PDA

View Full Version : Why that actor for the Scientist Caval??

garhkal
March 23rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Why of all the people out there, did they pick such a person as French Stewart to play a scientist, when most of his other roles have been in comedies...

THOUGH he was the Original Feretti in the stargate motion picture...

DigiFluid
March 23rd, 2011, 12:45 PM
Why not? I thought he did a respectable enough job.

jelgate
March 23rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Star appeal. Big names can bring ratings

Egle01
March 23rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Star appeal. Big names can bring ratings*sits back and waits for someone to leave a snarky reply about ratings*

Gollumpus
March 23rd, 2011, 01:22 PM
*sits back and waits for someone to leave a snarky reply about ratings*

"The biases the media has are much bigger than conservative or liberal. They're about getting ratings, about making money, about doing stories that are easy to cover."

Al Franken, "Lies and the Lying Liars who Tell Them", 2003

There you go. :)

regards,
G.

Replicator Todd
March 23rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
Why not? I thought he did a respectable enough job.

Indeed. Personally I was hoping he would be a character that would of appeared more times in the future.The "scientist" counter-part to Telford.

TheRandomOne
March 23rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Star appeal. Big names can bring ratings

I don't think he is a big enough star for ratings. People just recognized him as that guy from the movie after all

themeatcleaver
March 23rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
still cant remember french stewart being in the original movie... who was he?

DigiFluid
March 23rd, 2011, 01:47 PM
still cant remember french stewart being in the original movie... who was he?

Ferretti. As was said in the first post in this thread.

jelgate
March 23rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
I don't think he is a big enough star for ratings. People just recognized him as that guy from the movie after all

Fans yes. Casual viewers howvwer who more prone to watching comedies will recgnoize him

P-90_177
March 23rd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Since he isn't the first ex-original movie actor to be in the franchise in general it doesn't surprise me that they'd invite him on esspecially if he showed an interest in it. Sometimes this stuff just happens because said actor really likes the show or TPTB feel like doing a little unobtrusive nod to the movie.

jelgate
March 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Since he isn't the first ex-original movie actor to be in the franchise in general it doesn't surprise me that they'd invite him on esspecially if he showed an interest in it. Sometimes this stuff just happens because said actor really likes the show or TPTB feel like doing a little unobtrusive nod to the movie.

Thats how Wayne Brady got a role:P

DigiFluid
March 23rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Wayne Brady got a role because he walked into the writers' room and asked if he was gonna have to smack a b**** :p

General Jumper One
March 23rd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Why of all the people out there, did they pick such a person as French Stewart to play a scientist, when most of his other roles have been in comedies...

Why not?

the fifth man
March 23rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
I thought he did a really good job.

Lahela
March 23rd, 2011, 11:08 PM
As I said in the other thread about his playing the role, I thought he was great.

LoneStar1836
March 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Meh. Wrong actor for that role. I didn't like him. Knew exactly who he was and that he was in the original movie. Still didn't like him for this part.

garhkal
March 24th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Why not?

I have just never pictured him as a serious type person.. Heck even his role as feretti was comical..

Python
March 24th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I thought that was cool. I was more upset that his character didn't put two and two together to realize the risks he was taking by using the stone and that given the radiation he was going to die anyway, whether in his own body or not. Made an unnecessary evil.

Analog
March 24th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I really enjoyed seeing French in this role. Great character!

"He's the type of man who likes to keep secrets."

Moreso than Rush?...

Anyway, I was more surprised to see him in the original movie as Ferretti than in SGU as Covel. (Only saw the original movie after SGU started.)

Rock on.

Infinite-Possibilities
March 24th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Is he the first actor from the original movie to play a different character in the franchise too?

Replicator Todd
March 24th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Is he the first actor from the original movie to play a different character in the franchise too?

There was also Richard Kind who played Lucius Lavin in Stargate Atlantis.

Geral
March 24th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Meh. Wrong actor for that role. I didn't like him. Knew exactly who he was and that he was in the original movie. Still didn't like him for this part.

Same. I couldn't take him seriously.

Sp!der
March 25th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I knew that I knew him... Wrong sentence I know..^^

Elite Anubis Guard
March 25th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I think it was James Cameron who said comedians made wonderful serious series characters. Or something to that effect?

I thought he was fine. Wasn't written as a goofball and he didn't act like a goofball. Don't see the problem.

Replicator Todd
March 25th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I think comedians can sometimes be the best actors or most interesting when it comes to serious or more serious than their usual roles. I saw Will Ferrel in Stranger Than Fiction the other day(just a example), one of his best roles IMO.

Caval was the character I had the most interest in this episode I think. Somebody new with his own secrets and some kind of relationship with Rush made him interesting to me.

DigiFluid
March 25th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I think comedians can sometimes be the best actors or most interesting when it comes to serious or more serious than their usual roles. I saw Will Ferrel in Stranger Than Fiction the other day(just a example), one of his best roles IMO.
Considering Will Ferrell is about as far from funny as anyone could ever get, that's not much of a stretch ;) That said though, I did think he was great in Stranger Than Fiction.

To the larger point being made here, I do think that there's something to the whole idea that actors who make a name for themselves in comedic roles can transition wonderfully into more serious roles. Jim Carrey, Bruce Willis, and Robin Williams come to mind.

Infinite-Possibilities
March 25th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'd be lying if I didn't imagine him randomly saying "INCOMING MESSAGE FORM THE BIG GIANT HEAD:" in a couple scenes but I thought he did a perfectly good job in the part.

garhkal
March 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM

Yea.. he is the only other one i can think of.

DigiFluid
March 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM

Yea.. he is the only other one i can think of.

There was also Richard Kind who played Lucius Lavin in Stargate Atlantis.

^

Python
March 26th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I'm just now putting two and two together and realizing that the dumb one from Third Rock is the same as the mean guy from the Stargate movie.

I've seen the movie loads of times but was only thinking of Third Rock.

I could see how one would ask the question, then. He was the jerk that threw Daniel Jackson's suitcase open into a sand dune.

Then again, he's also the dude who first established that matter can only go one way through a wormhole, so it seems like he must of knew something.

knowles2
March 27th, 2011, 05:20 AM
I would have personally preferred it if he kept the same character. It would have been good to have them show respect to one of the first modern day earth human to walk through a stargate.
I would have three characters personally, one to look at there chance of survival purely on the military front, one to look at the ship and the signal and the senator.

General Jumper One
March 27th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I would have personally preferred it if he kept the same character. It would have been good to have them show respect to one of the first modern day earth human to walk through a stargate.
I would have three characters personally, one to look at there chance of survival purely on the military front, one to look at the ship and the signal and the senator.

Feretti died in an episode of SG1, impossible for him to keep the same character

Infinite-Possibilities
March 27th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Really? Which one? The last I remember seeing him was Hammond was about to send him after SG-1, but the gate didn't work.

Major_Griff
March 27th, 2011, 11:41 AM
He doesn't die. I think the last time he is mentioned is in "Shades of Gray" when the team is wondering who will replace O'Neill as team leader.

Pharaoh Atem
March 27th, 2011, 11:48 AM

know that i did not

Infinite-Possibilities
March 27th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Upon further thought, he would be the only guy who played someone in the original movie, who was recast for the shows and then appeared later in the franchise as someone else right?

DigiFluid
March 27th, 2011, 04:02 PM
*facepalms*

General Jumper One
March 28th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Upon further thought, he would be the only guy who played someone in the original movie, who was recast for the shows and then appeared later in the franchise as someone else right?

no, Ska'ra and Sha're's dad.

General Jumper One
March 28th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Really? Which one? The last I remember seeing him was Hammond was about to send him after SG-1, but the gate didn't work.

I thought Feretti got a goa'uld in him in the first episode, then died by wormhole top of head depcapitation in the second episode. - I am mistaken, this happened to Major Kawalsky.

Infinite-Possibilities
March 28th, 2011, 09:44 AM

Those two were not recast for SG-1. What I mean is that Feretti was recast for SG-1, and then the original actor for the character returned later for someone else. Richard Kind's original scientist character didn't return after the movie did he?

garhkal
March 28th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Slapping my head i forgot him.. Though i thought Ska'ara was the same.

General Jumper One
March 28th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Slapping my head i forgot him.. Though i thought Ska'ara was the same.

he is

Those two were not recast for SG-1. What I mean is that Feretti was recast for SG-1, and then the original actor for the character returned later for someone else. Richard Kind's original scientist character didn't return after the movie did he?

yes they did, Ska'ra came back as Ska'ra and Sha're's dad came back as her and ska'ra's dad. you can look it up yourself.

DigiFluid
March 28th, 2011, 07:48 PM
That would be Alexis Cruz and Erick Avari as Skaara and Kusuf (respectively); they played their roles in both the 1994 film and reprised them for SG-1.

Richard Kind and French Stewart were also in the original film, but have been in the series as different characters. Richard Kind was Jeffrey Needleman in the original film, and Lucius Lavin in Stargate Atlantis episodes Irresistible and Irresponsible. French Stewart was Ferretti in the original film and then Dr. Andrew Covel in this episode of SGU.

Infinite-Possibilities
March 28th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Recast means having the actor changed, not having the actor return.

DigiFluid
March 28th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I never said otherwise.

Infinite-Possibilities
March 28th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Right sorry, I probably should have made it more clear but I was responding to the post above yours.

General Jumper One
March 28th, 2011, 09:18 PM

well then, O'Neill and Daniel can be added to your recast list

Infinite-Possibilities
March 28th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Yeah, but David Spader and Kurt Russel haven't showed up in any of the other shows in the franchise as different characters. That was my point. French Stewart is the only one.

DigiFluid
March 28th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Yeah, but David Spader and Kurt Russel haven't showed up in any of the other shows in the franchise as different characters. That was my point. French Stewart is the only one.

For the 90th time, Richard Kind.

General Jumper One
March 28th, 2011, 10:01 PM

For the 90th time, Richard Kind.

Richard Kind was Jeffrey Needleman in the original film, and Lucius Lavin in Stargate Atlantis episodes Irresistible and Irresponsible.

Infinite-Possibilities
March 28th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Has Jeffrey Neddleman appeared since the movie like Ferretti did?

General Jumper One
March 28th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Has Jeffrey Neddleman appeared since the movie like Ferretti did?

no - actor yes, character no

Infinite-Possibilities
March 29th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Yes exactly. So my point is, nobody else has played a character in the Stargate movie, had that character played by somebody else in SG-1 and then returned later in the franchise to play somebody else.

Skarra and Kasuf appeared in the movie and in the shows as the same characters.

A whole bunch of other people appeared in the movie and were recast, but never appeared again in the franchise.

Richard Kind appeared in the movie and in Stargate Atlantis. But his original character was not recast as somebody else.