• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lysergic Acid Diethylamide (319)

Visit the Episode GuideFRINGE SEASON THREE
    LYSERGIC ACID DIETHYLAMIDE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 319

With Bell's consciousness inside Olivia and time running out, Walter and Peter attempt to go inside Olivia's mind to find her consciousness and bring her back. Outside, Agent Broyles takes a trip of his own.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 18 April 2014, 03:09 PM.

- tripping Broyles = WIN

- 'The cortexiphan subjects were "designed that way"'? Whoa, there's a galaxy-sized hint if ever I heard one!

edit; and now things are cartoons....roflwtf
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 15 April 2011, 10:33 PM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It was a good episode - I guess my expectations were a bit too high. The teaser promised 'non-stop action' once they enter Olivia's mind, but seeing it acted out by cartoon characters didn't do it for me on the same level. Seeing Walter, Peter, et al as animations was a fun twist, but it went on for too long. And knowing what I know (about Leonard Nimoy retiring from acting and the budget cuts the show's been facing) it felt more of a necessity than a choice.

But enough complaints. Broyles and Peter on acid was epic. "I think he's an Observer." LMAO Interesting to see that Olivia's mind looked like 'Over There' with the twin towers and the zeppelins. Remnants of Fauxlivia's memories? Or a sign that her time as Walternate's captive is still predominant in her mind?

It was nice to see the resolution (or was it?) of Olivia's issues with her stepdad. And that Peter recognized this time around that Olivia wasn't herself.

And then that last scene - holy mackerel! As usual, the moment some questions are answered they raise a whole lot of new ones. Who IS Mr. X? And how does Olivia know he's going to kill her? And why was Olivia channeling Bellie again in her last line? Not to mention the fact that she came across as very Fauxlivia during the whole scene... As Peter said in the beginning, who knows what they ended up kicking lose in Olivia's mind.

sigpic
      Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Trippy. This year's Brown Betty. I approve deeply.

Some epic stuff to list off first: lol'd Peter's Observer comment, lol'd Broyles (While still having a sad moment to reference his alternate self. Mad props to the often underused Lance Reddick), lol'd at mostly everything. It was just good fun, and I hadn't seen the promos or whatever, so it was a nice surprise all 'round.

Liked that Astrid got a lot of use here, liked the Bell/Walter conversation in the zeppelin and the cartoon sequences were fun in a very odd way - zombie Brandon was lolworthy again. Oh, and Nina randomly getting pushed into an elevator shaft = win win mother****ing win.

WTF'd at the ending, 'cause the way Olivia delivered that was so "Oh yeah whatever - look toast!". On a shallower note, Anna Torv looked... Reeeeallly good tonight, especially in the glasses and there at the end in her casualwear. Good times.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Favorite Fringe episode (besides the Season two finale) up to date! I just loved everything in it, Peter, Belly, William, Olive....
          When William said the Name of astrid wrong again it was really funny when she bounced "Wolly" or something back ....Broyles.... AWESOME! and Peters comment about him being an observer, as well awesome! I usually do not like anime stuff in tv shows... but Fringe did that very well! EPIC.... three more episodes to go this season people.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeay, Fringe is back! That said it was an awesome Episode and I am very sorry that this is the last we see of William Bell. I did not like the Cartoon Scenes that much, it was a fun surprise, but in the end they kind of overdid it. I would have been happier if the Cartoon Area would have been just in the Building.

Luckily I am not the only one that got kind of lost near the end. What was up with Olivias last line? It really felt a bit like it was Bell saying that and not Olivia.

Also, a big LOL as everyone else at Peters and Broyles LSD experience. I kept thinking that Broyles is going to kick Walters ass after he gets clean again. XD
            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
            There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
              Yeay, Fringe is back! That said it was an awesome Episode and I am very sorry that this is the last we see of William Bell. I did not like the Cartoon Scenes that much, it was a fun surprise, but in the end they kind of overdid it. I would have been happier if the Cartoon Area would have been just in the Building.

Luckily I am not the only one that got kind of lost near the end. What was up with Olivias last line? It really felt a bit like it was Bell saying that and not Olivia.

Also, a big LOL as everyone else at Peters and Broyles LSD experience. I kept thinking that Broyles is going to kick Walters ass after he gets clean again. XD
              I got the same impression. That's why I wouldn't give up on William Bell completely just yet. Maybe he left an imprint of his conscious hidden somewhere in Olivia's mind. Or Anna Torv had been using that kind of voice for so long she didn't quite manage to snap out of it so quickly.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
                I got the same impression. That's why I wouldn't give up on William Bell completely just yet. Maybe he left an imprint of his conscious hidden somewhere in Olivia's mind. Or Anna Torv had been using that kind of voice for so long she didn't quite manage to snap out of it so quickly.
                I Agree. The real question is if they simply overlooked it or if this was intended. I think they are used to check if Anna is making the right impression since she had to play many varieties of Olivia this last Season. Not seeing when she makes a Bell impression when she shouldn´t would be a big oversight at this point, wouldn´t it?
                Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

Great episode last night. Both my wife and I really enjoyed it. Great mix of action and comedy. I will never forget Peter and Broyles on LSD. The way they transitioned into cartoons was really good too. The mystery man has me very interested. I am sure we will learn more about him soon enough.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

WHAT. THE. FRACK.

As soon as it entered the 'cartoon mode' I thought that it was new low for fringe - even worse than Anna Torv attempting to impersonate Nimoy / Bell. It reeked of them not being able to get Nimoy back to act, so they needed to resort to that.

The only good thing about this episode was the whole "He's bald. He's an observer" bit. Everything between Bell and Walter we'd heard before. What was the point in bringing William Bell back again? To fill a few episodes I think.

The whole 'entering Olivia's mind' thing seemed interesting to me at first. But then they stuffed it. Olivia had Altlivia's entire life worth of memories in her and LIVED as Altlivia for how long? Several months? Yet there is no evidence of that in her mind. That kind of thing does not just go away, even if you regain your own memories. I'd expect that there would be parts of Olivia's mind that would be extemely confused from that experience, and potentially still battling over what was real (Olivia's life) and what wasn't (Altlivia's life).

No evidence of that in Olivia's mind at all. The WHOLE thing reeked of an Inception rip-off. Honestly, I was sitting there and going - this is EXACTLY like Inception - except Inception did it WAAY Better.

And the other thing too - where was her original partner in her mind? I would expect that Olivia's betrayal by her original partner & lover (the guy who died in the first episode) would be in there somewhere, potentially contributing to why Olivia is afraid of human connection etc. Although it is a TV show with a linera plot, and that this event occurred 3 seasons ago, people don't get over that thing and it is with them always, even if it is buried deep and they dont actively think about it.

Upon first glance, the Olivia character seems to be fairly two-dimensional. However over three seasons, the writers have shown us that Olivia is an extremely complicated and complex character, even before all the hoo-ha with implanting other people's memories in her. The whole story of them going inside her mind to rescue her from William Bell was far too simple, linear and ultimately had no point because we got Nothing from William Bell - except him telling Walter that he has wisdom now. From watching this show, I know that those words fell on Walter's deaf ears and he will continue to have self-doubt about all his actions. So there was no point to having William Bell come back at all. IF this whole 'Soul Magnets' thing is used later on in Season 4 or Season 5, then I will gladly take those words back, but for now, they stand.

I expected much more from the geniuses behind Fringe. This episode was a new low for me. I hope they do better with the episodes leading up to and including the season finale.

Aussie

Comment

I can't help but point out that there's absolutely nothing correct in the post above this one.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It was good to have Nimoy's voice, but the cartoon did seem like a bit of a cheat, while entertaining.
                        I liked the ending of this episode, it was a twist. But how could she think of someone she doesn't know/hasn't seen?
                        Last edited by Inquisitor; 16 April 2011, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I Agree. The real question is if they simply overlooked it or if this was intended. I think they are used to check if Anna is making the right impression since she had to play many varieties of Olivia this last Season. Not seeing when she makes a Bell impression when she shouldn´t would be a big oversight at this point, wouldn´t it?
                          Yes, it would be. But it was really subtle, maybe they only noticed it in post-production. And then it was too late to re-shoot the scene. Who knows, this may be there way of leaving a door cracked open for a possible return of Bellie at a later point.

Originally posted by Aussie_86 View Post
                          WHAT. THE. FRACK.

The whole 'entering Olivia's mind' thing seemed interesting to me at first. But then they stuffed it. Olivia had Altlivia's entire life worth of memories in her and LIVED as Altlivia for how long? Several months? Yet there is no evidence of that in her mind. That kind of thing does not just go away, even if you regain your own memories. I'd expect that there would be parts of Olivia's mind that would be extemely confused from that experience, and potentially still battling over what was real (Olivia's life) and what wasn't (Altlivia's life).
                          Well, how about the fact that Walter and Peter arrived in Fauxlivia's NY where the twin towers were still intact?

And the other thing too - where was her original partner in her mind? I would expect that Olivia's betrayal by her original partner & lover (the guy who died in the first episode) would be in there somewhere, potentially contributing to why Olivia is afraid of human connection etc. Although it is a TV show with a linera plot, and that this event occurred 3 seasons ago, people don't get over that thing and it is with them always, even if it is buried deep and they dont actively think about it.
                          We only saw a tiny bit of Olivia's mind scape - NY and Jacksonville. I'm sure in the Boston area John Scott is very much in evidence, but why introduce him in this episode? He wouldn't have added anything to the plot.

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
                          It was good to have Nimoy's voice, but the cartoon did seem like a bit of a cheat, while entertaining.
                          I liked the ending of this episode, it was a twist. But how could she think of someone she doesn't know/hasn't seen?
                          She must have seen him at some point before, or he wouldn't be in her brain - albeit the subconscious part. I mean, we come across so many people every day, but remember only a fraction of them. What's interesting is that he was locked away in that zeppelin. It seems that Olivia instinctively knew he was a danger to her, even though she can't remember meeting him. I wonder - does the fact that he was in a zeppelin mean she met him on the Other Side?
                          Last edited by starg8fans; 16 April 2011, 10:42 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
                            She must have seen him at some point before, or he wouldn't be in her brain - albeit the subconscious part. I mean, we come across so many people every day, but remember only a fraction of them. What's interesting is that he was locked away in that zeppelin. It seems that Olivia instinctively knew he was a danger to her, even though she can't remember meeting him. I wonder - does the fact that he was in a zeppelin mean she met him on the Other Side?
                            Olivias Mind looked alot like the Other Universe and since that guy was trapped in the Zeppelin for a reason, maybe Fauxlivia met him there at some point before her Memories got shared with our Olivia. It would be cool if that wasnt just a Rogue Memory. The Guy seemed different from the rest of the People they met, he didn´t even try to kill them.
                            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

Olivias Mind looked alot like the Other Universe and since that guy was trapped in the Zeppelin for a reason, maybe Fauxlivia met him there at some point before her Memories got shared with our Olivia. It would be cool if that wasnt just a Rogue Memory. The Guy seemed different from the rest of the People they met, he didn´t even try to kill them.
                              You're right, maybe it wasn't our Olivia who met this guy but the other one. That would explain why Olivia didn't recognize her, but had this certainty that he would kill her - he may be after the other Olivia, and she knows about it. If that makes any sense...

No wonder Olivia's mind is such a maze after all the mind-sharing she's been doing. Whatever you find there can be hers, or remnants of John, Bellie's or Fauxlivia's memories.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X