Project Arcturus ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Arcturus ?

Ok people correct me if I’m wrong but why don’t the scientists at the SGC try to dial destiny by using a device similar to the Arcturus? McKay said that the technology would make ZPM’s obsolete and by looking at the Ori mother ships that what they used to power their ships. If that would not work why not try using a black hole? If they can be used in a normal connection to keep a wormhole active indefinitely than surely they could be used to maintain a stable connection to destiny for a short while. Also with my last theory I do know that there would be temporal distortion when close enough to a black hole to be able to set up a base but still just a thought.
    sigpic

um ouch....
    i suspect that they are not capable of building them even if they were. i think that it would explode again.

Comment

A) Arcturus was a massive failure. Not even the Ancients could get it to work.

B) Would you intentionally rip a hole in space for the sake of 20 people?

C) If they did go the black hole route, you still wouldn't be able to get the people aboard Destiny home. If you dial from our end, you can only go to their end. You would have to dial from Destiny's end in order to get home.

This means the blackhole would have to be on Destiny's end. Which is impossible to create given their situation, supplies, and manpower.
      sigpic
      ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
        A) Arcturus was a massive failure. Not even the Ancients could get it to work.

B) Would you intentionally rip a hole in space for the sake of 20 people?

C) If they did go the black hole route, you still wouldn't be able to get the people aboard Destiny home. If you dial from our end, you can only go to their end. You would have to dial from Destiny's end in order to get home.

This means the blackhole would have to be on Destiny's end. Which is impossible to create given their situation, supplies, and manpower.
        Destiny is in such bad condition that it would be ripped apart just getting close to the singularity.
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
          Destiny is in such bad condition that it would be ripped apart just getting close to the singularity.
          Theres that too.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
            Exactly
            sigpic

Comment

If your only using the power to dial Destiny then is there any risk? besides if the next Icarus planet will only explode anyway why not risk it? At Least there is a slight chance of being able to shut down the power source and save the base.

Also McKay working on his own couldn't do it and the ancients couldn't figure it out in war time, It was never classified as a failure. We cant just abandon a project because of a few little planets. :|
              sigpic

Comment

I'm wondering if the planet exploding is a facet OF using the gate to dial, or a result of battle!

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
                  Also McKay working on his own couldn't do it and the ancients couldn't figure it out in war time, It was never classified as a failure. We cant just abandon a project because of a few little planets. :|
                  Project Arcturus was absolutely classified as a complete failure.
                  When done as the Ancient's theorized by drawing energy from our own universe, it created inherently unpredictable particles and blew up a solar system.
                  When done as McKay, Carter and the greatest minds of Earth theorized by drawing energy from an alternate universe, it tore the fabric of that universe's space/time and would have destroyed that entire universe.
                  If those sort of stakes aren't cause to abandon a project then I don't know what is.

My theory for unlimited energy is this. We modify the containment vessel that the Ancients used to contain the Shadow Creature so that it can contain an ascended being. Then modify the Sangraal tech to have a smaller area of effect, then use the modified Sangraal to coral all the ascended beings into our containment chamber and then just figure out a way to pump energy out of them.
                  Is it ethical? Not at all, but hey . . . they were gonna let Anubis kill all of us just so they could wag their proverbial finger at Oma

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    I'm wondering if the planet exploding is a facet OF using the gate to dial, or a result of battle!
                    I imagine its kind of like when you remove mass from the reaction in a star, it throws off the balance and the star will explode. A nuclear reaction in a planets core would be the same, or at least very similar.

We do know that both times Destiny was dialed, the power source was dangerously unstable - because the travelers were thrown out at a greater velocity and the fact that the planets exploded - if you could find a way to stabilise the reaction you could stabilise both the travel and not causing the planet to explode.

Comment

My theory for unlimited energy.

make a few FRANS.. Hook up daimyos to it, and have them run!

Comment

Why not build a replicator city like Asuras and geet them to manufacture ZPM's and have a ZPM farm? just program them the way the ancients did to not harm their makers (AKA humans) and with a subspace kill switch just incase. and with Proj' Arcturus why not modify the containment chamber of the reactor to further protect against the creation of exotic particles? or use the Miller/McKay math to try and balance out the reaction
                        sigpic

Comment

Why not build a replicator city like Asuras and geet them to manufacture ZPM's and have a ZPM farm? just program them the way the ancients did to not harm their makers (AKA humans) and with a subspace kill switch just incase. and with Proj' Arcturus why not modify the containment chamber of the reactor to further protect against the creation of exotic particles? or use the Miller/McKay math to try and balance out the reaction
                          if we build them then they wont be able to build ZPM's, they may learn to eventually but not for some time, plus there is always the chance that they will decide that we are inferior and decide to kill us.

Comment

You're grasping at what isn't there.

1. Arcturus can't be done. Plain and simple. Modified or not.

2. Replicators are Replicators. You really want to go that route?

3. ZPM's wouldn't work because they can't hold enough power. We'd have to make hundreds of them and devote them to this one cause. We have neither the resources, nor the knowledge to do so.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                              You're grasping at what isn't there.

1. Arcturus can't be done. Plain and simple. Modified or not.

2. Replicators are Replicators. You really want to go that route?

3. ZPM's wouldn't work because they can't hold enough power. We'd have to make hundreds of them and devote them to this one cause. We have neither the resources, nor the knowledge to do so.
                              There is a possibility that Arcturus would work, SG-1 Season 10, Carters alternate reality through Arthurs Mantle episode.

Opening small and short openings into other realities and stealing small amounts of zero point energy and store it in capacitors, when enough capacitors are amassed - dial Destiny.

N.C

Comment

Working...
                              X