PDA

View Full Version : Should the bomb explode or Not

knowles2
March 22nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
As the ending was left wide open, at least for now, I was just wondering what people think should happen, should the bomb destonate and destroy Washington or should the scientist and Senator successfully disarm the bomb.

I personally think the first option would create a much more interesting Earth and much more interest stories down the road. And the second option is a bit more boring.

Egle01
March 22nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
I personally think the first option would create a much more interesting Earth and much more interest stories down the road.Down what road? :( [/partypooper]

I'm thinking it's going to be the second option. With HWC destroyed, no working stones, the crew on Destiny - how could a story about it be told?

DigiFluid
March 22nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Nah, it shouldn't. SGU is Destiny's story, not Earth's. Dealing with Earth's response to intragalactic terrorism is a little outside its purview.

escyos
March 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
Something tells me that blowing up Washington is not in play.

The Destiny
March 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
I think the open ending is quite nice though. It leaves you wondering a bit wether the writers would be so bold as to actually blow washington up or not and we won't know untill the next episode.

While I doubt they will, it certainly makes it a bit more tense for me.

Egle01
March 22nd, 2011, 01:11 PM
I think the open ending is quite nice though.I also liked it. There was no clear answer, and without the stones, the crew really has no idea what's going on back home. That should add some concern and tensions.

Rylor
March 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
It would be an interesting development if the bomb were to explode, but I guess the ramifications would be too great.

And since the stones are used in "Hope" and "Seizure", I think it's a good bet it didn't explode.

TheRandomOne
March 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Was it said that bomb could destroy all of Washington or no ?

tomstone
March 22nd, 2011, 01:16 PM
I am pretty sure those werent the only Stones they had, so it is still possible to blow Washington off the map and still have a working connection later.

The Destiny
March 22nd, 2011, 01:24 PM
They might still have those 2 stones left they used in "citizen Joe" ( that's what the episode was called, right? ) in SG-1

Well.. a Naquadah bomb will destroy an area for miles around and naquadriah is even more unstable. It'd probably blow a small chunk out of the planet. I believe they said the force was several megatons.

coZma
March 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
It's about time someone made a dent in Earth's impenetrable safe buble. It would bother me a little that from all the villains that existed in the stargate universe(no pun intended) this would be achieved by those space pirates but hey, it would still be awesome. This show is about relistism(suposedly) and the truth is Earth should have been wiped out by Apophys at the end of season one. It's about damn time Earth's luck should run out. I'm all iin for KABOOM

Lahela
March 22nd, 2011, 01:31 PM
I never assumed that the bomb went off, but it was good to see that the Destiny crew didn't know one way or the other. A bit more tension for them.

jelgate
March 22nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
I kind of like the ambiguatory that came with the Lucian Alliance attack. Something different

knowles2
March 22nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
I believe they said it was a 70 mega ton bomb, the biggest one ever set off on earth is below 50 megatons I believe.

Hourisima was about 500 kilo ton.

So the bomb would have left a rather big crater, I am pretty sure only the people with access to jets would have got out of the blast range quick enough. .

I am also pretty sure the stones in Washington are not the only ones on Earth. They just the only ones being using and turned on.

Why I agree the writers probably do not have the balls to destroy Washington it would be been great if they did and it would certainly make the Lucian alliance a far bigger threat than the Go 'ould were ever. An I also feel that earth needs to be taken down a notch or two.

J-Whitt Remastered
March 22nd, 2011, 01:44 PM
They might still have those 2 stones left they used in "citizen Joe" ( that's what the episode was called, right? ) in SG-1

Well.. a Naquadah bomb will destroy an area for miles around and naquadriah is even more unstable. It'd probably blow a small chunk out of the planet. I believe they said the force was several megatons.

I'm pretty sure those were destroyed when Daniel and Vala were using them to communicate with the Ori galaxy. Of course they could have found more between Citizen Joe and the beginning of season 9.

The Swarm
March 22nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Honestly i dont realy care....if it was SG-1 dealing with the problem then yeah.

Rylor
March 22nd, 2011, 01:58 PM
I'm sure they could get their hands on more stones. The ones found in Janus' lab in "Identity" for example should still be there, if I remember correctly. But the destruction of Washington D.C. and the surrounding area (70 megatons is a pretty big bang) would throw the United States into chaos, although they would of course be able to recover.

But I like the fact that we didn't learn the outcome at the end of the episode.

SGSargon
March 22nd, 2011, 02:40 PM
I think the ending of this episode was like the one from Time. The audience already knows what will happen so there's no point in doing the obvious.

As for the bomb, it's unlikely it would of exploded. The largest nuclear bomb detonated, the Tsar bomb, had a fireball of 8 km diameter peak, it was visible from 1000 km away, the mushroom cloud reached 64 km height (however it would of been bigger if it detonated on the ground), all buildings from 55 km away were leveled, the heat was felt up to 270 km away and windows were broken at 900 kilometers from ground zero.
The LA bomb was estimated at 70 megatones.
If we count the EMP and the nuclear fallout, then half the East Coast would of been affected.

DigiFluid
March 22nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Try playing with this (http://www.carloslabs.com/node/20), guys. 50mt (the closest option available) is a big freaking bomb, but I don't think it'll blank out the eastern seaboard. Fallout, however...

SGSargon
March 22nd, 2011, 03:03 PM
Yes the explosion will not be thousands of miles big nor it will melt the East coast, but the EMP will fry the whole electric network and given how big the metropolitan area is, the effects will be devastating:
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/49261main_usa_nightm.jpe
The EMP effects from this picture are from high altitude detonation, but you can determine that a ground detonation will be devastating (think the 2003 blackout):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EMP_areas.JPG[/url]
The Tsar bomb was detonated in pretty much the middle of nowhere, so it's EMP affected...nobody.

KEK
March 22nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
Not. Revealing the Stargate program to the public would be a disaster for the franchise IMO.

DigiFluid
March 22nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Not. Revealing the Stargate program to the public would be a disaster for the franchise IMO.
I'd be interested in seeing it if it were the final entry to the franchise in film format. But for it to appear as a background story in SGU, yeah, it'd be a disaster.

knowles2
March 22nd, 2011, 03:49 PM
It must be said through Tesla was never tested at full strength. Even the russians were scared of it true power.

A bomb destroying Washing and the surrounding area would not necessary reveal the Stargate to the World. An such a disaster would be about the worst time to reveal the programme.

jsonitsac
March 22nd, 2011, 03:53 PM
It must be said through Tesla was never tested at full strength. Even the russians were scared of it true power.

A bomb destroying Washing and the surrounding area would not necessary reveal the Stargate to the World. An such a disaster would be about the worst time to reveal the programme.

Okay but if a nuke went off then you'd have to blame somebody for it. So then do you just go and nuke some random nation in retaliation for it?

tomstone
March 22nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
Okay but if a nuke went off then you'd have to blame somebody for it. So then do you just go and nuke some random nation in retaliation for it?

No, it is just going to be called a Freak Accident that could have happened anywhere.

Rylor
March 22nd, 2011, 04:31 PM

Of course not, there are many possible explanations they could tell the public: Terror attack by an unknown faction, accident, magnets, ...

jelgate
March 22nd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Of course not, there are many possible explanations they could tell the public: Terror attack by an unknown faction, accident, magnets, ...

Magnets?:P That would be a hard one to sell.

Rylor
March 22nd, 2011, 06:06 PM
Magnets?:P That would be a hard one to sell.

Jack would probably buy it :D

Nth Chevron
March 22nd, 2011, 06:20 PM
Millions of chess pieces, all with tiny magnets in them .... its inevitable .....

RUN !!!

N.C

Eterno
March 22nd, 2011, 06:42 PM
we are comparing 70 megatons to other nuclear explosions. But he said it is a Naquadria bomb. Is 70 megatons 70 megatons? Or how big would a Naquadria 70 megaton bomb be?

D Toccs
March 22nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Even if the bomb didn't go off (which it almost certainly didn't), just the fact that the Lucian Alliance were able to land the ship and destroy the Pentagon makes them one of the most successful of all the enemies Earth has faced. Even Anubis who had a fleet in orbit didn't do that kind of hard hitting damage.

One thing that bugs me is that in SG1 season 7 episode Fallout when Jonas reveals that naquadria was not native to Langara, he says that one of the reasons he suspected it was that in all his time with the SGC they never found naquadria on any other planet. Anubis didn't even know about naquadria until he scanned Jonas' mind. Now suddenly it's so common that the Lucian Alliance are making numerous naquadria bombs and Icarus types planets seem to be all over the place.

Girlbot
March 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM
I say no. The senator defuses it and dies of radiation sickness:D

KEK
March 22nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
we are comparing 70 megatons to other nuclear explosions. But he said it is a Naquadria bomb. Is 70 megatons 70 megatons? Or how big would a Naquadria 70 megaton bomb be?

Yes.

morbosfist
March 22nd, 2011, 07:36 PM
we are comparing 70 megatons to other nuclear explosions. But he said it is a Naquadria bomb. Is 70 megatons 70 megatons? Or how big would a Naquadria 70 megaton bomb be?Tonnage in reference to explosive yield is a measurement of how may tons of TNT would make a comparable blast to a given explosive.

Gollumpus
March 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Try playing with this (http://www.carloslabs.com/node/20), guys. 50mt (the closest option available) is a big freaking bomb, but I don't think it'll blank out the eastern seaboard. Fallout, however...

Darn, I was just about to post that site and then I noticed you had already done so... very clever, Mr. Bond. :P

I suspect that the bomb will not go off, or if it does then it will have been plucked out of where-ever it is and placed somewhere where it can do no damage.

regards,
G.

PS - when the episode started the first thing that came to mind was the B-5 episode "Convictions" where G'Kar and Londo were trapped in that damaged elevator. Londo: "I hate my life." G'kar: "I hate your life to..."

smart
March 22nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
Though I do not think blowing up a great deal of Washington would be the outcome[ given the number of major members of or associated with the Stargate program in Washington], it would be preferable that the bomb did not blow. This would allow for a great deal of Earth based stories in the future, which would be for both the character development of those on board interesting as well as the various connections which can be made to Earth politics in regards to Destiny and the Lucian Alliance.This allows for us to explore a variety of storylines in relation to Destiny such as Earth's stance on researching another Icarus base planet to create a supply line Greer's ties to his mother back on Earth and e.t,c.

Rickington
March 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM

Indeed. The Tsar Bomba was the most powerful thermonuclear device ever detonated in history... so imagine the power of that bomb detonating in the D.C. area... not pretty. I doubt it detonated...

magictrick
March 22nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
Although really interesting if it did go off, its doubtful the storyline is heading that way. I just hope they don't leave us hanging and address it in the next episode. And if they don't, then I think its safe to assume it was diffused.

shantar
March 22nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
I like the suspense of not getting a firm answer (since the crew of Destiny didn't know for sure) but assuming that the senator managed to disarm the bomb. (Having the bomb go off would either mean the stones are gone -- which I don't think will happen -- or the focus of the show will shift too much to what is happening on Earth.) I think the senator survives long enough to tell Earth command about the assitance she received from the LA on Destiny. Having the LA on Destiny working with Earth to avert another possible bombing would be a way to involve some of the LA cast and also be a way to convince some of the crew to start to accept them.

D Toccs
March 22nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
We won't get any info on the bomb or Earth next episode, but episode after that Seizure will give us an answer.

Gollumpus
March 22nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
I suppose there's even a chance that the senator could be brought back. One of the advantages of being the de facto head of the SGC is that they have things like sarcophagi lying around somewhere...

regards,
G.

D Toccs
March 22nd, 2011, 08:58 PM
I suppose there's even a chance that the senator could be brought back. One of the advantages of being the de facto head of the SGC is that they have things like sarcophagi lying around somewhere...

I wouldn't be so sure, the SGC have access to beaming technology and ring transporters, yet Landry still has to ride that clunky old shaft elevator down to his office :)

blueray
March 22nd, 2011, 09:21 PM
i think if they do have it go off it would make a good sg-1 movie. if dc got destroyed then sgc would go back to being charge. and they would be able to make the war be a focal part of the story.

as for sgu is concerned they could have the stones only used sometimes (since sgc personal is needed elsewhere), so destiny loose contact with earth, or for most of the time.

but in reality i don't think the bomb went off, that would mean that they would have to reveal the sgc to the public, which i don't want to see happen.

Gollumpus
March 22nd, 2011, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't be so sure, the SGC have access to beaming technology and ring transporters, yet Landry still has to ride that clunky old shaft elevator down to his office :)

True dat, however I wouldn't say it couldn't happen until we actually see her funeral, and even then...

regards,
G.

Tajis
March 23rd, 2011, 07:34 AM
It's about time someone made a dent in Earth's impenetrable safe buble. It would bother me a little that from all the villains that existed in the stargate universe(no pun intended) this would be achieved by those space pirates but hey, it would still be awesome. This show is about relistism(suposedly) and the truth is Earth should have been wiped out by Apophys at the end of season one. It's about damn time Earth's luck should run out. I'm all iin for KABOOM

When snake-head tried attacking Earth, he did it in traditional Goauld style. Megolomania overruled the idea that they could just cloak a bomb and attack with it. Although... a few of them 'did' get sneaky... *Cough* Rya'c, Cassie, etc.

knowles2
March 23rd, 2011, 11:48 AM
When snake-head tried attacking Earth, he did it in traditional Goauld style. Megolomania overruled the idea that they could just cloak a bomb and attack with it. Although... a few of them 'did' get sneaky... *Cough* Rya'c, Cassie, etc.

It must be said through, Anubis at this time did not process the knowledge of the Asgard, such as there shields and scanners and transporter technologies.
Remember protection treaty meant the Asgard would of intervene in a direct attack, it possible that a cloak cargo vessels can be detected by pure bread Asgard sensors and not the down graded stuff they gave to us latter on. Although we have not seen Odyssey in action to confirm or deny this.

If this is the case then the Asgard would have intervene to stop the attack and perhaps made a couple of counter strikes at Anubis basis or facilities in return.

Considering that Earth now seem to have gain this capability it seem wise to presume that the Asgard had the tech to detect cloak vessels. An that Earth have just implement such tech in time to detect the cloak vessel. But probably short range only which allow the cargo vessel time to make the suicide run.

DigiFluid
March 23rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
I think Tajis was referring to the Lost City battle.

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
March 23rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Digi,this (http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/gmap/hydesim.html?dll=38.87079,-77.05605&mll=38.78159,-77.1314&yd=7000&zm=9&op=156) is what 70 megatons would do :D.

DigiFluid
March 23rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Digi,this (http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/gmap/hydesim.html?dll=38.87079,-77.05605&mll=38.78159,-77.1314&yd=70000&zm=9&op=156) is what 70 megatons would do :D.
That's kilotons, not megatons :p

March 23rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
That's kilotons, not megatons :p

But 70000 kilotons is 70 megatons isn't it?

DigiFluid
March 23rd, 2011, 12:44 PM
But 7000 kilotons is 70 megatons isn't it?
Uhhh yes it should be. But I'd also point out that you set it to 70000 kilotons :p

March 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
Uhhh yes it should be. But I'd also point out that you set it to 70000 kilotons :p

OK I changed it.

DigiFluid
March 23rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah I did it myself....looks pretty much the same as the link I posted earlier, though correcting for 70 vs. 50 :p

garhkal
March 23rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Down what road? :( [/partypooper]

I'm thinking it's going to be the second option. With HWC destroyed, no working stones, the crew on Destiny - how could a story about it be told?

Plus with it going boom, it does prove the LA is a massive threat.

It would be an interesting development if the bomb were to explode, but I guess the ramifications would be too great.

It would, if there was more stargate on TV to showcase the ramifications/developments.. but since there is not, imo it would have been pointless to have gone down that road.

IIRC Telford said it was equivelant to 50 megatons.. That would easily have wiped out DC.

I am also pretty sure the stones in Washington are not the only ones on Earth. They just the only ones being using and turned on.

We have never seen others yet.. BUT it is easily assumable they could have made another base unit..

Try playing with this, guys. 50mt (the closest option available) is a big freaking bomb, but I don't think it'll blank out the eastern seaboard. Fallout, however...

Nice site.. I tried it with the Tsar bomb going up in Gulfport. ALL THE way out in Slidel sees destruction!

They could have easily covered it up with stories of a rogue terrorist they had lost track of sneaking a bomb right next to the pentagon..

Heck some other films have show there is a nuke reactor UNDER the pentagon. Perhaps they could have had it melt down and cause the explosion, due to someone frakking up big time..

One thing that bugs me is that in SG1 season 7 episode Fallout when Jonas reveals that naquadria was not native to Langara, he says that one of the reasons he suspected it was that in all his time with the SGC they never found naquadria on any other planet. Anubis didn't even know about naquadria until he scanned Jonas' mind. Now suddenly it's so common that the Lucian Alliance are making numerous naquadria bombs and Icarus types planets seem to be all over the place.

Think about it. That was back before the LA were even a foot note, other than in that ep where vala steals the prometheus. And since the LA are criminals it is wise to assume they know more than the common person. Plus there are at least 5 years of that knowledge of Naquidria being around for the info to permeate..

i think if they do have it go off it would make a good sg-1 movie. if dc got destroyed then sgc would go back to being charge. and they would be able to make the war be a focal part of the story.

It would make for a great 3rd SG1 movie.

Tajis
March 23rd, 2011, 09:03 PM
When all else fails, hurl a naquadah loaded asteroid at your problem. :)

garhkal
March 24th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Anubis tried that... didn't work.

danmcken
March 25th, 2011, 04:08 AM
why didnt they just beam the bomb out onto the hammond then beam it into space

Egle01
March 25th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Because SGU isn't about quick fixes.

Rylor
March 25th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Maybe the Hammond was not in orbit at the time. Furthermore, we have seen in "Subversion" and "Incursion (1)" that the Lucian Alliance posesses jamming technology that renders transporters useless. Or it could be the radiation from the bomb.

And, from a real-world point of view, what Egle01 wrote :)

TheRandomOne
March 25th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I say let it go off. It would be a change for Stargate & after everything the SGC has been able to stop & to get their asses handed to them by petty humans would be something else. Also to protect Earth they could do that thing Carter did in that Alternate Reality & make the Earth invisible. Then the only way to Earth would be is via Stargate

March 26th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Yes let's get rid of Washington never liked the the place too many white buildings :p.

garhkal
March 26th, 2011, 03:33 PM

As i mentioned above, maybe the radiation did more than mess up comms..
OR maybe they have anti beaming jammers set up in the pentagon.

Pharaoh Atem
March 26th, 2011, 07:35 PM
yes and no more comm stoning to earth

knowles2
March 26th, 2011, 07:41 PM
As i mentioned above, maybe the radiation did more than mess up comms..
OR maybe they have anti beaming jammers set up in the pentagon.

More than likely, in fact I suspect by now every major earth insulation have anti beaming technology deployed. If not heads should roll.

garhkal
March 28th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I wonder can it be turned off?

KEK
March 29th, 2011, 01:57 PM

The base was probably shielded from beaming technology like all the other ones seem to, either that or there was too much interference from all the radiation.

mjwalshe
March 30th, 2011, 01:34 PM

at 80MT yes you bet it would

garhkal
March 30th, 2011, 05:39 PM
70-80mt is what i remember Telford saying.

KEK
April 1st, 2011, 08:27 AM
He said 50 to 70.