. I would have expected her to start developing more into the third season along with Greer as most of the other characters have had their fill.

I'd say more than 7.
Young
Scott
Greer
Rush
Eli
Chloe
TJ
Volkar
Brody
Parks
Wray..
IMO they are all the major (more than bit) players..

Egle01
March 30th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Wasn't Siler the one who always got hurt and injured? Chloe has been under the alien influence more than injured. So wouldn't think of her as new Siler.

SaberBlade
March 31st, 2011, 12:35 AM
Most all SG1 had various instances of being taken over by other things. Whether gou'ald, that wierd sphere thing, or the computer program that took over carter.

Jackson was the worst though. He went through more mind altering stuff than anyone else. Sarcophagus addiction, controlled by Hathor, went crazy when Shifu gave him Goa'uld knowledge, had that whole thing brain scramble session with Sha're, swapped places with Machello (his was worse than the 15 minutes the others were swapped), Machello's brain squids floating about causing him to go nuts, died, died again, died again after that but ascended, had his death faked, died but wasn't really dead just invisible, descended, went invisible again, became the host to a ship full of dead people, was taken as a Goa'uld host then killed in another timeline, died in a parallel dimension, turned into a prior, merlin took over his body, and most of that stuff happened to him only.

I'd say more than 7.
Young
Scott
Greer
Rush
Eli
Chloe
TJ
Volkar
Brody
Parks
Wray..
IMO they are all the major (more than bit) players..

The top 7 for me are Rush, Young, Eli, Chloe, Greer, TJ, and Scott.

The others are just recurring, like Wray, Telford, Parks, Brody, James. Some do appear more than others, but they aren't main characters.

March 31st, 2011, 07:39 AM
Chloe is not Siler she has not really been injured that much but Siler was hot like Chloe, wait a minute....... :p.

SG-1-AU
March 31st, 2011, 03:27 PM
While I would admit Siler took the brunt of the physical abuse in SG-1 (why I made reference to Riley), I still stand behind Chloe being modeled more closely to Siler. I say that because, like others have mentioned, it seems to be the only reason the writers are keeping her around. Also, EVERYONE in SG-1 got their brains taken over multiple times, so making the connection to Daniel Jackson is only picking out the guy with most encounters. In SGU, it seems Chloe is always the target.

garhkal
March 31st, 2011, 03:38 PM
Jackson was the worst though. He went through more mind altering stuff than anyone else. Sarcophagus addiction, controlled by Hathor, went crazy when Shifu gave him Goa'uld knowledge, had that whole thing brain scramble session with Sha're, swapped places with Machello (his was worse than the 15 minutes the others were swapped), Machello's brain squids floating about causing him to go nuts, died, died again, died again after that but ascended, had his death faked, died but wasn't really dead just invisible, descended, went invisible again, became the host to a ship full of dead people, was taken as a Goa'uld host then killed in another timeline, died in a parallel dimension, turned into a prior, merlin took over his body, and most of that stuff happened to him only.

True Dr Jackson has seemed to have it the worst..

Gollumpus
March 31st, 2011, 06:41 PM
...the only way they can justify her presence, is to use her as the lightning rod for the weird;...

I like this line. I shall steal it and use it without mercy. :P

Yeah, Chloe has always been the "common man" perspective. She has no military training, she doesn't have any background in science or engineering or computing ..., but she is there to give us something to ponder, the "what would I do in that case?" kind of questions. Once that role had served its purpose it was only a matter of time before something was done and a niche would be created which she could fill.

regards,
G.

SaberBlade
March 31st, 2011, 08:06 PM
I always thought that it was Eli who was the common man, representing the 18-35 year old male demographic the show tries to aim at.

It may be a bit disrespectful towards the character, but I think that she was pretty much added for sexual tension. Carter and O'Neill had this thing going for a while, as did Teyla and Shepherd. SGU couldn't do the same thing. It was much more serious than SG1 and SGA, so some flirting going on wouldn't have worked as well especially when the other important female characters are basically out of bounds. Wray is gay, TJ's back story with Young was fairly thought out to begin with and has already been used to create tension between him and his wife.

They need a character they could just flaunt about to create tension and they did that with her, Eli and Scott. The only problem is once that wore out and got boring, nothing left for her to do.

garhkal
April 1st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Not really. Eli is more of a geek, so is not to me 'an everyman..

April 1st, 2011, 02:33 PM
Chole is only there to have sex with everyone :rolleyes:

Nemises
April 1st, 2011, 07:45 PM
I always thought that it was Eli who was the common man, representing the 18-35 year old male demographic the show tries to aim at.

It may be a bit disrespectful towards the character, but I think that she was pretty much added for sexual tension. Carter and O'Neill had this thing going for a while, as did Teyla and Shepherd. SGU couldn't do the same thing. It was much more serious than SG1 and SGA, so some flirting going on wouldn't have worked as well especially when the other important female characters are basically out of bounds. Wray is gay, TJ's back story with Young was fairly thought out to begin with and has already been used to create tension between him and his wife.

They need a character they could just flaunt about to create tension and they did that with her, Eli and Scott. The only problem is once that wore out and got boring, nothing left for her to do.

:lol:

i dont know why but that made me yo-ho-ho!.

SaberBlade
April 1st, 2011, 10:38 PM
Not really. Eli is more of a geek, so is not to me 'an everyman..

He's more of a geek, but if he weren't a closeted genius, then he'd be pointless as well. His story is complete rip of The Last Starfighter, I think he's supposed to represent (if not stereotype) the idea of a typical Scifi video game socially inept nerd who spends all day browsing Star Trek technical manuals and fighting over which is the one true trilogy, Star Wars or LOTR.

He's basically Justin Long in Galaxy Quest, just lucky enough to end up on the ship.

Sounds more like Park, before she decided to hook up with Greer. Guess the saying is true; Once you go Black, you never go back..

Egle01
April 2nd, 2011, 01:11 AM
Chole is only there to have sex with everyone :rolleyes:So true! I mean she's sleeping with Scott and... well, that's about it, but what you said is still so true.

Replicator Todd
April 2nd, 2011, 03:45 PM

Yeah, right. :mckay: