What happened to the debris?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to the debris?

The episode Camelot ends with the epic battle to try and stop the Ori invasion. The last shot is Vala looking out the window at the battlefield which is littered with debris from the numerous hatak vessels and the Korolev which were destroyed in said battle.
    We saw in SGA episode Trinity debris from Wraith ships destroyed at least 10,000 years ago still floating around. In SG1 Lockdown we see debris from Anubis' fleet is still in Earth's orbit, and in SGU Resurgence the debris from the Ursini/Drone battle which happened who knows how long ago is still floating around in space.

So why is it that in Pegasus Project, The Shroud and Ark of Truth, the supergate is seen just sitting in empty space. That thing should be surrounded by a field of debris.

Maybe it drifted away? Just because all the wrecks you mentioned are still around, doesn't mean that it's the exact spot those battles happened. (With the obvious exceptions like the Anubis fleet)
    sigpic
    Weapons At Maximum!

Comment

If the Anubis' fleet debris is valid, then so is the debris from SGA ep. Trinity in which a Wraith fleet was confirmed to have been destroyed in orbit 10,000 years ago and the remains are still there.
      The ships from Camelot, exploded pushing the debris outwards and objects in motion in space do not lose their velocity. But given the sheer vastness of space and the distances we are talking about, there is no possible way that the debris field could have "drifted away" in the year (approx) between Camelot and Ark of Truth.

Comment

Ok Here's a theory...
        Perhaps the debris field was 'cleaned up' by the SuperGate activating when any more Ori vessels came through to our galaxy.

I agree with the possibility of the 'drifting' away of the debris.

But logically thinking. Perhaps the SFX guys and girls decided not to put in any debris. Due to cost.
        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
        To thy own self... Be true
        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Drifting is a definite possibility. Lockdown and Trinity debris had a nice planet to orbit around. I don't think the Resurgence battle happened all that long ago.
          Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
          ---
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
            But logically thinking. Perhaps the SFX guys and girls decided not to put in any debris. Due to cost.
            Yeah I get this rationale. But this is the same show that said, "we don't care about scale. All we care about is making a cool shot.".
            Having the debris in the background during supergate scenes would have not only added to the coolness of said scenes, but would have been fairly cheap considering the shows SFX budget.

Comment

I'm going to have to re-watch 'Camelot'.

I agree with the fact that the debris would have made the scene cool.
              But if I was watching 'Ark of Truth' having not seen any of the previous episodes I'd be asking 'Where did that wreckage come from?'

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                I'm going to have to re-watch 'Camelot'.

I agree with the fact that the debris would have made the scene cool.
                But if I was watching 'Ark of Truth' having not seen any of the previous episodes I'd be asking 'Where did that wreckage come from?'
                If you were watching Ark of Truth never having seen any previous episodes, a bit of debris in the background would have been the least of your worries

Comment

indeed. I'm guessing the kawoosh of the supergate destroyed most of it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC there was no mention of a black hole on our end of the Camelot Supergate (as opposed to the one in Beachhead). There were certainly no time-dilation or sensor-hampering effects that we've seen associated with other black holes in other Stargate episodes.

So essentially, the Supergate is just sitting out there in deep space. As in no gravity wells to hold a debris field in place. Planetary orbit is different, the debris can be held (more or less) in place by the planet's gravitational field. But in the case of deep space, there's nothing there exerting that same force. So when something explodes, its constituent pieces are just going to fly off in every which way at the speed of ejection and not slow down till they find a gravity well to be affected by.

Ergo a debris field won't be in front of it for very long.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Even if those wrecks were moving relatively slowly, (50 miles an hour?) over the course of a year. 50 x 24 x 365 = 438 000 miles away. I think it's plausible that the debris would be out of sight by the time of AoT.
                      sigpic
                      Weapons At Maximum!

Comment

Not at all. You have to realise just how huge space is. 438,000 miles is nothing, any wide shot showing the supergate from a distance would easily be encompassing millions of miles within the frame.

Comment

It went on holiday.

(jeez anyone else notice all the threads on people picking little errors lately?)

Comment

I'm not picking errors to complain. I just happened to notice the lack of debris while watching The Shroud yesterday and thought I'd make a comment about it on a stargate forum.

(geez anyone else notice all the people who think we should do nothing but lavish praise on the show)

Comment

I think that D Toccs has raised a legitimate point with regard to the debris.
                              And everyone who has replied to this thread has their own views on the subject.

I stand by my theories.

I've still got to re-watch Camelot.

Comment

Working...
                              X