Enterprise- "Observer Effect"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enterprise- "Observer Effect"

Well, this is interesting. When I first heard about these last two eps, I immediately assumed I would love "Daedalus" and that "Observer Effect" would just be passable. In fact, it turned out the opposite is true. While "Daedalus" is obviously more important to the story, "OE" was just brilliantly done, in a number of ways.

It's the second ep written by the Reeves-Stevens team, and they did not dissapoint. FINALLY we get to see some of the lesser characters actually doing something, instead of just sitting at their little console, pressing buttons. Unfortunately, the only problem with this is that, for much of the episode, it wasn't actually Reed and Mayweather. It was the actors, playing "possessed." Ah well, I guess I shouldn't complain. At least they got some airtime.

What was cool about the non-physical aliens is that, no matter whose bodies they entered, you almost immediately understood which was which. They were essentially the narrators of a story about the values of Humanity. This is the type of story Star Trek does best.

And luckily, the actors all did a pretty good job with the material they were handed. Even Hoshi sounded like a real person again. That hasn't happened in ages. Speaking of which, the one thing that seemed slightly off in the whole episode was the story Hoshi told about breaking someone's arm... That really doesn't sound like something Hoshi would have done... but I guess I shouldn't complain too much. It's about time we learned something more about this chick anyway. LOVED the scene with her tapping into the computers and walking around the ship in panic mode. The Reeves-Stevens seem to always have the more original "action". In the Vulcan ep, it was the bomb sequence with Reed and Maywheather. Now with this. It's always nice to have a scene with danger that doesn't feel like you've seen it already.

This is really only the second episode this season where every member of the main cast really had something to do beyond just tapping buttons or something, and I have to say it was effective. I actually got a little teary-eyed during the scene when people started dying, and I don't think that's happened for a couple seasons now. I kept wanting to see Archer just break down over Trip's dead body, but I guess that would have been a bit much.

And, of course, we fulfill that prequel-esque aspect to the show by revealing that the aliens are the Organians of TOS, and this encounter with the Enterprise crew (whose memories of the meeting have been erased) will eventually lead their species to meeting another Enterprise crew. Yay! Yet another prequel-ep where the name-dropping doesn't interfere with the story, or its effect. And one that you don't have to be "in on the joke" to enjoy.

So this was a breath of fresh air, to say the least. It gets an A from me. Next week, we begin the big Andorian/Tellerite/Romulan arc. To be honest, this last ep makes me wish we would have more standalones again, but it should be nice to have Shran and Lt. Talas back. Bring on the Romulans!

I thought this episode was alright. I liked how they didn't find a need to show us what these aliens looked like. I also like dthe fact that the aliens' prime derective was to 'Not interfer with the natural developement of other races', that was cool. I also liked how they contracted the disease, somewhat original.

I really liked the character of Oberserver #2 (the Mayweather alien), really liked him\her....it.

Alright episode. If I had to rate it....maybe an 8.5/10?

Also, I too had a strange feeling about these two standalone episodes. I thought that I wouldn't like either one. But in fact, I liked Oberserver Effect very much, but was very disappointed by Daedalus.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I actually liked this episode a lot. The acting was good and the story was interesting. I too thought Hoshi's story about breaking the superior's arm and having a black belt seemed a bit out of character, but oh well. Beggars can't be choosers.
      MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

I liked this episode.
        Last edited by Mio; 23 January 2005, 08:03 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

I really liked this episode too. Like most people I wasn't sure about these last two episodes at first, and while "Daedalus" was... well, you know... "Observer Effect" was really good. I loved the fact that these aliens turned out to be the Organians from TOS. I'm fully enjoying all these references to TOS this season.

Also, it was great to see those characters a bit more, we usually don't get to see a lot; the acting was really great. While I agree that it seems a bit surprising that Hoshi would have broken a superior's arm, it's interesting where the idea of her having a black belt came from. In a chat with Manny Coto on startrek.com that I read, someone mentioned that Linda Park actually has a black belt; I don't remember in what though. And his response to learning that was maybe they could work that in somewhere. That was back in October, and it seems like they did work it in. So, I was surprised by that, knowing pretty sure where the idea came from...

Well, this was a really good episode. The preview for next week looks pretty good too. I already like the title "United", as in United Federation of Plantes.
          Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

I liked this episode.
            I really liked how they didn't streach it into a 5 part long, boring, crapfest.
            So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains,
            And we never even know we have the key.
            Already Gone---------
            The Eagles-----------

Comment

Originally posted by UnderT
              I liked this episode.
              I really liked how they didn't streach it into a 5 part long, boring, crapfest.
              Although i do like those '2-3 parters', i have to say, Observer Effect was pretty boring to me... unfortunately...
              Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I really liked this episode. Much better then "Dadelus". It was so NICE to see Hoshi actually do something! She was an actual character again instead of a cardboard cut out. I also have to say that even though Reed and Mayweather were really played by aliens most of the time, the same applies to them, they were characters and not cardboard. The Reeves-Stevens are wonderful writers, Ive read some of their Star Trek Books. Linda Park did a great job and as always so did Connor Trinner. This episode actually made me care about Hoshi again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas
                  I really liked this episode. Much better then "Dadelus". It was so NICE to see Hoshi actually do something! She was an actual character again instead of a cardboard cut out. I also have to say that even though Reed and Mayweather were really played by aliens most of the time, the same applies to them, they were characters and not cardboard. The Reeves-Stevens are wonderful writers, Ive read some of their Star Trek Books. Linda Park did a great job and as always so did Connor Trinner. This episode actually made me care about Hoshi again.
                  Well other than my comment about the boringness, i did get a big 'uh oh, they actually maybe dead', and yah... HOSHI! then yah, i was like 'what about Trip' a few seconds later... haha...

Is it me, or do 'really advanced' races seem to have a big enough ego to forget that asking is helpful too? I'm not sure what other shows have that, but i always hear 'we are to advanced' or something like that, and that makes me mad, like the Tollan's in SG1. Its probably just me though.
                  Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Working...
                  X