Analyzing Nox Character Name Schemes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Analyzing Nox Character Name Schemes

Anyone interested in discussing the linguistic nature of Nox names? I realize we have VERY VERY limited knowledge of Nox names, so we have to go on a limb to do so.
    If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
    [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

You'll have to remind me what their names are, because I honestly can't recall any of them...
    "The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, & weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't."
    -Brom in Eragon

Comment

Anteaus
      Lya
      Ohper
      Nefrayu

Anteaus and Lya are somewhat similar to some Greek mythology but its a stretch.

Comment

i don't know much about names, but i do find their language skills interesting. like how they actually seem to learn how to speak english in a few minutes. where as other aliens they come in contact with just speak english.
        sigpic

Comment

Sometimes when aliens are shown speaking English, they are not really speaking it. For example in Summit and Last Stand Daniel was the only person able to infiltrate the Goa'uld meeting because he was the only non Tok'ra/Jaffa who could speak Goa'uld, yet when he gets there everybody speaks English so we must assume they were actually speaking Goa'uld and it was translated for our benefit. Of course that is the only example I can think of, everyone else just speaks English.

As for the Nox language, Anteaus, Lya, Ohper, Nefrayu sound vaguely Latin. So the Nox language could be a derivative of the Ancient language, we know that they had close contact with the Ancients.

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
            Sometimes when aliens are shown speaking English, they are not really speaking it. For example in Summit and Last Stand Daniel was the only person able to infiltrate the Goa'uld meeting because he was the only non Tok'ra/Jaffa who could speak Goa'uld, yet when he gets there everybody speaks English so we must assume they were actually speaking Goa'uld and it was translated for our benefit. Of course that is the only example I can think of, everyone else just speaks English.
            hm... never thought about that. and it would also tie back to any time we see jaffa or goa'ulds talking to each other without sg-1 there.
            sigpic

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that the writers and creators of the show just decided it would be easier if nearly every alien race they met spoke English. That way the characters would have to waste time learning a whole new language.

Comment

Good points everyone. Thanks for posting.
                If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Oh, these are some OC Nox names from gateworld forums contributor Aretood's fanfic: Orpheus and Balqiahs. They've got harmonius-sounding rings to them, in line w. the fairies concept that the Nox spawned.

Comment

Working...
                  X