Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All it's missing is an active Stargate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All it's missing is an active Stargate...

While it may be a few months old, and it's only tenuously linked to Stargate, this caught my eye.

It immediately put me in mind of Stargate SG-1's "Redemption, Part 2". It's amusing to see that another aspect of Stargate, no matter how minor, is actually closer to reality than we might think.

The real aircraft in question is the Phantom Ray, a demonstrator vehicle for a next generation Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle, mounted on the back of a Shuttle Carrier Aircraft.
    Last edited by Sealurk; 28 March 2011, 02:51 PM.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

The Phantom Ray looks pretty sci-fi, I must admit!
    sigpic

Comment

Meh... it just reminds me of the Space Shuttle. Interestingly, in the SG-1 episode, the plane is inaccurately depicted. There's no strut for the forward half of the space shuttle.

Comment

wow, Stargate inspired? I'd like to believe.
        The Phantom Ray can even be seen to have some similarities to the F-302, I think.
        sigpic
        "Operation this-will-most-likely-end-badly is a go" ~Lt Col John Sheppard

Comment

Originally posted by Skarmory View Post
          wow, Stargate inspired? I'd like to believe.
          The Phantom Ray can even be seen to have some similarities to the F-302, I think.
          Space Shuttle inspired, not Stargate inspired.

Comment

Originally posted by Skarmory View Post
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "Lose it. It means go crazy, nuts, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, 3 fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!!!"
            "You blow one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water."
            "Ba'al, you should know. Of course I dare mock you."
            "I'm going crazy, and I'm taking you with me."
            "Woman? Did he just call me a woman?"
            "Didn't I order you to get a life?"
            "There's no such thing as magic." *gets beamed out* "Man, my timing is off today."

Comment

I've seen that movie. Superman shows up and saves the day.

I think it looks more like a B-2 Spirit, a compact and smaller version, rather than an F-302 but if you tinkered with the wings a bit, looks X-301'ish.

sigpic

Comment

Movie? I was talking about real life...

Comment

This is a rare case where the real one looks cooler. It has a cooler name too!
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm with you there. To me, the F-302 always seemed a bit...clunky. Not as aerodynamic as I'd expect a cutting edge fighter spaceplane to be, what with the blunt, blocky nose and leading edges, that huge hood behind the cockpit etc.

Maybe inertial dampening hides a multitude of aerodynamic sins.
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

To be fair, in space one doesn't need to observe quite the same aerodynamic considerations as in atmosphere, but still...

And inertial dampening would be paramount.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                      sigpic
                      now also appearing on DeviantArt
                      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Thank you for posting the link Sealurk.
                        It was an interesting article to read.

It looke odd. The Phanto Ray a top the SCA.
                        Well they need to find a use for the 747/SCA as the shuttle program ends this year.
                        I am sure someone out there could 'tweek' the picture and add a Stargate...

The 302 may not be 'aero-dynamic'. But neither is the 'Bumble Bee' and they still fly...
                        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                        To thy own self... Be true
                        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Working...
                        X